IMDb > Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies (2012) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Abraham Lincoln would be Turning in his grave, as a Zombie

Author: Bullwinkle96 from Australia
17 June 2012

What The Hell Did I Just Watch!?!?!?!?!?! THIS WAS CRAP!!!!!!!!! DO NOT WATCH THIS!!!!!

I don't know why I watched this, I thought it would be funny. I was wrong. The story is of Abraham Lincoln fighting off Zombies. Some of the Worst CGI possible. I could make a more realistic looking Zombie in Paint. Asylum (See what I did there) WHY DO YOU MAKE ME AND OTHERS SUFFER? Plants vs Zombies has a more realistic Story. AND IT DOESN'T HAVE A STORY! I wish I could rate this film less than a 1 but I can't. Again. Don't watch this. You could be spending your time doing something more interesting, like listening to your Grandfather talk about the war or washing your car. Zombies must have eaten the brains of the Script Writers because they obviously have no Brains. Again. DO NOT WATCH!!!!!

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?

Author: JoeB131 from United States
5 June 2012

The Asylum has it's little niche. Doing bad ripoffs of big Hollywood films on the hope stupid people will buy them from Netflix, Blockbuster or Redbox not knowing what they are. The term is "Mockbuster",and the Asylum is the master of it.

Because someone decided to create a movie called "Abraham Lincoln-Vampire Hunter", the folks at Asylum decided that the Great Emancipator didn't have enough people disgracing his memory.

Lincoln leads a team of Secret Service Agents to fight a Zombie outbreak in Savannah Georgia, which also includes running into Pat Garret, Teddy Roosevelt as a child, Stonewall Jackson and John Wilkes Booth. Other than the name dropping, the bad Civil War Re-enactments and other contempt for the audience's intellect, this is a typical cheap zombie movie.

I should point out the makeup work is truly awful. You couldn't tell the protagonists from the Zombies without a scorecard and some of the fake beards were laughable (Especially the aforementioned Stonewall Jackson.)

It's been 40+ years since "Night of the Living Dead", come up with some new ideas, cheap film makers.

Sometimes Asylum films can be little gems of people trying, and sometimes they can be inadvertently funny. This film was neither.

Mr. Lincoln kicking zombie butt, then later this year kicking vampire butt? Sure, why not...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
28 May 2012

Alright, whether or not "Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies" is The Asylum's attempt to cash in on the (what looks to become a major picture) "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" or not, well I have no idea about that. But it does seem a bit strange that just prior to the major Hollywood production release of the latter movie, The Asylum decided to put this on the market. That being said, then it seems awfully a lot like what happened with "I am Omega" and the major Hollywood picture "I am Legend" incident.

Regardless of the reasons for why "Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies" came into existence, then I have now seen it, not because I am American (which I am not), nor because it was with historically important American president Abraham Lincoln, no, but simply because it was something with zombies.

Taking place during the American Civil War, Abraham Lincoln and a selection of twelve secret service agents find themselves facing a threat of the living dead as they attempt to take over a ford. However, the living dead is not the only enemy the Union people are facing.

The story, oddly enough, was actually rather captivating and it managed to keep me interested right up to the very end. The storyline is a bit out there, when you think about it, but then again, isn't anything with zombies that? But that is not what I mean. What I meant was taking a historically important figure like Abraham Lincoln and have him battle zombies with a scythe? (And then later on this year, he will be battling vampires!) But oddly enough, in a comical sense, then the movie actually worked out quite nicely.

Having seen a bunch of previous works from The Asylum, then I can honestly say that they went all in this time, guns blazing and digging deep into their pockets. This movie is such a major step up the ladder, production-wise, for The Asylum, and just looking at the movie on the screen is a testament to them suiting up and stepping up to join the major league of movie production. The cinematography was great, the effects were great, and the people they had cast did great jobs. So it was really a refreshing touch to The Asylum's production value.

As for the zombies in "Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies", well, then they actually looked alright, though there wasn't any major decay going on in them, as I assume they were to be recently deceased, and that worked out okay. The gore in the movie was alright as well, it just enough to keep a gorehound like me interested. And again, it was nice to see The Asylum step up and use better effects and CGIs for a change. However, one thing did puzzle me about the zombies. They opted to stray from the mainstream zombie, and had them standing about in a deathlike-slumbering trance when they weren't agitated by sound. That I found odd, why would they only be attracted to sound? So they had all lost the sense of sight? But again, it is a matter of personal preference I suppose. Some like Romero-style zombies, some like the fast and agile zombies as those seen in "28 Days Later", and some like something else entirely.

I found "Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies" to actually be good entertainment value. There wasn't any scares or real shock scenes in the movie, which would have been nice. But still, if you like zombie movies and wouldn't mind seeing a somewhat comical approach to the take on Abraham Lincoln, then "Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies" is definitely worth checking out.

As for the ending of the movie, well I am not revealing anything here, but there is a twist there in wait. I, personally, didn't really like it, but it was a nice turn of events nonetheless.

OK, That's My Fault

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12 September 2014

During the American Civil War, Abraham Lincoln (Bill Oberst Jr.) realizes that there are zombies in the Confederate army and he organizes a small group of agents from the Secret Service to take over a fort in Savannah from the enemy to fight against the undead. He has to face not only the walking dead, but also Confederate soldiers, a traitor and his former love Mary Owens (Baby Norman).

I saw the IMDb rating of "Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies" and decided to watch this flick; therefore that is my fault. I was expecting to see a funny trash, but I found an awfully boring movie with no story, dreadful acting and cheap CGI. The lead actor is terrible and it might be sad and offensive for the American viewers to see the use the name of American personalities in such lame movie. My vote is two.

Title (Brazil): Not Available

I liked it.

Author: TheXeroXone from elsewhere
25 October 2012

This was one of the first recommendations I got from the Cinema Snob website based on his review of the film and his interview with Bill Oberst Jr. I wasn't expecting much since its an asylum film, but I honestly enjoyed it. I found myself drawn to some of the characters being portrayed and Bill Oberst did an excellent job as Abraham Lincoln and its a completely serviceable zombie film.

Of course it has its problems. The CGI effects are incredibly cheap looking (duh, its The Asylum, get over it) and the plot is fairly simplistic. Its basically a standard zombie film which includes historical figures. If you can overlook that, then you should be able to enjoy the film without much difficulty.

So bad I loved it...

Author: BadlandZ from United States
4 August 2012

OK, first off, it's a movie called Abraham Lincoln vs. Zombies. If you really expected something serious or good, the title was warning enough.

I guess I was just in the mood for some stupidity. I gave it a 3 of 10, but I have to say, even though it was bad, there were moments I really did laugh out loud. For example, when the little kid is sitting on Abe Lincoln's shoulders and telling him to move left and right so he can shoot zombies on the other side of a brick wall that Lincoln can't see over... Hysterical. The kid's shooting a big old musket, and there is no smoke, no recoil, and he never has to reload it! Just BANG, BANG, BANG... Dead Zombies.

To me, that embodied the whole movie. If you can look past such obvious problems with having reality get in the way of the movie, you might get a good laugh out of it. I mean, after all, it is a zombie movie...

There are two types of zombie movies in my book, the ones where you go "ok, here's the crazy scenario that you might have to face zombies" (like I Am Legend or 28 Days Later), and then there is the "who the heck cares, it's a Zombie movie, let's get goofy." This is the ladder, and as such, it's funny as heck.

But, even for the ladder, it does move a little slow, it's no Zombieland... So, I give it a 3.

I actually really liked it!

Author: fredterling from United States
2 August 2012

The film had a very indy, unpolished look. From a cinematography standpoint, the film could have used a better audio mixer or even balanced it. With about another week in the editing room, those things could have been smoothed out.

On the plus side, there were terrific costumes, the camera boxing by the DP was fantastic and the acting was good overall, but Bill Oberst Jr. was ABSOLUTELY excellent. Loved the story and the way the writers worked in historical lines in the name of butt whoopin, "emancipate this!" They had fun creating it and it showed.

I think The Asylum films bring a MUCH needed levity to an industry that takes itself WAY too seriously. Every release from the big studios are on such a grand scale that the trailers themselves look like they cost a $million plus. The blockbusters are so reliant on "wow" cgi, that character development/creativity and story lines are somewhere in the trunk under the spare tire and jack!

This isn't a masterpiece, but it is fun and I laughed a lot. Well done!

Excellent for the Faint-of-Heart Zombie Fans

Author: Claire Weinstein from United States
1 January 2014

Useful for the zombie lovers of all ages. I took my seven year old sister and she adored the actors in the familiar Savannah area where we live! Definitely good for the faint of heart zombie fans!

There are some things to be noted:

1) Directors did a good job in keeping this focused not on the gore, but on some history as well(such as Lincoln, Booth, etc.)

2) Make-up is extraordinary on the zombies, such as the blood

3) FINALLY a movie with no cussing

I enjoyed the film, so will the other viewers who are crazy for history and historic people/places!

ONE MORE NOTE: Did I mention this takes place at Fort Pulaski National Monument???

Better than I expected...

Author: Vincent Black from United States
23 August 2012

Come on people, the title says it all. I was truly amazed that some of the acting was actually well done and not just phoned in, although most could not act well at all. I am almost certain that most of the actors were from a civil war reenactment group.

About half way through with the constant historical figure's names being added, I thought for sure we were going to see Fidel Castro. "Come with me Mr. President if you want to survive! I am from Cuba in the distant future sent back in time to assist you." But I guess the writers didn't think of that one.

Someone actually got a decent camera and found someone who didn't have the shakes from cocaine addiction. I would rank this movie's historical accuracy up there with "Inglourious Basterds" 2009 title. I am still pondering how that one got rated so high.

Now for some spoilers, since this movie events are just prior to his Gettysburg Address in July 1863, Pat Garrett born June 5, 1850 would have been 13 years old. Theodore Roosevelt born October 27, 1858 would have been 5 years old. General Stonewall Jackson (the real one) died in a sick bed from pneumonia. Obviously this was an impostor, I could tell by the fake beard.

The dialog was very excessive in abusing historical quotes. At one point, John W. Booth quotes from Hamlet. I am certain there were a multitude of stolen lines. If don't want to pay a rental fee to view this you can currently watch it on Netflix.

typical The Asylum

Author: trashgang from Midian
2 October 2012

Here we have it again, The Asylum ripping off another blockbuster. This time Abraham Lincoln: Vampire hunter (2012). And by now you all know what you can expect from The Asylum. Most of their flicks are full of cheap CGI and bad acting.

This is no exception. Some can act and Abraham Lincoln (Bill Oberst Jr.) was believable but others just couldn't act and them wearing fake beards didn't make it much better.

The zombies looked rather good but still were missing a few things, their clothes were all nicely cleaned. But their faces were okay. Still, there aren't that many zombies to see, only towards the end we do have a horde involving children. When the zombies are being killed it doesn't become gory. The blood and beheadings are done CGI wise, and some CGI is really awful. When zombies are attacking people and getting them to the ground nothing is shown like in those good old zombie flicks. No tearing apart of corpses, no intestines being eaten.

Of course being a low budget it all takes place in one place a so-called fort. Inside there was a lot of talking which didn't add towards the suspense.

The end you could see it coming from miles away.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 2/5 Story 2/5 Comedy 0/5