IMDb > "Breaking Bad" Dead Freight (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Breaking Bad: Dead Freight (#5.5)"

"Breaking Bad" Dead Freight (2012)

« Prev | 51 of 62 Episodes | Next »

Wow!!!

Author: michael grant from Canada
12 August 2012

I felt compelled to write a short and sweet comment on what i just witnessed. This episode was simply amazing, so amazing... This show keeps getting better and better each passing week!!! This episode was was easily a 12 out of 10. I have never been so nervous, nail biting, and sweaty during an episode. Im gonna miss this series, I started watching this year, and the only reason i started watching this series is because of the trusted reviews i read on this website, and I'm so glad i did. As for this episode I just watched I don't feel like writing a spoiler, on what just happened. I just wanted to say simply AMAZING!!

Amazing

Author: oayche from Cairo
29 November 2012

This episode is one of the best 1-hours EVER on TV. I didn't think the series could exceed its many previous high points, but this episode is just amazing. My wife and I were sat dumbstruck all the way through. The tension, the pay-off, then that ending, simply amazing.

The plot, the acting, the visuals, the music, all 10/10. I'm just amazed how everything single bit is of the highest calibre. Say what you want, but I doubt those involved in this show will reach these heights again. Enjoy it while it lasts.

When this show finally ends, I'm going to watch the whole thing again right from the start, I've never done that before with a TV drama.

This episode deserves an Oscar.

Author: JigorG from Israel
13 August 2012

Not an Emmy or a Golden Globe, but an Academy Award!

The whole scene with the train heist was done brilliantly and very intense. But that last scene is what got me in the gut. At first, I thought maybe they're planing to make the train crash into the truck to make it stop and the kid from the cold open would've got hit from the debris, and then I thought "Nah... they're not going to kill a kid. He'll probably end up finding some evidence and call the cops as a set up for the next episode", but then, like a bullet to the heart, came the last scene. The emotional landslide that I went through with the joy I felt when the robbery was a success to the shock after Todd shot the kid is still taking it's toll on me. I get shivers every time I think of it. 10/10 easy.

Best episode of the season thus far!

Author: m_lasker from United States
12 August 2012

I knew from as soon as we were subtly introduced to Todd that he would be trouble. Boy was I right, and I am absolutely amazed at what proved he's a problem. As for the train heist, it bugged me that Walt cares more about the amount of methyl-amine than he does Jesse's and Todd's life, but I guess that's what the writers are trying to get across to us. Loved how when Skylar asked Walt why he had exposed arms, he honestly responded with arrogance "Robbing a train" (Like it's simply NOTHING to him). When Todd shoots the boy at the end, I literally screamed and looked over at my brother to see that his jaw was on the floor. Cudos to you Vince Gilligan and your team of writers. This show has definitely set itself up for an outstanding ending. Absolute brilliant episode, cannot wait for next week to see what happens to Todd! If I could give above a 10, I most certainly would.

Walt's Great Train Robbery

Author: tbmforclasstsar from United States
13 August 2012

It's almost overwhelming to think about just how unbelievable this show is. Week after week, I ask myself how on earth Gilligan and Co. plan to top themselves, and week after week (seemingly effortlessly) they do just that. Even at this show's "worst" (if we can even call it that) it's incredible, and to put into words how this show makes you think and feel and what that means is almost difficult (I myself have resorted to wild hand gestures and a string of "gahs" when trying to describe it to people).

"Dead Freight" is a perfect example of that. How many of you were speechless after last night's episode? Anyone else pick their jaw up off the floor? Because I know I was, and I know I did. In fact, I'm pretty sure I breathed a sigh of relief, laughed, gasped, panicked (yet again), and yelled "NO!" at my TV all in less than a minute. And now here I am, trying to write this review, asking myself what in God's name I'm supposed to say other than my go-to "GAH!" (I suppose I could just borrow from our very own Mr. Martens who, at approximately 10:07 last night, sent me a text that simply, yet eloquently, read, "FFFFUUUUCCCKKKK!!!!" Really, that's probably the best method of summing it all up, anyway.)

I feel like this episode, and specifically its monumental Great Train Robbery heist, is bound to be one of those that instantly comes to mind when we later become nostalgic about Breaking Bad, and not just for its shock value (although, goodness knows there's a healthy dose of that), but for its status as "game-changer." In what's probably one of the most wonderfully agonizing sequences this show has ever seen, our favorite misfits carry out a plan to (illegally, of course) obtain the methylamine much needed for their business. Devised, surprisingly, by Jesse and inspired by crazy Lydia, the plan leaves the men draining a train tank of some of its methylamine and replacing it with a similar amount of water ("It's all about the weight, yo."). Ultimately, the men hope to obtain the precious chemical without anyone realizing a robbery even occurred (the watered-down batch of methylamine they're to leave behind is to be blamed on China); and unbelievably they succeed. With Mike as lookout and Saul's henchman, Kuby (Bill Burr), as a rather amusing diversion, Walt, Jesse, and the newly adopted Todd (Jesse Plemons), who first looks out for the team by warning of a nanny-cam in "Hazard Pay," climb aboard the train and extract the chemical just as rehearsed. And although a good Samaritan nearly exposes the entire operation when he offers to give Kuby's "dead truck" a pull off the train tracks, and Walt's refusal to settle for anything other than complete victory threatens to give us some serious heart attacks, the plan finally goes off without a hitch.

Or so they think. Unfortunately, Jesse's perfectly timed "Yeah, bitch!" is short-lived as they notice the little boy on the dirt bike introduced to us in this episode's opening sequence has witnessed the entire thing. After waving a sad hello (or perhaps it was, more appropriately, a wave goodbye), Todd aims a gun at the child, and despite Jesse's wails of protest, shoots him without hesitation. In a heart-pounding, gut-wrenching moment, it's clear that Todd has taken the warnings that absolutely no one was to know about the robbery to heart, and, in a surprisingly despicable manner, has proved his loyalty to Walt.

But what does that mean for Jesse? Apart from Walt's, it's his character's evolution that has surprised me the most on this show, especially this season. We first came to know Jesse as a punk, just another drug-dealing knucklehead whose main purpose, with his "yos" and tacked- on "bitches," was to provide comedic relief. But he's grown to be so much more than that (which is interesting considering Gilligan had reported his plan to kill Jesse off at the end of season one)—he's now important, and reliable, and an intelligent planner, even (first magnets, now this). And what's more, he actually cares; he's emotional. And despite the fact that he's committed his fair share of crimes, and has, just as the others, murdered, he still remains very much in touch with his moral center, and I find that to be quite the fascinating aspect of his character; it even makes him sympathetic! (And really, how many murdering drug-dealers can you say that about?)

We know that the death of an innocent child hits close to home for Jesse—there's no forgetting his confrontation with Walt last season any time soon—so the revelation that his team has sunk to the level of cruelly carrying out unprovoked murder is bound to send him in a different direction, both mentally and emotionally (his reaction next episode is one I'm already looking forward to as Aaron Paul, especially as of late, has proved himself to be quite the actor). We've already witnessed this season that Jesse finds himself caught between Mike and Walt (there's a nice little shot this episode that lends to the visual depiction of just that, too) so will he finally find himself forced to make a life-changing decision? And if he decides to walk out, who's to replace him? Todd? Who's to keep the team in check with votes?

To read the rest of the review/recap (IMDb form too short) visit: http://custodianfilmcritic.com/breaking-bad-5-5-dead-freight/

Incredible episode. And that ending...

Author: nbrimmerbeller
13 August 2012

This episode really blew my mind. My heart was actually pumping in my ears for the entire last 20-25 minutes. It was exhilarating and exciting, and I couldn't take my eyes off of the screen. This episode is the best of Season 5 so far. I loved seeing Jesse come up with more great plans, he is really coming in to his own. Now for the ending...

SPOILERS: I am very conflicted with that ending. Throughout the episode, I was worried Todd would be killed/left behind/screwed over in some way by Walt because it seemed like something Walt could do to show he is really becoming evil. I thought maybe he would sacrifice Todd somehow to complete the methlamine transfer, or kill him for less witnesses or something. Vince Gilligan had warned this episode was shocking and/or mind-blowing for something that happens in it, and I was sure it would be Walt who shocked us. But no, it was Todd, shooting an innocent child who happened to be in the wrong place at the absolute worst time. I have re- watched that ending and thought it over and I am so excited to see how Jesse, Walt, Mike, and even Todd react to what he has done. Of course there was that scene where Walt looks menacingly down at Todd and makes sure he knows NO ONE can ever know about this, which is the only reason this child murder is not entirely unjust to me, at least from Todd's point of view.

Of course I think killing the boy is absolutely horrible and I hate Todd, but I'm looking at it from his point of view. There are some reasons I think it was a good idea for Todd to do this deplorable act: Mike made it very clear that Walt and Jesse were to be obeyed wholeheartedly and entirely by the Vamanos Pest crew, Todd included. So their orders, like 'make sure nobody ever knows about this', were just being followed. Then there's the fact that Todd may have been scared of the consequences should he be linked to a meth-manufacturing team and a train robbery, and he killed the kid so quickly in an act of self-defense and fear of the alternative. The cons, however, are many: there's the fact that he is now a murderer, of course, then the fact that the whole idea of the siphon/exchange system of the robbery was to ensure that no one was killed, (even though he may not have known that). Then there's the fact that Todd may have been too sure of himself and independent. There was already mention this season of Gus's murder of Victor, via box cutter to the neck. Walt had commented to Jesse that he had begun to understand further why he had done it, something along the lines of Victor taking too much authority and independence, where Gus was really the boss and Victor was stepping out of his role essentially. He was almost challenging Gus's power. Something similar happened here. Todd didn't await orders or ask for his bosses' permission. He just drew his weapon and shot a child to death. In fact Jesse even screamed "NO!" before he fired, so Todd theoretically could have stopped before he shot, but he continued anyway.

Jesse will undoubtedly be livid because a person, even worse a child, has been murdered because of them, and because, I'm sure, he feels Todd had no right to make that decision. Walt I'm less sure of, because he may even like how dedicated Todd was to following orders. On the other hand, as mentioned, Todd definitely stepped out of his role and acted on his own, almost challenging Walt's authority in an interesting parallel with Victor from the first episode of season 4. I don't think Todd will be around much longer, and from the look of the quick "next on Breaking Bad" set of clips at the end of the episode I think Mike will be angry as well, and something bad will happen to Todd, any way I look at it.

Anyway, very excited for next week. Best episode of season 5 yet. I'm off to buy it now, and get all exhilarated all over again.

The eponymous freight isn't the only thing ending up dead in this splendid Breaking Bad episode

Author: axel-koch from Austria
22 January 2014

Season five's opener "Live Free or Die" was a very small-scale hint of what was about to happen in this episode, as the unlikely trio consisting of Walt, Jesse, and Mike can now tick off 'robbing a train' from their criminal to-do list. The decisive factor for this absolutely bad-ass endeavour was methylamine, precursor for the group's product, and scallywag playing hard-to-get since the series' very first season. Yet everything's a bit bigger than it was when the high school chemistry teacher and the junkie snaffled a drum each of it from a warehouse – this time around, a thousand gallons change hands and the actual recipients mustn't ever know.

With the most beautiful Western vibe and a little help by a distracting Patrick Kuby and a slightly too enthusiastic Todd, "Dead Freight" stages this immense exploit the best way possible, but not before warming audiences up with the three interrogating Lydia in a wonderfully shot and hilariously scripted scene, Marie and Hank being even greater than usual while housing Holly and 'Emo McGee' (I like that more than Walt Jr or Flynn or whatever), and an ambiguous pre-credits sequence that isn't going to be fun to watch for arachnophobes. However, what is going to be much less fun to watch for everyone in general is the final shot of this episode, a jaw-dropping turn of events that reminds you again that Breaking Bad isn't about entertaining peril in the style of the train robbery, but the criminal life and what uncomfortable things accompany it. Writer and first-time director George Mastras struck home with this unsettling twist that very interestingly showcases the differences between the characters in the succeeding episode.

The great thing about "Dead Freight" is that there's more than just this one thing you're going to remember about it, as the whole episode includes outstanding bits of writing, acting, and filming (I very much approve of the train-cam).

Breaking Bad continues to astound us with one of the darkest moments in the show's history

Author: kkoller0693 from United States
13 August 2012

Look how far this show has come. Five episodes into the shortened fifth season and we are still astounded. The beginning set the tone: a little boy on his motorbike enjoying his hobby of picking up spiders . . . then we hear the train whistle blow in the background . . . and then the opening credits role. This is what Breaking Bad does so well. Every once and a while, for the opening scene, they will show a scene that happens towards the end of the episode and we have to figure out how it gets to that point or what happens after that scene.

That scene probably wasn't really paid close attention to most of the viewers - and I guarantee you that most of us went "Holy Sh*t" when we saw that little boy watch Walt, Jesse and Todd steal the methyl-mine from the train. And then, just when we thought something bad was going to happen, it did. Todd pulls out his gun and shoots the boy dead as Jesse screams out "No!" in the background. Walt, the man we once knew was full of good and love, stood there and watched - didn't even flinch.

Murder has always been taken very seriously for a show that has a large body count as of right now. Deaths are never funny or dumb to watch. Each death is taken with the utmost respect - each character's death hits the viewers. The death of Jane in season 2 as Walt watches on as she chokes on her own vomit, Hank taking down the Tuco's cousins in the grocery store parking lot in season 3, and even Gus Fring's death in the season 4 finale - every death was full of suspense and seriousness. This is what Vince Gilligan and his writers do so well - they make death/murder hard to watch. They through no punches that aren't necessary.

The boy's death will lead to the fifth season's end (even with 3 more episodes so watch). Jesse was hit hard when Todd shot the kid - he'll question if he should remain in the meth business with his old chemistry teacher. Mike will not be happy with Todd - shooting a kid who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. The only person who will want to continue with the business will be Walt who, quite frankly, does give a damn. He will want to continue to cook as his lust for power turns him fully into Heisenberg - the drug lord Hank has been looking for since season 1.

Now with the ending aside, this episode was still masterful. The scene in Hank's office where Walt breaks down in front of his brother-in-law DEA agent was tremendous. Again, Bryan Cranston shows how easily he can shed tears and then become serious and bug Hank's office with a microphone and a tracker on his computer. It was great to see how Walt smoothly transitioned from heart broken family member to law breaking Heisenberg in a matter of seconds.

And it turned out Lydia didn't plant the tracker on the bottom of the meth barrels. Now, I wasn't too fond about this new character when I first saw her, but perhaps this show needs a Lydia after all. While she can be mentally unstable under the threat of DEA watching her moves but it's still pretty cool to watch as she helps out Mike, Walt and Jesse with the train situation.

The train heist was another great scene. We've seen another heist happen in the first episode of this season but the train scene was absolutely spectacular to watch. You had Todd and Jesse stealing the methyl-mine as guest actor Bill Burr plays around on the tracks with the engineers driving the train. And even though Jesse was nearly run over by the train and we had to watch Todd kill the only witness, it was still a great scene.

Breaking Bad continues to amaze with each passing episode. I am thoroughly enjoying this season. Though I am upset only three episodes remain and then the final eight air next year, but I know this show will continue to amaze until the final credits role next year. "Dread Freight" is a masterpiece and shows us that even five seasons in, Breaking Bad can still leave the audiences in shock and make us want more. Bravo.

SPOILER - Speechless

Author: the_judge from Austria
15 August 2012

This was an amazing episode. One point that was that I began to really like the characters of Walter White and Jessie. Even when one understands the tremendous hardship that they caused in the lives of people who use their products, and the fall out to the children whose parents take the substances, you did not see this direct effect on the users' lives and their families.

I really speculate was this the first child that the hurt due to the business that they (White and Co.) took part in? This was I guess a Sopranos moment when you really see that these guys are killers, and that they are basically evil. As I cheered Walter White and Jessie in passed episodes was I in reality cheering for a "destroyer of worlds" to beat the cops? Do I feel somewhat more sympathetic to the DEA agents that are hunting them down? Reflecting on the events I wonder about and am amazed concerning the idea that shows like this and the Sopranos and Dexter and (possibly) Weeds are complex in nature and show that there is talent in Hollywood that will live on for generations.

Bravo to AMC for having the guts to put a show like this one the air. Thank god the world I grew up in with (as a child) of ABC, CBS and NBC as the only alternative is OVER.

Awesaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam

Author: noman-haris
14 August 2012

That was unbelievably genius. I thought Gus's death was the pinnacle of this show that cannot be topped. It is no more so, Vince Gilligan and crew have pulled the perfect heist on that. The best thing about yesterday's episode was that it put the viewer on a perfect crossroad. On the one hand you are happy that the gang is successful in pulling the job off, but in order to make the job fool proof , one of them commits what was an act 'way beyond usual crime'. That makes you punch the air in shock and disgust. I really don't know how VG can pull something off better than this one, knowing him through all those seasons, he can. Don't be somewhere else when he does.