IMDb > "The Eric Andre Show" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Eric Andre Show" More at IMDbPro »

Is This Comedy?

Author: diesixdie from The Shadows
21 May 2012

I'm not sure this is comedy. It presents itself as a talk show. The host, Eric Andre, seems to be trapped in the role. The show opens with Eric absolutely destroying the set. Within seconds, like in a bad dream the set magically reassembles itself and the show continues, the host, his defenses momentarily derailed declares, "I'm dying". There is something that appears to be comedy, but, all the while, the participants seem to be holding back a pent-up fear and generalized hostility, if not disorientation. The participants don't quite seem to be in control, and react to the hidden forces around them with horror. At one point, the show subjects Andre and his co-host to an insane game show, without warning, where Andre is drenched with scalding hot coffee after every question. We seem to be viewing some sort inescapable closed universe containing nothing but an endless slightly nightmarish talk show. It feels like a bad dream, half remembered. It feels like there's some unspeakable horror lurking just off-camera that the people on-stage can see, but, we can't, and they can only stay safe by pretending to ignore it.

I like what the show is trying to do, even if it's more unsettling, then funny, much like "Tim and Eric's Awesome Show, Great Job", produced by the same production company. There's just something kind of compelling, here. More so than most of Adult Swim's live action shows. It'll be interesting to see where they go with this.

Great Show

Author: Doctor-rockzo291 from United States
4 August 2012

I'd disregard taking any review into consideration from someone who says for Adult Swim to play more Family Guy and American Dad.

This show is great, the comedy can be in your face or really subtle and witty at times. Eric Adre's skits are well thought out in my opinion, and Hannibal is one of the funniest co-hosts on any television show I've watched.

The guests are great, the sketches in between the studio shots make me laugh harder than anything. Telling the Tea-Party that they "forgot their masks" was one of the greatest things I've seen on Adult Swim in awhile, and I've been watching since the beginning.

TL;DR-At least give it a shot once, there's not one bad episode

Another great absurd show from Adult Swim

Author: ducreux from north of the equator, earth
10 August 2012

I've been watching adult swim since I was a young buck and they've managed to surprise me once again by how far they can take comedy away from the norm. I didn't expect much after watching the commercials but after I gave it a try, I became addicted. It's unlike any talk show I've seen before, the discomfort and awkwardness in the guests is clearly visible, partly due to Hannibal standing behind them during interviews. The sketches are original and hilarious and the comedic timing of Eric Andre is amazing. This show is better than Family Guy or Robot Chicken by a mile. The interview with a grizzly bear is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life.

Eric and Hannibal make a great comedic team, give this show a try.

masterful deconstruction of late-night talk shows

Author: uzumakiharikari
22 January 2013

The Eric Andre show is a parody of every terrible art school party, every terrible noise show, and every stand-up act that was only laughable because of how bad it was. These flavors are combined to create a deconstruction of the talk/skit late-night show that occasionally ascends to brilliance.

The sublime intro sequence begins slowly but rapidly advances in tempo as mr. andre destroys his set and clothes in an escalating fit of madness before, suddenly clothed again, sitting down exhausted. As a new curtain descends behind him and a fresh desk pushed in front of him the audience is left with the illusion that this act repeats week after week and the show is performed in the expanding refuse of previous sets.

Hilarious and Genius

Author: maxco102
21 December 2013

Adult swim sometimes spews out some great comedy. "The Eric Andre Show" is one of those examples. It is a fantastic deconstruction of late night talk-shows with an extreme wacky format that alternates between interviews and silly skits. The show, in it's parodistic nature, shows the interviewees very uncomfortable and acting as if they don't want to be there while Eric asks very bizarre questions or makes obviously inappropriate comments toward them. Hannibal Buress also does a great job as the 'sidekick' to Eric, providing strange momentum and sometimes saying something that's fully incoherent and doesn't connect to anything whatsoever. The Introductions to the show are always funny and witty, showing Eric completely destroying everything in sight. I believe that this show is a hidden gem, since it's probably overlooked by critics and has a late time slot at 12:30 A.M. You can't just watch one episode and dismiss it. This show will crack you up if you give it a chance. Think of this show as "Comedy Bang Bang" times fifty.

Worst Show Ever

Author: rajatbarman-80502 from India
25 September 2016

I just finished watching 20 episodes of this show, I loved it. The show has great energy and insanity embedded in every frame, I recommend everyone to watch it with their families. Season 2 episode 10 had me doubt my sanity. The show is humorless, the host of this show "Eric Andre" keeps on vomiting and farting most of the time and that disgusting visual is supposed to be funny. The randomness and unpredictability of the show will keep you entertained, some bits are pure genius which can be observed only if you watch it with full attention. This show isn't for kids, and avoid seeing it with your parents/families at all costs. The show keeps repeating the same pattern, destruction of random things, crying, naked body, vomit, farts, emotional dramas, Sherlock, poems, piano, planets, Saturn, hawk and Obama.

Overall the show is funny and hence humorless.

Catharsis over wasted years

Author: Sqetchie (Jukeboksi@gmail.com)
17 August 2016

You flip through channels and you've seen it all. Building suspense over the most worthless of things, only to not even deliver on what's promised. Story lines that get rehashed over and over until you know exactly what's gonna happen next, when and how. Obviously staged happenings acted poorly with stunted emotional growth. TV, it's nothing but mindless drivel.

Tim, Eric and Doug Lussenhop share my hate for TV (even the whole of entertainment business) and what it has become, what it may have always been. If not hate, apathy. Now, they have a new tool in their box, to unleash their furious vision over and on viewers lost in the void of the remote: one Mr. Eric Andre, supported by Hannibal Buress mainly.

TV being mindless drivel, a show that is purposefully and deliberately mindless drivel is the logical next step. No ground is broken here, references are all over the place, conclusions aim to disappoint, segments are filtered through low-brow running gags. If you let yourself get agitated, you have lost.

I love the creators of this show for giving us this fine fifteen minutes ten times a year. This show lets you release all the pent-up anger you've built over the years over crappy, boring and never-ending drama, entertainment, sports and news. Release all the dread you realize over the time spent on watching screens with moving images and sound through-out time. Just, forget it all and linger in the actualization of the insane that is and envelopes this world. Anything can happen next and the beautiful part is: you cannot prepare for the future, just let it in.

I love this show. It does not look to cater to anybody. It does not deceive you into viewing. It does not exploit your emotions or deeper needs. It is openly, honestly and proudly what it is and as such transcends all media. It might treat the viewer like crap, but if you can't take it, you deserved it.

"Hey, you're watching Bird Up! The WORST show on television!"

The show is terrible.

Author: uscatndog
11 January 2017

By far the worst thing I've ever seen. The host never does anything funny,he's obnoxious and ridiculous. All he ever does is smash stuff and harass his guests. The ideas are overused, the set is boring, the cast is stupid and the show just makes adult swim unimaginably displeasing. I would rate this show a zero if they'd let me. 10/10 times I will always change the channel and would never recommend to anyone that they watch this garbage. Eric Andre does not deserve to be called a comedian. In my opinion, I'd rather be dead than have to watch his show. And this is me on a nice day. Whoever runs adult swim should be ashamed of themselves for keeping his show on this long. He does not deserve money for acting stupid. It's seriously the worst thing I've ever had to see. If somebody doesn't stop him, Jesus might just resurrect one more time and do it himself.

worst show

Author: hakkaixcho
21 November 2016

it boggles my mind how anyone can actually watch this on the regular, or call it brilliant or genius. some unfunny guy making his guests mad. If you like this show you are one of those people that probably plays video games and dies on purpose to make people mad. I can't believe people actually go on the show as guests. Cartoon network has had a steady decline of good programming in my opinion and this just adds to the pile of garbage, they already show. Sometimes i think who ever owns cartoon network is just a rich person that shows whatever they want because they can. I then realize some of these shows actually get viewers and i am sad for our world.

A breath of fresh air for adult swim, and TV in general

Author: teteter2004
8 December 2013

The past year Adult Swim has shown me nothing new or exciting, every show is either competing with Tim and Eric, or mimicking it. Although their style is genius it was gotten a little dry since the billion dollar movie. When i first saw the trailer for the Eric Andre show I was even more disappointed, ready for yet another tim and eric knock off. After watching the premier episode I felt as if I had never laughed before. Everything was unexpected, and completely over the top in a way that nobody has ever gotten close to. I never know what to expect, and the commercials for each episode have entirely no footage from the actual episode. The Eric Andre show refreshed the talk show vibe with original pranks, and a surprisingly deep layers of humor. One must watch each episode 3 or 4 times to really see everything they pack into it. What i'd really like to see is everything that doesn't air.