IMDb > 22 Jump Street (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
22 Jump Street

22 Jump Street More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

On par with the first one!

Author: EddyOne from Frankfurt, Germany
5 June 2014

It's pretty easy to review this one. If you liked the first one, you're in for a treat. It holds up to the expectations and plays cleverly with 'being aware' of making basically the same movie again. The good thing about this flick is, that it doesn't take itself too seriously while at the same time delivering a good and fast paced story with quite some surprises and good action. I basically laughed from the first minute up to the (awesome!) end credits! If you like that type of comedy, this one is for you, as it delivers on point and, without a doubt, is the funniest flick this year so far! Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum have a great chemistry and you can see and feel, how they enjoyed doing this movie. Like the first one, 22 Jump Street does a great job observing the different aspects of college life, students and teachers (or professors for that matter). Everyone who's been to college can relate to those stereotypes (e.g. the pseudo intellectuals, the sport jocks, the art students etc.) and directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller ("The Lego Movie") do a great job spoofing those clichés while at same time debunk the downsides and shallowness of those groups or college life in general.

Verdict: Go see it, if you liked the first one. I can't say if it's better, but it certainly holds up. And I liked the first one pretty much. So there you go...

Successfully Jumping Back On The Street

Author: SmashingUKProductions from Worcester, England
18 June 2014

My initial expectations were that '22 Jump Street' would be an over-the- top and cheesy sequel created solely to make money... I was wrong. '22 Jump Street' truly builds on the basis of the first film, further expanding upon the bromantic chemistry between Tatum and Hill creating an even more solid sequel full of good-natured humour and relentless action that made its predecessor such a great film. With Ice Cube having more of an impact this time round, the trio pursue their leads to ensure the villains are brought to justice. The direction duo have pulled off another amazing film to add to their filmography, a truly impressive and hilariously funny film.

Funniest film of the year (so far!)

Author: callum-low from Hampshire, England
6 June 2014

Keeping this brief, this is no doubt the funniest film I've seen since the turn of the year. Channing Tatum and Jonah Hill make a great bromance couple, and although appearing in the disappointing "Ride Along", Ice Cube too is brilliant in this film.

Expect non-stop entertainment as excellent humour is mixed with an interesting yet simple plot, heartfelt moments and exciting action. My only complaint would be that at times it felt a little recycled from the first film. Though having enjoyed that I wasn't too fussed.

More than worth your moneys worth. If you enjoyed 21 Jump Street, then you'd be mad not to see this.

Emperor's New Backpack

Author: cultfilmfreaksdotcom from Orange County, CA
15 June 2014

Loaded with potential, 22 JUMP STREET is the sequel to the comedic buddy teamup (based on the 1980's Johnny Depp TV show) where Christopher Tatum and Jonah Hill posed as high schoolers to bust a drug dealer… Not only did it score at the box office, 21 JUMP STREET was actually really funny and involving, and the duo made a fantastic polar opposite team.

The first of many inside-jokes is when Ice Cube's grouchy Captain of the 22 Jump Street's new abandoned church location comments on how no one thought the first "reboot" (referring to the church within the movie, but not really) would actually work like it did... And now they're piling more money into this new one (again quasi-referring to the church)… Something sequels actually have to do to win over audiences, a second time.

The intentionally mirrored storyline of Hill's Schmidt and Tatum's Jenko in college lacks the suspenseful undercover element of keeping their identities secret: Not only do they constantly shrug off the mission at hand… finding the drug dealer that sold to a girl who fatally overdosed… but the students they're involved with are equally pointless and unmotivated.

Jenko bonds with a fellow football jock while Schmidt scores (much too easily) with a girl way out of his league. The twist on who that girl's related to provides some laughter but the joke gets old after a while. As do the bromantic metrosexual comparisons about the bickering cop-partners being in and out of a close relationship... You're straight but seem otherwise: We get it already!

The best scenes take place after the weary college story peters out… Not like it had any real juice in the first place… Hell, even their current psychedelic overdose is lame and contrived. So when the boys infiltrate Spring Break/Mexico there's a neat burst of overboard sequel-action to make us forget two things: 22 isn't as good as the first venture, and the first 3/4ths of this movie isn't very good at all.

Total garbage

Author: RustySpiderr from Australia
26 June 2014

How on Earth is this film rated so highly? There's no true wit or intelligence within the script, it's just stupid, lame jokes & a lot of unnecessary swearing which the movie seems to think is funny. I'm not saying swearing doesn't have a place in film, but overusing them to this extent is extremely noticeable & came across as childish.

The story is about as boring and formulaic as they come. First act; they enter college, second act; their relationship is tested, third act; everything works out, happy ending. It's like they didn't even try to be different or original.

Every single character is a one-dimensional stereotype. They never exhibit traits that show any form of depth; they were all so formulaic it felt like all their actions were generated from a computer.

Overall, absolute piece of garbage. If you're American and enjoy flat-out idiotic humor devoid of any wit or intelligence, I recommend it, but otherwise stay away.

Only Watch if You Are Brainwashed Into Paying For Garbage Like This as Actual Entertainment

Author: heatherderringer from Dunkirk
2 July 2014

I have never seen such a bad movie like this one. The script is a huge load of illogical and absurd events which in the end collapse together into am anti-climax ending. And the acting even manages to out-worsen the completely trashy plot. Every actors and actresses in this film seem to worry that the audiences might not be able to hear them clearly so they just yelled at a maximum volume and it was not pleasant at all! The the slap-tick humor could have been able to save this film from becoming a total disaster but frankly it didn't work at all.

Trust me, there's literally nothing good about this cheap piece of B-rated half-ass movie. Save your money and never give it a go!

Bromantic comedy of the year

Author: Viswanath Dhanisetty from Netherlands
7 June 2014

Quickie Review:

After a successful undercover drug bust operation in high school, Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) get their next big assignment. Now in the sequel 22 Jump Street, as Ice Cube so eloquently put it, these "two sons of b***hes are going to college." As the cop duo take on yet another drug ring, they go through multitude of ridiculous yet hilarious situations. In doing so, there are some formulaic traps that the movie does fall into. Despite that, it is just an incredible ride with non-stop laughter and great comedic chemistry between the lead actors. This is a must-see for fans of 21 Jump Street and people who generally like to laugh.

Full Review:

The original movie, 21 Jump Street, was a surprise hit back in 2012. It was a movie filled with many belly aching moments of laughter. For that reason, of all the comedies of 2014 this sequel may be the most anticipated, at least it was for me. So the question is: does it deliver on the high expectations? And the answer is: oh hell yes it does.

There is one absolute in this franchise that no one will dispute, the chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is incredible. As soon as their on screen you immediately start smiling, just because you feel the need to prepare yourself for something amusing. Then when they do go about their shenanigans, numerous twists and turns occur that are fun to watch unfold, to hilarious effect. The jokes are fast paced and relentless, without it being tiresome. More importantly the comedy is actually clever, even during some of the scenarios the are more stupid due to some absurdity. The combination of the comedic duo and the intelligent humor work flawlessly, making the flick all the more entertaining. As great as the two leads are with their comedic timing, I need to especially mention Ice Cube. I won't spoil anything of course, but there are points in this movie where Ice Cube actually steals the scenes he is in. I'd pay the full movie ticket price just to see that dynamic between Ice Cube and the two leads. It is that good.

I do recognize there are some faults with 22 Jump Street. It did stick with the philosophy of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." In that sense, the general story plot is pretty much the same as the original movie. 22 Jump Street is self-aware of what it is, and pokes fun of itself for being a sequel that follows the formula. However, addressing this fault in that comedic way will not be enough for everyone to forgive it. Still, I think this is something that you can easily look past because of how enjoyable the movie is.

The one purpose of a comedy is to make you laugh, and 22 Jump Street fulfills that requirement consistently throughout the movie. By throughout the movie, I mean even during the credits. Your cheeks will have a good exercise, because mine were in pain with all the laughing. It is well worth your time and money, so don't miss out on this one. If they keep this up I will be there even at 1022 Jump Street.

Check out more on my movie review blog The Stub Collector: http://thestubcollector.wordpress.com/

Better than the first though that isn't saying much

Author: Truckhitterfilms from United States
24 June 2014

I swear, sometimes I'm too optimistic. Even though "21 Jump Street" is one of my least favorite movies and one of the worst movies I've ever seen, I felt obligated to see "22 Jump Street" and went through with it because I thought this time around they may of had something. While "22 Jump Street" is better than "21 Jump Street", though that isn't hard for any movie to do, it still suffers from the same problems as the first and has some elements to it that even surpasses "21 Jump Street" in awfulness.

Starting off with Schmidt (Jonah Hill) and Jenko (Channing Tatum) once again screwing up a police mission, they somehow get to keep their jobs and are just put back onto Jump Street, now moved across the street in a different abandoned church. Schmidt and Jenko are given the relatively same assignment as they had in the last film except this time they're going to college because they look too old for high school, which raises the question why they're working for a police group that goes undercover as students when everyone can see that they aren't students.

"22 Jump Street" does a lot of the same stuff that its predecessor did, especially the use of self-awareness as a mode of self-preservation. Just because a movie is unneeded and pointless but is aware of it does not make it any less unneeded and pointless. A movie like "Scream" is self-aware, but it uses that self-awareness to try and make it stand out while "22 Jump Street" makes light of the fact that they're doing the whole thing over again without adding anything new to it. It's fine if a movie is self-aware, but "22 Jump Street" does not use it to its full advantage and just uses it as a tool so people can't criticize the movie because it's self-aware.

Once again, Schmidt and Jenko share zero chemistry together, despite the fact they helped each other through the police academy, went through the high school mission together and supposedly came out stronger, and now have been partners for a while. Not only do these two not show any chemistry, their relationship is easily showed up by Jenko's friendship with Zook (Wyatt Russell). I do not remember a single memorable moment between Schmidt and Jenko alone.

This time around, Jenko is the one having fun and getting caught up in the whole school experience while Schmidt is the outcast who we're supposed to feel sorry for. Unfortunately, this backfires as Jenko makes attempts to keep their duo together and Schmidt just can't keep up while at the same time Jenko is trying to move on and Schmidt is holding him back. Why am I supposed to want these two to be partners when it's so evident one is holding the other back and they share zero chemistry?

To the movie's credit, there were three mildly amusing parts to it. One of which involves Captain Dickson (Ice Cube) finding out that Schmidt and his daughter (Amber Stevens) hooked up, Jenko finding out and then running around telling everyone at Jump Street what happened, and the first part of the ending credits with Schmidt and Jenko in med school. Aside from those three parts, the movie is made up of the same desperate attempts at comedy that the first film had.

With the same problems as the first film but with three mildly amusing comedy scenes, "22 Jump Street" is better than "21 Jump Street" in the most superficial terms, but better nonetheless. Though, when you're a sequel to "21 Jump Street", expectations are on the ground so there is no way to go but up.

An insult to IMDb for this to be rated any higher than 7

Author: GamingPlays from Inverness, Scotland
30 June 2014

I mean seriously. This used to be a respected site that gave people who didn't know much films insight into the greatest films and audience ratings for every film they've ever watched. 8.0. Dammit IMDb users.

This film is categorized as comedy, so I pessimistically expected a few laughs. I got 4. Two were for slapstick comedy, one was at Ice Cube's death stare, and the final laugh I had was at the end credits (Not because they were funny, but because the entire audience was utterly silent at the forced humour). I wasn't alone, in the theatre it was mostly silent, as we googled the bloody IMDb page to check if it was a comedy. Small British audience I'll give you that, and pretty strange considering how 'everyone' (Americans) laughed their ass of at this movie. The opening sequence chase had me in awe of how bad it was.

Before you type an angry reply saying "You just don't get the humour" or "It doesn't suit everybody". I understand. This is just my view, it may not be right, I may get proved wrong, but here is my case and the overwhelming evidence to prove why. The repetitive cinematography, the forced homoerotic jokes (as if the movie sends out a strong message on the subject), the pop-culture based soundtrack choices and the 'making fun of ourselves' tries so hard to be clever it ruins the movie. Although these factors ruin the movie like a crooked candle ruins a pound-land birthday cake.

I feel like I can envisage Jonah Hill and Michael Bacall (One of the screenplay writers) sitting down and saying stupid ideas and Jonah going "Hah! That would be so funny!" after every one. I like Jonah, he is a good actor, and Channing is trying so hard to impress I can't fault him for what his character is tasked to do.

But here it comes, the problem that made me cringe, the audience look at each other and say "Oh god", the one person in my theatre walk out (probably the reason), The Dialogue.

Oh my goodness. How did this film make it past the producing companies with this damn dialogue. The film tries to make itself clever, it does little references that try and make it a film that is funny, but still smart. Like that budget gag, or the "Gringo Pendejos". The prodigious awkwardness between Jonah (I'm not going to say the character names due to the fact I lost 8 quid on this movie) and the bland bland bland spouse of his (we get it, Jonah's character isn't as good with girls as Channing, but due to his doughy lovable personality, he gets the girl! Wow!), had me contemplating walking out. The other girl, Jillain Bell brought a lot more, but not enough to make any noticeable difference. Channing Tatum's 'bro' language with his 'buddy', was just horrific. It was a train wreck. Something I imagine Americans found funny. Like the whole "American college is a non-stop drug fuelled orgy" theme that it embraced shamelessly. Oh, and the token drug trip that had such potential, but it was just terrific...ly painful to watch.

This movie says in full view, "It's the same as before! Oh wait, it isn't! Hah!", and I wouldn't mind. That's right. I would not care. It's another film of the Project X genre, of America high-fiving itself. But it's just another right? Well that's what I thought, but then I see so many people saying how damn amazing it is, I saw a thread (highly sophisticated reviewing and analysing may I add) that went like this,

"They (*Probably the two main characters who are liked so much people can't see them do wrong) were awesome! *spoiler* when I saw seth rogen I DIED! and when Jonah Hill was acting like nothing changed! lol! "

Seeing Seth Rogen isn't funny. I like his movies, but he didn't do anything funny. It's immature humour that is carelessly littered and licked up by Americans (sorry for repeating myself, but who else could like this so much to give it an 8.0?)

If someone thinks differently, please give me your best shot. Because it is an insult to rate this film so highly if I am really seeing it as it is. Did I miss the humour? Was Jonah Hill doing a Mexican accent funny? Was Channing Tatum dancing to a song of "ass and titties" funny? It wasn't. I see why it appeals to a certain 'type' of audience member, but I thought that's why IMDb is here? To direct us away from these peoples opinions.

Enlighten me, because my oh my am I reviewing using IMDb at all if this piece of garbage is rated 0.3 off '2001 A Space Odyssey". Some people will find this funny, some will not, but I hope I have persuaded you that it is not a great film.

Good exercise for your cheeks

Author: Niki Cutts from United States
29 July 2014

First of all, big complements to the protagonists. The chemistry between Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum is incredible. As soon as their on screen you immediately start smiling, just because you feel the need to prepare yourself for something amusing. The jokes are fast paced and relentless, without it being tiresome. More importantly the comedy is actually clever, even during some of the scenarios the are more stupid due to some absurdity.

22 Jump Street is self-aware of what it is, and pokes fun of itself for being a sequel that follows the formula. However, addressing this fault in that comedic way will not be enough for everyone to forgive it. At the other hand, I think this is something that you can easily look past because of how enjoyable the movie is. The requirement of a comedy is to make you laugh, and 22 Jump Street fulfills it totally. Your cheeks will definitely have a good exercise! ;)

Page 1 of 17:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]