IMDb > "Vikings" A King's Ransom (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Vikings" A King's Ransom (2013)

« Prev | 7 of 69 Episodes | Next »

How did the Saxons conquer anyone?

Author: Wirefan122 from United States
6 May 2015

I have to say that I want to like this show...the scenery is beautiful and the story itself intrigues me as I do not know much of the Vikings history. Then the show starts...

The episode starts off with Ragnar and his 3-4 boats of soldiers in Northumbria somewhere on a river. They set up camp and start digging in although one may wonder why raiders would do such a thing...at least they stay close to the river in case they need to flee.

The hapless Saxons send out a force that sets up camp above the Vikings position on the river and the very first night they don't seem to have too many sentries posted as the Vikings just march in and start slaughtering them. The commander prays for a bit then surrenders. How on earth did the Saxons ever take anything, much less England? What a sad display of incompetence! A night watchman would be a good idea especially when you know exactly where your enemy is.

I guess might be as arrogant as Ragnar if my foes were such clowns. The Saxon king is a slovenly sort who would unlikely arouse fear in anyone. The bilingual Vikings then decide to ransom the king's brother for gold and will allow Rollo to be baptized as one of the conditions (also that they take their money and leave which will undoubtedly work out well for the Saxons).

The Saxons try to fake them out by giving them empty crates and then attack. Surprisingly enough the Vikings were prepared for this and slaughter another bunch of soldiers but probably lost three or four men themselves. How does one take the Saxons or this show seriously?

So Ragnar then kills the king's brother and sends his body to the king's camp. Then the king sends out his gold! Why would you do that when your brother is already dead? Strategic genius he is not.

Oh and Ragnar's wife miscarries.