IMDb > "Vegas" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Vegas"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Vegas" More at IMDbPro »

Vegas is one hell of a great TV show

Author: afijamesy2k from Fort Lauderdale, Florida
26 September 2012

I Disagree with this person from IMDb who called this show inept, this is not only the best of the show of the season, it is also one of the best shows of 2012, Michael Chiklis and Dennis Quaid deliver brilliant performances and especially an emmy nomination for quaid as a 1960's rancher trying to find the killer of a governor's daughter and clashed with a mobster in las vegas, the story and the teleplay is wonderful, the chemistry is there, the writing is magnificent, the musical score is great, this is a very good show, in an era of bad television, from reality TV to bad TV remakes, this is a standout from the rest.

This is one of the best shows of the year and I Give it an A.

Great New Drama

Author: hufnagelocsi from connecticut
9 October 2012

Wow! I've watched both shows and really like it. Dennis and his TV family are awesome. True Grit portrayals. Michael is great as the owner of the casino who is nice on the outside but so nasty inside although he has a softness with there needs to be some. I hope this series makes it and continues to be great. Next to NCIS, I have another great show to watch. Keep up the good work and I hope more people feel the way I do. I also enjoy the old Vegas backdrop and everything else related to the 1960 times! It sure doesn't look that way today. I wish I could have seen the way it looked back then but thanks to this show, I can. I also can't think of anyone who could replace Dennis in this series. He is so dynamic and I'm sure darn realistic. He portrays this character with lots of power which I'm sure being a rancher, he had to have a lot of. Can't wait for the next episode!

VEGAS Provides Real Entertainment

Author: bdp-571-882498 (B643DP@YAHOO.COM) from United States
2 January 2013

Vegas is real entertainment. Not the typical TV show that airs most of the time, it has a real story and real characters set in a real place and time. It escapes the foul locker room humor of the so called comedy. It doesn't follow the CBS worn out cop show procedural plot lines. What it does do is present a place and time that are different from every other New York grimy modern day cop show loaded with violence. While it deals with the mob and with law and order it does so in a way that is artfully crafted by the writers. It weaves it's plot in and around the Vegas that was just beginning to grow and not the neon metropolis that exists now. The writers touch on bits and pieces of Vegas history that are nicely blended with the storyline. But most of all Vegas presents a cast of characters played by excellent talent that the viewers are just now beginning to build a relationship with as the season progresses. Interrupted by debates, the election, Hurricane Sandy, and other events, this show is just beginning to get in the saddle. Given a fair shot this is a great show just beginning to emerge from the rest of the worn out fare of nighttime television.

Wow, this show looks like pictures right out of my childhood!

Author: Irishise from United States
26 September 2012

The sets and costuming really made me feel like I was looking at photos from my childhood. And Ralph Lamb had been a personal hero of mine. I look forward to some interesting, if fictionalized stories of the early days when the test site was bombing above ground and most of the Las Vegas Vally was ranch land. I have hopes for this show, providing the writers are as good as the actors they've acquired for it.

If anyone is interested in old Las Vegas and how it was, I also recommend watching DESERT BLOOM with JoBeth Williams and Jon Voigt. The emergency drill scene in this movie made my mom cry because she remembered doing the sane drills growing up here.

This was awesome

Author: Brownsbros3 from United States
1 October 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed this series. Dennis Quaid made a nice transition from the big screen to the small screen. He is perfect in the role of Ralph Lamb. Being from Texas, just like Quaid, I can't help but like a throwback to classic TV Western good guys like Cheyenne Bodie, Matt Dillon, Dan Troop, and others.

Michael Chiklis was also outstanding as the new Mob Boss in town. He's not over-the-top evil like his former rogue cop persona on The Shield. He will do well in this role as the series progresses. It also helps that they have that glitzy Vegas strip background to provide extra eye candy.

The key to a good TV show is making you want to come back the next week and see what happens, and CBS has that with Vegas. I also like seeing the good guys ultimately win, and apparently so do others. CBS seems to have found that formula with shows like this, Hawaii Five-O, and Blue Bloods.

Vegas, love it!

Author: ozfan-1 from United States
12 November 2012

I am very impressed with this show. From the opening moments in the pilot there was action and drama. The characters are based on real people who ran Las Vegas in the 60's when the town was emerging from the desert to become the mecca it is today. I enjoy Quaid's portrayal of Sheriff Lamb. I sure wouldn't want to tick him off. I like the balance that Jack Lamb (brother to Ralph) brings to the sheriff's department. There is minor sexual tension between Ralph/Katherine and Jack/Mia. One of my favorite vacation spots is Vegas (the other is Disney World), I am fascinated by the way this amazing town started. It isn't a surprise with the mafia connections but me being 47, Vegas was just getting started when I was born so all I know of that town is the colossal casino/resorts and attraction/shows. I am really enjoying this portrayal of how it started and am especially happy that the writers are using real life people on which to base the story. I highly recommend this show to my readers.

Check out my blog at blogspot.com talesoftelevision

Good old-fashioned sheriff show

Author: kis-aleksandar from Serbia
27 September 2012

"Vegas" has everything you need for a good, old police story. Based on true events that follow the life and work of the sheriff of Las Vegas. All the characters in the series are clearly defined, without unnecessary drama nonsense. It is a Lamb sheriff, who was for many years the sheriff in Las Vegas since the first casino to mid seventies. Dennis Quaid portrays a rancher who became a sheriff and who catches the first time in the fight against organized crime, sexual predators and maniacs at the time far, far from that described in the CSI: Las Vegas. No microscope, DNA laboratories. There are only a fist, shotgun and boot in the butt.

Vegas is a winner

Author: john-h1961 from United States
21 February 2013

Vegas is the only major network show I anticipate watching. It is nice to see some entertainment aimed at more adult viewers. I love Las Vegas and I enjoy watching a show about the 'early' days of Vegas. Dennis Quaid is one one of my favorite actors and Michael Chiklis does a great job also. One of the nice features of the theme is the fact that there are so many potential stories and plot possibilities. CBS - please do not cancel this show. It deserves a good run. One of the features I enjoy is the on-going theme of plot line and character continuity (soap opera style) and the sub story theme of a separate crime that occurs and is solved within one show.

Fantastic Show - More please!

Author: haggar3 from United Kingdom
27 March 2013

This show has it all and best of all it appeals to me at 40yrs young which is a rare thing for a TV series to do these days. Most of the garbage they churn out now is aimed at young folk but Vegas is a treat for someone who loves the old westerns, classic movies and a good thick plot. Quaid is a great actor and he has great supporting actors around him in this series, the characters are very well written and they all play a big part with no sub plots that waste your time and don't progress things. For once I can see scope for several seasons to come as Vegas grows,the casinos get bigger and the Mob wanting a bigger slice of the action. There seems plenty to go at without getting repetitive. Here's hoping those seasons materialise and who knows, a few cameos for Joe Pesci and co...

Hope the Show Makes It!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
14 April 2013

CBS should be ashamed of themselves for putting the show on Friday nights from Tuesday nights. As really what in the world are they thinking by putting it on Fridays as that is a dead night of TV.

Anyway, Dennis Quaid makes his first TV regular gig as no-nonsense Sheriff Ralph Lamb based on the real life sheriff in Vegas in the 1960s-1970s. As he wants to clean up Vegas and deputizes two men, including his own son.

A great antagonist is "The Shield's" Michael Chiklis as Savino. Who comes from Chicago to Vegas to run a mob run casino. As both characters collide as they try to outwit one another week in and week out.

Lamb always outsmarts Savino but Savino is down but definitely not out regardless. Great writing and acting. As Quaid settles down in a regular TV gig. Chiklis an old TV pro, is nasty in a good kind of way as the main antagonist.