IMDb > "Dracula" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Excellent Variation of the Original

Author: Had Enough from Ireland
26 October 2013

Having read other reviews, I was half expecting that I would be disappointed. However, I am glad to say that I was far from disappointed. This really has the makings of a great series. Yes, it strays far from the original and well known story, but it keeps the premise. It is this very difference that makes it great viewing. I am surprised it has not been done sooner. Full marks to the writers and producer for showing great vision. It has a great story, excellent script, fantastic settings and brilliant acting. The naysayers, need to remember that this is entertainment, and not a historical documentary/drama. I think it will appeal to a wide selection of viewers across all age ranges. I for one, look forward to watching it unfold. I recommend it highly as an hour well spent.

Hitting all the right spots

Author: evaneberhardt from United States
10 November 2013

I was skeptical about this show as it sounded generic. "Dracula"... really? The most famous vampire ever? But half-way through the first episode I realized this show was showing some surprising depth, not to mention top notch acting, beautiful cinematography, and a solid soundtrack. All I hear from naysayers is that this isn't Dracula according to Bram Stoker. So what? Do we want that same old stuff recycled forever? Or can we just enjoy a retelling of a famous name and not get bogged down by nitpicking?

The show is compelling thus far. Let's hope it at least gets a full season. NBC is showing some signs of life with this one, hopefully they don't ax it early like is the norm these days in network television.

Surprisingly puzzling!!

Author: PedroRosarioRodriguez from Dominican Republic
25 October 2013

Well, without watching the first episode some people might think of this as the typical evil vampire plot in which Drácula is biting everyone around him like crazy. Let me tell you this: The average Drácula can't be any farther from the way he's portrayed here.

The plot is very cleverly opened for many twists in the future due to its interwoven style.The cinematography,costume,and production in general are flawless. As far as the acting goes,it does what it's intended for most of the performers. Although some actors like the one intepreting Drácula himself do a remarkable job. His acting shows some sort of darkness behind and romantic feel at the same time. The latter fits perfectly the story plot.

Some sex,romance,drama and horror are all mixed together to make you watch the entire episode and ask for more!!!

Definitely a different spin...

Author: Eglyntine Price
26 October 2013

So far my opinion about this show is that it has A LOT of potential for a great story. Dracula spins himself to the public as an American Industrialist on a mission to provide the world with clean, sustainable energy through the use of geothermal power. Something that the major oil Tycoons of England want squashed before it becomes too large for them to control. His real reason for being in England of course is not what he claims in public and that is where the story gains it's real substance.

The scenery is exquisite and fits the time period very well. The only problem I can see with this show that might cause it to not get the ratings to continue is the fact that the plot is very fast paced and rich with historical nuances that the average TV watcher might not get. If the viewers are not paying attention or do not know their real history a lot of the subtle details they have done with the writing will be missed.

For example, some of the negative reviews I have read are about Dracula switching from an English accent to an American accent when he is told by Renfield that he must act like an American now. The viewers are assuming that it is poor writing since Dracula has never been to America. It is an assumption on their part as it is very possible that he has been there. The writers have not told us about that part of the story yet. The opening scene shows he was resurrected in 1881. Then they fast forward in time to him with his personal assistance Renfield in 1896. That is a 15 year gap where he could have traveled the world for all we know. I am sure given time we will find out.

Other complaints that have been mentioned over and over is about the first scene where two men are spelunking down a cavern with flashlights in 1881. A lot of the complaints were that the writers are being sloppy or just not caring about the inaccuracy. If people knew their history this would not be a complaint but a pleasant surprise of the detail the writers put into the show.

For those that do not know, the patent for the Flashlight was not officially signed until 1896 but the first invention and form of the flashlight they use in the opening scene matches the types of flashlights that were made and used in during that time period. For the record, the original design was made in 1879. Another complaint is about the use of Dry Ice. This again is historically plausible since the method and use of Dry Ice started in 1835 but again like the flashlight, an official patent was not acquired until 1897.

That kind of detail is what caught my attention from the very beginning. The story has definitely been written with a unique spin on Bram Stoker's Dracula. The only connection I can see so far are the characters have the same names and it is set in the same time period. But it is obvious the writers are telling a new story. For the younger Bram Stoker's Dracula fans expecting to see the original Dracula this is obviously not what you are going to find. In all honesty though, there has not been a version of the story retold by Hollywood to date in any form that has ever followed the original story. Any version of Dracula that portrays Dracula as anything other than a power hungry, blood drinking, demon that must be destroyed before he allures weak willed women into the temptation of sex, is a huge stray away from Bram Stoker's original book. The original book also did not have a love connection between Dracula and Mina but that has never stopped writers from making it happen.

One of the reasons behind a "Pilot" is to capture an audience's attention and making them want to see more of the story. It would not be effective if they told the complete story all in the first episode. As for me, they definitely have my attention. All of the actors with the exception of the actor that plays Jonathan Harker fit very well in their role. Each character has endless potential with the brief story we were given and the actors themselves are very believable in their roles.

Hopefully the show will survive the onslaught of ignorance from the viewers and become a long lasting series that leaves the audience always wanting to see more. I know I do.

Curious to see where it takes us

Author: findwilliams from United States
26 October 2013

Have to say without reservation that I will watch both Thomas Kretschmann and Jonathan Rhys Meyers in anything they choose. I would watch them sitting and staring at a wall for an hour because I know both are talented enough to make it interesting. Pairing the two and pitting them against a shadowy shared foe should prove interesting and I'm intrigued enough to want to know more. I like the lavishness of the production value and enjoy hearing all the names familiar to the novel, though with different interpretations. The character of Renfield has certainly taken a unique twist, and oh my goodness the shining Lady Jayne definitely has some secrets, doesn't she? Throwing in Thomas Edison, Nikola Tesla and the magnetosphere doesn't hurt. Flashlights didn't exist, eh? Well, do vampires? Take it for what it is, an imaginative derivation of a tale that still enthralls. I for one will keep watching, and probably re-watching to catch what I miss.

over all review

Author: teresa_gibson31 from United States
12 January 2014

I don't care if there is inaccurate things about this show. Or that it does not follow the typical lore of what a vamp can do etc. It is dark, it is engrossing, you feel the underlining essence of foreboding evil. Old Dracula didn't hate what he was, didn't care whom he killed. The new one is not far from that. But he wants to be a mortal man again. To have the life he had stolen when they killed his wife. But with Mina, whom he feels is his wife reborn. He doesn't just want to whisk her away as his vampire bride to Transylvania. The show is such a surprise. The cast of characters interwoven and so different from Stoker's story. Each episode doesn't rap up the story in a neat little bow by hour's end. It continues, pulling you in each time. It is a cinematic journey. I have to remind myself it's a TV show not an ongoing movie. Watch from the start or you will be lost. The lead becomes his character. Not just acts it.

I loved how different this Dracula is

Author: akgypsys from United States
31 October 2013

I have to say I love it. It is different, gutsy, creative and I love it so far. I am so glad this is different from the normal Dracula stories. Those were getting old. This one is a different vision, Which I am finding interesting and keeping my attention.

I love that Mina has a medical background, giving her intelligent and not a poor me kind of gal. She has has goals and is her own person.

I find it interesting partnership between Dracula and Van Helsing and love to see where that goes.

I am really digging the character Lady Jayne, she is pretty bad ass so far.

Most of all I love how Dracula has a goal other then chasing after Mina. He has a passion about him. I love how Jonathan Meyers plays this character and can't wait to see what happens next.

Nothing short of excellence.

Author: Simionescu Sabin from Ireland
30 November 2013

Being a fan of Bram Stoker's Dracula I was, at first, reluctant to watch this show.I kept seeing the adds on every channel and I kept thinking and smirking "Great, another spin-off to Dracula, like we needed more of those."I'm ashamed to say I was ignorant and the trailers I have watched haven't done it justice.

In my opinion the story, albeit different, is very enticing from the very first episode.What intrigues me is from whose perspective and how the story is told.I find it refreshing that it tells another story that what you would expect.

Mr. Meyers is perfect for this role, he looks the part and his acting is, dare I say, flawless.Another thing that surprised me is that he was pronouncing the words in Romanian with a natural accent, unlike I've heard in many other shows.

Simply put(in my opinion) the show is amazing and, if they carry on the likes they've done so far, I foresee a "bright" future for it.If, like me, you would sway to watch this show, I advise you to watch the first episode and you will be hooked.

Loved this!

Author: roxy2853 from United States
10 November 2013

I loved this take on Dracula. The show is different, scenic, visual with great characters and twists. I am sucked in and I am looking forward to new shows. Many have complained about the creative license of not following the true story. While I agree that is true, if I wanted to watch the same thing, I would simply re-watch Bram Stoker's Dracula or Van Helsing, which I also loved. I think people need to keep in mind this is a TV show and not a movie and in that respect I think it is top notch compared to a lot of other horror series. I love Jonathan Rhys Meyers and for those that find him attractive, I agree. No one ever said that Dracula had to be a heartthrob, but it appears that some believe he must be. Personally, I think Gary Oldman or Robert Patterson have nothing on Jonathan Rhys Meyers in the looks department, but they all have sex appeal, which I find really amusing in regards to Oldman especially. I really do hope this show continues throughout the season.

A fresh look at a very old story

Author: joshkaplan2 from United States
26 October 2013

Dracula has been done more times than pretty much any other story, and it's difficult to create something new in that kind of environment. Nevertheless, this incarnation, if done well, could be an incredibly compelling series, even if only to fanatics of the original. The titular character is made substantially more complex, both with a historical back-story (ala Bram Stoker's Dracula) and the incorporation of a Count of Monte Cristo-like persona into the vampire myth.

The novel Dracula was already a polyphonous one (being told through letters of various people), and by taking select bits of the original dialogue and mixing them into a more wide-scale (but interesting) context, each character is given a chance to be shown and developed in an organic way.

It's stylish, fairly atmospheric, and the dialogue is both era-appropriate and mostly lacking in clichés. Overall, it was nice to see show creators who seemed to genuinely want to do something creative rather than just going through the motions (such as in "Agents of Shield."). Who knows if Dracula will pan out well, but it's definitely worth seeing if it does.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]