IMDb > 22 Jump Street (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
22 Jump Street

22 Jump Street More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

On par with the first one!

Author: EddyOne from Frankfurt, Germany
5 June 2014

It's pretty easy to review this one. If you liked the first one, you're in for a treat. It holds up to the expectations and plays cleverly with 'being aware' of making basically the same movie again. The good thing about this flick is, that it doesn't take itself too seriously while at the same time delivering a good and fast paced story with quite some surprises and good action. I basically laughed from the first minute up to the (awesome!) end credits! If you like that type of comedy, this one is for you, as it delivers on point and, without a doubt, is the funniest flick this year so far! Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have a great chemistry and you can see and feel, how they enjoyed doing this movie. Like the first one, 22 Jump Street does a great job observing the different aspects of college life, students and teachers (or professors for that matter). Everyone who's been to college can relate to those stereotypes (e.g. the pseudo intellectuals, the sport jocks, the art students etc.) and directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller ("The Lego Movie") do a great job spoofing those clichés while at same time debunk the downsides and shallowness of those groups or college life in general.

Verdict: Go see it, if you liked the first one. I can't say if it's better, but it certainly holds up. And I liked the first one pretty much. So there you go...

Successfully Jumping Back On The Street

Author: SmashingUKProductions from Worcester, England
18 June 2014

My initial expectations were that '22 Jump Street' would be an over-the- top and cheesy sequel created solely to make money... I was wrong. '22 Jump Street' truly builds on the basis of the first film, further expanding upon the bromantic chemistry between Tatum and Hill creating an even more solid sequel full of good-natured humour and relentless action that made its predecessor such a great film. With Ice Cube having more of an impact this time round, the trio pursue their leads to ensure the villains are brought to justice. The direction duo have pulled off another amazing film to add to their filmography, a truly impressive and hilariously funny film.

Total garbage

Author: RustySpiderr from Australia
26 June 2014

How on Earth is this film rated so highly? There's no true wit or intelligence within the script, it's just stupid, lame jokes & a lot of unnecessary swearing which the movie seems to think is funny. I'm not saying swearing doesn't have a place in film, but overusing them to this extent is extremely noticeable & came across as childish.

The story is about as boring and formulaic as they come. First act; they enter college, second act; their relationship is tested, third act; everything works out, happy ending. It's like they didn't even try to be different or original.

Every single character is a one-dimensional stereotype. They never exhibit traits that show any form of depth; they were all so formulaic it felt like all their actions were generated from a computer.

Overall, absolute piece of garbage. If you're American and enjoy flat-out idiotic humor devoid of any wit or intelligence, I recommend it, but otherwise stay away.

Only Watch if You Are Brainwashed Into Paying For Garbage Like This as Actual Entertainment

Author: heatherderringer from Dunkirk
2 July 2014

I have never seen such a bad movie like this one. The script is a huge load of illogical and absurd events which in the end collapse together into am anti-climax ending. And the acting even manages to out-worsen the completely trashy plot. Every actors and actresses in this film seem to worry that the audiences might not be able to hear them clearly so they just yelled at a maximum volume and it was not pleasant at all! The the slap-tick humor could have been able to save this film from becoming a total disaster but frankly it didn't work at all.

Trust me, there's literally nothing good about this cheap piece of B-rated half-ass movie. Save your money and never give it a go!

Emperor's New Backpack

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
15 June 2014

Loaded with potential, 22 JUMP STREET is the sequel to the comedic buddy teamup (based on the 1980's Johnny Depp TV show) where Christopher Tatum and Jonah Hill posed as high schoolers to bust a drug dealer… Not only did it score at the box office, 21 JUMP STREET was actually really funny and involving, and the duo made a fantastic polar opposite team.

The first of many inside-jokes is when Ice Cube's grouchy Captain of the 22 Jump Street's new abandoned church location comments on how no one thought the first "reboot" (referring to the church within the movie, but not really) would actually work like it did... And now they're piling more money into this new one (again quasi-referring to the church)… Something sequels actually have to do to win over audiences, a second time.

The intentionally mirrored storyline of Hill's Schmidt and Tatum's Jenko in college lacks the suspenseful undercover element of keeping their identities secret: Not only do they constantly shrug off the mission at hand… finding the drug dealer that sold to a girl who fatally overdosed… but the students they're involved with are equally pointless and unmotivated.

Jenko bonds with a fellow football jock while Schmidt scores (much too easily) with a girl way out of his league. The twist on who that girl's related to provides some laughter but the joke gets old after a while. As do the bromantic metrosexual comparisons about the bickering cop-partners being in and out of a close relationship... You're straight but seem otherwise: We get it already!

The best scenes take place after the weary college story peters out… Not like it had any real juice in the first place… Hell, even their current psychedelic overdose is lame and contrived. So when the boys infiltrate Spring Break/Mexico there's a neat burst of overboard sequel-action to make us forget two things: 22 isn't as good as the first venture, and the first 3/4ths of this movie isn't very good at all.

Good and Properly Stupid

Author: gregtoolson from United States
8 September 2014

All these reviews are bashing the crap out of this movie. 'It's aimless drivel and only for mindless idiots'. Well....Yeah. When I watch a comedy like this that's what I hope for. Sometime you just want to turn off your brain for an hour and a half and watch two familiar "actors" play out ridiculous but easy enough to grasp scenarios while they foolishly react. A post-viewing critique is pointless because the directors have no intention of it being able to hold up on creative or any kind of artistic merit. If you want to think about what you're watching, or enjoy good story development, or simply see some great acting then there are plenty of movies like Rashomon, Eraserhead, The Man from Earth, Memories of Murder, Hitchcock films, Miyszaki films, or something like Life Is Beautiful or It's A Wonderful Life(I forget which is which, both great). And there's nothing wrong with a good documentary know and then either. But something good and properly stupid can be just the right thing when you need to take a respite. Not all comedies are going to be a quipping Woody Allen flicks. It's really about getting a good balance in your movies types and picking the right one for your current mood. In other words this movie is just what it intends to be and just what wanted it to be. Pure and easy entertainment.

...Now I'm going to get my Audrey Hepburn on and watch My Fair Lady.

Bromantic comedy of the year

Author: Viswanath Dhanisetty from Netherlands
7 June 2014

Quickie Review:

After a successful undercover drug bust operation in high school, Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) get their next big assignment. Now in the sequel 22 Jump Street, as Ice Cube so eloquently put it, these "two sons of b***hes are going to college." As the cop duo take on yet another drug ring, they go through multitude of ridiculous yet hilarious situations. In doing so, there are some formulaic traps that the movie does fall into. Despite that, it is just an incredible ride with non-stop laughter and great comedic chemistry between the lead actors. This is a must-see for fans of 21 Jump Street and people who generally like to laugh.

Full Review:

The original movie, 21 Jump Street, was a surprise hit back in 2012. It was a movie filled with many belly aching moments of laughter. For that reason, of all the comedies of 2014 this sequel may be the most anticipated, at least it was for me. So the question is: does it deliver on the high expectations? And the answer is: oh hell yes it does.

There is one absolute in this franchise that no one will dispute, the chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is incredible. As soon as their on screen you immediately start smiling, just because you feel the need to prepare yourself for something amusing. Then when they do go about their shenanigans, numerous twists and turns occur that are fun to watch unfold, to hilarious effect. The jokes are fast paced and relentless, without it being tiresome. More importantly the comedy is actually clever, even during some of the scenarios the are more stupid due to some absurdity. The combination of the comedic duo and the intelligent humor work flawlessly, making the flick all the more entertaining. As great as the two leads are with their comedic timing, I need to especially mention Ice Cube. I won't spoil anything of course, but there are points in this movie where Ice Cube actually steals the scenes he is in. I'd pay the full movie ticket price just to see that dynamic between Ice Cube and the two leads. It is that good.

I do recognize there are some faults with 22 Jump Street. It did stick with the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." In that sense, the general story plot is pretty much the same as the original movie. 22 Jump Street is self-aware of what it is, and pokes fun of itself for being a sequel that follows the formula. However, addressing this fault in that comedic way will not be enough for everyone to forgive it. Still, I think this is something that you can easily look past because of how enjoyable the movie is.

The one purpose of a comedy is to make you laugh, and 22 Jump Street fulfills that requirement consistently throughout the movie. By throughout the movie, I mean even during the credits. Your cheeks will have a good exercise, because mine were in pain with all the laughing. It is well worth your time and money, so don't miss out on this one. If they keep this up I will be there even at 1022 Jump Street.

Giggles from start to finish

Author: Figgy66-915-598470 from United Kingdom
11 June 2014

11 June 2014 Film of Choice at The Plaza Dorchester Tonight - 22 Jump Street. This film was a hoot!!! I only watched 21 Jump Street at the weekend in preparation for the sequel and although I enjoyed it I have to say the sequel was much better. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are a great double act and the film provides just the right amount of slapstick humour combined with witty banter and the serious side of undercover police work. Imagine if you will two undercover cops, not the brightest pair, sent back to college to infiltrate the latest drug ring. Whatever you are's in this sequel. Hill and Tatum are tight.....they have each other's backs and are best buds but going back to college shows each of them a new direction and their friendship is severely tested in this world of frat parties, pledging and that oh so American Institution.......Spring Break. A giggle from start to finish and Channing Tatum's not bad to look at either. Stay for the credits!!!!

A worthy sequel

Author: Matic Boh
12 June 2014

Hilarious, often outrageous, but above all thoroughly entertaining, 22 Jump Street manages to recapture all the humor and audacity its successful predecessor had to offer, while also offering some new thrills and unpredictability along the way. The film strikes a unique and clever balance between exploring new comedic ideas and continuing the themes from the first installment, as it maintains its core story but also offers enough twists to create new excitement. Although the storyline is very much similar to the first film, it does seem fresh and original at the same time, which creates a sequel that can be differentiated from others, as the plot is not merely redesigned in an awkward and uninteresting way. But perhaps the film's dominant feature continues to be the strong chemistry between the two leading men, who again combine their talents to create the ultimate comedy team. Overall this comedy sequel stands out due to its ability to embrace the success of the its predecessor, as 22 Jump Street uses the power of repetition to recreate the unique comedic atmosphere, which allows the film to establish a very distinct comedy series.

Chemistry of the Best Kind!!!

Author: aharmas from United States
14 June 2014

When I was about to give up on modern comedies, here comes a sequel that outdoes the original ten times or more. Tatum is excellent as the slowest of the pair, proving he's a very good comedian, both physically and delivering some of the funniest lines in the movie, and his partner, Hill, redeems himself from the depths of "Wolf" with a turn that shows how talented he can be. His multidimensional geek fully forms a perfect whole with the physical and sweet jock turn by Tatum.

Before we can catch our breaths, the leads are back in school, this time in college trying to stop the viral distribution of a new drug. We all know how it will turn out, but the set up is to put these two in an environment where they will not fit because of the obvious. Hill, well spins his character in a different dimension and takes on a romantic and bromantic persona. His romance and break up scenes rank way up there with the zaniness of "Some Like it Hot", and we are not prepared even in the more open times for some of the exchanges between the two actors when every other lines has a double meaning. This is classic comedy. In particular, the scene in the psychologist office had the audience laugh out loud because absolutely no one on screen was tuned to the same channel, and it kept getting funnier and funnier. For a moment, I thought I was watching "Tootsie" and some of its best bits when the main character was having a nightmarish experience. This time, Hill and Tatum do an amazing job by taking their bromance into new levels.

Tatum is definitely having the time of his life, as he finds his soul mate in school and apparently his destiny in life. Here he is living his dream, succeeding at every possible endeavor, being popular, sharing every moment with his newly found friend. This is serious competition for his undercover buddy, and the writers take flight with it when we see the reactions in Hill's face and their further exchanges.

The silly action scenes and the vulgarity that peppers and ruins much of what they call comedy nowadays take a second seat to the development of characters here. We're not sitting listening to boring expositions or innumerable descriptions of bathroom humor. Yes, those elements are carefully placed, and what comes out is the silliness, the naivete and stupidity of how the characters deal with their relationships with each other. What might have been vulgar in another film, here ranks with some of the best comedy in the movies. There are many tributes and references to those films throughout "22". Be ready to acknowledge the talents of Allen, Benny H., and a few others as winks are given to the audience. This might not be highbrow comedy, but it is beautifully delivered. Much of the credit once again goes to the incredible work by Tatum and the fine support Hill gives him. You will be laughing out loud over and over.

There is one scene that has the explosion of a parent in a visitation day, and Ice Cub's outburst is one of the funniest ever on film. His rantings and reactions to a sudden realization about something one of his undercover agents has done was a moment to treasure because of his excellent timing and the rest of the cast's facial reactions. Whoever wrote the screenplay did his homework and made sure that the skeleton didn't go in without every other element to make a fantastic comedy. So many times we have been given trash, full of unnecessary and stupid jokes that are more shocking than funny. The recent "Neighbors" being a prime example of everything that can go wrong with miscasting, misfired lines, and lazy direction.

To close, there is beauty in all kinds of art. We have incredible harmonies in rock and heavy metal anthems. Class and perfection doesn't only occur in historical and pretentious comedies. Those are bound to be disappointments because they appeal to people who think only a particular type of productions should be considered fine entertainment. Some of the classics surprised us because we didn't expect much at first, but we felt pleased, entertained, and we were moved with the depth of what lied behind the the facade. "22" is a whole piece to be savored and enjoyed, and to laugh out loud, too.

Page 1 of 32:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]