IMDb > Outpost: Rise of the Spetsnaz (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Outpost: Rise of the Spetsnaz

Faith in sequels restored!

Author: Flow from Romania
17 October 2013

OK, so lets talk about this series a little: Outpost: loved it! Black sun: So-so; Rise of Spetsnaz: not your average zombie movie.

Part three was better than two, at least in my opinion. Sure, the beginning is slow, cause there is a German general who talks for like 20 minutes into the movie and he gets quite annoying at times. But luckily for us they shut him up and let the action roll. The movie is violent, quite gorish, not for them stomach weak people, some much loved kill shots, very few moments when the characters act dumb, as they usually do in horrors, so overall, an entertaining movie.

It's dark, it's sinister, well the main character puts it best: "f*cking crazy Nazis!" So, let me tell you, if you're a fan of them first 2 parts, you gonna love this. Jut bare in mind, try to get over the first 25 minutes, they kinda suck, but after those dull moments, you'll get plenty of blood, action, zombies and death!

2013 is a good year for parts 3 apparently, both Hatched 3 and Outpost managed to stand quite tall for number 2 sequels. So, there is hope after all, who knows what we're going to be looking in next, important thing is: I'm dying to see more!!

still no fan of the franchise but much better then Black Sun

Author: trashgang from Midian
14 October 2013

The original Outpost (2007) spawned a new era full of Nazi zombie flicks let be so far Dead Snow (2009) be the best one. I was never really into the Outpost franchise and the second entry Outpost Black Sun (2012) was for me almost a reason to leave the franchise. But seen the trailer of this prequel I thought that it could deliver something new.

Kieran Parker makes his directorial debut here but he of course new the stuff because he was producer and even story writer of the franchise so far. So we go back in time but still the Nazi's are mixing elements of the supernatural and the techniques of the day to create a new super soldier. But this time they are hunted down by the red army. But things go wrong and some Russians are being captured for experiment. From there on we meet the typical zombies again. It isn't that gory at all although it has some bloody shots here and there. This time it's more of an escape from prison flick. But it do deliver for the fans of the Nazi zombie genre.

The acting was rather good this time especially by Bryan Larkin (Dolokhov) and Michael McKell (Strasser) but the grey overtone in the colours doesn't add to the viewing. By making the zombies some kind of super soldiers it also of course will make horror buffs move away from the Outpost franchise.

You can easily watch it as a stand alone a thing you couldn't do with the boring Black Sun. I'm more looking forward to the next installment of Dead Snow then Outpost. Not that it was bad but I'm missing something.

Gore 1/5 Nudity 0/5 Effects 3/5 Story 3/5 Comedy 0/5

Enjoyable

Author: hobgoblinlol from Georgia
2 November 2013

Honestly, don't know why it got 4.2 in my opinion the movie at least deserves 5.0-6.0 yes it is a cheesy sci-fi plot, but I think it is well executed. The thing I love about Outpost movies is the atmosphere and even though I think that the film took an odd turn by going back to WW2 to have an origin story it was still well done. But we can all see that the budget of the movie isn't completely as good as the first Outpost. The acting is decent and the action is good. Plot and the story maybe little bit too cheesy, but it's a Nazi zombie sci-fi flick so what do you expect? god father? I'm actually surprised with the stern treatment Outpost movies receive. Not to mention when people call ''Dead Snow'' good it's just eerie. Even Frankenstein's army has 5.0 than this considering the fact that it is not as good. War of the dead has 4.0 even though it's not an awful disaster. This one actually had some cameos and references from the previous films including the Beethoven song that starts randomly playing once in a while in all three films (very good touch in my opinion) as far as I am concerned the movie is definitely a 5.0 - 6.0/10. It wouldn't hurt to let the logic fly out and enjoy a cheesy flick that can grant you certain entertainment.

IMDb and Rotten Tomatoes logic: if it's not a masterpiece, it's bad. Even though IMDb is a saint compared to Rotten Tomatoes. Hopefully, when more people vote it'll at least get the rating of 5.0

Cracking Good Fun - Best of the Trilogy

Author: leeandfong from London
3 November 2013

The Outpost series of films is Movie-Marmite. It's about undead zombie Nazi's, which means you either love films like this or you don't. But if you love that crazy yet serious tone of early John Carpenter pics, or enjoy the balls-out wartime action of Where Eagles Dare, then you're going to have a blast with this film

In Rise of the Spetsnaz, a bunch of Russian special forces in WWII ambush a Nazi convoy and discover a secret base. They're captured, locked up and must escape, especially once they discover the Nazi's plan to experiment on them.

The origin story is simple, straight forward and told very well. Unlike the first Outpost, or the sequel, their are no ghost-zombies or extraneous sci-fi devices to absorb because the Nazis in 'Spetsnaz' haven't invented it yet. The more outrageous quantum-physics tech used in the other movies is still a future dream of the Nazis and is what they're striving to create; so rather than this being a man against science/supernatural film, it's more a balls-to-the-wall WWII action thriller.

Like the other films, the actors and film makers are taking this all deadly seriously. The acting (especially for this kind of film) is superb. Bryan Larkin channels Gerard Buttler and looks like a major action hero in waiting whilst uber-Nazi Michael McKell has the gravitas of the best Bond villains.

All in all, Rise of the Spetsnaz is the best popcorn actioner I've seen in a long time. It's great fun, suspenseful and the most accessible installment to the Outpost universe.

Worth a look for fans of the series.

Author: Prolox from Canada
24 June 2014

In this third film in the OUTPOST series, OUTPOST: RISE OF THE SPETSNAZ, focuses it's story on the last few days left of World War II where a group of Russian soldiers are captured & taken into an underground Nazi bunker, where the Nazi's have been running sadistic tests on those in their grasp & resurrecting the dead into hyper violent psychopaths. But one of the soldiers is determined not to fall into either trap & fights to survive against the Nazi's & the living dead, but can he survive? or will he to wind up an tortured human experiment, or worse a member of the living dead?

I will admit it, I'm not to big a fan of the OUTPOST series & to be truthful, the only reason I keep renting the movies is to keep my series of reviews up to date. Don't get me wrong, the OUTPOST series is not terrible, but I just feel like they could be so much better, the idea of the Nazi's raising the living dead to help fight their battles & shift the war in their favour is ripe with possibilities, but the series either doesn't know what to do with such a plot, or does, but badly mishandles it. The direction is fairly good & the acting manages to rise above the usual direct to DVD slop plaguing the shelves. The villains are pretty good & the special effects are fairly well done. There's a few suspenseful moments & the gore is good & plentiful so fans of the series will no doubt be satisfied. But if you didn't like the first two films, than don't bother with this one.

*** stars

Excellent if violent different take on the formula

Author: broomfieldboy from England
9 May 2014

This was marketed as the "origin" prequel to the premise outlined in the first two films. Personally it serves very well as both prequel and a stand alone WW2 action horror in its own right.

I have the Dutch blu ray and the film is gory and violent as befits the subject, if your for this film you know what to expect! The lead actor is excellent as Dholokov leading his "Russian dogs" as Klassner puts it, the film has several stand out scenes bookended by a very familiar old Russian man!

The colour palette has a muted look to enhance atmosphere and the Nazi testing bed for the zombie super soldier is very well realised.

Best kill in the film is Dholokov and the Nazi radio operator very well done.

Try to rent this film excellent unrelenting authentic violence and action you certainly feel and realise that the Rusdians were perhaps the toughest soldiers of all.

It does the job (just)

Author: bowmanblue from United Kingdom
17 May 2014

The first 'Outpost' film was a classic (well... a classic in the B-movie horror genre). However, the second part was totally unnecessary and not even worth trying to watch. Here we have the third instalment of the franchise. And it's a prequel/origins movie. But don't worry if you haven't seen parts 1 or 2. It also works as a stand-alone affair.

It's set in 1944 on the 'Eastern Front' where Russian commandos are raiding German bases. While doing so, they only go and discover that those dastardly Nazis are trying to resurrect the dead and turn them into 'super soldiers.' Naturally, the Nazis don't plan on letting this little secret get out and capture our Vodka-swigging heroes, leaving them to escape from the undead-ridden facility.

Okay, so the plot isn't going to blow your mind, but then the film isn't either. It's average. There's not much else to say, but, if you need reasons, I'll mention that the you won't care too much for the characters. The Russian heroes are tough, grunting macho men with no real depth, therefore you can hardly really relate to them. The Nazi commander of the base is a little too campy for the role. It's a gritty and serious film and he comes across like a cackling Bond villain.

Nothing much happens in the first twenty-five minutes, but, if you stick with it, at least you're rewarded with some violence and zombie-killing fun. Its strengths are that it's suitably violent and well-shot so as to make the most of the bleak and gloomy setting. And it's not that long either, so, once the twenty-five minutes are over, it moves swiftly for the rest of the duration.

But, ultimately, it's nothing new. And that's its major flaw. You've probably seen plenty of zombie movies. And many of them are better. Therefore, do you really need to watch another one? If you think the 'Nazi element' may make it different, just stick to Outpost (1) which is head and shoulders more fun than this. Or, if you can put up with subtitles and a lighter tone, try Dead Snow for a really gory and light-hearted approach to killing dead Nazis. Outpost 3 is just too little too late. You probably won't hate it, but you probably won't remember it by this time next week.

The prequel so much better than the sequel.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
29 October 2013

I would like this one if it was not the 3rd of it's line. I would like this one if it was not simply the end of an almost endless loop that they can mess with when ever they want to go back, and make a cheap movie. I would like this one if it was a stand alone story.

I don't like Outpost 1, or 2. The first 2 movies tried really hard, but were too dark, and working on such small budgets that you could only expect what you got. They were not all that great though, the first being just a retelling of the old Zombie bunker unsealed after 50 + years, and the second one tried to take that one further even though the original team had pretty much ended it.

So now we have the 3rd of this series which if it were on it's own merits would be an alright late 90's early 00's army movie with too much back story, and narration, so it is too bad those first two movies ever happened. Though as is more the case than would be expected these days you would not have this half decent pile of crap if it had not been for the fully steaming piles that proceeded it, and have still not gone back up.

If you have watched the first 2 then this movie will be as fun to you as Lobsterman from Mars once was, otherwise pass on by this film.

Author: Rob Bayley from United Kingdom
19 April 2014

I like science fiction, horror, thriller, I dislike bad science fiction, horror, thriller - and I hate being cheated by reviews and hype. I bought Outpost III having read some good reviews. Hopefully this review will stop you making the same mistake. I should have learned my lesson with Outpost I, low budget, bad script, bad acting, bad direction. I skipped Outpost II and tripped up on III. The review I read said that it was a definite boost to the franchise, fine acting, fine camera work, script, etc., etc. In my opinion all of those do not apply. Imagine Outpost I and effectively you have Outpost III. This is lazy film-making. When a Nazi quotes Shakespeare expect the worst and you will not be disappointed. When someone says Bryan Larkin puts in a fine performance ask - in which scene? When Nazi soldiers attack like retards and start filling up the corridors with their stupid dead bodies and you think - is this it, is this the movie? Answer yes and find something else to do. I am generous giving this 3 stars out of 10.

More Outposts

Author: kosmasp
22 November 2013

I guess there were a lot of Outposts back in World War 2! Obviously this is not based on a "true story" or whatever. Even if the Nazis where famous for experimenting on people, this is (as the previous installments) just an exaggeration of what is known to people. For entertainment purposes, this is solid. Not really great (there have been way better zombie movies), but not bad either.

We get a new story with a new villain, which means you don't really have to be aware of the other "Outpost" (movies). You have to dig those movies otherwise don't even rent it. Even if you are into Horror action movies, this doesn't mean you'll like this, especially because it's mostly dry (a bit more humor would've helped).