IMDb > Olympus Has Fallen (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Olympus Has Fallen

Olympus Has Fallen More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 71: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

I counted a few bodies.

Author: Tehmeh from Finland
28 February 2014

This movie was recommended to me by a guy I usually trust. I will continue trusting him.

"Olympus has fallen" has a serious Die Hardish vibe to it. This is a good thing, even though you have basically seen everything before. Plenty of action and surprisingly little anything else. Even my "oh man, they're going to have a kid sidekick aren't they" - fears were put to rest soon enough.

This is a movie where you have to suspend your disbelief. By no means is this film flooding with intelligence or believability, and you should adjust your expectations accordingly. I went in looking for a good action movie that isn't PG13-pussified, and that is exactly what I got. The film never slows down too much, the storyline and villains are decent enough to warrant your attention, the violence is satisfying and the bodycount ends up being impressive without going full Rambo.

Gerard Butler. Oh man, please don't make another romantic comedy. These are the films where you excel! Butler has the looks, physique, charisma and most important of all - passion. His performance is enjoyable to watch and got me to respect him again. No tired old men yelling about being on a vacation here, I promise.

Aaron Eckhart plays his role fine enough, as does Morgan Freeman. The standout from supporting cast was however Melissa Leo. Leo was wonderful in "Red State" and I'm glad to see she hasn't gotten worse. The little screen time she had, she nailed every second with an intense performance.

I do have some complaints, however. It's strange that nowadays a 70-million dollar budget can be considered limited, but here it's exactly what it is. The effects in some scenes look fake, usually the ones involving aircraft action. This doesn't sink the movie and the scenes in question are not bad, but it caught my eye. The oldschool man-to-man combat and shootouts are thankfully well executed from start to finish.

Another (but minor) complaint: geography isn't always established very well. Sometimes it's hard to understand exactly where in the location something is happening, and it doesn't help that in some non-confined action scenes people don't seem to be facing exactly the right way after or before a cut. This takes away some of the immersion and intensity, when you don't have an established "map" in your head.

That's it, no other complaints. I can even take the storyline without nitpicking, it gives a reason for the action itself and for me, that is enough in these movies. If you want this movie to challenge your intellect, you should look elsewhere. If you can't stand American flags or a little patriotic pathos, same answer: look elsewhere.

If this film was a little tighter, little more intense and maybe could've squeezed a few more millions into its budget, it would be a modern action classic for me. Instead, it's just a very solid, enjoyable action movie and that is surely enough. Recommended for action lovers.

Great Film completely keeps on on screen all time without a blink

Author: Vipul Mogre
10 January 2014

The Film is really so good that you are stuck at the screen without even blinking your eye. And it is not predictable too as it is very nicely screenplay.

White House Down and Olympus has Fallen have same theme but both are extremely different movies and both are great really.

Only hiccup I could see was the CG effects were not as appealing as they should have been as it is such an awesome movie. Specially after Transformers set the benchmark about extremely real CG effects, this film falls very very short on that and one can distinguish very easily between actual and CG effects. But they are not very bad either as they communicate what they want to show very well.

But it is definitely a watch in fact can watch it multiple times as acting and action both are stupendously great!!!

Really deserves 10 but due to my opinion about CG effects as being a big fan of it, I gave 8.

Go watch it you wouldn't repent it.

Olympus Has Fallen - Noodels Review

Author: Eman Rahman
19 December 2013

I went into this movie with quite low expectations. Boy, was I surprised. Olympus Has Fallen is more than just a weekend popcorn flick; it's this generation's Die Hard (though not nearly as awesome as Die Hard). In a nutshell, this movie is the story of a former presidential guard who is the only survivor when the White House is captured by North Korean terrorists. Yes, North Koreans. In the 80's, it was Russians. In the early 2000's it was the Middle Easterners. Nowadays, it's the North Koreans who're the bad guys in all our movies.

Anyway, it's all cliché in that the terrorists take the president and hold him for ransom from the government and, additionally, request codes for nuclear missiles. It's not like we haven't seen this before. But Olympus Has Fallen is actually a movie where this all works. Is it believable? Not really. Is it awesome and entertaining? Hell yeah! This movie is just filled with action and intensity, with a badass who saves the day. Gerard Butler's character is a very likable guy, cracking jokes and saving the day, but he also means business. Butler played him greatly and I couldn't help but compare him to John McClane while watching the movie (again, still not as awesome as John McClane but still pretty darn awesome). Aaron Eckhart, as well, was great in the movie. And there's Morgan Freeman; but we know what to expect from Morgan Freeman.

Not only was the acting good and action entertaining, but the movie, itself, was very appreciative. Olympus Has Fallen is a movie that knows what it is. It's not trying to be an Oscar-winner, it's not trying to be a money maker (otherwise they would've made it PG-13). No, this movie is just straight-up what it is. Does that make sense? Probably not, but this movie knew what it was and it did what it aimed to do well: be entertaining and awesome.

Yeah it's "Die Hard" meets "Air Force One" but it ROCKS!!!

Author: Robert Durant from South Carolina
19 July 2014

We don't get many hard hitting action movies like this anymore. Bad guys who mean serious business, the lone hero determined to win the day, people get killed, stuff blows up, and you get to see Ashley Judd die.

What kind of red-blooded all American doesn't like seeing this kind of movie? Of course its not realistic, find an action movie that is. The whole point of a movie like this is to escape FROM reality, to shut your brain off for a couple of hours and have some fun.

And yeah its pretty much Die Hard meets Air Force One but who cares its all about the excitement, seeing whats going to happen next. The only downside I had was that it was a little too obvious who the traitor was in the movie (I mean come on isn't he always a bad guy). Overall I give the movie a solid 10 out of 10. It's exactly what an action movie should be, it gives you the jumps, the thrills, a hero to root for and a villain you love to hate. If you think a movie like this isn't for you I suggest you watch a Twilight movie, it doesn't have Gerard Butler killing terrorists....but it does have a sissy that sparkles.

One of the Best Movies for 2013

Author: JanetIacolino from Nashville, TN
29 April 2014

This movie kept me on the edge of my seat from beginning to end. Superb acting and a great cast!!! Special effects were astounding. Gerard Butler's outstanding performance is very convincing as an ex Special Forces, Secret Service agent. He and his character have the physical skills,the dogged determination and mental focus that allows him to become a one-man army to not only move mountains but a group of terrorists as well. Great action. The fight scenes are so intense and couldn't have been done better. A thumbs up to Melissa Leo in her role,I really liked her performance as well,she was a fighter. I would highly recommend this movie. Disregard the negative critics, and look at it as entertainment.The actors nailed it,see it for yourself. This story was very well done. I had some friends who saw it several times and it was never tiring. The sole hero is like Die Hard but with a whole different story line. It makes you stop and think if this could happen. It gave me chills and made me proud at the end with our flag flying and shows how America comes together once again as a nation.

Awful movie

Author: diogosalazar83 from Recife, Brazil
13 March 2014

Where to begin? 1,000 are not enough to say how bad this movie is. Apparently Washington D.C and the White House are the easiest places to be breeched. Also, the south Korean intelligence agencies are run by an inbred, drooling, moronic idiot who likes to eat his own poo, given the fact that the whole security detachment was made up of north Korean terrorists. Morgan Freeman is firstly shown up as a tough congressman who tells the president that he should tell the north Koreans to frag themselves, when asked what to do if they call our bluff, he responds: "who says we are bluffing?" then, a few hours later he gives EVERYTHING the terrorists asked of him.

This is how it should have happened:

Kang: "I want you to retreat the 7th fleet and your troops from the DMZ, or else I'll kill everyone in here." (this, right after he murdered the south Korean prime minister in cold blood before saying anything)

Acting President Trumbull: "And I want you to surrender all your henchmen and leave all the American citizens held hostage alive or else I'll request tactical nuclear missiles to be dropped on Pyongyang."

Also, whoever designed the software of the Cerberus should be executed after this. How the hell you design a system that is supposed to self-destruct nuclear missiles after they are launched but work just as fine if used even if they are not launched? That's bad QA.

TLDR: this movie should be avoided like a vampire avoids sunlight ("real" vampires, not twilight "vampires").

Best Die Hard rip-off in a good while

Author: Leofwine_draca from United Kingdom
17 January 2014

Forget airs and graces here: OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN is a straightforward siege-based action flick, heavily indebted to DIE HARD and its ilk, offering maximum thrills and spills and little else besides. It's hardly a thinking man's movie but it does ably do what it sets out to do, which is to offer plenty of action, high stakes and suspense.

The story is, in essence, DIE HARD in the White House and there's no more or less to it than that. Gerard Butler is good value in the action stakes (as we already know from 300, so it's a shame he's been wasting away in dumb rom-coms ever since) and the intricate plot sees a huge squad of terrorists kidnapping the President (an unlikely Aaron Eckhart), leaving Butler the only man on the ground with the power to stop them.

The action consists of a handful of brutal hand-to-hand fights and shoot-outs augmented with some CGI stuff of plane attacks and missiles; the CGI isn't great but it's better than you'd find in a B-movie at least. Morgan Freeman shows up as one of those guys whose business it is is to offer sage advice and look worried in equal measure, while Rick Yune tackles the role of lead North Korean terrorist with relish.

OLYMPUS HAS FALLEN isn't perfect by any means; it's occasionally cheesy, occasionally silly, and mostly far-fetched. It could also do with some more action, what there is is a little limited considering the running time of two hours. But it IS a perfect piece of action entertainment, the kind of switch-off-the-brain fun that I look out for in a movie.

Brilliant fun movie

Author: boramoya from London
6 January 2014

I have to say that I really enjoyed this film, yes it was exceptionally violent the plot was none existent and there so many holes in it you could have marketed as a new Swiss cheese but that's not the point....

From the open scene it is nothing but fast paced non stop action. Initially you are laughing to yourself when you first see the big plane and then that laughter turns to shock when you see its full arsenal and what it can do. OK so that bits over and your thinking OK what next the President is going to be fine he is inside the bunker in the Whitehouse, then guess what? It appears that the terrorists have penetrated the inner sanctum of the White house.... I could go on but I do not want to spoil this film for people who want to watch it, which I hope you do If you want. If you want to enjoy this film turn your brain off if you want to see a serious film wait for the next Cohen movie, If you want some high octane fun sit back and watch this.

I'm not at work tomorrow so I'm going to watch again now....Yippe

Good mindless fun

Author: mgruebel from United States
24 December 2013

Like the better Airforce 1 or In the Line of Fire, this movie was not made to be analyzed, but to be watched once for mindless action fun. At that, it succeeds, which is why it has its circa 6 rating on IMDb (an accurate reflection, unlike many highly overrated recent movies).

Yes, it shall remain mysterious how moles infiltrate the highest level of the South Korean government, how terrorists can organize so many trains, planes and automobiles on US soil without ringing red bells, and how a high-jacked US armed forces cargo plane outfitted with antiaircraft equipment gets to clip the Lincoln monument.

But wait, a jetliner did slam into the Pentagon once. Another plane almost made it to the White House, were it not for the bravery of passengers and crew. The FBI missed suicide pilots training on US soil under their noses. As the plot of a pre-2001 film, these would also have been decried as 'impossible' by assorted reviewers.

Fortunately, the point of this movie is not technical accuracy, or logical behavior by the President (who would probably not advise his staff to give away secret codes even when they are tortured), but lively action. The progression of the action, with plenty of dead bodies, excellent set pieces, and a good villain, is carried competently by Gerard Butler and the supporting cast, including Morgan Freeman. The movie hums along with never a boring moment, and the characters are just fleshed out enough for the purpose: the secret service man unable to save the President's wife in the past, redeeming himself by saving the son and preventing the US from becoming vulnerable to a nuclear attack.

I give this movie a bonus star for not being politically correct. Some people who carefully listen to the background track might be offended by tidbits such as a news item that "the Middle East is celebrating that the White House has been attacked."

But wait, were there not elements in the streets of the middle east celebrating when certain buildings in New York went down? The saddest thing I saw on the news on September 11, 2001 was not the World Trade Center going down, but the news video of those cheering middle eastern crowds. The US has done plenty of bad stuff out there, but I don't see Americans cheering about it in the streets.

This film is a primal Hollywood "God save the US" action flick. The politically correct and those who seek acribic accuracy should shun this film, whereas anybody who can take some pretty gory killings and a Die Hard-style tongue-in-cheek approach to action (although Die Hard 1 is better) will be well entertained for their money.

Action Fiction Win

Author: Jason Fowler from Covington, Va
17 November 2013

Haven't seen a good action movie in a while. I fully recommend this one. The acting is good, the plot is just enough and the body count is immense. Don't listen to nay-sayers, this is a work of FICTION... so it does not have to be fully believable.

Gerard Butler does another outstanding job, Morgan Freeman can talk about nothing and I'd watch it and Aaron Eckhart showed another strong role. I just wish he picked up a gun so I could relive the awesome of Battle: Los Angeles.

Great flick, just turn off your Gene Siskel powers (His is off forever lol) and enjoy it.