Olympus Has Fallen (2013) Poster

Dumb Hard
adrongardner31 March 2013
The entire movie I kept waiting for Leslie Nielsen to show up. This has got to be a parody right?

Olympus Has Fallen is the most blatant, and dumbest Die Hard scene for scene copy that has, or more likely, will ever be made. I don't know how security cameras, sub machine guns, rocket launchers or bunkers work, but I'm sure I know they don't work like they do in this movie. This is like a really bad cover to a great, iconic song. Same words, but man, is it painful to experience.

Not only does every single actor in this movie talk with the Jack Bauer and Batman Begins gravel voice, I think this movie is racist and discriminatory too. Not even toward the Koreans, it's also downright Anti-American. Look, there's some dummies that come and go from all levels of our government, but this movie makes reality look pretty sweet because everybody in this one is freaking IQ flat lined. The FBIs Johnson and Johnson (no relation) at the Nakatomi building were smarter than anybody in this one.

Did I mention how dumb this movie is? Don't you have to Arm a missile BEFORE you detonate it? Can you evacuate 30k US troops from the DMZ in 30 minutes? Or, you know the part where they send in the Navy SEALs knowing their own weaponry will cut these brave men down and the CSA, played by Robert Forrester for payday, refuses to call them back after 5/6 helos are smoking? Wait, these guys are probably still alive, they can get out of the chopper and get the job done...

Nah, the movie lets them be dead for the sake of the script so Butler bad dude can go in there and clean house. Even though all his security codes should be revoked for the White House after 18 months reassigned. :( My head hurts.

As an American, folks, I want to publicly apologize for this thing. Also, what the heck hit that first SUV at the beginning of the movie? I still have no idea what that was. But then there I go trying to think. Everything I've been taught to do, my entire life. You know using my powers of deduction and all that education, man forget it. You'll only suffer.

Live free or Dumb Hard. With a Vengeance Harder

P.S. hashtag is shift 3
372 out of 493 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I never write reviews but I have to make an exception for this one...
josefscharfen12 April 2013
I thought the movie would be good - 7.1 rating and excellent actors. And that's actually all, which is good about the movie. So unrealistic and playing the lowest nature of human being, I have actually left the movie theater sad and disgusted with the fact how many people actually cheered out loud during the movie.

a) A plane makes it to D.C. before being intercepted by two raptors, which get shot down and after that only ONE raptor is sent to deal with the threat. b) Disregarding the fact that half of the army would already be all over D.C. when the two jets got shot down, the terrorists are now advancing towards the White House on foot - Humvees and choppers are sent out from across the river and the humvees get there first??? c) all the SS agents just run toward the bullets d) president gets captured and the U.S. chain of command will let the nation be destroyed just because of one man e) WH doesn't use the super secret weapon to defend the premises but somehow the terrorists are able to operate it??? f) Blowing up unarmed ICBMs will destroy the nation??? g) At the end when Butler calls in that they are okay, it takes them 5 mins to get out of the building and no one is going in???

And two things are absolutely worst: 1) Cheap and cheesy nationalism that should actually make people beware is still working to stir up some pretty strong emotions, especially among those whose necks are two feet wide and heads cleanly shaved. I was absolutely horrifies how many people stop thinking when a flag above WH has bullet holes in it and start punching the air, yelling and all together start behaving like animals... It's actually pretty scary, no wonder some people were scared of garrison state after the Cold War started. We are not far from it today... 2) I wonder who REALLY paid for this crap. So cheesy and appealing to the lowest animal nature of dumb people portraying North Korea as new terrorist threat??? (To be fair in one part of the movie they had to say that people in Middle East were celebrating when seeing the WH captured) How lame and pathetic is this... Yes let's go to war with every single country that doesn't necessarily love the United States. At least from the audience I had to sit in, you would probably get good 50 volunteers for the first lines.

Absolutely appalling and scary experience.
482 out of 644 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a Horrible Movie
Quinn91325 March 2013
First of all this rant is going to be filled with SPOILERS so now you are warned.

Where do I begin? Do I start with how the antagonists all have magic bullets and the secret service agents don't or that the good guys are too stupid to seek cover when being fired upon. Maybe I should start with the plane that decimates DC and how it wasn't even questioned on the radio till it was flying over DC. Or maybe how Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) is giving information to Speaker Trumbull (Morgan Freeman) and says that were forty terrorists and now they are down to twenty-eight. Seriously, I think Banning killed over six so out of all the other agents they killed the other half.

My biggest angst is that Kang (Rick Yune) is torturing people for some codes and the President (Aaron Eckhart) keeps saying "Give him the code he will never get mine." and when it finally comes to the point in the movie where Kang needs his code it is ALREADY in the computer. What happened? How did Kang get his code?

Also, the fact that they gave into the terrorist demands over the life of the President is hysterical especially when they bring up the phrase "We do not negotiate with terrorists.".

Overall, I thought this movie should have been renamed a comedy because I have never laughed so hard at all the ridiculous inaccuracies and weak story line.
328 out of 485 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Warmongering and incredible
robert-cogan29 March 2013
I hoped from the previews to see an exciting action flick with spectacular scenes, suspense, maybe some cleverness, heroism and victory in the end. Hyper violent, anti-North Korean war mongering overwhelmed any such values. North Korean "terrorists" are shown as brutal and ruthless as Nazis. American air defense is incredibly skimpy, incompetent and late. Our military leaders are weak saps who cave in to every terrorist demand with "Oh, Pleeze don't hurt our President! We'll do what you want." Our control of our own most potent weapons systems is easily overridden by one woman terrorist at a keyboard. The American SuperDuperHero single-handedly kills many of the terrorists and liberates the President. After killing the UberVillain, he even has a moment to put a bandage on the wounded President. That scene actually made me laugh.

My wife and I regret we paid to see this. Negative emotions stirred up by the film may cause bad effects, mental, such as tolerance for another preemptive war, and bodily, like raised blood pressure, heart rate, stomach acid. With tripe like this, if you liked the wars against Viet Nam, Serbia, and Iraq, you'll probably love our wars on Iran and "Second Korea."
216 out of 333 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Plot has more holes than the bad guys!
khamilton-1125 March 2013
Gerard, where did it all go wrong! I remember Butler as a good actor on his way to being great. He has the personality and the talent to do so much more with his craft. This was formulaic with an absurd plot - which constantly contradicted itself. The entire US foreign policy changed to save the President. No, don't think that would happen - you just get another President. A major sequence where they torture staff to get missile codes with the President vowing never to give his up - which he doesn't, but they somehow tap it into the computer anyway. Eh??? The fight scenes are beyond dumb, the assault on the white House - might appeal to a ten year old. The C140 attack, was so cringe worthy as to make me actually rise out the chair. The General in the control room!!! Stop it. And the flag waving cringeworthy speech at the end - do any Americans still buy into that type of faux patriotism. I so hope not.

You take one look at the cast, and think this must be OK. In fact, you look at the cast and think this might be great.

It's not.
197 out of 304 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Olympus Has Fallen — America is under attack, to hell with logic
Avid Climber16 April 2013
Olympus Has Fallen is yet an other US president oriented flick. A ton of action and special effects with almost as many logical flaws.

The acting is good, particularly Morgan Freeman (to a lesser extent: Gerard Butler and Aaron Eckhart) and there's no denying the roller coaster ride, but it has many shortcomings. Aside from the usual suspension of disbelief, logic fails at almost every turn. Then there's the poor dialogs, the easy retorts, the one dimensional underdeveloped characters, the incredible body count, and the overly flag-centric pride.

It's action based entertainment for sure, but not much else.
150 out of 231 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What "Die Hard 5" should have been.
dvc515922 March 2013
I find it ironic that Gerard Butler, a Scotsman, as disgraced Secret Agent Mike Banning, embodies the spirit of John McClane much more than Bruce Willis did in that last dreadful outing. If anything, Butler has done nothing more than to cement his reputation as a bankable and likable action hero for the new generation in this old-school action movie. He has a commanding presence on-screen, quips wisecracks, bleeds when it's crucial, and dispatches the bad guys in a methodical cross between Jason Bourne and John Rambo. Not even the fine supporting cast (Morgan Freeman, Aaron Eckhart, Angela Bassett, Robert Forster, Melissa Leo, Dylan McDermott) can take away Butler's limelight.

Indeed, Antoine Fuqua's "Olympus Has Fallen" is not only terrific entertainment but a terrific throwback to the pivotal 90's action movie, the Die Hard clone - and this film ("Die Hard" in the White House) is another reminder of why the trusted formula works, even if it has been dormant for nearly two decades (the last good big one being Peter Hyams' "Sudden Death").

From the moment the film's main action start, the film doesn't stop running. The bad guys, hoo boy do they mean business. Rarely, if at all, have I seen this much brutal collateral damage in an American action film. Americans citizens get mowed down by bullets from ground and air forces. The all-American (Scottish) hero represents freedom and justice, and the bad guys represent every American's worst nightmare. I haven't seen this much political incorrectness since "The Delta Force". Having said that, Rick Yune surprisingly makes for an effective and nasty villain, who is relentlessly cold, smug and procedural in his mission, following the formula perfectly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

It's fast, it's loud, it's preposterous, and yet I enjoyed every minute of it. The film is chock-full of sensational and well-shot action sequences/special effects, but its biggest strength is its cohesion. From start to finish the plot moves smoothly, and you can tell who the good guys and the bad guys are. The characters are established, their motives clear, and that's that. The action sequences do not simply skip to each other, they flow perfectly like a stream, thanks to crisp editing. Simplicity is key here, and convoluted plots do not fit in the formula (hear that, "Die Hard 5"?)

Fuqua is no stranger to action, having helmed the solid "Shooter" six years ago. Here he ratchets up the action up to a 10 (CGI is present but used reasonably), and he remarkably doesn't hold back on the tension. It's no "Training Day", but it more or less hearkens back to an Antoine Fuqua who made "The Replacement Killers". Just thrilling fun.

Of course the plot isn't original. It's a genre picture, and what I pay to see in a genre picture is its skillful craft and cohesive plot. This film has both, and resurrects the Die Hard clone from the grave. Here I thought I was getting bored of action movies. The genre is dying, you say? Here's a solid kicker.
324 out of 522 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
God Bless the United States of Fun-Stupid Conservative action movies
MisterWhiplash26 March 2013
Like Milius' Red Dawn (though not quite as accomplished technically), it's both completely indefensible substantively and yet a very enjoyable action film all the same. It knows what it is - jingoistic, idiotic drivel - but it's well shot and competently acted idiotic drivel if that makes sense.

Fuqua, in the mold of Milius, really has his heart-thumping loud and proud as an All-American, but he injects real red-meat and vigor into his direction of the action, which has its chaos but is never hard to follow or disorientating (or it's more controlled chaos to put it another way). Gerard Butler is... as good as he can be, which means he's alright, as an action hero for the first time in a while, and more believable than a Leonidas or whatever. Aaron Eckhardt was just one second away from accidentally yelling "RACHEL!" ala Dark Knight. And Morgan Freeman looked mostly tired, but could still command the screen better than half the rest of the people in the room save for Robert Forster. Oh, and did I mention this movie has a lot of logical gaps (Dylan McDermott's character, for example), and the CGI, such as when a certain rectangular monument is destroyed for no real reason except for cinematic eye-candy, looks so awful that your Windows 95 screen-saver was more convincing? There is that.

Olympus Has Fallen has an innumerable body count, effectively nasty-cum- stock villains, dialog that is to-the-point and story driven (even if that story, again, can be pretty stupid, and when it comes to those nuclear launch codes really needs a Dr. Strangelove in a wheelchair to come in and explain it to the Pentagon people), and I had a fun time watching the violence ensue. Perhaps when stacked up against actual bulls**** like Taken 2 or a Die Hard 5, its cinematic sins are slightly less egregious- it borrows from other films, liberally one might say (a little *original* Die Hard here, Air Force One there, any given hostage- crisis flick there, oh and how about most 24 episodes crammed into the climax), but somehow it trusts its audience to either be dumb enough to enjoy the ride, or that the smart people know its dumb but can enjoy its own dumb logic on its own terms. In other words, it's patently absurd, and all it's missing is a bald eagle to swoop in at the end to congratulate the heroes.
46 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
This movie sucked.
EricR1970-125 March 2013
Cliché, cheesy, inane, boring, predictable ... all could be used to sum up this horrible movie. It sucked, and I want my money back. Because this is America, and when things suck you should be able to get your $8 back.

I mean, I'm all about suspending disbelief in watching a movie. But Let's face it, if the only three people in the world with the detonation codes for every single nuclear missile were all being held hostage by a terrorist in the White House bunker -- which just happened to be the only place in the world where the detonation codes could be changed -- well, I feel pretty confident the order would be given to storm the White House and kill everyone in it ... including the President. And if the cops and the Navy SEALS couldn't handle this task, I feel pretty sure every one of us gun toting rednecks would swarm on the White House and demolish it to the ground in about 15 minutes.

And speaking of stupid, how about that super dooper gun turret they somehow miraculously smuggled into the White House and strategically placed on the roof such that it could shoot down 6 Navy SEAL helicopters??? OMFG! STOOOPID! This movie was Die Hard on steroids. Lame lame lame lame lame, and again, lame. Of course they cap the whole thing off with the proverbial ticking time bomb at the end ... that our hero just manages to deactivate at the last second, saving us all from certain doom.

What has the American population become that they would try to pass off an utterly inane and stupid piece of malarkey like this movie on us as an even marginally plausible scenario for a terrorist attack ... never-mind having only one goober inside able to thwart the attack ... and we as Americans don't stand up en masse and demand our freakin' money back for this garbage?? Cheesy!
139 out of 220 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Big Stars, Black (plot) Holes, a White House
paq55287 April 2013
First off, let me say that the movie is a high production Hollywood film meaning the guns look real, there is ample budget for Apache helicopters and realistic sets, professionally choreographed fight scenes, and the requisite amount of explosions and CGI effects.

However, looking at this film in terms of realistic plot and character development, it lacks quite a bit. Without giving anything away, if you saw the trailer, this shouldn't be a spoiler, we're expected to believe an outrageous number of defensive failures on the part of several security organizations -- enough to bring on a not-so-clever or intriguing attack on the White House. Let's just go with that for a moment, using our advanced sense of Hollywood suspended disbelief syndrome and hope that, although the plot is implausible, at least the characters make it real.

Morgan Freeman gives one of his most cardboard, stale acting appearances ever. The stereotypical military head says to blow things up, the more reticent advisers say to act cautiously, the President decries the inhumanity of killing staff members while the body count from the aforementioned guns and ammo displays and explosions count easily into the many dozens (hundreds likely, difficult to count). Our one last hope is Gerard Butler. I must say I like him as an action hero, and he played his role well here. But he was vaguely a man of action at the beginning of the movie, albeit at a desk for a few brief moments about 10 minutes in to 14 minutes into the movie, and he was a more defined man of action by the end of the movie -- don't look for any more character development from any character in the movie at any time. That was it; no development whatsoever. It's like asking for architectural and civil planning lessons from the suburbs of Detroit. The phrase "devoid of" comes to mind.

Watch this only if you want some mindless action without having to think at all. And once again you can wave a patriotic American flag at the end and put another point forward for American exceptionalism.
72 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Very Strong Razzie Nominee
merdiolu2 April 2013
What can I say ? First of all congratulations Antonio Fuqua. Selling and getting BO profit from a production straight lifted or ripped down to last inane dialog from a B grade cheese flick you can rent from Blockbuster or Netflix is an accomplishment no one can deny. It is even more impressive to get positive reviews for this silly trash that takes itself seriously which makes it even more terrible. When this thing was called Air Force One everyone every critic ripped it apart. Only explanations Olympus Has Fallen getting a 7+ point in IMDb ( a rating system which I will never take care of ) after so many years can be decreasing IQ of mass movie going audience and insecurities of 9/11 on US public. Every dumb stupid over the top Die Hard action cliché was crammed in this production. A C-130 gunship entering restricted DC airspace before shot down from a safe distance beggars belief. Or highly trained Secret Service agents wasting ammunition on a fast flying armoured aircraft. Or same agents exposing themselves only to be mown down. North Korean terrorists ( yeah you read that right Korean ) are depicted more like Orcs or Klingons. Any actual Koreans watching this film would probably laugh his ass off. At least in Hollyland Number 1 villains are not Middle Easterns with cheesy Arab accents anymore. What else ? Fallen military trained lone wolf hero killing all of them one by one , meanwhile taunting evil mastermind ( who makes one of most ridiculous evil turnout / reveal scene just by taking glasses off. Rick Yune is just not Gary Oldman ) with US macho jargon and saves the day. Down to talking to his wife in the middle of war zone he basically screams "I am a John McLane looka like no:10241." Failed military strike to retake captured building to increase tension. Oh look only 3 seconds left to disaster...AAAAAND it is averted.

Last year Hollywood Powers That Be gave us Lockout which had basically same script but also semi enjoyable but this is just awful. I completely erased Gerard Butler from list of professional actors in fact I will stay away from his films away from now on. Aaron Eckhart , Morgan Freeman and Dylan McDermott will have to struggle a lot to redeem themselves in my eyes after this.

Have I mentioned shoddy CGI or annoying heroic /sad music during supposedly heroic/sad moments ?
226 out of 374 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Turn off your brain, relax and enjoy the action ride!!
kobold-2313 April 2013
We've asked for a real Die Hard movie, for a very long time.

We've asked for a real R rated action movie, for a while.

We've asked for a decent and crazy actioner for a long time.

There you have it. Olympus Has Fallen is the movie that has everything you were waiting to see. Thankfully, Bruce Willis is on vacation ( just like he claimed several times, in Die Hard 5). So, he is nowhere to be seen, thankfully. We have a good amount of violence, shootouts and action.

It's important and really honest if you like the movie for what it is, a fun, crazy and silly action movie with some good lines and some good acting. So, like it for what it is, but don't hate it for what it isn't. It's not meant to be a serious, edgy and visceral movie. It's Die Hard in White House, plain and simple.

You'll find the same old plot holes that similar movies had, but don't be scared. The flaws won't take away the fun you'll have with the flick.

The movie is not for kids or babies. It's very violent and they don't hold any punch regarding the display of violence and brutality on screen. Woman, men, that doesn't matter. Headshots, impalings, explosions and lots of deaths. That's about it.

Don't walk to the cinema, expecting to see a serious and complex thriller. This is a action movie that doesn't stop until its ending. You have 25 minutes of "building up" and after that, the action is pretty much nonstop.

Yeah, you'll see patriotism, but then again, a movie about the White Houlse wouldn't forget anything about it.

Finally: Go watch it for the action and some of the acting.
109 out of 177 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hollywood has fallen
kristina5 May 2013
One of the worst I have seen in a while - only didn't walk out because the 35-year old boy with me seemed to enjoy it (:-). Jingoistic, racist, ultra-violent, simplistic crap - young male white über-hero single-handedly saves the American president, yawn...

It probably doesn't help that the last film I saw was the wonderful French "The Intouchables"...However, I do love the "Bourne" trilogy, "Mercury rising", "Argo" and various other action movies. I just find it offensive that a gazillion dollars are being wasted on this trash which could be used to produce something clever, witty, entertaining but not moronic.

Afterthought: Do you really need the money that badly, Morgan? (et al)
67 out of 111 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Shoot the boredom.
If I was a critic I would have written this movie off. Saying that its just one of those movies with the same old plot with a bit modification. This is true, but as an audience I thoroughly enjoyed this movie.

The best thing about this movie is its pace. You won't know how fast the 110 minutes go. There's not a minute you feel bored. The attack sequences are bit over the top, but if you are a drama lover, you won't be disappointed. The storyline isn't much to think about but the screenplay is apt. Its a good thing that the director Antonie Fuqua keeps things simple, doesn't dig too much into the conspiracy stuff and also doesn't include any unnecessary twists.

Gerard Butler does what he does best, fight bad guys. Aaron Eckhart as the stern faced president reminds you of Harvey Dent. Morgan Freeman probably is there to strengthen the star value in the film. But its the villain Rick Yune with his evil smile who impresses.

This is an out and out entertainer, don't think too much, just be in the moment and watch this movie.
251 out of 451 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wow, just Wow
I was looking forward to watch this one and had high expectations without knowing that I would watch another obvious and typical American movie. I admit that the action was OK but there were too many stereotypes and plot holes. I am getting sick and tired of those kind of movies, in which the Americans save their world, their president and one man single-handedly takes down a gazillion enemies with just a butterknife. Don't you people realize that those happy endings with the president surviving and adressing to the nation are just pathetic? At the end of the movie I was hoping that that korean dude would make it and nuke the entire country but no oh no, the president gets shot and the one-man American army saves the world with three seconds left on the clock. Come on now. Even you Americans can come up with something better than that. I will start avoiding those kind of movies and rather watch CSI Miami reruns.
57 out of 94 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Stupid Fuqua
MartianTom19 April 2013
I don't get it. This guy's delivered us some pretty decent movies in the past. 'Tears of the Sun', 'Training Day', 'Brooklyn's Finest', 'Shooter'.

So, what's happened here? Admittedly, he was hamstrung with a dire, puerile script. But why get involved in the first place? The same goes for the actors. Aaron Eckhart was saying he'd like to be more famous, to have more control over his film choices. I can see why. Anything to get out of doing something this bad. Not even Morgan Freeman can bring the film any much-needed gravitas, even though he's the best actor here.

People talk about the depth of characterisation. Pardon? There wasn't a single believable character in the entire film. They were all cardboard cut-outs and stereotypes.

In all, this was little more than a two-hour computer game. No... it wasn't even that. At least with a computer game, you get a sense of narrative. You also have some control over the outcome. This just hobbled along from one CGI, blood-and-guts set piece to the next with tedious predictability. It was like watching an episode of 'Thunderbirds', though without the tension and intelligence.

If it's meant as a propaganda piece on the prevailing nature of American might and spirit, it fails abysmally. In fact, King Jong Un will be mightily reassured. On the basis of this, America will be a walkover for him.
367 out of 688 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
What a dud!
jackiestwo6 April 2013
There were so many ridiculous aspects to this movie, it is hard to name them all. An old clunker transport plane gets into the DC airspace and magically transforms to some high-tech piece of machinery, all within arm's reach of the US military planes...the lack of negotiation with terrorists is actually the US giving the terrorists everything they ask for. All so they will not kill our president. NO president is worth all that...Susan Sarandon's character reciting the Pledge of Allegiance as she is being dragged to her supposed death...the N Korean army of about 20 taking out all the secret service and US military...the use of a single gauze on an abdominal gunshot wound...Seriously, who wrote this crap??? It was abysmal, to put a positive spin on it. When Morgan Freeman (Speaker of the House) became acting President, all I could think was thank goodness it's not either Nancy Pelosi or John Beohner.
68 out of 117 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Jingoist Hollywood Propaganda Trash. Vomit inducingly so.
James Farmer11 September 2013
This film is dire. First 20-30 minutes are acceptable, just about. I hoped the movie may improve. Alas, I was wrong. The last 30 minutes are top drawer trash. The middle is, well trash as well… Patriotism and propaganda it seems is ABSOLUTELY all Hollywood is about these days. I know Hollywood have always done their fair share for "war" efforts. However, with the Soviets no longer a threat and they've all but finished bashing the poor folks from the Arabian peninsula, now it's on to North Korea. One man, Yes ONE man, (American man of course) saves not just the day, but the president, not once but TWICE, saves his son to boot, plus he saves the White House (albeit in part). During the mayhem and chaos and one man army Heroics our man still finds time to make flippant calls on his "cell" to his beautiful wife; herself an all American Heroin working in the ER (blood smears and wide eyes cuteness to spare). The musical score is so trite and jingoistic it is vomit inducing - make sure you have a sick bag handy. Everyone involved in this excuse for a movie should take a long hard luck at the drivel they have churned out.
28 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Liked it better the 1st time, when it was called "Under Siege"
Mr. Nice Hands4 April 2013
WARNING - CONTAINS SPOILER(S) ***************************** Is it just me, or did they just take the storyline from "Under Siege" and say, "Hey lets just do this over - but use the White House instead of a ship...." Seriously, this is the EXACT SAME STORY, only in a different setting! I haven't seen any reviews that point out this glaring fact yet - if they're out there and I missed them, I apologize up front in the case of any repetition! Apparently, Steven Seagal was unavailable for the 3rd installment of the 'UndSeg' trilogy - he's probably busy with some mega-badass projects that call for lots of ponytails and squinting. So what did casting say?? Screw it!! Throw a Scotsman in there to save the American president! Gary Busey can't play the treasonous double-agent part again? No prob, just use Dylan McDermott instead...not as much of a maniac, maybe - but he was in Jersey Girl! Tommy Lee Jones too busy shooting commercials to lead an elite terrorist squad? Can we use a Korean guy instead?? They even kept the two big knife fights at the end : the one where Seagal/Butler dispatches the traitor Busey/McDermott, and the one that where Jones/Yune winds up with a skull full of knife... Surely I'm not the only one who caught this...

Positive note : special effects were great Great for : people with a 5th grade education or lower, and who have never seen the actual White House Hidden Message : Let's all fear, hate, and mistrust yellow people now!!
38 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A possible new Die Hard with a fun time
alindsay-al18 June 2014
This is a fun film and nothing else really, this is just 2 hours of pure fun and sometimes that is good and this is one of those films. Ex Secret service member Michael Banning is the only man who can save the president of the united States from a North Korean Terrorist group attacking the white house. Gerard Butler is a good lead and is a great action hero with some one liners reminding me of a Die Hard film or an Arnold film. Aaron Eckhart is a great president and truly makes out like a president should be in a film like this in this situation. The Villain was good in his role as a seemingly generic terrorist and Morgan Freeman is great as the speaker and really does steal the show at a few points. The Story is pretty generic and really could be argued to be the biggest weakness as it really is as generic as possible and similar to previous films. Also the script is okay but it could have been better in these circumstances. The style though is really cool and the cinematography shows just how high the stakes are in this film and how important this film really is. Also the fact that this is an 18 means they take the violence up and it grounds this film in much more reality then films such as White House Down. This is a great action film and I believe that this is a good step for action films.
6 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Olympus Has Fallen" falls short of reality
Jim Fordyce14 April 2013
by Jim Fordyce AmericanEntertainmentReport.com Rating: 1 Out of Fordyce

One of my goals since a hospital stay was to catch up on movies I missed. I wanted to see "Olympus Has Fallen," and now I wish I hadn't bothered.

This is the story of an attack on Washington, D.C.—more specifically, The White House—by a rogue North Korean faction.

President Asher and the Veep are held hostage, leaving the Speaker of the House in charge and hilarity ensues. The problem is this: the movie was not supposed to be funny.

This film bases itself on the premise that there are so many lapses in security in our nation's capital that you can just take over the The Executive Mansion. If you know even the basics about how we protect ourselves, you have to laugh at this film. Without going into the tedious details, let's just say I was surprised that 18 months after he left the presidential detail, our hero, Secret Service agent Mike Banning (Gerard Butler), still has all his passwords and knows the combination to the safe in the Oval Office. He was removed from the president's side after the most implausible car accident ever put on film. It could not have occurred unless laws of physics were changed, the president's car was made of plastic, and every agent on the president's detail violated just about every safety protocol.

In this turkey, President Asher, played by Aaron Eckhart, comes off as a complete whimpy moron who apparently has not been briefed about any security procedures. We also learn our Army and Air Force are ill prepared for any kind of attack. They don't recognize a disguised plane in much the same manner that Ricky never Recognized Lucy when she wore a wig. Somehow, these terrorists found all kinds of weapons, including an armoured car and a vintage bomber, with the ease of a shopping trip to Walmart.

Morgan Freeman, who plays the Speaker of the House, is thrust into the scenario as acting president; he looks like he is phoning it in. I guess he was disappointed he didn't get to play the real president. I wonder if he is only allowed to be president when asteroids are approaching Earth. I was also surprised to learn that the head of the secret service makes the call and appoints him acting president.

If you buy into any of this BS, the movie has a few good action scenes as our hero (Butler) steps over the bodies of what seems like everyone in the White House to try and save the president, his son, and the world in another implausible scene. I won't spoil it for you, but let's just say that if the president was shot, he would not be allowed to walk to the ambulance.

The action scenes and a great exchange between "Super Agent"and some North Korean gunmen gets this movie all the way up to a poor one out of Fordyce.

This film is now playing at the Ultra Star Mary Pickford in Cathedral City, but there are several screens there, so you might want to try another movie.

Credit Check: Even I didn't stay. This movie already wasted two hours of my life,
205 out of 400 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
God this movie is stupid
dlevin941623 February 2014
It just reeks of stupid everywhere - and it's not even fun stupid. It's just stupid gory stupid. It's painfully transparent, the foreshadowing (they won't get my password - yes they will) - it's like everyone took a stupid pill in the morning. Secret Service agents disobeying protocol because the President said so (their job is to protect him from himself), running INTO gunfire instead of retreating to a defendable position, a plane making it to 30 min outside of DC without being picked up on radar (UM NO), hundreds of NK soldiers making it onto US soil without any explanation as to how they passed customs - and it KEEPS GETTING DUMBER. You can't watch this with your brain off because it keeps insulting you each time you try to. God it's not even good as background noise bc of how dumb it is.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Crappy Die-Hard genre movie resting on a flawed gimmick
majic-531 March 2013
Do you know what would happen if you blew up every single U.S. ICBM as it sat in its silo? No? Well neither do the bad guys in this movie who plan to do just that to inflict suffering and famine on the U.S. Let me tell you: You'd get a lot of damaged silos from the chemical reactions and the kinetic effects of missile shrapnel.

What you wouldn't get is a single nuclear detonation, because ICBM missiles have to be armed with launch codes before they can go BOOM. And since the terrorists in this movie never even asked for those codes, the country was never in any danger, and everybody around the command center table in that movie should go take remedial Missiles 101.
49 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Enjoyable Action with Character
LordJiggy23 March 2013
First, you know this film was pitched as "Die Hard in the White House." Yet, given that limitation, the film manages to avoid a number of pitfalls that have crept into the many lesser imitations of the first (and still best of them) "Die Hard." It's the characters in the film that keep it from being too much of a cartoon. The lead character, played by Butler, has had a fall a grace. In a more clichéd film, he'd be a broken, embittered alcoholic (e.g., Kevin Bacon in "The Following") who happens upon a chance for redemption and salvation. Instead, Butler's Secret Service agent is getting on with his life in a desk job, disappointed, anxious to be of more use, but not a shambling wreck of a human. He is a career professional, and when the events of the story take place, he reacts like a professional. The wisecracks are few (he doesn't "kill n' quip") and understated, which makes them more effective. Other characters have small touches (especially Melissa Leo) that make them distinctive and worth rooting for. A very welcome touch is the way the film-makers foil our expectations...they've seen many of the same movies, and rather than follow the cookie-cutter approach of bad scripts, they twist those situations to make them new and interesting.

The action is well done and exciting. It's not a perfect film, but more than competent, continually engaging, and, in the highest praise I can offer, worth full price.
126 out of 242 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
eophh24 March 2013
At first, I thought that I may not be doing enough justice to the movie and maybe comparing too much which Argo. However after some thinking, I realized that this movie is truly bizarre. The director and story writers did whatever they pleased to show some mindless action. But there are much better movies for that like die hard (this movie seems in fact an attempt to be Die Hard), mission impossible and James Bond movies which at least create those settings where one can still indulge in the action.

I think the intent in this movie was to say that the entire US military and homeland security is a big failure run by an incompetent management throughout and there is only one savior to the White House who is a banished member of President's security team. Maybe I went to the movie with high hopes. Toning them to the rock bottom might help.

PS: Ordinarily I would have given the movie 4 stars, but have deducted one star for wasting the talent of Morgan Freeman
164 out of 324 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this