IMDb > Doomsday Book (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
In-lyu-myeol-mang-bo-go-seo

Doomsday Book More at IMDbPro »In-lyu-myeol-mang-bo-go-seo (original title)

Apocalyptic Apogee

Author: Christian from Canada
30 July 2012

After Asian-wide "Three (2002)" where Jee-woon Kim contributed to the "Memories" segment and "Three... Extremes (2004)" where other Korean master, Chan-wook Park, messed with our minds with "Cut", Jee-woon Kim works here with Pil-sung Yim to give us an all-Korean short film anthology classic.

Pil-sung Yim, who was in attendance at the FantAsia Film Festival screening, writes and directs the first and last segments, while Jee- woon Kim who was in post-production for his first Hollywood project "The Last stand (2013)" sent us a video detailing the hardships he is facing in the big Hollywood machine and light-heartedly prefacing his short film "The Heavenly Creature" which he classifies in the genre of philosophical science-fiction.

7/10 "A Brave New World"

Pil-sung Yim starts it off with a meticulously constructed take on the zombie/vampire apocalyptic movie. It is endearing, funny and poetic. It tries not to take itself too seriously, but nether does it tries to take the audience for a fool. It actually develops charming characters and then delves into a deluge of disconcerting destruction, before leaving with an open-ended finale. Note that the alternate ending was an American nuclear bomb, but the actual ending fits much before with the rest of the film.

9/10 "The Heavenly Creature"

This far from formulaic robot story is in fact the crux of this trilogy and drips with deep dialogue and introspection while being sparkled with humour, sweetness, sexiness and tension. A full on societal and moral commentary here from the writer/director of the high calibre, haunting "A Tale of Two Sisters (2003)" with an enlightened robot who perhaps surpassed his creators in wisdom and the battle of sorts between capitalism and Buddhism. It explores finality, fear, faith, fate and the future in a thoughtful tapestry of tasteful interactions.

8/10 "Happy Birthday"

The last segment is a preposterous post-apocalyptic scenario that pacts loads of laughs, especially with the dramatization of a newscast presenting the unfolding doom of the world. It flows well and follows to an adequate conclusion of this science-fiction segment and film.

All in all, Doomsday Book breaks boundaries in the quality of the stories and in the directorial distinction in dealing with death and end of the world scenarios with humour, pose and serenity.

May this futuristic film live long and prosper.

A Sci-Fi in Three Uneven Segments

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
18 May 2016

"In-lyu-myeol-mang-bo-go-seo", a.k.a. "Doomsday Book", is a South Korean science-fiction film divided in three uneven segments:

1) "A Brave New World": the research scientist Yoon Seok-woo stays alone at home while his parents travel for a holiday with his sister. He is in charge of cleaning their apartment and he dumps all the garbage, including a rotten apple, in a disposal recycling system. This apple becomes animal food and soon the cow meet contaminates the population of Seoul that becomes zombies.

This segment is the best one with a funny story and beautiful, but nasty cinematography.

2) "The Heavenly Creature": the technician Park Do-wan is summoned to repair the robot In-Myung in a monastery since the robot claims that he is Buddhist and has reached enlightenment. Park is not capable to fix the robot and the company's president decides to decommission the robot.

This segment is boring and annoying despite the great cinematography and special effects.

3) "Happy Birthday": a girls damages an 8 ball and she buys another one in the computer of her father. Then she throws the ball through the window in order her father does not find it. A couple of years later, an asteroid will collide on Earth and her family seeks protection in an underground shelter.

This segment has also a great cinematography but the story is senseless.

My vote is four.

Title (Brazil): Not available on Blu-Ray or DVD

This is the way the world ends...

Author: allenrogerj from United Kingdom
11 October 2012

Three short entertaining and intriguing films about the end of the world or humanity. The first features a put-upon hero left to clean up the family flat while his parents and sister go on holiday who meets a beautiful girl with whom he becomes a zombie, whether from a variant of 'flu, a kind of B.S.E. or North Korean biological warfare isn't made clear and doesn'tmatter. The second is about a robot in a Buddhist monastery which appears to have 'become Buddha'- achieved nirvana- the monks want to know if this is possible or if it is a defect in the robot and the repair man sent to examine it and from there we move to a strange meditation on robots and machines and humanity and what might be the differences between them- a philosophical Blade Runner. We also catch strange glimpses of a possible future world. Paradoxically, in some ways this episode is the one least suited to cinema and the one I'd like to have seen expanded. It ends with a quiet chilling revelation that changes the way we have seen everything before.

The third part involves a little girl who throws away a pool ball and orders another on the 'net. Owing to a galactic error worthy of The Hitchhikers' Guide to the Galaxy, the ball arrives in the form of a meteor ten kilometres across and liable to wipe out humanity...Cue (as in the first episode) satire on T.V, personalities, politicians, scientists, weather forecasters etc.and a curious happy ending.

Thrice the entertainment

Author: kosmasp
20 November 2012

You get three directors (on one theme) and of course three different ways they handle that. Completely different ways that is. The first short (still about 40 mins long each of them) is more on the funny side of the spectrum, the second one is more philosophical and the last one tries to combine those two "worlds" (no pun intended). Each does so with a great finesse.

It's hard for me to decide which one I liked best, but if I had to say one, I'd say it's the middle piece. The framing especially is more than gorgeous. But they all have their charming qualities and the third one is just so out there you will either love it or dismiss it, for its craziness. Hopefully the former, but whatever the case, if you like Korean cinema you'll enjoy it no matter what. If not you might want to change the order of the shorts and watch them backwards (3, 2, 1)! I have a feeling that might work better for some

Doomsday Book review

Author: Al_The_Strange from United States
14 December 2012

This film presents three futurist-themed stories, which either directly or indirectly hint at apocalyptic overtones.

The first story (called Brave New World) is a simple zombie-pocalypse, brought on by some kind of mutant food poisoning. As this one dude turns into a zombie, he's also searching for the girl of his dreams. Plenty of gnarly violence and partying ensues.

Unarguably, the most worthwhile story will be the middle one (entitled Heavenly Creature), in which a robot at a Buddhist temple attains enlightenment, and everybody tries to figure out what to do with him (or it, depending on perspectives). While this story seems to move the slowest, it's most interesting for its philosophical implications, especially in regards to Buddhism; the story does a fine job of underscoring the key Buddhist themes of materialism, perspectives, and cycles of life. Even if you don't care for all that, the film will spark some good brain activity with the simple moral notion of whether or not it's wise to terminate a spiritual robot.

The final story (Happy Birthday) is easily the most absurd: a little girl breaks her daddy's 8-ball, and orders a new one online. The 8-ball appears two years later...as a meteor traveling at hypervelocity. The end of the world ensues.

Each story offers a little of something: a little bit of quirky humor, a little bit of heart, a little bit of style, and even a little food for thought. Even though Heavenly Creature will stand out as the strongest work of science fiction, coming close to approaching Isaac Asimov levels of greatness, Brave New World is an entertaining thing to watch, and one can't help but to appreciate how straight Happy Birthday plays out. This might be one of the best (and maybe coming close to strangest) anthology of short films I've seen since the Tokyo! anthology.

Despite some stylistic excess in Brave New World, each film is crafted with superbly stylish photography and editing. Acting and writing are impeccable all around. The films use just enough sets, props, costumes, and special effects to tell their stories, and is quite effective.

If you're a fan of Korean cinema, science fiction, or end-of-the-world stories, then I do recommend giving this film a try. As a fan of all three, I found it quite enthralling.

4.5/5 (Entertainment: Very Good | Stories: Good | Film: Very Good)

A record of human folly

Author: Lomedin
27 October 2013

If there's a common point that links all 3 of these short movies, it's how they show human stupidity and the realistic statement that that's the reason why we are coming to our own end.

The first movie present us with a zombie scenario, more credible than those created by other movies. It's a superb critic of a society drowned in consumerism, the abuse of other life forms and the worshipping of the shallow. It also presents us with the hypocrisy people live by, with somehow subtle imagery of religion and the disregard for those same values when it comes to feeling pleasure through the material and sex. The point of view is original, for which we see the event unfold mostly from the perspective of a zombie, rather than a hero trying to save him/herself. The film is filled with humour, although an underlying seriousness is palpable.

The second movie is a completely different story. It's comparable to Ghost in the Shell for its cyberpunk elements as well as deep philosophy. There's no comedy here. It's the only film with no direct doomsday scenario, although the human folly is obviously present. The future presented here is most plausible and, indeed, this is likely to happen sooner or later. This film is worth watching on its own, if you want to skip the other 2.

The last film is pure absurd comedy. I personally didn't find it amusing, particularly after watching the previous one. The nonsensical idea of this movie is not helped by the fact that the plot wasn't really thought throughly, and not much effort was put into giving any sense to anything, even to the parts that supposedly help the movie unfolds (i.e.: they randomly find silly solutions out of nowhere, comparable to the "deus ex machina" a child playing with toys would create).

Alas, I'd give individual scores as follows: First movie 5/10 Second one 7/10 Final movie 2/10

1/3 Great, 1/3 Good, 1/3 Doesn't Fit

Author: Rick from United States
29 October 2012

I'm writing this based on my first impression of the film. (I generally don't like to do this for films with subtitles, as the first time I focus (of course) on reading the dialogue where as the next few times I can truly "see" the rest of the movie.) The first story is of a man and his love as they go thru the Zombie apocalypse. I'd say it's a romance complemented by some horror and a dash of humor. Nothing great here, but a well done story. 6/10

The film's second act is about a sentient robot that faces his potential demise and the technician who is put in the middle of it all. This part of the film is excellent. It's incredibly well done all the way around. If you like sci-fi that truly makes you think, that makes you question how you define the human experience then you will like this. The story's exploration of the philosophy of existence using a Buddhist backdrop is incredibly interesting. This section alone is worth seeing the movie over and over again in my opinion. 12/10

The third narrative involves a girl accidentally ordering an alien, oversize billiard ball that ends up destroying life on earth. This section to me was pointless and unnecessary. There was nothing entertaining or redeeming about it. Standing on its own, I think it would be bad. Fitting it together with the other 2 stories just makes it appear even worse and throws off the flow of the film. 1/10

These grades average out to about a 6 but I bumped the overall grade up to a 7 based on the incredible strength of the second narrative. Check it out and if your crunched for time just skip the 3rd act.

Spirituality and Cybernetic Technologies

Author: Graeme Kilshaw (EduCube) from Canada
3 January 2014

For all those seeking more light, we have great films like this that predict potential futures. What waits on the other side of technology and the innovations of the modern world? The cosmic cube. Welcome to the future.

This film challenges us to find our higher mind and become a new family of consciousness that is at one with both Spirit and the emergent collective intelligence. In reality, we avoid an apocalyptic scenario by merging our minds and hearts into a singularity. In reality, intelligence is not alien to Spirituality. Intelligence is Spiritual. Class is consciousness… and consciousness is class.

As film makers, we must recognize that there are different histories and introductions to visual binary intelligence. 21st century philosophers are contributing ideas that are incorporated into contemporary films. And I feel that the most important idea in the 21st century is the idea of the friendship cube… the cosmic cube… the visual binary cube.

We are not just film makers… we are influential story tellers and philosophers. The stories we tell inspire new ideas and moral outlooks that will shape our world. There is a new Spiritual class of unity, light, and order emerging through the story of the Friendship Cube. And as an IMDb reviewer, I hope to inspire film makers to tell this story.

Great Film!

Author: carmelahayslett from United States
15 June 2013

I really enjoyed Doomsday Book. Three short films in a feature length format. Each story more interesting than the next. There's a zombie film at the front, a religious robot story in the middle, and the finale is about a little girl who purchases the end of the world online. I never quite saw anything like this before. All were very well shot and entertaining. My favorite was the second story about the Buddhist Robot. I would recommend Doomsday Book to anyone who likes horror and science fiction. I saw this on Netflix Instant but I'm looking to buy it on DVD. I didn't even want to watch it when my husband put it on but it sucked me in immediately!

Fun Fantasy Anthology

Author: DisturbedPixie from Santa Clara, CA
4 March 2013

This Anthology features 3 tales, 2 of which are somewhat religious and another one dabs more on an alien Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy way. All three have to do with the fall of mankind.

Story 1: 9/10 My favorite, A Brave New World, depicts a basic zombie uprising, in the plague form, but what is different is the overall direction the story goes, and the characters development... of zombies. Rarely do zombie films give the zombie POV, but we are able to get that here. A great aspect of this story is the strong acting by the leading actor, a guy who gets bullied by those around him and is very awkward, in a nerdy way. He goes on a date with this girl, and they seem to have a great connection, but then he begins to turn, and she is scared off. What happens at the end throws in a bible element to the story, which I didn't much care for, but I understood the creators message of a new world. Overall, I thought this tale was hilarious and sweet and well acted with enough zombie chaos to intrigue hardcore zombie fans.

Story 2: 6/10 The Heavenly Creature. This story is about a Robot that becomes Buddha, or at least to the monks. When the factory finds out, they seek to destroy the machine for attempting to forget it's duty to serve man and instead attaining man's greatest goal. This is deemed a threat and an insult to mankind. While I like the message of man's jealousy over a near perfect machine, I was turned off by the Robot's final message to man. It seemed idealistic to me, and hard to swallow. Overall, it was slow paced and more of a thought provoking study on people and our desires and fears. Might be a good watch for a philosophy/Buddhist student.

Story 3: 5/10 Happy Birthday, to me this was the cheesiest of all the stories, and cute, but less thought provoking. Like the first story, it had comical moments, and was quite enjoyable at times, it also felt like a family story and not on the same level as the other stories. You could actually watch this one with your 8 year old, and they might really like it. A problem with this story to me is how things aren't really explained, especially a scene in the end. I laughed off my interpretation of it, but am unsure of the message. There is a adorable aspect of it about trusting your child and having faith in them, which was very sweet, but for me, it wasn't enough to give it a very favorable review. I would have definitely liked to have seen a different story here that didn't have such an absurd scenario... I giant 8 ball heading to earth... why would aliens have giant pool tables and websites dedicated to selling individual balls to different planets? Too silly to me.