IMDb > Contracted (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

It deserves better.

Author: Flow from Romania
2 December 2013

Contracted: harsh reviews so far, therefore I'll be the first to change the pace a little.

I've watched horror ever since I can remember, love it, all types, slashers, zombies, ghosts and so on. I graded this one with a 6, maybe a little more than I should, but it definitely has to be over 5, and I'll give you the reasons: 1) the plot was pretty OK, more complex than you see at others 2) characters were divert, one of that, one of this, pretty much natural people 3) dialogue: seems dumb sometimes, might be OK if you consider the nature of the situation each time 4) the ending: did not see that one coming, I for one thought it was heading to a different conclusion.

I actually was drawn into it, I will not criticize the fact that it didn't rely on gore, blood or nudity, always loved diversity. So, to this strange little movie, that shows how a girl can change over the days, I say: bravo! It was not great, but it does move you slowly to the edge of the seat.

Contracted: worth a shot!

Cheers!

Gives low-budget horror a bad name.

Author: peepershole
18 October 2013

As a big horror fan, particularly the body horror subgenre, I was excited to see this movie at Chicago International Film Festival. Unfortunately, it's so utterly, astonishingly preposterous that enjoyment was impossible. "The Toxic Avenger" is more plausible and well-reasoned than this.

The main character almost immediately suffers a horrible symptom that would have any sensible woman dialing 911, but she opts to work a shift at a restaurant instead. I'll grant the filmmakers that maybe her disease is dialing up her stupidity, but 30 minutes in, her outward appearance is horrifying - the makeup effects are the sole redeeming element - and none of the other characters seem to notice, despite the fact that these same characters made a point to tell her how horrible she looked 10 minutes earlier, when she had no outwardly visible symptoms. Then again, a trip to the ER, rather than to a doctor whose STD exam doesn't require the patient to remove her jeans, would have ended the movie 15 minutes in.

Worst of all, the director is too cowardly to really go for the gross- out, other than the opening shot and one well-executed shot near the midpoint. Every other opportunity to make the movie truly horrifying is fumbled. For example, the medical exam could've been a terrifying "Dead Ringers"-esque nightmare, but instead it was just stultifying nonsense.

I would like to say that it's so bad it's good, but it is most decidedly not. The ability to elicit laughter might have made it passable, but instead it only elicits groans. I'm happy that the filmmakers were able to sell this dreck to some apparently rohypnol-addled exec at IFC, but they've already been paid. There's no reason to feel obligated to spend money on this mess. It'll be streaming soon enough. Skip it, unless you want to spend an evening going, "Seriously?!?" and "Really?!?" for 85 minutes. If it's low-budget gynecological horror you want, rent "Teeth" instead. It's disgusting AND clever.

Don't bother. Mild spoilers within.

Author: roflmeao from Australia
16 March 2014

I'd like to write a detailed review but this movie is really not worth the effort. The characters are, without exception, unsympathetic and most are stupid to the point that they'd probably have to be reminded to breathe. i.e. a doctor diagnosing an obvious blood infection as a rash and prescribing a moisturising cream whilst completely ignoring hemorrhaging, a bloke shagging someone who looks like a corpse. I could go on but I'm making myself sad...

The plot, such as it is, has no real beginning, no suspense, no development, no climax, no finale. The progression of the disease is fairly well implemented but done to a character that after about 5 minutes in, I hated and wanted to die.

As a horror fan, I'm used to watching a lot of crap to get the rare gem. I'm not above polishing a turd to get some enjoyment out of a lemon. I'm not even above mixing my metaphors. This movie is a steaming pile. I watched it so you don't have to.

You're welcome. :)

Rated 4/10 for the special effects only.

Horrible!

Author: petarmatic from Sarajevo B&H
27 February 2014

The only reason I gave this film 2 stars instead 1 is that main actress tried very hard, bless her. Poor thing was trying to make something out of this film which was, mildly put just horrible.

Plot, was there one? What was happening to her, they never explained. Plot is not existent.

Acting is poor, except notable exception of the main actress.

All together very poor film, if I were you I would avoid it.

I really do not know what else to add about this film, since it was not worth the time.

Bad!

Belongs among the worst

Author: cppguy from United States
27 March 2014

I can actually think of worse movies, so I won't give this 1 star. Others have covered the movie as a whole, so I'll center on something specific.

The main character *finally* sees a doctor despite her symptoms that should have sent her to the emergency room day 1. I have to conclude from the scene with the doctor that the script writers have never once in their lives been to a doctor. The doctor she visits confines his examination to peek in her ears and a glance at the gangrenous rot at her crotch and then suggests moisturizer. Moisturizer? SRSLY?! I once had a milder rash in the nether regions and that got me a direct diagnosis and a prescription.

I can hear the script writers now: "If we had a doctor actually *be* a doctor, then she would have gone to a hospital, been treated and we wouldn't have the movie we made." That's right, you morons: it's called a "plot hole!" You write something else. Perhaps instead the doctor could have misdiagnosed or the hospital could have been the incubation point for spreading the contraction to others, but, no, the doctor became the yenta next-door saying "oy! just rub a little lotion on your bleeding crotch-rot and you'll be OK." Now transfer this stupidity to the actions of all the rest of the characters in the movie and you've got a good idea of what you're getting into... or avoiding.

Suspending disbelief has never been more difficult

Author: staples007 from United States
28 March 2014

I watched 'Contracted' with very little introduction or knowledge of its premise. It simply peaked my interest on Netflix's streaming library of new movies, so I decided to give it a go. During the expositional scenes, the production quality and acting seemed to reach solid standards, leading me to believe this could be a relatively well-made film. After watching this 90-minute TV movie all the way through, I can safely say the dialogue and character development in this film is some of the most unrealistic writing I've ever had the misfortune of hearing/seeing.

Let me start by stating that throughout the entirety of the film, you will HATE every single character you come across. Each one is to some degree an embodiment of narcissism, spite, naivety, and idiocy. The main character, who "contracts" a progressively worsening virus from a stranger, is a young woman I wanted to see die within the storyline almost immediately. When the leading lady in your film is a mean lesbian-dabbling assh*le of a person, you've got a problem. Nothing about her personality is something any of us would happily relate to. She's crappy at maintaining her sobriety, she is consistently at odds with her equally intolerable mother, friends, and girlfriend, and she's simply delusional.

Without giving away too much, let me just say that the person who wrote this story has crafted a world in which every human being you run into is a complete moron without a shred of common sense. As this woman's physical appearance begins to reach the condition depicted on the movie's poster, not a single person showed the concern that a normal person would. When someone appears to be rotting from the inside, her boss is not going to demand that she come into work anyway, and the girl who happens to be walking in a bag of their own deteriorating flesh and skin is not going to put her priority on working overtime. Even the doctor she went to for help looked right at her bloody eyes and gave a confused diagnosis, while just advising her to quarantine herself for the time being. Her condition warranted an immediate visit to the ER, not a free clinic checkup, as any person with average intelligence could see. Not once, but TWICE, this main character convinces two other characters to kiss her on her disgustingly black-molding and clearly infected lips. How dumb are the people who made this movie? Every character has been specially crafted to lack any resemblance to a sensible real-life person.

I understand that suspending disbelief is vital for enjoying the horror genre, but I could not do that with regard to the atrocious character development on display in this film. I highly recommend avoiding 'Contracted' like the cinematic plague that it is.

A lot of wasted potentials

Author: pinkpink_1217 from Hong Kong
6 April 2015

Having read tons and tons of very negative reviews on this movie, I prepared myself, as well we warned my dad who was going to watch it with me, that we probably should not expect something great from it. As it turned out, I was right. This movie isn't great; it was ALMOST great.

The first half of the movie is quite fast paced. The movie cuts straight into the core of the events and both my usually impatient dad and I were quickly drawn to the story line. The plots are very predictable, as the main character, Samantha has one night stand with a mysterious and suspicious man, and afterward finds herself starting to have unexplainable physical changes that keep getting worse and worse.

A lot of people may be annoyed by the way Samantha reacts to her terrible body changes and think that it just "doesn't make sense". That is exactly what my dad kept saying during the whole movie: "how can she let it be?" "why doesn't she go to the hospital?" "a normal person wouldn't even ignore that!". While I understand why people make similar remarks, I totally disagree with them.

What is most enjoyable about this movie is that we are seeing a girl being totally powerless and desperate as she faces the changes of her body. As the story develops and her situation gets worse, we can see that Samantha is partly in denial of what is happening to her, partly trying to play normal, partly being obviously lost and scared, and partly desperate to solve the "problems". To me, the horror that this movie tries to deliver, is not through any gore or violence, but through the desperation of the main character. And I think the movie has done a pretty damn good job in portraying that.

However the ending of the movie is absurd and feels incomplete. A lot of things were left unexplained, and both my dad and I felt like what could have turned out to be the most interesting part of the movie was somehow missed. All in all, this movie really just isn't excellent, but it isn't totally tasteless or as bad as deserving such a low rating. The movie starts out strong but it keeps going down until it hits the bottom at the end. Despite all the flaws it has, dad and I had a lot of fun watching this movie together. With some more thorough development and imagination, this movie could have been GREAT.

Poor, poor, poor Najarra Townsend

Author: Paul Evans from Swansea, United Kingdom
11 October 2015

I can understand why there are so many poor reviews for this film, but I'm giving it a 5 purely and simply for the effort and hard work that Najarra Townsend clearly put into this movie. She actually put in a good shift as Samantha, putting lots of energy and emotion into her part, the talent ultimately outweighed the script.

In brief, Samantha is at the party of her friend Alice. Let down by her absent girlfriend she hits the drink hard. An anonymous man BJ gives her a spiked drink, and ends up making out in his car with her. The next morning Sam wakes up pale, with flu like symptoms and cramps. The following day she's passed a lot of blood, has developed a rash, and her shift at work is disturbed by loud noises in her inner ear. By now she's worried enough to visit her Doctor, who brilliantly diagnoses 'head cold and rash (glad he's not mine,) by the third day she's fully deteriorated, blood shot eyes, lost hair etc, poor girl is a mess. Things go on to get even worse as she lashes out on those trying to help her.

Now I'm a bit on the squeamish side, and a movie like this isn't particularly up my alley, but I braved it out, if you've got a weak stomach ignore, as some of it's a bit nasty, it does however reach a point where all reality is lost, she got so bad at one stage it became easier to watch. Poor girl had a rather useless mum, a dreadful girlfriend, who managed to be from Australia, South Africa, The USA and somewhere near Scunthorpe all with her multiple accents. As for her GP, bless him he must have trained at Hogwarts.

The soundtrack was a little irritating for the first 10 minutes, it was a little dated.

Surprisingly well acted I thought, the moral is never have a one night stand with a man with a fuzzy face :-) 5/10 (come on she deserves that for at least trying.)

Heres the plot for this poor movie

Author: sexplstols from United States
13 March 2014

OK a lot of people are wondering what the plot is, well that is simple but I agree with all the other comments regarding how poor the movie & the acting is & how dumb the characters are etc. It is just something that would not happen in the real life. The start of 1 of those symptoms would prompt a person to see a doctor but as it progresses a person would go straight to the ER.

So the plot.... well at the start of the movie you see the morgue, a guy having sex with a dead female body then keeping his sperm in a test tube (for whatever reason). This guy catches a virus from shagging a dead body & he is that same guy at the party, there are enough clues to point to this.

Not a good movie, could have been a lot better.

Waste of time

Author: stompystomper from Newtown, Sydney, Australia
4 January 2014

Avoid.

I read a promising review which inspired me to seek out this film.

I was disappointed with the script, the acting, make up and directing. The cinematography was the only redeeming quality.

The lead character Samantha was a self centred bitch who I actually hoped would die in the first five minutes. So to sit through an 84 minute movie, witnessing her narcissistic whining was excruciating. Her Mother, (played by an always welcome to see Caroline Williams) cared for her well being, as well as various friends, workmates and her Doctor, but at no time did she ever listen to any of them, instead pining for her irritating, uninterested girlfriend.

It seems the film makers aspired to make a gross out, body horror flick, which plays on the dangers of unsafe sex, but all they really ended up with was a monotonous mess which I am sorry I ever read the review on.

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]