IMDb > Blood Brother (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Blood Brother More at IMDbPro »

A Must See Film

Author: cassandrakirby3 (cassandrakirby3@gmail.com) from Pittsburgh, PA, USA
22 January 2013

It is excellent film. I believe with all of my heart that it is a must see film. Steve Hoover made this film about his best friend Rocky Braat, because he was impacted and felt this story needed to be told to others. I agree with Steve and I am grateful his was able to tell it. Rocky gave up everything he had here in the states and moved to India, to take care of orphaned children with HIV/Aids. I know Rocky and Steve, they are being totally real. I feel that this is very inspiring and leaves me wondering what could I do to make a difference in someone's life, like Rocky is making. It is about giving unconditional love to others without expecting something in return. It is about the challenges that life can bring and how one might react to those challenges. This story is ongoing and updates are posted to Youtube.

Blood Brother is a Must-See

Author: Kara Snyder-Keane from United States
11 February 2013

Blood Brother is a beautiful and compelling story that takes the audience on an emotionally complex journey with Rocky Braat, Steve Hoover, and HIV positive Indian orphans. What I loved most about this movie is that it demonstrates that true love gives a person the strength to do and endure things far beyond what that person could ever imagine that s/he could do and that even the most ordinary person has the capability of doing and being a part of something extraordinary. One of the most poignant and hardest to watch scene was Rocky at the hospital taking care of the orphan near death. Rocky didn't just sit with the child, he acted as father and nurse staying by the child's side the entire time and cleaning up the oozing sores that covered his body including his eyes. Warning, this movie will leave you changed and will make you want to be a part of something outside of yourself.

Heartbreaking, but ultimately hopeful film about the power of love!

Author: erik macaulay from United States
29 January 2013

This is one of the most incredible/emotional films I've ever seen. As the previous reviewer described, it's about an American who gives up everything to go work at an orphanage for children with HIV in Chennai, India. It's hard to comprehend the vast suffering and abandonment that the children face, and the castigation on top of it over the fear (even well intentioned people have) of catching HIV from them. Yet it's ultimately a hopeful film made possible by the love and compassion of Rocky, and his friends who decided to make a documentary about his life/work. This film is so powerful and worth seeing on so many levels. It's certainly about love and compassion in the face of incredible suffering. And the willingness to look it in the eye and embrace it, literally. But it's also about marriage, family, healing, doubts, feeling overwhelmed, sacrifice, joy, beauty and pizza. Yes, pizza. And perhaps, it's also an opportunity to reflect on and re-frame the struggles and challenges we face in our own lives. Many thanks to Rocky and the film-makers for making the journey-- it's a portal into their world, and ultimately our own!

Best Documentary I've Ever Seen

Author: Scotty from Denver
14 December 2013

I was totally blown away. No excessive writeup is needed. It's powerful, authentic and raw. It's the best documentary I've seen because you just feel like you are right there with them. Just see it.

I must write more because IMDb won't accept my review without 10 lines of review, so you can ignore this part if you want. I wont' put any spoilers in either so you can be blown away by this movie like I was.

Films like this go to the theater and are ignored by the ordinary film goers, but they should not be. We should all see movies like this because it brings hope to our spirits. In this hopeless world, I cannot think of a better way to bring hope than to give your life to HIV orphans in a far off place.

Again I urge all of you - just see this movie.

Explodes with Love, Heart, and Hope

Author: Eric Carr from Tucson, United States
30 January 2013

At the our screening of Blood Brother at the Sundance Film Festival, the filmmakers had to ask the audience to stop our standing ovation. As a host for Sundance Film-Forward and the Human Rights Watch Film Festivals, I've seen hundreds of docs, and Blood Brother is far-and-away the best documentary our group had seen in years, and the best film we saw at Sundance this year - period. The film doesn't just have heart, either, but is full of stunningly beautiful cinematography with scenes that make the filmmakers seem impossibly lucky. The film swells with emotive music, inspired events, unscripted words of incredible wisdom, and moments of raw transparency. In the end, it becomes a film that transcends its genre.

At its core, Blood Brother is a universally appealing film, which I believe is one of the reasons it was such a rousing success at Sundance. It is a buddy film, a hero's journey, a drama, a comedy, and a love story all rolled into one epic documentary that reminds the viewer just how beautiful and valuable even the most tragic of lives can be. After the film, Rocky (the subject of the film) and the film crew hung around to answer questions, and it was clear that the film was an honest and genuine glimpse into the lives of extraordinarily compassionate people who truly live up to the radical kindness expressed in the film. It certainly deserves every accolade it has garnered so far.

Triumph of the Spirit

Author: Sherri L. VandenAkker from United States
21 January 2014

This film moved me deeply. It shows the difficulty, thanklessness, pain, and also ease, gratitude, and joy humanitarian's work. You fall in love with the children, and admire the hero, even though he is presented in altogether human terms.

Well-filmed, beautifully edited, genuine and full of heart -- this film will endure. Although the children in the film are living with a fatal disease, and some die during filming, the film leaves you with hope.

This film will stay with you, and inspire you to make a difference, maybe to take a risk, and to re-examine your priorities--without a moment of preaching.

Friends are the family you choose

Author: wilson trivino from United States
24 March 2013

They say friends are the family they choose and Rocky Braat went all the way to a little village in India to find his "family". His heart and soul came alive as he saw how he could make a difference in a little orphanage that helped children and their mothers with HIV. This movie follows this remarkable tale of self discovery as filmmaker Steve Hoover chronicles the epiphany his best friend and "blood brother" has as he transitions from the big city of Pittsburg to the annals of India. A very moving movie that shows you that within suffering, there are glimmers of happiness and hope. I saw this film as part of the Atlanta Film Festival and was deeply move by the spiritual message of discovering one's path and being true to yourself.

Wow!

Author: James H from Texas
22 October 2013

The most moving Documentary I have ever seen. The editing was great. It was like we were there with them. I was moved by the day to day struggles, and hungered for the little victories. Some parts were difficult to watch. You will want to bring tissue paper for this one. There really are no films or documentaries that are similar, but Rocky's Journey does remind me of the Journey that Mother Teresa took. His life is a brilliant example of what love is. Well done. I was frustrated for driving over 30 miles to go see it. Having seen it, I would gladly drive 300. I look forward to hearing more about the hostel and opportunities to make a difference.

Extraordinary

Author: coxeliz from United States
10 November 2013

The best film in years that I have seen. This is a documentary but the director has created what I consider a paradigm shift similar to Ken Burns' work with Civil War series with his amazing use of graphics and cartoons and with his informal style of interviewing people. Rocky is brutally honest and vulnerable in this film and anyone who sees it will be moved by his humanity and courage. He is the real deal. A lot of people aspire to do volunteer work that makes a difference for people in foreign lands. Rocky delivers. You will fall in love with the children and the people of India in the film - but it is not sugar coated. There is no whitewashing. He is truly a modern warrior for these angelic but tough minded kids who are historically ignored and forgotten.

Heartwarming, spiritual, compassionate

Author: dbrayshaw from United States
17 August 2014

This real story had me in tears throughout most of it. There could not be a deeper love displayed on any documentary than what one will witness from this one.

Rocky's heart is centered on a most intense, proactive love no matter whether he is playing with his "family," the children with HIV, mending a wound or caring for a child who suffers with the side effects of AIDS development, or when he is among the neighboring people. Love pours from him. I believe he must know the Lord in the way Paul wrote, "in the fellowship of His sufferings, being made conformable unto His death."

If you know not love, then watch this film. It will change your perspective on what it means to love in word and deed, nonstop, without reservation, and with no regrets.

This film should be required viewing by all people of the world.