IMDb > "Partners" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Partners"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Partners" More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]

Love love love it !!

Author: maggie-tompkins
30 October 2012

I love this show it is my new favorite!! The jokes are hilarious and Michael Urie is awesome!

Sophia Bush happens to be one of my favorite actresses and she fits in this show so well!

Many of people do not like this show as much because they only watched the first episode then said they didn't like it however, if you do not like it after watching the first episode I promise you it gets much better the next episode!!

If you want a new show to watch or are looking for a good laugh watch this show!

Looked Good on Paper

Author: SnoopyStyle
9 September 2013

David Kohan, and Max Mutchnick (creators of Will & Grace) inject a lot of their lives into this show. It seems like a grand slam. We have sitcom veterans doing what most writers are told to do, write what you know.

Louis (Michael Urie), and Joe (David Krumholtz) are lifelong friends who work together as architects. One is straight, the other is gay. Joe is engaged to Ali Landow (beautiful and raspy voiced Sophia Bush), and Louis partners name is Wyatt (Brandon Routh), a vegan male nurse sweetheart.

David Krumholtz and Sophia Bush just didn't seem right. They're like Snow White and one of the Dwarfs. If they had more time, they could have built up some chemistry.

But the Michael Urie and Brandon Routh combo really sucked. Wooden Brandon is not my favorite actor, and it's hard to see his appeal for Louis other than simple physicality. Every time that couple is on the screen, the show grinds to a stop. They are horribly unfunny.

Meh...

Author: trag-1 from United States
7 December 2012

I watched all of the episodes which were broadcast. I thought this series was okay, but it never really grabbed me and frankly, when I heard it was cancelled I was somewhat relieved, because I'd rather have reruns of "Big Bang Theory" or "Two and a Half Men" in between "HIMYM" and "TBG" rather than new episodes of Partners.

I liked "Will and Grace". I loved "Ned and Stacy". I wanted to love this show.

Perhaps given more time, the series would have found its feet.

The good: I'm not much of a judge of acting, but all the actors seem skilled and accomplished and played their roles well. I am a big fan of snappy, quick-witted dialog, such as one finds in the old Katherine Hepburn/Spencer Tracey comedies or "Bringing Up Baby", and this show tried to deliver that. The concept has potential and is rather clever and heart warming. Who doesn't want to watch two best friends from childhood making it in the world? Joe and Wyatt were good characters. Joe was intelligent and witty as written and portrayed. Brandon Routh did a great job of portraying a serene person happy with himself in a world in which he was a very odd duck indeed. Wyatt was a very original concept and I would have loved to have seen that developed further.

The not-so-good: The snappy dialog just wasn't quick witted enough. It was very hit or miss and it missed too often. It is tough and ambitious to deliver a show in that style, but if you're going to try, you need to execute well. Perhaps they would have got into the rhythm, but too many of the jokes weren't funny. Maybe I'm too old, but much of the humor just seemed sad or pathetic rather than funny. Still, I love that style. I had high hopes.

The Louis character, ultimately, wasn't funny; he was just pathetic. This is not a problem with Urie's delivery--that was excellent. It was a problem with the way the character was written.

At the beginning he was funny. After several episodes the impression I had was that he was good hearted, when it was convenient to him, but ultimately, a useless loser who was being carried in life by his best friend, Joe, and was ridiculously lucky that Wyatt was too naive to realize how much better he could do.

Louis as portrayed just wasn't a sympathetic character, unless one's goal in life is to sponge off your friends for support, and conduct your relationships as a needy, selfish leech. He was quick witted, but not sympathetic.

Perhaps they would have revealed his redeeming qualities in later episodes, but as shown, he didn't appear to have any. He earned the eight deadly words.

I guess Louis did organize that shop party/gallery opening thing for Ali, but the show hadn't shown enough of Ali for me to really care what happens to her at all. Plus, I just don't like Ali, so I didn't really care that Louis helped her.

I am utterly repulsed by Sophia Bush's clichéd mannerisms. Does she think she's a hip-hop diva? She's an attractive woman, but all the finger wagging, palm wiping and side to side head tilting screams, "Someone trying to pretend that they walked off of the stage of the music awards." Be what you are. Don't pretend you are what you're not. Even if that's not what's on her mind while she uses those mannerisms, that's how it looks. Like an adolescent imitating what she saw her favorite musician do last week.

Jessica Alba did the same thing in "The Fantastic Four" and her performance was similarly horrible. A pretty face and slender symmetrical body can only make up for so much.

Additionally, those kind of pop-culture up-to-the-moment mannerisms portray a character who is not a believable partner for Joe as portrayed.

Joe and Wyatt were good characters. Joe was intelligent and witty as written and portrayed. Wyatt was a very original concept and I would have loved to have seen that developed further. Unfortunately, Wyatt almost always came with a large helping of the selfish egotist Louis.

Anyway, I wanted to like this show, and I kind of almost did, but mostly, I found it disappointing. I think it needed some more polishing and balancing. Louis needed to be given some redeeming qualities -- or at least a tiny bit of competence at his career. Ali needed some aspect of her character to be something which would have appealed to Joe, other than, "Great body, babe." And a director needed to tell her to lose the ten-year-old-doing-diva mannerisms.

The humor needed to be more funny and less mean, sad, or pathetic.

nice enough

Author: raspick ssq from United Kingdom
7 October 2012

I disagree with the first review. As someone who found Will and Grace rather too full of innuendo, and cringingly overt references and puns tucked into every single phrase uttered, I quite like this new offering from KoMut. Here it seems much easier and so much less forced - two regular guys, one silly and one more responsible, who just happen to fancy opposite sexes. Its easy, its fun, its not trying too hard.

Also, I guess I love both characters from watching Ugly Betty and nUMBERS so maybe I am biased.

I do however hope there's more character development and that they get out of that office!.

I don't like any of the supporting characters - the boyfriend and both girls are tedious to watch - no chemistry - and the opening music and clapping in-between scenes - GRATES!

All in all, its a mildly amusing lighthearted show and exactly what I'd love to snuggle on the sofa to watch after a hard day.

So disappointed

Author: Pyromania from Connecticut
24 September 2012

I don't often watch new shows; I wait until they've been on a season or two, have heard about it from all my friends, and feel compelled to catch up with the hype. I saw the previews for this and thought it looked delightful, so I figured, "why not?"

I was very disappointed with the actual product.

All of the actors are WAY too over the top; the pace of the dialogue was obviously intended to be snappy and witty, but it just seems rushed and forced; all of the characters are horribly stereotypical, but not in a cutesy fun way: it's almost insulting. The most grating thing about this? The horrific rhythmic clapping they play for scene transitions.

I'll stick around for two more episodes (shows very often change after the pilot). Hopefully they'll fix the issues, but I doubt it.

Give it a chance. It really has something :)

Author: insanenz04 from Maryland
14 October 2012

I really enjoy this show. I feel like I have to write this review because I, like many others it seems, was not captured by the pilot. It has, however, gained my attention and become more amusing with each new episode. I laugh every time I watch it. The two male main characters play well against each other,they interact as if they really have known each other forever. The off the cuff remarks and the sarcastic comments always keep me entertained. The gay couple is hilarious together. I'm not as enchanted with Sophia Bush/Krumholtz interactions, but it's interesting enough to suffice. The funniest episode is the one where they play "celebrity". Just watch it, give it a chance. It's a little bit Will and Grace, but with a twist. I think the friendship and relationship between the straight guy and the gay guy just brings an aspect to the show that was not addressed in Will and Grace. It's definitely one of my favorite new shows of the season.

Keeps getting better!!

Author: vilma_peccable from Indonesia
9 October 2012

The reason I watch this is Michael Urie. I love Michael Urie in UGLY BETTY and I'm so excited that he finally get another show.

Unfortunately, the Pilot was dreadful. It's not horrible but it's not good enough. The acting was a bit over the top. The chemistry between Michael Urie and Brandon Routh wasn't there. Mostly because of Brandon being stiff, or maybe that's just the character.

BUT.... After episode 2, It's getting better and better. Funny and fast pace. And by the time I got to episode 3, I LOVE IT EVEN MORE. It's so funny!!! And both couple gets better chemistry.

Can't wait to see more!!!

Need Something More (from 5 to 8)

Author: sheldonblanc
20 October 2012

Definitely came from W&G creator. The humor, the characters, the set-up, everything. But how come W&G is so much better than this? For starters, W&G had amazing actors. They fit and understands their roles so well. And they also add something that the writers and the creators can't to the show.

I feel a lot of potential for this show, not just to be funny but address certain problems of society. It needs more genuineness from the actors. Something that will make you laugh your heart out and make you want to watch it over and over again. Something like KAREN WALKER. :3

Mama needs some Karen Walker! :D

Then after watching 4 episodes, the show is picking up pace and definitely getting better! The Louis and Wayeth kiss, ugh. So adorable. So if you guys keep this up, you got us in the bag. :D

Spoiler of first episode

Author: srobinson10000 from United States
29 July 2012

I went to a place called television city in Las Vegas and watched the pilot of this show and then reviewed it. The show was awful; the humor was cliché and boring and the plot line was ridiculous. the show is about two boys who have been best friends since childhood. In the future one turns out to be gay and lives with his partner. In the first episode the other friend is going to break up with his girlfriend, but when he is about to do so he randomly decides to propose to her( which I thought was offensive and tasteless) from there it just gets worse. Don't waste your time on this show because it is extremely boring and the characters are very unlikable

Bad script, over acting, and really not funny at ALL!

Author: flyboy852 from Netherland
5 October 2012

Yet another series that is NOT funny at all. Really bad script.

The only good thing? Brendon Routh playing another gay character.

The problem I have with these so called "comedies" is the laugh track. You think people will not laugh when something is really funny? Do we really need a cue? By using that laugh cue excessively, it doesn't make the show any funnier.

It really is true that British comedies are far more superior, come on people, write something new and fresh. The sketches in this show so far, are recycled materials and nothing tickles me. It's a huge waste of a good cast.

Any why are all the "gay" characters in these shows the same? Does anyone know gay people come in all shapes and sizes? Why are we type casting all the gays have to act this way? To me, that's just lazy writing to fill the time gap.

Page 2 of 2:[1] [2]