IMDb > Satyagraha (2013/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Satyagraha

Satyagraha More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Take your favourite game with you because this film doesn't attempt to involve you at all - flat, linear pace, lacks story

Author: ale-xpressed1 from London, England
1 September 2013

The trailers of Satyagraha promised a lot but delivers absolutely nothing. The film runs at a linear pace with limited content and not even trying to keep you involved. It fails to capture the attention of the audience and fails miserably at delivering its high drama political story. Characters are weak and ill defined except for Manoj Bajpai who is good as always. Kareena was not needed in the film at all. You don't want to mix glamour and romance if you're attempting a political drama but Prakash Jha couldn't resist the Bollywoodisation. There is no chemistry between Kareena and Ajay Dewgun and the most romantic/intimate scenes of the film are actually it's most funny scenes resulting in loud laughters in the hall. Essentially, you've a man or two fighting for democratic rights but are both extremely autocratic and don't even try to keep you involved in this films which has no story. Still better than Chennai Express - there is nothing much on so you may want to go and watch it.; Make sure you've Candy Crush Saga on your phone as you will need it. My rating 3/10.

Fiction Is Stronger Than Reality. ♦ 60%

Author: Tejas Nair from Mumbai, India
31 August 2013

The theme mirrors the current political state in India. But the plot has been seen in many Bollywood political thrillers were everything is predictable. Satyagaraha is no different.

Talking about the revolution by the people of a district against the corrupt government, Prakash Jha has tried to do what he does best: RESEARCH & SHOW! The first half is brutally original & I appreciate that. But come second half, and your enthusiasm will see a drastic decline due to the usual, "borrowed" elements from his previous films and/or other potboilers. Yes, it does tell a tale worth watching with average dialogs, simple setup, but the punch-power withdraws as the 150- minute screenplay advances to ultimate predictability.

Cast performance is very good & I don't need to mention who did well. Of course, the antagonists. Now, come on! But the protagonists have done well, too. Score is below average, editing is fine & the whole setup - gives a natural appeal. Mostly, towards the end it again takes an authentic turn when they show how the repercussions of a people's revolution can turn out to be. Laudable!

And, there was no need for that item song and romance! But, welcome to Bollywood!

BOTTOM LINE: Fresh writing garnished by stale ingredients, that is what Satyagraha is. It manages to convey a message, but we all know, reality can never be manipulative as fiction. 6.0 out of 10! Youth can go have a look!

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? YES

Profanity/Nudity/Sex: No | Mouth-Kiss: very Mild | Violence/Gore: Critical | Smoking/Alcohol/Drugs: No

Good Story but not hard hitting

Author: SivakumarBalachandran from India
31 August 2013

This time I would like to keep my review short. "Satyagraha" as the name depicts Insistence on the truth and non violence against corruption and current Indian political system. It is said as a work of fiction but even a small kid can say the story is closely resembles Anna's (played by Big B) movement and his deputy Arvind Kejriwal (played by Ajay Devagan). The movie definitely dwells bollywood-ism at times like item song at start and an irrelevant romantic song. But we can watch it for the solid performances of Big B and Manoj Bajpai. Definitely not hard hitting as Madras cafe but has got some good message about public awakening.

-Reviewed by Sivakumar Balachandran

(bsiva84@gmail.com)

Satyagraha – the lesser truth

Author: Swapnilagarwal from India
1 September 2013

After the super successful political thriller 'Raajneeti', when Prakash Jha gave a confused 'Aarakshan', all were curious to know as to which side will his latest camel 'Satyagraha' sit. Sadly, the movie goes the latter way, though most of the ensemble and genre resemble the former one. Let's delve straight into its facets:

• Plot: The movie draws its name from Gandhian way of dissent which was used recently by Anna Hazare and gang. Yes, it does talk about Gandhian principals and tries its best to showcase the most contemporary topic 'corruption', yet fails to serve the message quite well. The basic problem is- treatment. Unlike the crisp 'Raajneeti', sluggish 'Satyagraha' keeps meandering throughout, trying to match Anna movement, literally. In the process, everything appears fake and characters look mere reel caricatures of the real. It attempts to take you through micro nuances of our rotten politico-administrative system, which finally lead to a macro movement. The intent is commendable; however, it's the content and presentation which falter. Realism gets lost in commercialism (lots of brand endorsements there!), larger-than-life portrayal of a ground-level subject and overdose of crowd-protests. Barring a few moments of real business, movie looks more preachy and glossy (facebooked). Climax is a big let-down out of its abruptness and fictional treatment.

• Casting: The ensemble of big names does not disappoint you when it comes to performance. Big B is a master at his work and exudes both strength and fragility with equal ease. It was good to see Ajay back to some serious stuff after his Himmatwala/ SoS phase, though he is unable to match his Gangajal feat. Kareena looks beautiful in the street-smart character. Hunk Arjun oozes ample masculinity while Amrita Rao is mostly on MMS mode. It's basically Manoj Bajpai who is the biggest saving grace with his comical villain-giri. Though his character is a shadow of Virendra Pratap of 'Rajneeti', he carries off this one too equally well.

• Music: In my previous reviews too, I have mentioned, in movies based on genuine subjects, music should be pushed to background only. 'Satyagraha' loses out here too. Unnecessary songs and persistent rock bands at movement-sthal, all steal authenticity from the flick. 'Janta rocks' makes you wonder whether you are watching a 'Rock on' while Adesh Srivastava fails to repeat a 'Mora piya' with 'Ras ke bhare'. Only 'Raghupati Raghav' manages to touch you both through the remixed music and meaningful lyrics. In all, music only interrupts the already snail- paced movie.

To conclude, 'Satyagraha' does no justice to its name, star-cast and the noble message it intended to deliver. I really hope some other film-maker to grab the burning subject and present to us something more authentic, moving and engrossing. This one is certainly not the one expected from a Prakash Jha!

More of a Political Commentary on Anna's movement

Author: jain35-1 from Pune, India
10 September 2013

Director (Prakash Jha) seems to be confusingly treading the path between fiction and non-fiction but achieves neither.

Nevertheless , those who want a 2 hour interpretation of Anna's movement and had not followed it , may find it useful , treating the movie as non-fiction Historic Drama .

Out of all the characters, Manoj Bajpai's (Balram Singh) is the best executed. Kareena's character (Yasmin Ahmed) is frivolous. A more in-depth analysis was expected for Amitabh's (Anna) and Ajay's (Arvind) character.

The script needed to convey more than what met the eye through traditional media but it is just a 2 hours summary of TV reporting of last 2-3 years. In comparison, Madras Cafe, brings out a lot more than what was in Public domain earlier .

The script also lacks a proper climax and logical end .

But in spite of short comings , I would still rate it high as Movie does convey a message convincingly and logically and does have a Moral of the Story. It holds a mirror to the Voters of India , many of whom are still not convinced that corruption is a major issue in the country.

Somewhat realistic view of Satyagraha and teaching us how a Revolution can turn to Terrorism or Civil War , And how to stop it from turning into one.

Author: Sidharth Sood from Ludhiana
31 August 2013

Best movie I have seen gives a somewhat realistic view of Anna type Satyagraha , And TELLING US how a Revolution can turn to Terrorism or Civil War , And how to stop it from turning into one. It is a Tribute to Gandhi Ji and Anna Ji. And helps us understand mistakes that Anna and Team Anna Must have make like how government made Anna have food and stop the biggest revolution i have ever seen in my life time by false promises. It teaches how a revolution with non violence should work and what type of mistakes should be avoided. For me it is 5 out of 5 . And Best of Prakash Jha till date . According to me people should and watch this movie (And learn) and not to go by reviews

Must Join this Revolution

Author: VikasBansal from India
31 August 2013

Prakash Jha is back with another social subject oriented movies, this time he focuses on Corruption and dirty politics of current system. The movie begins with very small issue which becomes the starting point of revolution and slowly and steadily revolution gains pace and momentum. First half of the movie is very slow and predictable but as movie enters second, it energies the audience with every scene showing the true character of current government towards public's welfare. Packed with intense dialogues and brilliant capture of rural locations of country, Jha was able to bring down the truth on silver screen. Movie has lots of flaws. Love story between Ajay and Kareena seemed totally out of the way as per movie's subject and story. Music is also not up to the mark except for just one song. "Raghu Pati Raja Ram" song keeps audience engaged with its excellent lyrics. Whole Star cast did full justice to their roles, Specially BIG B, he was simply brilliant. Ajay as usual good with intense roles and Manoj good with his negative image. Overall brilliant effort by Jha to bring this corruption problem on silver screen from which whole nation is suffering from past so many years. He tried his best to show the root causes of this dirty politics. Overall everyone must join this revolution to contribute against corruption. My verdict to this is 3/5 Stars.!!!!

MY REVIEW: The Truth Is Still Not Out!!

Author: Sandeep Gupta from Jaipur, India
31 August 2013

May be Parakash Jha thought picking a sensitive subject like anti-corruption movement, signing few great actors, making them speechifying their dialogs, put some usual masala will be good enough to steer the audience in theaters. He did not realize, it would require a tense and dark atmosphere and well synchronized story telling to make the kind of impact that audience were expecting when they enter into the theaters on first day itself. Movie delves into too many issues and ends up finding no solution for anything. Obviously many scenes touch but disappointing thing is those scenes were having potential to tear you apart and it was never tried. The movie remains a dramatic presentation of Anna Hazaare Jan Lokpal Movement. Manoj Bajpayee is outstanding. Amitabh does not miss a beat. Ajay Devgn seems committed but not in top form. Amrita Rao is average. Kareena Kapoor is being wasted. Why she has to look best of herself in every scene? Romance between her and Ajay Devgn is forced and out of the context. I did expect some volcanic emotional eruptions and ended up lighting few more candles.

Satyagraha : A movie you should not miss.

Author: rhl-sachan from India
1 September 2013

The best thing in the movie was to bring it very close to real life experiences. You will easily find yourself familiar with the movement against corruption which is the base of the movie. In a scene Ajay explains how we can use strategic experience to solve problems of ground level easily. Also when the war breaks out between crowd and police forces, you can see what in reality happens behind our backs at such protests.

Each and every one has done his/her role nicely. Only the character which is played by Kareena (Yasmeen) is not clear but she has done her work nicely. Amitabh Bacchan has delivered another great performance. He never stops and get better with every single films. He has carried his character with so much grace that you can't find words enough to appreciate him.

I advice you not to believe in critics rating. You can't afford to miss such a movies in Bollywood. We get very few of this kind in Bollywood. Don't worry about having romantic masala ingredient. It's just for less than 5 minutes.

For me: Acting 10/10, Script 8/10, Direction 8/10, Songs 9/10, Music 10/10. Overall, its worth a watch for the audience which believes that India needs to get corruption free soon. The theme song Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram will bring out the emotion in you. The music excellent. http://qr.ae/Ij0ys

For me the movie lost track only at two places. First was when projecting Ajay's character as addicted to bad business world and second as expected, Ajay & Kareena's love scene and romantic song. It was not more than 6-7 minutes in total and rest of the movie gelled well with the script, theme and subject.

A vague attempt to exploit a recent national issue, which is again made in Jha's same old set pattern, with no impressive solution for the problem.

Author: bobbysing from India
8 September 2013

If reputed directors like Prakash Jha are only interested in coming up with clever but weak products such as SATYAGRAHA repeatedly, then I am also only willing to a spoof kind of review of the film in the form of a fictional conversation between a producer and a director as below: Producer : Hi Director Saab, These days this 'Anna movement' is in news majorly, so lets make a film on this subject.

Director : Sure, Why not……and I have even started conceiving in my mind right away! Pr : OK, Good then who would you cast as Anna? Dr : Who else, it will be the most respected name of the Industry itself, Shri Amitabh Bachhan….and believe me he will look damn good in the make-up of an old man on fast with extremely tired expressions.

Pr : Great, but what about the script? Dr : Oh, that's easy. We will plan first half, following the hit pattern of RAAJNEETI and then would bring all main characters together at one platform announcing the intermission. In the second half we will strictly follow what happened in the Anna Movement in Delhi, involving both the ruling as well as the opposition parties and then end the film with a roaring climax.

Pr : Good and what can you do about the other cast? Dr : Don't worry about that as I will bring in my Hit ensemble of RAJNEETI again i.e. Ajay, Arjun, Manoj and together they will make a great poster with Amitabh in center.

Pr : Fine, now what about the female cast, it should at least have a glamorous face, a love song, an item song and one Deshbhakti song to go with the mood of the film. Dr : No problems, we can easily rope in Kareena in the role of a beautiful reporter who will be always there with her make-up on and along with that we can take Amrita Rao to play it low as the victim. Plus as desired the three songs will surely be there, which can be placed anywhere before or after the interval looking at the story-flow.

Pr : Haan, In songs do take a soothing classical number from Aadesh and also put in these currently famous social networks too in some sequence like Facebook, Twitter and more. If possible make a new version of "Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram" as it gels well with our national theme. Dr : Yeah, that is really a good idea. Pr : OK, lets add some more fiery incidents and some fine actors too in order to make it more dramatic. Dr : Fine, then we can add a young boy setting himself on fire in front of Anna only (Daadu in film). Many current issues like the costly Power tariffs complaints & more corruptions related ones can be shown too. Regarding fine actors, we can bring in names such as Vipin Sharma and Indraneel Sengupta to play two key characters. But for the item song we do require some sizzling girl dancing in a revealing outfit.

Pr : That I can arrange when we finalise the shooting schedule but do use the song very intelligently as people are nowadays very much interested in criticizing them. Dr : OK, then we will use it while the titles are running on the screen as then it will not be noticed by everyone so firmly. Pr : Aur yeh aajkal Brand Promotion kaafi chal rahi hai. So I will get some Chaawal or other brands too for using in one or two scenes. Dr : No problem. Pr : One more thing Director Saab. Please write few scenes wherein Amitabh is crying silently as who can beat Amitabh in such emotional scenes with tears in his eyes. Dr : That is perfectly true Sir. But towards the end we will also put some murder mystery kind of thing to add some pace.

Pr : Ya sure. But with Anna movement in the second half, how are you planning to end it? Dr : Oh! That is very simple Sirji. As we know that this system is not going to change so easily and there is no immediate solution lying with anyone of us……….! Hence obviously the system will stand still as it is........... and it has to be the character of "Dadu" only who will die in the end, shot by the police through a conspiracy. That's it.

Pr : Haan yeh theek hai and you can show the conspiracy being done by any individual leader on his own. So in this way we will also not disturb any political party too and have a safe path. Dr : Right. But what are your releasing plans for this! Pr : Ammm……We would try to release it at Independence Day in 2013, but if any big movie is around then can shift to late August. But definitely before the elections.

Dr : OK, but honestly Sir, I wish to give a strong message through this film to the whole country about our election system and wrong choice of candidates all over! How you feel about this message? Pr : Message…….What message?? Listen Director Saab, we are film-makers not social reformers. So just use this burning issue for your script and make an entertaining film with lots of conflict between Anna, Police, People and Politicians, that's all. Dr : Got it Sir and I will surely try my best to make a commercially viable film selling this relevant social issue of our country in the name of cinema and who knows we might have another jackpot in our hands like earlier.

(With this, the conversations ends and so does the review of SATYAGRAHA, giving you all the possible hints about the movie itself.)

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]