IMDb > McCanick (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

McCanick More at IMDbPro »

good intentioned but top-heavy

Author: remembervhs from United States
1 November 2013

In regards to Corey Montieth: I saw that the other review focused almost entirely on Montieth's performance. In truth, he plays a supporting role without much screen time (although it is an important role). He does an adequate job, but I was not blown away by his performance. I will say that he was completely unrecognizable to me, which is a positive thing.

In regards to David Morse: A underrated actor who I have always appreciated. He carries the burden of the film on his shoulders and makes it look easy. Morse has a way of being menacing and is absolutely believable as a cop approaching retirement age who can still scare people shitless.

The movie as a whole: A mixed bag. Rather than being the gritty character study that it wants to be, it feels like a ripoff of some other superior gritty character study. The dialogue is just barely off the mark, but enough so that it feels slightly odd. Some plot points are naggingly unrealistic (For example, the idea that Morse's partner could be unaware of a robbery/rape that occurred the previous night. Believe me every cop in the city would be aware). The camera-work and direction are competent but bland. Morse raises my score from a 4 to a 6.

A grim crime drama showcasing two very good performances

Author: trublu215 from United States
20 July 2014

McCanick follows a darkly twisted Philly detective throughout one day as he tries to find a recently paroled ex con. This film stars David Morse in another Philadelphia based role and the late Cory Monteith, both of which give very seasoned performances that really elevate this film. To start off, the story here, while it is entertaining, is very hard to follow. It is telling two stories simultaneously, one through flashbacks, the other through present day. While this has worked for films of this sort in the past, McCanick misses its mark here regarding a coherent plot. However, as a character piece, this film is absolutely terrific . David Morse as McCanick is very realistic and true to his performance. Morse is especially great in delivering a spot on Philly accent and making us truly believe that this man is a complete psychopath. Another actor in need of much praise here is Cory Monteith. Despite passing away rather recently, this film is bittersweet in a sense. The man proved he was capable of delivering raw and intense emotions, it is a shame we will not be able to see Monteith truly evolve and grow as an actor. Mike Vogel, another Philly native, gives a rather lackluster performance in a bare bones type of role. It isn't necessarily Vogel's fault that his character was underwritten, but he could have at least spiced it up a bit on his own. The director Josh C. Waller has created a great atmosphere for Philadelphia along with delivering a very tasteful character study but he fails to deliver in telling a story that remains coherent and is paced right. In the glimpses of the story that we do get, it is broken information, some of which is said and then never touched upon again. This happens quite often in this film. Despite a bare bones and jumbled story, the film works as a gritty character study of an obsessive cop. If only the story was elaborated on more or cut out all together and went the Bad Lieutenant route, either way there is room for improvement. The only thing that I did not like in this film was the ending. Without giving away any spoilers, all I'll say is it is underwhelming. Overall, I feel Waller has a safe place for future films of this sort. He directs with confidence, even if the script is a bit flat, he makes it work. The real people to watch in this film though are both Morse and Monteith. These two actors really give two amazing performances that are quite impressive. Morse especially carries this movie on his shoulders and runs with it, he's very very good in this film. Anyone who is a crime film buff, you'll really enjoy this one. It's a really raw and gritty thriller with a lot to offer.

The Ultimate Movie Review! - http://tss5078.blogspot.com - @tss5078

Author: Tss5078 from United States
26 October 2014

On the surface, McCanick is a simple story of a cop going after an ex-con who he has a history with. As the film progresses, the lines begin to blur, leaving the audience to question who is really the good guy and who is actually the bad guy? This film is notable, as it is the last thing Glee star Cory Monteith worked on before he died, and it was a definite change in direction for the young star. The story starts on Eugene Wellington McCanick's birthday, a happy day that should mark a reunion with his son, but instead marks a day where he learns that the biggest bust of his career, acquiesced killer Simon Wells (Cory Monteith) had been paroled. McCanick is ordered to leave the situation alone, but he can't rest while this man is on the street and McCanick goes looking for trouble. This is a very dark and methodical drama that really seems to have no depth whatsoever, until you see both sides of the story presented in flashbacks. David Morse stars as your typical tough loner cop, whose life is all about the job. The kind of cop that takes his job personally and will do whatever it takes to bust the people he sees as a threat to his city. When I think tough guy, David Morse is not the first person who comes to mind, but he has a history of playing both the good and the bad guy, making the role of Eugene McCanick perfect for him. He's paired with Cory Monteith, who as a teen heartthrob, has never really been seen as more than a sweet, lovable guy. Simon Wells is anything but sweet an lovable, as he's been severally damaged by a life on the streets, but the question becomes just how bad a guy is he? McCanick is the kind of film where everything seems to be laid right out in front of you, the kind of film where you're not expecting a surprise, but that's the whole premise of the film. The whole purpose of the film is to make you question everything you believe and it really turns into to something very unique and special. McCanick doesn't have a cast or a preview that screams out to you, many people are just going to skip it, but if you do, you'll be missing that special kind of movie that leaves you thinking about it long after it's over.

Dark and deceitful cat and mouse game

Author: OJT from Norway
3 July 2014

David Morse is a messed up bad ass cop and self declaimed bad father with a shady character in this film, which is one of those which keeps you in the dark, and slowly unravels what it's all about. Slowly we learn both what is supposed to have happened, and what really has been happening, and who you are to trust. this is no action film, but a low character story.

David Morse and Corey Monteith is both playing well in this low budget independent film, which is filmed OK technically, but the storytelling, as in the manuscript doesn't help too much along the way in a film which could have been so much better with a more strict storytelling.

It's gloomy, dark and sad story, with a great gloomy soundtrack well suited for the story. It takes time for the story to unveil and take a grip on you, and when it does, it's almost to late. The film is a character study of a cop losing grip. Such a pity the story doesn't manage to build up the story in a better manner. It comes out an OK film, rated mediocre. a pity, since the acting work put into it deserves much more.

What A Tragedy!

Author: jhawk38-2 from United States
16 August 2014

This was yet another interesting indie film I was able to learn about through Netflix. It is a darkly moody story which requires paying close attention. As I watched this movie, I felt myself becoming more and more saddened and angry as the realization hit me that Cory Monteith possessed far more talent than he was ever called upon to demonstrate in Glee and this would be the last of his roles for eternity. Here was a young man already capable of holding his own with a seasoned actor like David Morse and obviously capable of becoming even better and better at his craft as time progressed. What a sad, sad waste of a young life.

Cory's last horrah

Author: songcalledrhonda-0-628808 from kentucky
14 May 2014

I watched this film for one reason cory monteith. This film overall will keep you guessing. What is the nature of mccanick and weeks' characters why does he hate him so much etc who is the bad guy?! I definitely recommend any glee/cory fan to watch if you haven't already...cory displayed a huge talent i had yet to see, the depth of this character is so unlike the unloving leader finn, it will make you wonder if this is how cory was in part in real life, if this is the pain he hid, and medicated to the point of his demise. i am both saddened and proud after watching this movie and am left with the knowledge that had he lived he no doubt would have made beautiful award winning material, but alas that is not the reality. 9/10 only not a 10 because cory deserved more screen time. rip cory we love you.

Best thing to do with things left in the dark to long is just Shine a big old light on 'em.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
12 November 2013

David Morse as usual is a great hard nosed cop. Good cast who do the best thing that they could to support Morse's performance, and that is to simply stay out of his way. That man is scary. :) The story is unique, and true, and the kind of story you want to see yanked up into the light. There are no punches pulled once we get to the truth, and get past all the bull. It is not boring to watch, but it does really lack in any real background substance. I don't "blame Canada" for that as others will, there just needs to be more attention taken by the direction, and production teams to bring the back ground to life, but not in such little swatches that you get here. Look at the TV the big falla is playing his xbox on, or any symbolic items you will see around Weeks' apartment I understand you want to show that junkies can't keep stuff, but the TV was just too small. The idea is there, but it will just be lost on most people as it goes by so quickly. You get more use of screen from today's TV dramas than sadly you do here. Cory Monteith is really good, there is just too much confusion in the first 90% of the film for you to understand why he does, and acts the way he does, but it all comes around. Worth the little bit of effort you will have to put forward to stay with this story to the end. Enjoy.

Grim, Dark, and Unsavory Cop Drama

Author: zardoz-13 from United States
18 February 2016

"Raze" director Josh Waller's melodramatic police yarn "McCanick" qualifies as an above-average but unsavory thriller about a troubled Philadelphia detective whose life spirals downward into tragedy. As the unhinged homicide detective with a past that he prefers to keep secret, David Morse is terrific as the eponymous protagonist McCanick. He behaves like Gene Hackman's psychotic, drug-busting N.Y.P.D. cop in William Friedkin's "The French Connection." Indeed, Waller stages a scene somewhere in the middle where McCanick pursues a suspect, Simon Weeks (the late Cory Monteith of "Glee"), on a subway train, but Weeks manages to board the train minutes before it pulls out of the station. A frustrated McCanick scrambles out of the station into the street below and hijacks a citizen's car and following the train to the next station. What starts out as just another standard-issue police procedural about a corrupt cop turns into a confusing narrative about a cop who is more concerned with his bisexual behavior. Weeks and he shared an intimate moment at Weeks' apartment when McCanick and he hugged and kissed each other and McCanick offered him a place to stay. Throughout scenarist Daniel Noah's script, two stories appear to unfold and crossover. The first half of "McCanick" isn't bad. McCanick and his ill-fated police partner, confront some dastardly drug dealers in an apartment. Not only does McCanick blast the evil African-American drug dealer, but he also accidentally guns down his partner, Floyd Intrator (Mitch Vogel of "Cloverfield") and then attributes the blame to Weeks. Naturally, this infuriates McCanick's superior, Captain Jerry Quinn (Ciarán Hinds of "Munich") who worries about McCanick's demeanor and the secrets cluttering up their past as well as their colleagues in the precinct.

"McCanick" isn't a bad film, but it is flawed. Primarily, the plot gets a little confusing and takes a bad turn. Imagine "Training Day" with a white protagonist who is a little more sympathetic but ultimately doomed. You may like McCanick, but the character has several bad characteristics that pull at arm's length. He emerges as a villain in the end. David Morse's performance is outstanding as a man in turmoil whose last act is pretty horrific. The rest of the performances are serviceable, with Hinds doing wonders with a small part. Waller generates atmosphere with his on location lensing in Philadelphia, and cinematographer Martin Ahlgren always thrusts us into the best possible place to see the action unfold. Traditional audiences that love film noir thrillers will enjoy this more than popcorn and beer spectators that want to see an action-packed epic. If you like to feel good at the end of each movie that you watch, "McCanick" may alienate you. You'll feel more relieved than satisfied.

A slice of the tragic.

Author: currey-231-898201 from Canada
14 January 2015

I was amazed at the negative reviews of this film. I simply bawled.

David Morse acted superbly the plight of a man who is coming to know who he is and what he is capable of given certain circumstances. Only a man of conscience could react the way the lead character did in this film.

This is a psychological drama/thriller that keeps one guessing till the end and reveals the tragedy of the human condition with great poignancy.

Perhaps the secret that the lead was dealing with was concealed in a rather confusing fashion and made it hard to follow along but it is a ploy often used in the movies and doesn't take away from the core theme of the story. I cannot explain the core theme without giving away too much so I will just admonish viewers to take the time to watch this almost masterpiece of psychology if they have lived a little and are honest.

I loved this

Author: GUENOT PHILIPPE (philippe.guenot@dbmail.com) from France
7 December 2014

Unfortunately, I only watched this film noir in french spoken, in a horrible dubbing. No other way to see it. On a DVD release with no English...Anyway, this did not prevent me to appreciate, to love this bleak, dark, depressing story of a cop on the road to perdition. A borderline cop, as I crave for. I thought of a old french crime flick, made in the early eighties, starring Victor Lanoux and Xavier Deluc, in a nearly same scheme. LA TRICHE. Nearly, I insist. The scheme of the cop involved - only in the end - in a homosexual matter, made me think of the french film. For the rest, both of these features are film noir describing cops on the loose. The savage one, with no redemption at the end. Useless to say that the underrated and too much unknown David Morse gives here a more than brilliant performance. But, as I said, this movie will remain unknown, except the fact that it was the last one of this young supporting actor, whose I don't remember the name. Here, he play's the lead's side kick.