IMDb > "Super Fun Night" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Super Fun Night"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Super Fun Night" More at IMDbPro »

LOVE LOVE LOVE this show

Author: sugardollmary from United States
27 November 2013

Friends turned me on to this show via on-demand TV and we watched four episodes. It is a real find. Rebel has it all over Molly McCarthy in MIKE AND MOLLY (except Molly was superb in HEAT). Her character and her roommates all seem real with just the right touch of hyperbole. I love that Rebel's character is highly-accomplished yet neurotic. And she is just up front with body issues that one can relate to no matter one's weight. The three geek neighbors are a little overdone, but still funny. Well, there is nothing about this show I don't like. It is NOT the predictable sitcom fare. This is up there in quality with BIG BANG THEORY, GROUNDED FOR LIFE, FRANK'S PLACE, to name just a few. I hope it stays on the air.

Love this woman

Author: clee8282
16 November 2013

I think Rebel Wilson is adorable and hilarious. Heavy women know exactly what it's like taking their clothes off in front of a man for the first time and so does Rebel. She is putting all of our secrets out there and I think she is going to help with the stigma of being an overweight woman. At first I didn't care too much for the show, but it has evolved and now I DVR it every week, just in case I can't be home when it comes on. She also gets into all the other things that women like us face, like binge eating because we are in pain. Self-medicating ourselves with food is an addiction that is nearly impossible to break and Rebel brings this all to light. I think if this show stays on long enough, it will gather a huge audience of women who will identify with Kimmie. I also believe it will help people to see that being overweight is not just a sign of gluttony and indolence. I am giving this show a 9 instead of a 10, because I believe if it stays on the air, it will continue to grow.

Not so bad!

Author: matous-uhlir from Czech Rep
9 November 2013

I was surprised: this show is not stupid and boring, it is only light, nice, and nobody gets killed. I obtained it for my girlfriend and found myself very amused. Main character is very good and immediately gets your sympathy. It is a little bit like Bridget Jones Diary, but not so pathetic and stupid. I was afraid it will be this kind of "well you men can never understand great issues", but this is just fun. Do not expect something to change your world forever or to thrill the gut out of you, this is TV recreation at its best I dare say. It is not OK to make fun of someone stage fear, as well as peanuts, it can get you killed. But that is sometimes the best thing about humor, it allows us to laugh in the face of death. And tree nuts as well.

It really is very funny.

Author: Shopaholic35 from Australia
19 April 2014

I have a feeling that some people just aren't ready for someone like Rebel Wilson to be in the lead role of a TV show (I swear if someone mentions Melissa McCarthy they are kidding themselves. Yes she is excellent but can you name another large leading actress). Whether you want to admit it or not society discriminates against plain jane characters, especially obese women.

Super Fun Night is actually really funny if you let yourself enjoy it. It has Rebel's trademark comedy style and everybody can relate in some way to the characters feelings of inadequacy. There are moments where you will cheer, cringe and relate to the characters. It is an everybody's show but unfortunately some people enjoy a show that transports them from their life instead of highlighting their own imperfections.

I -really- want to like this show, but...

Author: Heef from United States
6 February 2014

I love Liza Lapira and would love to see her in a vehicle of her own, preferably one where she plays a character different from the one she is always cast in.

I love the way Lauren Ash's character is slowly coming to grips with her homosexual tendencies. It would be nice if the show handled it in a more authentic, less cliché riddled fashion than everything else in the show. She has the potential to become more than a one dimensional foil.

Speaking of foils, how many does Rebel Wilson really need? Literally every character in the show acts as a foil, including her own (the main) character. Rebel Wilson's appeal is completely suffocated by the premises foisted upon her character by the terrible writing.

Rebel Wilson is great when she is allowed to be confident, funny, full of life, and she has a sexy as hell Australian accent. She is living proof that being skinny does not equal being strong or sexy. Every inch of what is great about her has been stripped away because apparently the writing staff never got past middle school, you know back when people could just point and say "You're fat ha-ha" and all the other imbeciles would laugh as well.

To summarize: this great potential cast is being squandered in all the wrong ways. Are there even any writers, or is a room full of half-wit execs just throwing darts at a cork-board of bad plots while blindfolded?

Best New Comedy of 2013-2014

Author: ScottG_Anderson from Vancouver, Canada
15 January 2014

We've all seen great new shows come and go, be they comedy or drama or whatever, and lamented the passing of a good new show that didn't seem to catch on with a wider audience... soon acquiring the 'cancel' stamp from The Network Execs. I've seen enough of these to suspect Super Fun Night is one of these "bubble" shows. Pity, really.

Super Fun Night is a well-written comedy. The characters are entertaining and endearing. The actors are perfectly cast, and know their comedic craft. The premise is simple and familiar, but offers a new take on standard sit-com themes. Rebel Wilson is a force of comedy, with excellent timing, expression, and presence -- with a ensemble cast equal to the challenge.

I'm not going to pretend this is yet a show for the ages -- it isn't Seinfeld or Arrested Development... but it is my favourite for best new comedy of the 2013-2014 season.

Feels like a spin-off to The Mindy Project

Author: Jimmy Fran from Germany
1 November 2013

Well, it's fun to watch but why do I always feel reminded of "The Mindy Project". "Super Fun Night" is fun to watch but again we have a female kinda outsider (here it's the obese single office girl, there it's the naive Indian physician) protagonist. Again she is talking to her diary every day. Again we have the sidekick with the British accent. Again we have her "weird" friends and again Kimmie, just like Mindy pursuing her dream of having a boyfriend.

Speaking of which, imho "The Mindy Project" is the better show. Better and faster dialouges and the friends working with Mindy are just more fun and Mindy is the more talented actress.

It's one of the few shows I look forward to...

Author: Kindred99 from United States
31 October 2013

This woman is very funny, and that's what I look for in a comedy. I love watching her perform. Her cohorts are great. I'd keep it more focused on the three for awhile. Bring on the fun with a bit less about the office 'others' for awhile. The Murna stint was very funny to me, and any Xena fan would get the humor and know that Lucy Lawless is not like the character played by Brooke, who was hysterical to me. The title of the show is not memorable... and get it on earlier!!! Or play it again later in the week, if possible. I hope it makes it! I don't think it's had time to be discovered by viewers. I look forward to hopefully seeing this for the next five years. I have to admit I never heard of the lead before but I know what is funny when I see it. She is certainly a great comedienne.

Like Friday night every night

Author: Tris Marie from United States
3 October 2015

I Loved this show so much! This show really gave me a love and appreciation for Rebel Wilson as an actress. Now I want to watch everything she's in. But this show is hilarious. Pure joy to watch! I plan to watch it over again since there are no more seasons now. I thinks it's too bad they canceled the show I can't for the life of me figure out why!? This is up there with one of my favorite shows of all time. If you are feeling down and need a pick me up, watch this show and try not to smile or laugh. It is that good. Times when I was really sad this show would force me to burst out laughing. It's would be my hope that someday soon they will bring this show back, or give Rebel Wilson another show because every moment is just such joy to watch her! Highly recommend if you haven't seen it yet. I was hooked by the first episode and it just got better from there.

Rebel Wilson holding back for network TV

Author: SnoopyStyle
9 May 2014

Kimmie Boubier (Rebel Wilson) is a meek lawyer with 2 best friends and roommates Helen-Alice (Liza Lapira) and Marika (Lauren Ash). She's infatuated with pretty boy fellow lawyer Richard Royce (Kevin Bishop). Mean girl Kendall Quinn (Kate Jenkinson) has eye on Richard and becomes quick enemy to Kimmie.

I love love LOVE Rebel Wilson and wanted so badly for this show to succeed. Her sense of humor has always been for a specific taste. It's weird, outlandish, and completely inappropriate. Basically she is not suppose to be on network TV and it shows. She is holding back and the show never found a big enough audience. It's canceled after its 17 episode run but it was dead long before the end.