IMDb > Olympus Has Fallen (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Olympus Has Fallen

Olympus Has Fallen More at IMDbPro »

Interleaved...
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 6.5.
Reviews from users who voted this title less than 6.5.
Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]
Index 403 matching reviews (705 reviews in total)

I never write reviews but I have to make an exception for this one...

Author: josefscharfen from Tuckahoe, New York
12 April 2013

I thought the movie would be good - 7.1 rating and excellent actors. And that's actually all, which is good about the movie. So unrealistic and playing the lowest nature of human being, I have actually left the movie theater sad and disgusted with the fact how many people actually cheered out loud during the movie.

a) A plane makes it to D.C. before being intercepted by two raptors, which get shot down and after that only ONE raptor is sent to deal with the threat. b) Disregarding the fact that half of the army would already be all over D.C. when the two jets got shot down, the terrorists are now advancing towards the White House on foot - Humvees and choppers are sent out from across the river and the humvees get there first??? c) all the SS agents just run toward the bullets d) president gets captured and the U.S. chain of command will let the nation be destroyed just because of one man e) WH doesn't use the super secret weapon to defend the premises but somehow the terrorists are able to operate it??? f) Blowing up unarmed ICBMs will destroy the nation??? g) At the end when Butler calls in that they are okay, it takes them 5 mins to get out of the building and no one is going in???

And two things are absolutely worst: 1) Cheap and cheesy nationalism that should actually make people beware is still working to stir up some pretty strong emotions, especially among those whose necks are two feet wide and heads cleanly shaved. I was absolutely horrifies how many people stop thinking when a flag above WH has bullet holes in it and start punching the air, yelling and all together start behaving like animals... It's actually pretty scary, no wonder some people were scared of garrison state after the Cold War started. We are not far from it today... 2) I wonder who REALLY paid for this crap. So cheesy and appealing to the lowest animal nature of dumb people portraying North Korea as new terrorist threat??? (To be fair in one part of the movie they had to say that people in Middle East were celebrating when seeing the WH captured) How lame and pathetic is this... Yes let's go to war with every single country that doesn't necessarily love the United States. At least from the audience I had to sit in, you would probably get good 50 volunteers for the first lines.

Absolutely appalling and scary experience.

Dumb Hard

Author: adrongardner from USA
31 March 2013

The entire movie I kept waiting for Leslie Nielsen to show up. This has got to be a parody right?

Olympus Has Fallen is the most blatant, and dumbest Die Hard scene for scene copy that has, or more likely, will ever be made. I don't know how security cameras, sub machine guns, rocket launchers or bunkers work, but I'm sure I know they don't work like they do in this movie. This is like a really bad cover to a great, iconic song. Same words, but man, is it painful to experience.

Not only does every single actor in this movie talk with the Jack Bauer and Batman Begins gravel voice, I think this movie is racist and discriminatory too. Not even toward the Koreans, it's also downright Anti-American. Look, there's some dummies that come and go from all levels of our government, but this movie makes reality look pretty sweet because everybody in this one is freaking IQ flat lined. The FBIs Johnson and Johnson (no relation) at the Nakatomi building were smarter than anybody in this one.

Did I mention how dumb this movie is? Don't you have to Arm a missile BEFORE you detonate it? Can you evacuate 30k US troops from the DMZ in 30 minutes? Or, you know the part where they send in the Navy SEALs knowing their own weaponry will cut these brave men down and the CSA, played by Robert Forrester for payday, refuses to call them back after 5/6 helos are smoking? Wait, these guys are probably still alive, they can get out of the chopper and get the job done...

Nah, the movie lets them be dead for the sake of the script so Butler bad dude can go in there and clean house. Even though all his security codes should be revoked for the White House after 18 months reassigned. :( My head hurts.

As an American, folks, I want to publicly apologize for this thing. Also, what the heck hit that first SUV at the beginning of the movie? I still have no idea what that was. But then there I go trying to think. Everything I've been taught to do, my entire life. You know using my powers of deduction and all that education, man forget it. You'll only suffer.

Live free or Dumb Hard. With a Vengeance Harder

P.S. hashtag is shift 3

What a Horrible Movie

Author: Quinn913 from United States
25 March 2013

First of all this rant is going to be filled with SPOILERS so now you are warned.

Where do I begin? Do I start with how the antagonists all have magic bullets and the secret service agents don't or that the good guys are too stupid to seek cover when being fired upon. Maybe I should start with the plane that decimates DC and how it wasn't even questioned on the radio till it was flying over DC. Or maybe how Mike Banning (Gerard Butler) is giving information to Speaker Trumbull (Morgan Freeman) and says that were forty terrorists and now they are down to twenty-eight. Seriously, I think Banning killed over six so out of all the other agents they killed the other half.

My biggest angst is that Kang (Rick Yune) is torturing people for some codes and the President (Aaron Eckhart) keeps saying "Give him the code he will never get mine." and when it finally comes to the point in the movie where Kang needs his code it is ALREADY in the computer. What happened? How did Kang get his code?

Also, the fact that they gave into the terrorist demands over the life of the President is hysterical especially when they bring up the phrase "We do not negotiate with terrorists.".

Overall, I thought this movie should have been renamed a comedy because I have never laughed so hard at all the ridiculous inaccuracies and weak story line.

Warmongering and incredible

Author: robert-cogan from United States
29 March 2013

I hoped from the previews to see an exciting action flick with spectacular scenes, suspense, maybe some cleverness, heroism and victory in the end. Hyper violent, anti-North Korean war mongering overwhelmed any such values. North Korean "terrorists" are shown as brutal and ruthless as Nazis. American air defense is incredibly skimpy, incompetent and late. Our military leaders are weak saps who cave in to every terrorist demand with "Oh, Pleeze don't hurt our President! We'll do what you want." Our control of our own most potent weapons systems is easily overridden by one woman terrorist at a keyboard. The American SuperDuperHero single-handedly kills many of the terrorists and liberates the President. After killing the UberVillain, he even has a moment to put a bandage on the wounded President. That scene actually made me laugh.

My wife and I regret we paid to see this. Negative emotions stirred up by the film may cause bad effects, mental, such as tolerance for another preemptive war, and bodily, like raised blood pressure, heart rate, stomach acid. With tripe like this, if you liked the wars against Viet Nam, Serbia, and Iraq, you'll probably love our wars on Iran and "Second Korea."

A Very Strong Razzie Nominee

Author: merdiolu from Istanbul, Turkey
2 April 2013

What can I say ? First of all congratulations Antonio Fuqua. Selling and getting BO profit from a production straight lifted or ripped down to last inane dialog from a B grade cheese flick you can rent from Blockbuster or Netflix is an accomplishment no one can deny. It is even more impressive to get positive reviews for this silly trash that takes itself seriously which makes it even more terrible. When this thing was called Air Force One everyone every critic ripped it apart. Only explanations Olympus Has Fallen getting a 7+ point in IMDb ( a rating system which I will never take care of ) after so many years can be decreasing IQ of mass movie going audience and insecurities of 9/11 on US public. Every dumb stupid over the top Die Hard action cliché was crammed in this production. A C-130 gunship entering restricted DC airspace before shot down from a safe distance beggars belief. Or highly trained Secret Service agents wasting ammunition on a fast flying armoured aircraft. Or same agents exposing themselves only to be mown down. North Korean terrorists ( yeah you read that right Korean ) are depicted more like Orcs or Klingons. Any actual Koreans watching this film would probably laugh his ass off. At least in Hollyland Number 1 villains are not Middle Easterns with cheesy Arab accents anymore. What else ? Fallen military trained lone wolf hero killing all of them one by one , meanwhile taunting evil mastermind ( who makes one of most ridiculous evil turnout / reveal scene just by taking glasses off. Rick Yune is just not Gary Oldman ) with US macho jargon and saves the day. Down to talking to his wife in the middle of war zone he basically screams "I am a John McLane looka like no:10241." Failed military strike to retake captured building to increase tension. Oh look only 3 seconds left to disaster...AAAAAND it is averted.

Last year Hollywood Powers That Be gave us Lockout which had basically same script but also semi enjoyable but this is just awful. I completely erased Gerard Butler from list of professional actors in fact I will stay away from his films away from now on. Aaron Eckhart , Morgan Freeman and Dylan McDermott will have to struggle a lot to redeem themselves in my eyes after this.

Have I mentioned shoddy CGI or annoying heroic /sad music during supposedly heroic/sad moments ?

Stupid Fuqua

Author: MartianTom from United Kingdom
19 April 2013

I don't get it. This guy's delivered us some pretty decent movies in the past. 'Tears of the Sun', 'Training Day', 'Brooklyn's Finest', 'Shooter'.

So, what's happened here? Admittedly, he was hamstrung with a dire, puerile script. But why get involved in the first place? The same goes for the actors. Aaron Eckhart was saying he'd like to be more famous, to have more control over his film choices. I can see why. Anything to get out of doing something this bad. Not even Morgan Freeman can bring the film any much-needed gravitas, even though he's the best actor here.

People talk about the depth of characterisation. Pardon? There wasn't a single believable character in the entire film. They were all cardboard cut-outs and stereotypes.

In all, this was little more than a two-hour computer game. No... it wasn't even that. At least with a computer game, you get a sense of narrative. You also have some control over the outcome. This just hobbled along from one CGI, blood-and-guts set piece to the next with tedious predictability. It was like watching an episode of 'Thunderbirds', though without the tension and intelligence.

If it's meant as a propaganda piece on the prevailing nature of American might and spirit, it fails abysmally. In fact, King Jong Un will be mightily reassured. On the basis of this, America will be a walkover for him.

Hollywood has fallen

Author: kristina from New Zealand
5 May 2013

One of the worst I have seen in a while - only didn't walk out because the 35-year old boy with me seemed to enjoy it (:-). Jingoistic, racist, ultra-violent, simplistic crap - young male white über-hero single-handedly saves the American president, yawn...

It probably doesn't help that the last film I saw was the wonderful French "The Intouchables"...However, I do love the "Bourne" trilogy, "Mercury rising", "Argo" and various other action movies. I just find it offensive that a gazillion dollars are being wasted on this trash which could be used to produce something clever, witty, entertaining but not moronic.

Afterthought: Do you really need the money that badly, Morgan? (et al)

What a dud!

Author: jackiestwo from United States
6 April 2013

There were so many ridiculous aspects to this movie, it is hard to name them all. An old clunker transport plane gets into the DC airspace and magically transforms to some high-tech piece of machinery, all within arm's reach of the US military planes...the lack of negotiation with terrorists is actually the US giving the terrorists everything they ask for. All so they will not kill our president. NO president is worth all that...Susan Sarandon's character reciting the Pledge of Allegiance as she is being dragged to her supposed death...the N Korean army of about 20 taking out all the secret service and US military...the use of a single gauze on an abdominal gunshot wound...Seriously, who wrote this crap??? It was abysmal, to put a positive spin on it. When Morgan Freeman (Speaker of the House) became acting President, all I could think was thank goodness it's not either Nancy Pelosi or John Beohner.

Jingoist Hollywood Propaganda Trash. Vomit inducingly so.

Author: James Farmer from United Kingdom
11 September 2013

This film is dire. First 20-30 minutes are acceptable, just about. I hoped the movie may improve. Alas, I was wrong. The last 30 minutes are top drawer trash. The middle is, well trash as well… Patriotism and propaganda it seems is ABSOLUTELY all Hollywood is about these days. I know Hollywood have always done their fair share for "war" efforts. However, with the Soviets no longer a threat and they've all but finished bashing the poor folks from the Arabian peninsula, now it's on to North Korea. One man, Yes ONE man, (American man of course) saves not just the day, but the president, not once but TWICE, saves his son to boot, plus he saves the White House (albeit in part). During the mayhem and chaos and one man army Heroics our man still finds time to make flippant calls on his "cell" to his beautiful wife; herself an all American Heroin working in the ER (blood smears and wide eyes cuteness to spare). The musical score is so trite and jingoistic it is vomit inducing - make sure you have a sick bag handy. Everyone involved in this excuse for a movie should take a long hard luck at the drivel they have churned out.

"Olympus Has Fallen" falls short of reality

Author: Jim Fordyce (americanentertainmentreport@gmail.com) from United States
14 April 2013

by Jim Fordyce AmericanEntertainmentReport.com Rating: 1 Out of Fordyce

One of my goals since a hospital stay was to catch up on movies I missed. I wanted to see "Olympus Has Fallen," and now I wish I hadn't bothered.

This is the story of an attack on Washington, D.C.—more specifically, The White House—by a rogue North Korean faction.

President Asher and the Veep are held hostage, leaving the Speaker of the House in charge and hilarity ensues. The problem is this: the movie was not supposed to be funny.

This film bases itself on the premise that there are so many lapses in security in our nation's capital that you can just take over the The Executive Mansion. If you know even the basics about how we protect ourselves, you have to laugh at this film. Without going into the tedious details, let's just say I was surprised that 18 months after he left the presidential detail, our hero, Secret Service agent Mike Banning (Gerard Butler), still has all his passwords and knows the combination to the safe in the Oval Office. He was removed from the president's side after the most implausible car accident ever put on film. It could not have occurred unless laws of physics were changed, the president's car was made of plastic, and every agent on the president's detail violated just about every safety protocol.

In this turkey, President Asher, played by Aaron Eckhart, comes off as a complete whimpy moron who apparently has not been briefed about any security procedures. We also learn our Army and Air Force are ill prepared for any kind of attack. They don't recognize a disguised plane in much the same manner that Ricky never Recognized Lucy when she wore a wig. Somehow, these terrorists found all kinds of weapons, including an armoured car and a vintage bomber, with the ease of a shopping trip to Walmart.

Morgan Freeman, who plays the Speaker of the House, is thrust into the scenario as acting president; he looks like he is phoning it in. I guess he was disappointed he didn't get to play the real president. I wonder if he is only allowed to be president when asteroids are approaching Earth. I was also surprised to learn that the head of the secret service makes the call and appoints him acting president.

If you buy into any of this BS, the movie has a few good action scenes as our hero (Butler) steps over the bodies of what seems like everyone in the White House to try and save the president, his son, and the world in another implausible scene. I won't spoil it for you, but let's just say that if the president was shot, he would not be allowed to walk to the ambulance.

The action scenes and a great exchange between "Super Agent"and some North Korean gunmen gets this movie all the way up to a poor one out of Fordyce.

This film is now playing at the Ultra Star Mary Pickford in Cathedral City, but there are several screens there, so you might want to try another movie.

Credit Check: Even I didn't stay. This movie already wasted two hours of my life,

Page 1 of 41:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]