IMDb > 22 Jump Street (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
22 Jump Street

22 Jump Street More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

On par with the first one!

Author: EddyOne from Frankfurt, Germany
5 June 2014

It's pretty easy to review this one. If you liked the first one, you're in for a treat. It holds up to the expectations and plays cleverly with 'being aware' of making basically the same movie again. The good thing about this flick is, that it doesn't take itself too seriously while at the same time delivering a good and fast paced story with quite some surprises and good action. I basically laughed from the first minute up to the (awesome!) end credits! If you like that type of comedy, this one is for you, as it delivers on point and, without a doubt, is the funniest flick this year so far! Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have a great chemistry and you can see and feel, how they enjoyed doing this movie. Like the first one, 22 Jump Street does a great job observing the different aspects of college life, students and teachers (or professors for that matter). Everyone who's been to college can relate to those stereotypes (e.g. the pseudo intellectuals, the sport jocks, the art students etc.) and directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller ("The Lego Movie") do a great job spoofing those clichés while at same time debunk the downsides and shallowness of those groups or college life in general.

Verdict: Go see it, if you liked the first one. I can't say if it's better, but it certainly holds up. And I liked the first one pretty much. So there you go...

Total garbage

Author: RustySpiderr from Australia
26 June 2014

How on Earth is this film rated so highly? There's no true wit or intelligence within the script, it's just stupid, lame jokes & a lot of unnecessary swearing which the movie seems to think is funny. I'm not saying swearing doesn't have a place in film, but overusing them to this extent is extremely noticeable & came across as childish.

The story is about as boring and formulaic as they come. First act; they enter college, second act; their relationship is tested, third act; everything works out, happy ending. It's like they didn't even try to be different or original.

Every single character is a one-dimensional stereotype. They never exhibit traits that show any form of depth; they were all so formulaic it felt like all their actions were generated from a computer.

Overall, absolute piece of garbage. If you're American and enjoy flat-out idiotic humor devoid of any wit or intelligence, I recommend it, but otherwise stay away.

Successfully Jumping Back On The Street

Author: SmashingUKProductions from Worcester, England
18 June 2014

My initial expectations were that '22 Jump Street' would be an over-the- top and cheesy sequel created solely to make money... I was wrong. '22 Jump Street' truly builds on the basis of the first film, further expanding upon the bromantic chemistry between Tatum and Hill creating an even more solid sequel full of good-natured humour and relentless action that made its predecessor such a great film. With Ice Cube having more of an impact this time round, the trio pursue their leads to ensure the villains are brought to justice. The direction duo have pulled off another amazing film to add to their filmography, a truly impressive and hilariously funny film.

Only Watch if You Are Brainwashed Into Paying For Garbage Like This as Actual Entertainment

Author: heatherderringer from Dunkirk
2 July 2014

I have never seen such a bad movie like this one. The script is a huge load of illogical and absurd events which in the end collapse together into am anti-climax ending. And the acting even manages to out-worsen the completely trashy plot. Every actors and actresses in this film seem to worry that the audiences might not be able to hear them clearly so they just yelled at a maximum volume and it was not pleasant at all! The the slap-tick humor could have been able to save this film from becoming a total disaster but frankly it didn't work at all.

Trust me, there's literally nothing good about this cheap piece of B-rated half-ass movie. Save your money and never give it a go!

Emperor's New Backpack

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
15 June 2014

Loaded with potential, 22 JUMP STREET is the sequel to the comedic buddy teamup (based on the 1980's Johnny Depp TV show) where Christopher Tatum and Jonah Hill posed as high schoolers to bust a drug dealer… Not only did it score at the box office, 21 JUMP STREET was actually really funny and involving, and the duo made a fantastic polar opposite team.

The first of many inside-jokes is when Ice Cube's grouchy Captain of the 22 Jump Street's new abandoned church location comments on how no one thought the first "reboot" (referring to the church within the movie, but not really) would actually work like it did... And now they're piling more money into this new one (again quasi-referring to the church)… Something sequels actually have to do to win over audiences, a second time.

The intentionally mirrored storyline of Hill's Schmidt and Tatum's Jenko in college lacks the suspenseful undercover element of keeping their identities secret: Not only do they constantly shrug off the mission at hand… finding the drug dealer that sold to a girl who fatally overdosed… but the students they're involved with are equally pointless and unmotivated.

Jenko bonds with a fellow football jock while Schmidt scores (much too easily) with a girl way out of his league. The twist on who that girl's related to provides some laughter but the joke gets old after a while. As do the bromantic metrosexual comparisons about the bickering cop-partners being in and out of a close relationship... You're straight but seem otherwise: We get it already!

The best scenes take place after the weary college story peters out… Not like it had any real juice in the first place… Hell, even their current psychedelic overdose is lame and contrived. So when the boys infiltrate Spring Break/Mexico there's a neat burst of overboard sequel-action to make us forget two things: 22 isn't as good as the first venture, and the first 3/4ths of this movie isn't very good at all.

Better than the first though that isn't saying much

Author: Truckhitterfilms from United States
24 June 2014

I swear, sometimes I'm too optimistic. Even though "21 Jump Street" is one of my least favorite movies and one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I felt obligated to see "22 Jump Street" and went through with it because I thought this time around they may of had something. While "22 Jump Street" is better than "21 Jump Street", though that isn't hard for any movie to do, it still suffers from the same problems as the first and has some elements to it that even surpasses "21 Jump Street" in awfulness.

Starting off with Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) once again screwing up a police mission, they somehow get to keep their jobs and are just put back onto Jump Street, now moved across the street in a different abandoned church. Schmidt and Jenko are given the relatively same assignment as they had in the last film except this time they're going to college because they look too old for high school, which raises the question why they're working for a police group that goes undercover as students when everyone can see that they aren't students.

"22 Jump Street" does a lot of the same stuff that its predecessor did, especially the use of self-awareness as a mode of self-preservation. Just because a movie is unneeded and pointless but is aware of it does not make it any less unneeded and pointless. A movie like "Scream" is self-aware, but it uses that self-awareness to try and make it stand out while "22 Jump Street" makes light of the fact that they're doing the whole thing over again without adding anything new to it. It's fine if a movie is self-aware, but "22 Jump Street" does not use it to its full advantage and just uses it as a tool so people can't criticize the movie because it's self-aware.

Once again, Schmidt and Jenko share zero chemistry together, despite the fact they helped each other through the police academy, went through the high school mission together and supposedly came out stronger, and now have been partners for a while. Not only do these two not show any chemistry, their relationship is easily showed up by Jenko's friendship with Zook (Wyatt Russell). I do not remember a single memorable moment between Schmidt and Jenko alone.

This time around, Jenko is the one having fun and getting caught up in the whole school experience while Schmidt is the outcast who we're supposed to feel sorry for. Unfortunately, this backfires as Jenko makes attempts to keep their duo together and Schmidt just can't keep up while at the same time Jenko is trying to move on and Schmidt is holding him back. Why am I supposed to want these two to be partners when it's so evident one is holding the other back and they share zero chemistry?

To the movie's credit, there were three mildly amusing parts to it. One of which involves Captain Dickson (Ice Cube) finding out that Schmidt and his daughter (Amber Stevens) hooked up, Jenko finding out and then running around telling everyone at Jump Street what happened, and the first part of the ending credits with Schmidt and Jenko in med school. Aside from those three parts, the movie is made up of the same desperate attempts at comedy that the first film had.

With the same problems as the first film but with three mildly amusing comedy scenes, "22 Jump Street" is better than "21 Jump Street" in the most superficial terms, but better nonetheless. Though, when you're a sequel to "21 Jump Street", expectations are on the ground so there is no way to go but up.

Good and Properly Stupid

Author: gregtoolson from United States
8 September 2014

All these reviews are bashing the crap out of this movie. 'It's aimless drivel and only for mindless idiots'. Well....Yeah. When I watch a comedy like this that's what I hope for. Sometime you just want to turn off your brain for an hour and a half and watch two familiar "actors" play out ridiculous but easy enough to grasp scenarios while they foolishly react. A post-viewing critique is pointless because the directors have no intention of it being able to hold up on creative or any kind of artistic merit. If you want to think about what you're watching, or enjoy good story development, or simply see some great acting then there are plenty of movies like Rashomon, Eraserhead, The Man from Earth, Memories of Murder, Hitchcock films, Miyszaki films, or something like Life Is Beautiful or It's A Wonderful Life(I forget which is which, both great). And there's nothing wrong with a good documentary know and then either. But something good and properly stupid can be just the right thing when you need to take a respite. Not all comedies are going to be a quipping Woody Allen flicks. It's really about getting a good balance in your movies types and picking the right one for your current mood. In other words this movie is just what it intends to be and just what wanted it to be. Pure and easy entertainment.

...Now I'm going to get my Audrey Hepburn on and watch My Fair Lady.

a definitely nice laugh

Author: Johan Dondokambey from Indonesia
25 June 2014

Schmidt and Jenko are back on undercover. After a failed bust on Ghost, this time they're in college after a new drug WHYPHY claims one girl Cynthia. Jenko soon makes friends with Zook and Rooster the jocks, Rooster has the same tattoo as a man in an intel photo. Schmidt gets close to Maya, an art student, to a point that they have sex. It turns out that Maya is Cpt. Dickson's daughter. Jenko gets play football and turns out to be good at it, up to a point that he tells Schmidt that he thinks of quitting being a policeman and continue football with Zook, all while in a car chase after Ghost, which ended in a failure.

They separate for a while but reunites again and finds that Mercedes, Maya's roommate, is actually Ghost's daughter and WHYPHY dealer. In a bust, with Dickson's men, Ghst run off after Mercedes shoots and kidnaps Dickson. Schmidt eventually catches her and joins Jenko in chasing Ghost. They both jump and hang on Ghost's helicopter. Schmidt grabs Jenko's hand as he slips and then Jenko throws a grenade on the helicopter, finishing their job for this movie. Dickson then tells the pair about their next job in medical school, which is a sneak peek at 23 Jump Street, the next sequel.

The story is 'just the same' as the original, if you catch my drift, LOL. Anyways, yeah the story is essentially the same as the prequel, as the narc pair navigate their way within the world of college. The twists are quite nice, especially about Maya and Mercedes, although quite predictable.

But the real fun factor and magnet for viewers are the jokes, which are quite original. The 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith' fight scene is just a hilarious spoof of the Pitt-Jolie movie. The thing with Schmidt wanting to take a bullet for Jenko is also stupidly hilarious although only shown for some short time. The thing with Mr. Walters and Eric is also a nice and crazy comedy.

The acting is quite surprisingly a bit of lower quality than of the original 21 Jump Street (2012). Channing Tatum loses a bit of his facial expression in comparison to the prequel. But Jonah Hill gets more hilarious. Ice Cube gets a more cheerful mood for his character now, despite the thing for the scene before the taser scene.

The verdict is a definite 7 out of 10 score from me for this movie. A recommendation is a yes because this movie is not a waste of your time and money, definitely a good laugh.

22 Jump Street Review

Author: Anthony Mora from United States
22 September 2014

You ever watch a sequel to a movie, and the sequel was pretty much the same thing as the original with nothing new to give our money's worth? Well , 22 Jump Street both is and spoofs the idea of that last sentence... and it kills! So we pick up again with Schmidt and Jenko (Hill and Tatum) in the middle of a drug bust. The two blow it, and after being told that maybe they should "just do what you did last time" are thrown right back into the same exact situation that they were put into in the original movie 2 years ago. The situation, of course, to go undercover and find who's selling a new drug to the local student body. Only NOW, instead of high school misshaps, we get some college chaos! The thing that I liked most about 22 JS is that it's a fun movie and doesn't take itself seriously, AT ALL! People will say, "waah but it's the SAME movie!" and the movie will spit back in your face "we know stupid", almost literally in some scenes. Like I said guys, it's more than less the same movie we got back in 2012, so the story gets 0 points for any originality. But the comedy makes this movie feel fresh and always coming at you. That's props to the group of writers behind the script. You get a lot of good gut hurting moments where you're laughing hard, but their are maybe two scenes that had me like "okay this joke is stale". The roommate who kept calling Jonah Hill old needed to delete from my sight. Another strong point that makes this a great comedy is the chemistry between the star duo. You just wanna hang out with these two dudes, their both hilarious in their roles. Jonah Hill is funny as always, Channing Tatum is someone I'm getting to like more and more but it's Ice Cube ladies and gentlemen that steals #themothafuckinshow. The dinner buffet scene is GOLD! Or should I say ICE COLD 😉. Again there were a few jokes that got boring after too many blows and the villains in this movie were't as enjoyable as the ones in the first, but this is a really funny comedy action buddy flick. Stay tuned for an awesome end credits that makes the movie! I recommend you definitely buy it on Blu- ray!

Giggles from start to finish

Author: Figgy66-915-598470 from United Kingdom
11 June 2014

11 June 2014 Film of Choice at The Plaza Dorchester Tonight - 22 Jump Street. This film was a hoot!!! I only watched 21 Jump Street at the weekend in preparation for the sequel and although I enjoyed it I have to say the sequel was much better. Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum are a great double act and the film provides just the right amount of slapstick humour combined with witty banter and the serious side of undercover police work. Imagine if you will two undercover cops, not the brightest pair, sent back to college to infiltrate the latest drug ring. Whatever you are imagining.....it's in this sequel. Hill and Tatum are tight.....they have each other's backs and are best buds but going back to college shows each of them a new direction and their friendship is severely tested in this world of frat parties, pledging and that oh so American Institution.......Spring Break. A giggle from start to finish and Channing Tatum's not bad to look at either. Stay for the credits!!!!

Page 1 of 24:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]