IMDb > "Political Animals" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Political Animals"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Political Animals" More at IMDbPro »

It's all in the mix?!

Author: Sfver from London, England
16 July 2012

Now this is how a tale should be told, (I had to double check that this was a limited series, as it seemed chock full of plot points that, although quite well paced, in lesser hands would have been dragged out for another 10 episodes).

Even though the tale starts at the end of one story then skips ahead to the second chapter of another, one doesn't get that disjointed feeling of disconnect that usually lets you know that they are hurrying you (and the story), along in order to get to the 'juicy' parts. The story throws in all the usual tropes in a political drama: sex, secrets, back room dealing, cheesy campaigning(no murder/cover-up though), but it does it all without seeming like its treading water, going through the motions, being exploitative or preaching to its audience.

In short, a well written piece of entertainment!

Great First Episode

Author: mlally_graves from United States
16 July 2012

This was a great first episode of Political Animal. The characters were cut from reality although ex-husband, ex-president character (Bud Hammond) was a bit over the top. I like Ciaran Hinds but he shouldn't come off like a joke if you want us to be sympathetic. Really enjoyed Sigourney and Carla Gugino (reporter). Ellen Burstyn, as always, rings true and looks gorgeous. Looking forward to seeing how the director takes this great first step and develops it into TV mini-series history. Lots of potential here if they don't become too predictable. Sigourney Weaver always plays great strong women and I'm happy to see that continue here. The writers have also made her fallible and vulnerable with respect to her family so she escapes a one-dimensional characterization.

Stunning Sigourney!

Author: Rabh17 from United States
19 July 2012

I've always had a warm spot for Sigourney Weaver. She's a forceful, powerful woman that can carry the screen center-stage without being the usual Hollywood Android Sex-Doll.

And this little Political Soapbox mini-series-- though predictable -- gives me a believable, deeply-emoted chronicle of a Political Woman. And yes, the plot-line can be described as formulaic, and the characterizations a bit over the top...but then sometimes 'Formula' Works.

And for all the people who, for some reason, are all in a snit over the 'Language'...Do you actually Believe that when Politicians are behind closed doors and under stress, do you actually BELIEVE that their speech is neatly choreographed in front of Nuns or something? I mean, I know that's what they WANT us to believe, the whole 'Family Values' thing, the 'Girl Scouts & Sugar Cookies' thing...But people-- even your Pastor or your Priest CURSE under stress. And Heck-- Politicians, ALL POLITICIANS, can talk a seaman into the gutter and Back. I know. I worked for the Mayor of New York back in the 80's. And I LEARNED how to curse fluently and at length from that man. But on Camera, he was always sugar cookies and Nicety.

Grow up and Face Reality, Please. This is an ADULT Drama, NOT the Disney Hour.

And back to Sigourney. This is a role that lets a woman radiate 'Gravitas'...and Ms. Weaver is fully 'ON'. Bravo!

This could be my new 'Kings' and 'West wing'

Author: blackflame-3 from United Kingdom
9 August 2012

Completely taken by surprise with this show. I honestly loved it.

Well written, good strong characters and lots of things going on, so no chance of it becoming a bore.

The series is definitely helped by the fact they have Sigourney Weaver playing the lead character. A perfect choice if I say so myself. I reckon if they had anybody else it may not have actually worked, so excellent casting.

I love the gritty aspect to the series if I am honest. The behind the doors language gives a far more sense of reality to the real world.

Loving the plots which shall remain a mystery to those who are thinking on whether to watch the show or not, but I would say, definitely watch it.

I hope the series does not get cancelled, I am left stunned by the US cable channels pulling the plug on many series and yet, the trash remains. Very puzzling.

Great casting, great show. If you liked West Wing you should like this.

Deliciously entertaining

Author: norks27
22 August 2012

In essence, I approached the show for one reason - Sigourney Weaver, but, there is so much more. For one, Ciaran Hinds has never disappointed and after a potentially flaky start which left me spinning I grew to adore the rambunctious 'Bud Hammond'. The scenes between Weaver and Hinds where joyful with some wonderful dialogue and fizzing one liners.

This is not a show which aims for gravitas or to seek out reality, this is hyper-real entertainment that strives to 'do the right thing', entertainment with a principled backbone, (provided you have a liberal sensibility). Issues are touched upon, played with, but not dissected, but you are no less satisfied. It's some kind of hybrid blend of 'Dirty Sexy Money' with elements of 'The West Wing'.

Sigourney Weaver anchors the show with a warmth and integrity that allows for the improbable plot devices to work, or, at the very least, be forgiven. The cast around her revelling in the task of matching her formidable screen presence.

There are flaws, sub plots that don't quite find there rhythm, improbable scenarios, yet I forgive these for the sheer enthusiasm on display. I usually prefer conspiracy driven TV, all earnest and hand wringing in its complexity, this, on the other hand, is a refreshing spritzer for the long hot summer. Sit back, relax, enjoy.

TJ seeks another 'fix', I for one seek another fix of Sigourney Weaver and co.

Over The Top Goodness

Author: Andy M from United States
12 August 2012

This is one of those shows that is great for the whole ensemble. It would suck without the people that are in it. Everyone does a great job for the role they have. It has apparently gotten so-so reviews, and I am not sure why. Yes, it's over-the-top, but what isn't? And that doesn't mean it is bad. It is crazy in a great way. Every character has his/her hangups. As with all TV shows, it shows everything that has happened/can go wrong, and makes it seem real. This show feels real. Maybe I am biased - I would vote for Elaine. I am sure that the creators knew that, because Secretary Clinton (inspiration for the show) is a lot like Elaine. I think that, because it is a mini-series, people are so harsh on it. It would do great as a full- series because it would give time to focus on what needs to be focused on. But hey, I love it and I think everyone will.

White House or bust!

Author: hittocere from United States
16 July 2012

Political Animals is a political drama based around a family that has been in the White House and a former first lady that wants to take the seat of Commander in Chief for herself. It is an easy series to follow, holds the audience's attention well, and it is full of characters that you'll want to either want to love, hate, or just plain slap.

If you ask my honest opinion of a summary for the series based off the first episode, its like watching a brilliant rendition of what it would have been like watching Secretary of State/Former First Lady Hilary Clinton run for the office of President of the United States from behind the scenes. Family scandals, adultery, nosy journalists, and backstabbing/lying politicians.

Great show, and waiting impatiently for a second episode. Great moments like the scene below. (not word for word, but you'll get the picture...)

"I didn't read your columns, but I did read your book. It was good by the way," Elaine. "...No one read my book." Female Journalist following Elaine "It may have had something to do with the title. Us Bi---es don't like to be called bi---es," Elaine with a knowing smile.

Sogorny Weaver is a Treasure

Author: Turtle Heart from Pantelleria, Italy
30 July 2012

Yes. Sigourney Weaver is a treasure. It is great to see her on the TV in this series, and she is perfectly cast. The writing coupled with her great spirit allows the artistic medium to look at political issues, in particular, issues affecting women, with an eye that is impossible via the MSM. The one problem I have is seeing reporters like Andrea Mitchell appearing "as themselves" in a fictional story. I believe Ms. Mitchell lowers, perhaps even destroys her credibility by showing up in a drama like this. It is a very distasteful trend in films these days, and I would point the finger of shame at any modern journalist who does this. I am also not at all a fan of the blow hard actor, Ciarán Hinds, but considering the intent of the show, I can get used to it. Perhaps his objectionable is why they cast him. It is great to have an actor of Ms. Weaver's stature in a drama like this. She can lend her formidable presence and integrity to the issues explored by the writers. The rest of the cast is quite god. The producers set up a formidable and interesting family, encompassing most of the red hot issues of our times.

So far so good

Author: phd_travel from United States
3 August 2012

A lot of things going on in this story based primarily on Hilary Clinton. They throw in so many issues from the token gay relationship to eating disorders. It's entertaining at least. There are some things taken directly from Hilary's life eg the Lewinsky scandal.

Sigourney is the best part of the show. Her intelligent look is more appropriate than Geena Davis in Commander in Chief. That show took itself a bit too seriously.

A few casting issues. Cirian Hinds is too frightening looking to be the ex President. He is more of a character actor for the villain or some Gothic character. Other cast members are good. Carla is quite well cast as the reporter. The story lines for her sons James and Sebastian seem a bit contrived.

Overall pretty good hope it succeeds.

"Political Animals" goes over the top and then some...

Author: (chuck-reilly) from Los Angeles
16 July 2012

"Political Animals" is a thinly disguised and badly written drama about the Clintons (but with more maladjusted children). Sigourney Weaver plays the Hillary Clinton part as a stand-up honest states-person, so one could immediately surmise that reality is completely thrown out the window. The best thing that can be said is that old Sigourney is much better looking than poor Hillary could ever hope to be...and she's a lot taller. The actor (his name escapes me) who plays her ex-husband and ex-president (Bud Hammond) is so over the top as a drooling predatory womanizer, that he's reduced Bill Clinton to the level of a caricature. As bad as Slick Willie was, he could've never been as salacious as this clown. Carla Gugino is around as a reporter who's only interested in the most intimate details about the former first family. She'll do just about anything for an inside scoop, and her character is about as sympathetic as an understudy for Joseph Goebbels. Luckily for viewers, Ellen Burstyn is in the cast as Sigourney's mother. She looks like a million bucks and her dialog is snappy and delivered with conviction. She must've had it stipulated in her contract to be able to recite intelligent lines, because she's the only one on this show who does. Ms. Weaver tries valiantly to do something with her part, but it just doesn't ring true. She almost seems like she's ready to break out laughing at any moment. As for the rest of the story,there are profanities galore from this dysfunctional family and the requisite gay love scene for those interested in that sort of thing. Halfway through the program, one of Ms. Weaver's exasperated staff members mutters, "If people only knew how bad we're running this government..." The same could be said for this entire production. Or to paraphrase the real Bill Clinton, "It's the writing, stupid!"