IMDb > "Breaking Bad" Gliding Over All (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Breaking Bad: Gliding Over All (#5.8)"

"Breaking Bad" Gliding Over All (2012)

« Prev | 54 of 62 Episodes | Next »

Holy sh*t.

Author: rcraig561 from United States
2 September 2012

When I first heard they were doing a fifth and final season to conclude this show I was overjoyed. Not because I want the show to end but because if the journey getting there is this damn good, then the ending is going to completely melt my mind. But after watching this episode, my emotions about this show ending have dramatically changed. I now extremely loath the idea of this show ending because there is not a doubt in my mind that there is never going to be another television show that can come close to the greatness and perfection that is Breaking Bad. At least not in my lifetime. And even if you don't agree with me 100% about the show being so phenomenal, you can't deny that this mid-season finale kept you on the edge of your seat and then falling off it during the last minute of the episode. And then you were probably as angry as I was when you remembered that we have to wait until next year for the next episode.

Nothing does cliffhangers like Breaking Bad

Author: ben wells from London
4 September 2012

Every season of Breaking Bad does it: that moment when you realise your jaw has dropped and you are completely aghast at two separate things - the shocking turn of events and the fearless brilliance of the shows creators. The 'mid-season finale' does not disappoint.

I can scarcely thing of a less predictable show than BB. No matter if you guess one of the things that might happen - you'll never guess how, and anyone who hasn't seen this episode should run mile from anyone who tries to spoil it for them. Again, Vince Gilligan makes amazing use of the shows back catalogue of episodes to make this episode fit so beautifully, almost poetically, as a key point in the story of so many characters. It ends the mini-season leaving you itching to jump forward in time so you can find out what happens next, and is easily the best episode in what has been another incredible season.

Discussions will rage on geek sites for the next 8 months and in bars all over the US and hopefully the world about what should happen, what will happen, who the hero of the show is or will be, and who will survive. The saddest thing is that this masterpiece of television will end next year, leaving a Sopranos-sized whole in the lives of all those who have watched it.

Absolutely brilliant

Author: rzahrai from Sydney
3 September 2012

No other series in television history has so cleverly been able to transmute the protagonist into the antagonist in such an incremental, turn-by-turn almost justified way; and this episode ultimately shows that Walt, no matter how honest his intentions of reform were, is unable to escape from the consequences of choices he has made and from the reality that, hiding in plain sight can only protect for so long.

An absolutely brilliant episode of sheer film directing brilliance. As Walt cleans up his mess and eradicates threats which may undermine his operations and identity, he makes a seemingly genuine commitment to opt out of the operation and of the trade. The episode shows his gradual mending of his broken relationship and fractured self - or at least - a realization that 'being the best' at meth isn't leading to his contentment and happiness as it had previously promised. He wants his life back.

However the cliff-hanger we are left with is the point of Hank's sudden realization; or at least being put on notice - of Walt's darker identity and his connection with Gail. An absolute brilliant last 5 seconds that will propel the anxious wait until the latter part of the season. I can't wait.

Vince Gilligan's true masterpiece of directorship in taking the viewer on a calm joy ride of normality only to the shock of Hank's realization - a realization we've all known was inevitable. What a brilliant show. In terms of directorship, acting and momentum its generated, an unqualified 10/10.

I used to love to go camping.

Author: (etane) from United States
2 September 2012

But then I took a meth lab to the knee.

Gliding over all is the 8th episode of the 5th and final season of Breaking Bad.

After a very short 2 months, we are at the mid season break of our favorite show on television. No, not small town security, BREAKING BAD!

Gliding over all starts off with a very still Heisenberg, looking at, what other than, a fly! Remind anyone of another episode? No? OK, moving on.

Jesse swings by the shed to confirm with Heisenberg that Mike made it out OK, Heisenberg replies with a very straight forward "He's gone." Jesse, having the analyzing skills of a 5th grader, believes that Mike truly made it out OK, I expect that to be a major part of the story next year.

After that, Heisenberg consults with Todd's uncle, and then, we get a very dark two minute stretch of men being shanked, tossed, burned, and beaten to death in prison. One may think after this, "wow, this show can't get much darker than that" One, would in fact, be wrong. The scene then skips to Heisenberg holding his year old daughter or so, while watching a news special about all the men that were just murdered in prison, so father like.

Now, to the important parts, we get to the best conversation in the show, Hank comes home from a very stressful day at work finding out that all 9 men have been murdered, aka, the only 9 men that knew anything about Gustavo's operation, after Hank talks to Heisenberg about his old job, and how this job is hurting him physically/emotionally, Heisenberg then calmly replies, "I used to love to go camping" Referencing the old days when him and Jesse used to cook out in the boonies in a beat up RV.

To avoid sounding like an echo, I'll assume you know the rest of the show and skip to the good part, Walt is, and I quote, "Done", that's right folks, you heard it from Walter himself, but then again, they don't show any proof of him dissolving the business so, it's pure speculation.

Now, if you're still reading this, here is my review of the episode! This episode does a great job of relieving some stress off of the show itself, IE: getting rid of mike's prison connections, paying off Jesse, and FINALLY, Walter and Skyler are talking again, I know, I finally called him Walter, he FINALLY is kind of likable again. But to every happy moment, there is a 5'7 Dea agent to stick his bald head in the wrong place, and that just happens to be Hank. Although this wasn't a surprising ending, it is a HUGE cliff hanger, so while we are all waiting another 8 months to see the final episodes of Breaking Bad, we can try and guess what is going to happen, but until then, I rate this episode, a ten, out of ten.

Breaking Bad at its prime.

Author: avada789 from United States
3 September 2012

Like it hasn't always been perfect.

Ever since the first scene of this season, it has been the best one of Breaking Bad yet. I don't think there has been a season that has been so consistent than this 5th one. Every episode is phenomenal and this last one of the half season is no different. Not only do I think that it's phenomenal, but it's one of the best episodes ever crafted in TV history. In terms of Breaking Bad I don't think there are more than 2 episodes that could compete with this one; 'Face Off' and 'Crawl Space'

Everything about this episode has been out of hand; the directing, cinematography, acting, story development, and last but most definitely not least the conclusion. This episode is the epitome of all things Breaking Bad. There are montages (2 of them), many deaths, 'cooking', stacks of money, Skyler not being a complete bitch, crazy drug deals, great music, and purple. The montage killing the nine guys in jail was a key, perfect moment. Not many scenes are directed that perfectly. And finally after a whole season of 100% unhappiness and tragedy with Heisenberg, we see Walter White back rekindling with his renewed family and finally out of the business. Only for the most shocking conclusion to any season; episode; show ever is history.

Never on TV has there been such a great ending with someone taking a s**t. Hank is taking a dump in Walt's house only to find a book given to Walt by non other than Gale Boeticher (or however you spell it). Hank, looking through the book, catches a very touching dedication to Walt by Gale; he makes the final connection he has forever needed. Hank knows about Walt and the episode ends there, with Hank taking a crap. Now, we have a vague idea about what the M60 machine gun at the beginning of the season was about. Honestly, after it ended I was trembling. It was ridiculously impacting.

Let's see if Walt could continue 'Gliding Over All'

Summer 2013 needs to come soon...

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
3 September 2012

Too many familiar images were recalled during Breaking Bad's part one finale to go unnoticed— a fly, a CAT scan, the dented paper towel dispenser, the famous RV, and, of course, Leaves of Grass (the image that returns to offer us the episode's payoff)—all images that seem to suggest that the past is the simplest, yet perhaps most dangerous, locale to inhabit.

And that much worked for me this episode—those winks to my not-so-inner Breaking Bad fangirl kept me intrigued until those last moments that almost set my anxiety levels over the edge. What nearly didn't, however, was how tidy it felt, how neatly (and easily) Walt's loose ends seemed tied up and how suddenly (despite the progression of time within the show's universe) our characters' motivations seemed to have shifted. It almost felt a digression; unnatural and frustrating.

But maybe that was the point.

When the episode first opens, we see Walt staring, lost in thought, at a fly, a symbol we've come to associate (thanks to Mr. Rian Johnson) with contamination and obsession. He's managed to successfully eliminate Mike, as well as the possibility of anyone else discovering his secret, and he's found an efficient, if uninspiring, new assistant in Todd, and yet, things still don't seem quite right. For one reason or another, Walt isn't feeling in that moment as he believes he should be, isn't thoroughly appreciating his spoils. Perhaps, in part, it's because even he hasn't quite figured out what pulling the trigger that ended Mike's life was meant to achieve, despite his telling Todd "it had to be done;" perhaps it's because he knows he can no longer rely on Jesse.

And that's only because his pride initially won't allow it. Not surprisingly, Jesse arrives moments before Mike is to meet his official end in a familiar barrel of hydrofluoric acid to speak with Walt privately. Wishing to know the status of Mike's getaway, Walt assures him "he's gone" and reels, almost childishly, when Jesse questions their next move. "There is no 'we,' Jesse," Walt tells him, "I'm the only vote left." Realizing that he is truly no longer under Walt's wing, Jesse leaves somewhat defeated, leaving Walt with no other options but to continue on.

When he later meets with Lydia in a coffee shop for the names of Mike's men, his vial of ricin in tow, Walt's plans to get rid of her as well are thwarted when she offers him not only the names he needs, but a proposition to expand his business internationally. Apparently, the Czech Republic has a rather large population of meth users that haven't even come close to trying something as pure as Walt's creation, and selling his product overseas would more than double his profit. It's a plan that, apparently, Gus Fring was in the final stages of organizing before "someone killed him," and upon learning that bit of information, Walt finds it difficult to refuse.

But knowing that Lydia is, for the time being, a minor threat doesn't leave him entirely in the clear. Armed with the list of names and the aid of Todd's white supremacist, "prison connections" uncle, Walt specifies his wish that all ten of Mike's guys, spread out over three prisons, be eliminated in only two minutes, a seemingly daunting task, but one that Walt's guys manage to pull off anyway. An impressive montage (almost reminiscent of a Scorsese-esque gangster flick) later, and it appears that Walt no longer has anything to fear—his obstacles are eliminated.

To read the rest of the review (IMDb form too short) visit: http://custodianfilmcritic.com/breaking-bad-5-8-gliding-over-all/

The jaw-dropping cliffhanger isn't the only great thing about this episode

Author: axel-koch from Austria
25 January 2014

The first part of Breaking Bad's final season ends on a phenomenal note – a twist audiences have feared since the character of Walter White was introduced in 2008, but have stashed away in the subconscious after more than 50 episodes of the series. "Gliding Over All" sets up so many possibilities and a whole new direction for the final eight episodes of the series and makes predicting the end of this amazing story an impossible endeavour.

To rephrase one of Walt's lines in this episode, last things first: the ultimate scene in "Gliding Over All", that simple yet momentous and jaw- dropping epiphany for one of the characters, wouldn't be as great as it turns out to be if it weren't for the perfect lead-up to it. The intensity is lacking for most parts of this episode, but that turns out to be the perfect calm before the storm – a storm that one could also describe as the best season-ending cliffhanger of the series. However, my 10 rating isn't the result of merely one remarkable scene, since there are loads of other things to praise in this episode. Firstly, there are Breaking Bad's best two minutes of non-stop violence in the most beautifully (not inappropriate to say, right?) shot murder montage. If such bloodshed isn't your cup of tea, there's still the drug cooking and contributing, getting stretched out to a three-minute chain of the whole process, set to contrasting music, looking purely amazing, and impressing with more match cuts you could ever expect to find in any other episode of any TV series.

Fans of subtlety will find a lot to admire about "Gliding Over All" too, with hints to episodes quite a while ago and the little disguised murder contemplations (Walt's ricin, Jesse's gun) being present in these 50 minutes, which may not be the series' most intense or thoroughly entertaining, but are artistically made and opening an outstanding new story for the series, making it the best episode of this half of the fifth season.

Gliding Over All (#5.8)

Author: ComedyFan2010 from Canada
6 January 2014

In this episode we see Walt clearing up the evidence. As in getting all the men on Mike's list being killed. We see a whole segment of it happening. In a very disturbing and brutal manner which kind of represents Walt's recent behavior.

But then we go towards the end when he is getting out of the business to have his family back.

At first there is a wonderful part of him having a conversation with Jesse, really made me miss them in the past. And I am worried that this is the last one we had.

And the cliffhanger is very dramatic. So now Hank gets a clue that he is Heisenberg. Really wish it didn't happen and yet love how it did.

Big Moments Happen!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
19 February 2015

This is the eighth episode and mid-season finale of the last season of Breaking Bad. The episode is highlighted by such a bombshell cliffhanger as Hank finally learns the true identity of Heisenberg. I am actually surprised how the revelation came only halfway through the season, but more time for the aftermath it seems. Once again, this episode features a great screenplay and excellent acting from the cast.

In this episode, "Gliding Over All," Walt meets with Lydia as Walt proposes a plan to kill all the men in prison involved with Gus's operation. Walt also expands his business overseas, where he is pulling more money than Skylar can launder. Meanwhile, the kids eventually come home to live with their parents again and Hank discovers a nasty surprise in the bathroom of the White's residence.

Overall, another excellent episode of this fantastic series. Of course, the ending is the main story. But I also loved the use of music and how the episode is more violent than usual. The final eight episodes promises to be on top of its game because of Hank's big reveal.

My Grade: A+

Business booms before Walt gets out

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
30 June 2015

As the final season reaches its midway point things business is booming for Walt. He meets with Lydia to get the names of Mike's men who are currently in gaol and liable to talk now Mike is no more; she realises that Walt might think she is another loose end to be tied up so proposes a business expansion that will keep her useful; she will use Madrigal's legitimate logistics network to ship Walt's meth to the Czech Republic where demand is high and just as importantly the DEA aren't investigating. It isn't long before Mike's men are all dead and the money is rolling in; so much so that Skyler has no idea how much they have; she just states that it is more than they could spend in ten life times. Perhaps he finally has enough to get 'out' at least he tells Skyler that he is out. Then just as it looks as if Walt and his family are going to get a happy ending Hank picks up a book to browse through while in the lavatory and reads its 'to W.W.' dedication written inside leading to an epiphany about exactly who he has been hunting!

This was a fine episode to precede the mid-season break… although I'm glad that I don't have to wait as long to find out what happens next as people watching the original broadcast did. There is a succession of brilliant scenes; Walt's meeting with Lydia where it is clear he would have eliminated her if she hadn't proved her use; the 'prison murder' montage where Mike's men are brutally murdered in the space of two minutes; Skyler talking to Walt about the money; reminiscing with Jesse about their old RV-lab, and finally the final scenes where Walt and family chat normally around the pool before Hank's discovery. These scenes are each very different but also very effective, picking out just two; the prison murders are both brutal and matter of fact made more shocking by the casual way Walt ignores the news as he plays with his young daughter and the final poolside scene where Skyler and Marie and Walt and Hank have overlapping conversations in the way real people do but TV people seldom do. Hank's realisation that Walt is W.W. sets things up perfectly for the final half season; I can't wait to see what happens next.