IMDb > "Psych" Santabarbaratown 2 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Psych" Santabarbaratown 2 (2013)

« Prev | 96 of 121 Episodes | Next »

Interesting, new, but could've been better!

Author: samsoknite
3 March 2013

I felt that the premiere was rushed and far too serious. I mean I never minded the drama in Psych even though it has been a tad bit too much in Season 5 (though 6 was great!). There really wasn't any dialogue worth noting about and there was no investigating; it turned out to be an action flick rushed through to the very end with only a few moments where I actually found something funny.

It was poorly executed in the beginning, Shawn's "adrenaline mode" with seeing things at x10 speeds and acting like an action hero also wasn't very pleasing about this episode and I honestly hope it doesn't happen again. We all know he's a quick shot and we know he's hyper observant but what happened to him being "woefully out of shape" as referenced in many episodes? When did he get good at fighting? He's always had a hard time with hand-to-hand combat and managed to ninja kick the bad guy. I really didn't even catch half of their names just because they had 40 seconds of footage and the rest was all about Spencer and not about Gus or any of the other colorful characters that make the show so delightful. There wasn't enough Shawn and Gus shenanigans, and everything just felt way too scripted but what I liked about the show was that they solved crime in a realistic fashion, allowed you to get your own idea of what was going on, but then in threw you off and left you with a smile and a lot of good laughs.

It didn't make my expectations but despite me picking away at all the annoyances in this episode, it wasn't bad, and I know I'll stick around to see when it gets good again but it just seems that the characters are way too scripted and predictable.

Too those about the new observation effects, I believe that was specifically for this episode because he was rushed full of adrenaline which explained his erratic and aggressive behavior; which by-the-way I enjoyed the constant breaking of glass.

The biggest annoyance in my opinion wasn't the fact that everything seemed too planned out and predictable but also that they were out-of- character and they broke so many police violations and it all ended up good. I cannot stress enough that they're turning into the kind of show that repeats characteristics far too much which we saw with Gus. Even though they all have personalities they still are unique and sometimes speak differently in certain situations and in this episode Gus was far too stereotype Gus being gullible and childish and Shawn made terribly bland references and jokes. I know Lassie generally doesn't like Shawn but they always seem to have an episode where they work together but this one played out way too quickly and it wasn't about the characters, adventure, and humor as it was about getting the bad guy and closing up the episode with a father-son relationship between Shawn and Henry.

So for that I give it 6/10 stars and am looking forward to the Psych mood with Episode 2.

The magic was missing.

Author: Joshua Glowzinski from United States
2 March 2013

Psych has been one of my favorite shows from the first few episodes. I really like the characters, stories and pop culture stuff. That being said, I hated the first episode of the new season. Firstly, all the characters seemed so far apart. They seem to have lost their connection. It was like they all showed up, did their lines and left. Then, they have this new thing they do when Spencer "sees" something. They make the thing he sees bigger. I did not like that. Fans of the show know that he sees things. Why dumb it down? Then, what is with all the stuff Spencer was doing? Did they forget that he is just a regular guy who has high observation? They made him seem like a damn marine. Maybe it is because of the fact that it has been so long since I saw the last episode of the show. Maybe it is because that after waiting so long, they ended it so simply. I thought it may be because I read the show probably has two seasons left, and it made me think to much. I'm not sure, but I hope the rest of the episodes go back to the way they were.

Oh, I thought also that it could be they are showing the character is growing up. I believe there is a far better way to do it though. But, I don't write for the show. So it is what it