IMDb > "Garfunkel and Oates" (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Garfunkel and Oates" More at IMDbPro »

Entertaining, insightful, and funny

Author: drunkespeare from Chapel Hill, North Carolina
22 August 2014

I'm writing mine, I'm surprised there are only two IMDb reviews of Garfunkel and Oates, and both those reviews are by people who either didn't pay much attention to the single episode they watched or they think "to critique" a show means "to criticize" it. It certainly is OK to criticize a show, if you watched it with an open mind, and actually watched more than one episode.

For one thing, how could anybody have actually watched more than one episode and think, "most of the jokes revolve around them being 'super bad at sex.'" Doesn't matter what a joke is about. What matters is it being funny. Riki and Kate are funny. Even in the pilot episode, there was a lot more going on than a single subject joke. Garfunkel and Oates is humorous fictionalized personal anecdotes and social satire. Those reviewers who didn't understand the pilot episode wouldn't understand any of the others, so it's a good thing for them they've stopped watching.

Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci are not yet on the level of Marc Maron, Louis CK, or Amy Schumer, but they're getting there. Instead of stand-up before, after, or during their half hour skits, Riki and Kate use song parodies. The songs are short and humorous and always have something to do with the theme of the episode.

"As for the ukulele." OK, where are all those other ukuleles I've read complaints about? I watch a lot of TV and I've never seen any recurring character playing a ukulele except Kate Micucci as Shelley in Raising Hope. Actually, I've never seen many characters in recurring roles play any type of musical instrument.

Garfunkel and Oates is a lot better than the nitpicking contrarians will have you believe. Give it a chance. Entertaining, insightful, and funny. You might even learn to appreciate the ukulele, or maybe even get one of your own. You might not like Garfunkel and Oates, but those negative reviewers are grossly misrepresenting that show.

Love it

Author: Sarah Neufeld from United States
19 September 2014

It took me a minute, but I totally love it. By the time I got to 'Speechless' I was hooked. I can't wait for more episodes. It's not going to be for everyone, but I'm all about it. The stories are clever and funny. That's really all I need in a TV show. The music is funny although, musical comedy is not my favorite. I like that they talk about stuff that's not typical "girl" comedy. They poke fun at themselves more than others, which is awesome. Its great to be able to laugh at other people's perceived short comings along with them. The show isn't mean when it does make fun of others because it's what we're all thinking or at the least, they make fun of themselves at the same time.

exceptionally funny and entertaining

Author: e-oosterhout5 from Netherlands
21 September 2014

of course, everybody is entitled to his or hers own opinion about what they consider to be funny. But don't forget that this is very personal. So it's unfair to judge these girls with "1" star because you do not share their (and many others) ideas on what is humor. To me they are exceptionally funny and original. The chosen topics are highly original and the dialogues are hilarious. The songs are fantastic, not only regarding the chosen topics. The lyrics are great, funny and written with great "sense of language" (is this correct English? I'm from the Netherlands so my English is not that great). These two girls bring us a completely new approach on TV comedy.

In short, they are great!

A Funny, Sometimes Dirty Reality Comedy

Author: hfan77 from St. Louis Park, MN
21 September 2014

If you're a fan of The Big Bang Theory, then you probably heard of Riki Lindhome and Kate Micucci, who have played guest roles on the show. Micucci played Raj's girlfriend Lucy in a number of episodes.

But if you haven't heard of Garfunkel and Oates, the group that consists of Lindhome and Micucci, then the IFC show is your introduction to the funny female folk duo.

I have seen every episode so far, and to me their songs are funny and sometime dirty. I also like the avant-garde style videos that appear in each episode. It adds a lot to the comedy.

Even though IFC ordered only eight episodes, it's a show that deserves to be back for a longer run next season. It's a show that would also work on HBO since there are no restrictions on language. Give the show a chance, you'll see two outstanding and funny female comedy singers.

Keep Making This Show...More Please!

Author: Poupetpanz from United States
30 January 2015

This show is really done well. Great comedy, music, chemistry between these two. Look forward to season two. The show continued to get better each episode and it really stands up in reruns still managing to be fresh after a few viewings. Great pairing with Portlandia because both shows you want to keep watching to see what will happen next. The best parts of this show are the off the wall situations they manage to squeeze so many subtle laughs from.

If you watch regular sitcoms you get bored with same old formulaic sketches that have been repeated ad nausea since Lucy. But Garfunkel and Oates has surprises in their stories and dialog that keep each episode fresh and worth repeat viewings. I hope they can make more episodes and keep the originality flame alive (difficult task) but worth watching none of the less.

I we telling everyone I know to watch this show! My new favorite!

Author: ryderkate-68782 from US
29 March 2015

This was one of the funniest shows my husband and I have watched in a while. The jokes were so clever. There was humor in almost every line. If some people did not catch the humor they are probably not smart enough to get it.

I hope some other network picks up this show. This is a show I would watch when I want some guaranteed laughs.

Again, I loved this show and I hope there is a network that is smart enough to see these girls are great!

My husband and I have been married for 20 years and we both found laugh out loud humor in every episode. I would love to see more!

A musical comedy for relaxed viewing...

Author: Dr_Sagan from the Edge of the Cosmos
28 November 2014

This new comedy has a lot more preparation and work than you might think at first.

Except the scenes where actress–songwriters Kate Micucci (Oates) and Riki Lindhome (Garfunkel) talk to each other, delivering some quirky and funny dialogs, the show includes some unique musical cuts that have an almost surrealist feel! These musical interruptions (sang by the duo) are related to each episode's plot but presented in a unique way, that may include animations or even ...muppets! They are carefully designed and you might even get 2 or 3 in each episode.

Because Garfunkel and Oates are 2 single, liberal young women, relationship and sex themes are inevitable, but think of it more like a lighthearted, easy going, relaxing comedy with music and songs.

Also they spared us from any annoying fake laugh track.

Overall: Check it out and decide.

Don't judge a book by its cover

Author: Dalton Newton from United States
16 April 2015

So the funny thing about me liking this show is that i'm a guy 0_0... it is just full of everyday issues that the two face and its actually very funny and i have to wonder if some of the situations are based on real life events... or all of them. i don't think I've ever seen two people have this close of a bond (it shows so very deeply and i like that). Now the acting..... isn't bad either! i'm serious when i say that its well written and the two just portray these awkward, emotional, and embarrassing moments very well. I had seen their youtube stuff which led me to wonder if they could write a TV show just as funny as their songs and believe it or not... yes, very much so. I gave it 9 stars because its not everyday you catch a glimpse of something different. I hope they keep moving forward.

quietly, an amazingly funny show

Author: kelsi from United States
13 April 2015

I stumbled across this in Netflix, and it is my favorite find, so far. I was a fan of the duo from 'Pregnant Women are Smug' and similarly funny youTube videos, but this show exceeded all expectations. Especially the second half of the season, where each episode seems to start with a ridiculous premise, and hilarity reliably ensues.

Each episode is dense with jokes and charm, I'm only sorry that there aren't more episodes. The plots are light-hearted, but every thread seems to pay off by the end of each episode. Both characters are well-developed an their friendship is endearing. I especially love the Natasha Leggero and other great cameo appearances. I hope this show can return again soon!

I blew through this on Netflix before I knew it was only one short season

Author: scarletminded from San Diego, CA
1 April 2015

Not sure why this was only one season. It is brilliant and a lot more funny than other shows out there. It has satire and depth. I really like the intelligence of their songs. I have watched them on You Tube way back. I was hoping some of the songs would get another video like "Douche" but you cannot have everything. I am not sure why shows like The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men stay on the air forever, yet real insightful comedy gets pushed to the side, every time. I liked Oates on Scrubs too. Ditto Raising Hope, another super funny show that was canceled before its time. My favorite song of this duo are "Pregnant Women Are Smug", "Sports Theme", and "Loser", though I am unsure if the last one is supposed to be happy or sad. I like those "Douche" and "Bland- job" songs too. I was so happy they got a proper cable show and so sad they did not get to keep it more than one season. But what a season. I will have to watch them again.