IMDb > A Haunted House (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

Stupid, but entertaining!

Author: Kevin Nowicki from United States
16 January 2013

Let's get this straight right now: I appreciate good movies. Was this a good movie? No, in fact it was pretty stupid. Will people hate it? Absolutely. Did I enjoy it? A whole lot. I don't know what it was about this movie, but at times I could not stop myself from laughing. In my head I knew it was stupid, but I just didn't care. It's immature, raunchy, and ridiculous, but I loved it. The only Marlon Wayans movies I like, along with this one, is the first Scary Movie, and White Chicks. All three of them were pretty stupid. But that's the point. Sometimes you just have to see those movies that are obviously not good, but will entertain you. I love good, well made movies as much as the next guy, but I also enjoy just kicking back and watching a movie that will keep me smiling for 90-120 minutes. So if you're bored, have $7-$10, and an hour and a half to burn, watch this movie.

Under-rated film worth seeing

Author: ST Manyo from United States
15 January 2013

Whether or not this movie was stereotypical should be set aside for reviews. Focus on the main parts of this movie which were to utterly make fun of paranormal activity and the devil inside. I felt like this movie is under-rated. I thought they got straight into funny and absolutely making fun of paranormal activity 1 very quickly. The first scene was based on making fun of the camera work of paranormal activity in the bed room. Although these sorts of comedies are always a stupid sort of funny, I laughed throughout this movie, especially at the character of Chip the psychic; whose main goal is to bring out the gay demons in Malcolm the main character. I had a good laugh and if you can score some tickets for cheap its not a bad, make you laugh at stupid comedy, type of movie.

Great Comedy

Author: luvlive33 from United States
14 January 2013

I am giving this movie a "9". I loved this movie, every scene was hilarious. I don't understand why the movie critics are so critical of this movie, to me a "spoof" is just like "a roast" it is meant to be funny and sometimes delivered in a risqué manner. Bravo Marlon... You did a fantastic job with this. I can not wait to go see it again plus buy the movie when it comes out. Everyone in my party was laughing and still laughing today and we send it two days ago. I thought my boyfriend was going to pee his pants he was laughing so hard. The whole theater was cracking up. Go see it people, we need to laugh after all the craziness that has been going on this world we live in.

It's a Good Laugh, Not Oscar Winning, But Decent

Author: rrice7 from Atlanta, Georgia
11 January 2013

Okay if you've seen the first Scary Movie and laughed, you'll find this funny. I like silly/dumb funny so I was cracking up at many parts. Some folks are looking for witty, award winning comedy, full of heartfelt all-around good jokes. If this is you, skip out on this one. Overall, I'd give it a 6.5/7. Some parts were simply dumb, but that's to be expected. If you have 10 bucks, an hour and a half, and you wouldn't mind a laugh or two, I say go for it. If you're looking for wit, class, and style, keep it moving. Still unsure? Okay I'll tell you the movie, without spoiling it. Basically a guy has his girlfriend move into his house. He's skeptical, because his friends have warned him about the dangers of having a girlfriend move in, ya know, no more dream-girlfriend. Anyways, she moves in and stuff starts getting weird. With the increasing weirdness, more characters are introduce to help stop the weirdness. It's a movie with a simple plot, simple characters, and a silly flow. If this sounds good to you, you'll love it!

Not as bad as you're led to believe, but still pretty flimsy

Author: MovieProductions from United States
20 January 2013

*1/2 out of **** (ROTTEN)

Channel the New Year. Already in the second week, the Tomato Meter is at its lowest- a dashing seven percent, and with a spoof movie. This cannot end well. I will admit, the trailer had me chuckling. I'm big on stereotypical humor, and from time to time I like to succumb myself to just stupid, dumb fun. Being a fan of the first Scary Movie certainly doesn't hurt matters.

With that being said, "A Haunted House" is exactly what you'd expect... and not much else. In terms of humor, the ratio's about 2:5. That might seem like a bad mark, which it is, but for a film that aims at the lowest common denominator and scores a higher denominator, it's not too shabby. Acting/story, well, you don't go to these kinds of movies for that. Same goes for editing/choreography.

There's not much you can say about this film. This is one of those cases where you either are the audience FOR this film or you're not. If you're a fan of the first two Scary Movies, have an admiration for the Wayans brothers, and dig the advertisements for this film, you'll walk out of there with some good laughs here and there. If you completely despise these movies, or this type of humor in general, you'll walk out feeling cheated.

However, be warned, this is NOT a kids film (ala a Jason Friedberg/Aaron Seltzer production or even the last Scary Movies that were PG-13). Tons of sex scenes (played for laughs though), nudity, drugs, and such abound.

All in all, it's not as bad as you're led to believe, but it's still pretty flimsy.

Very funny for a half hour then started to repeat itself. Better then the recent Scary Movie movies though. I say B-.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
2 March 2013

"You made a deal with the devil for a pair of shoes? Not shoes Malcolm!!! Louboutins OK, they've got red soles and they make my calves pop. I really needed them OK!" Malcolm (Wayans) and Kisha (Atkins) have moved in together and are excited to start their new life together. When strange things start to happen they look for answers and narrow it down to one thing. A ghost is messing with them. This is another movie that is pretty much what you would expect. Funnier then the recent Scary Movie movies but after a half hour it seemed to run out of ideas and started to repeat itself. The first half hour was really funny though. The movie spoofs the Paranormal Activity and Last Exorcism movies so if you have seen those this will be funnier. The dialog is funny and this is worth watching but don't expect to laugh all the way through, unless you like the same joke over and over. Overall, very funny for awhile then runs out of steam. I give it a B-.

Don't waste your time

Author: mogwuy from United States
22 December 2013

I was looking for something funny to watch last night, when I came across this. I did like 'A Scary Movie' so thinking this would be similar I put it on.

The movie served its purpose to make fun of Paranormal Activity and the like, but it just wasn't funny. It was dumb. I didn't laugh through out the whole, and almost shut it off twice, but I sat through it thinking it would get better. Though it never did.

I felt like the movie tried really hard to be funny, but most of the scenes just felt repetitive and got old quick, and lasted longer than they should've.

The film was pretty crude and raunchy, which doesn't bother me, and mainly consisted of fart, poop and sex jokes, with one drug reference. So yeah you're not missing much.

The parody is truly a lost art form.

Author: RevRonster from United States
23 April 2013

The parody is a lost art form. While it still exists, it is no longer the witty rib on the subject material it was when films like "The Naked Gun," "Airplane" and even the first "Scary Movie" came out. There's no wit or bite to them, they are just "let's make this look like the subject we are lampooning, throw in a Kardashian reference and then a fart sound." "A Haunted House" is basically an unofficial Scary Movie sequel/spin-off that parodies the "found footage" genre—a genre that is already a joke and readily parodies itself by making each and every one of the films the same over and over again. The film sees Malcolm (Marlon Wayans) and his girlfriend Kisha (Essence Atkins) move in together in a house that is basically an amalgam of the first two houses in the "Paranormal Activity" franchise. After Kisha suspects some paranormal presences in the home, Malcolm invites a security man (David Koechner) to install cameras and a psychic (Nick Swardson) to "read" the house. Pretty soon the hauntings start to get more frequent and violent until the demon ultimately possesses Kisha. And somewhere during this, I guess there are some jokes and gags.

This film feels less like a parody of the "Paranormal Activity" films during much of its running length and more like a potential spin-off of the series. For nearly the first half-hour of the film, the movie is set-up just like every other "PA" film with Malcolm getting a camera and becoming increasingly (and very unhealthily) obsessed with filming every aspect of their daily lives until the first moments of a haunting start--and then he gets MORE cameras! There might have been some jokes in the form of Wayans hamming it up for the camera but, for the most part, these sequences were just as inane and as boring as the opening to any typical "found footage" film.

Once the jokes and the "humor" actually starts, I found I was just as silent and as stoic as I was during the first part of the film. All the jokes come from either bottom of the barrel fart and private part jokes, parodies of sequences from the "found footage" films they are mocking that are just shoe-horned into the story (and when they don't feel completely out of place, are just painfully unfunny) and argument-style banter between characters that are overflowing with pop culture metaphors and stereotypes that are more annoying than humorous. In fact, most of the film is taking references, stereotypes and parody sequences and beating them over and over again till they are no longer recognizable as a potentially comedic scene and just become grating and hard to sit through.

Really, everything about this is predictable and cliché with no real breaths of fresh air placed in it. Occasionally, I found myself laughing but, in all honesty, I laughed only twice at something Marlon Wayans did and the rest of the time I was just silent.

Marlon gives off some straight-laced performances but they are just lost in a string of nonsense from those around him and performances that reek of the scenery that Koechner,Swardson and Cedric the Entertainer just chewed on. The rest of the cast look like they were just goofing around on set, trying to amuse each other, and the director just said, "Cut, we'll work with that." However,everyone pales in comparison with the really, truly, immensely awful performance of Essence Atkins. Atkins is just hard to watch. She pretty much overacts every scene she's in to the point it's like watching a person parody the parody that they are performing in. Even Swardson looked somewhat decent compared to her.

Shockingly, however, I was really impressed with the film's effects. The haunting sequences look really good and are about on par with anything seen in the "Activity" films. However, this doesn't make the film funnier, it only makes it look more like a spin-off of the franchise.

"A Haunted House" is, plain and simple, not funny. The two amusing moments it did present to me did nothing to allow the classification of this movie as a comedy or even a well-thought out parody/satire. The film feels less like a comedy and more like a collection of YouTube videos of people using their camera phones to make poorly feathered out "Paranormal Activity" send ups. This movie is proof that the art of the parody is not an easy one and just doing some poop jokes in a scene that looks like the scene from the movie you are mocking doesn't constitute a parody.

Worst Movie ever

Author: Sly Tardif from Canada
29 April 2013

This was the worst movie I have seen in a long long time. I kept expecting the laugh to come but they never showed up. Very disappointing, I was expecting something much better from a Wayan. It looked like there was no preparation for each scene. It was poorly acted, no continuity and the Blair Witch project camera handling is so much a thing of the past. I have seen much better dialogues in improvised shows than this piece of movie-making that doesn't even deserve a mention in a trash can content review. I definitely do NOT recommend this movie to anyone, I am overly surprised this movie grossed over 40 millions, The Wayans brothers must have bought most of the tickets to over-inflate the total sales on this one. Crap !

If you like to laugh, this is a movie to see

Author: mleeseb from United States
12 January 2013

I loved this movie, I could go back to see it again. I laughed so hard. The comedy was refreshing, It's been a while since I can recall a movie that left me laughing like this movie did. It was a change from most recent movies based on drama (killings, kidnapping and etc...). I would tell anyone who likes to laugh this is the movie to see. It was nice to see Marlon Wayans independent from his family. I loved each and every character, Marlon Wayans, Essence Atkins and Cedric The Entertainer were fantastic in the movie, but if I have a favorite it would have to be "Chip the Psychic". Just sitting here writing this is making me laugh and think about the movie. Don't just take my word for it GO SEE IT!

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]