IMDb > Geography Club (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Geography Club More at IMDbPro »

Entertaining & Compelling

Author: guidoverweyen-1 from United States
7 October 2013

A very entertaining and compelling comedy. It's one of those timeless movies that stay relevant regardless of what decade you're in. It's an inspiring & touching comedy about friendship, identity & the courage to speak out. Reminds me of My So Called Life. It combines humor, wit and important life lessons. The whole cast did a great job, portraying complex characters, making it easy to identify with the situations they face. I especially loved Grant Harvey's portrayal of Nolan, one of the most complex characters of the movie. The filmmakers (Gary & Edmund Entin) succeed in capturing the reality that plays out across schools across the country, where being different can be frightening, awkward and disturbing. Fans of Brent Harbinger's book will love this movie, it captures the optimism and drama in a realistic and believable way. Probably geared towards young adults, it should be seen by anybody.

Feel good, charming and very inspiring-- if heavily flawed...

Author: Jesse Ung from New Zealand
23 December 2013

PROS:

Geography Club is an exceptionally motivated film. It's messages are so subtle and yet so prominent--and there are many that audiences can take from it. It's appeal, whilst obviously aimed towards adolescents, is genuine. It never feels cheap and doesn't try to be something that it isn't. The performances from it's cast are exceptional, and I feel inclined to note in particular Ted Ovilares whose incredible and heartbreaking portrayal of Brian Bund was perfect, and Cameron Deane Stewart who played a very identifiable and relatable Russell Middlebrook. It's funny, it's fast, it's surprisingly beautifully filmed, charming, feel good and inspiring pure and simple.

CONS:

Pros aside, Geography Club also suffers from it's share of cons. I'm not sure if this is more prominent to me because I have read the novel before, but please do not let this keep you from seeing the film.

The film's biggest flaw to me-- as a person who's read the novel-- is that it barely scrapes the surface of what the characters and their development, and their relationships were. For instance, Russell and Kevin's relationship, whilst sweetly and endearingly portrayed in the film, was simply not explored nearly enough to be able to understand the depth of his feelings for Kevin (and vice versa). In the book, (SPOILERS) the reason why Kevin and Russell's break up at the end is so heartbreaking is because they were still in love with each other after-wards, they both wanted different things as characters--Russell was prepared to be out whilst Kevin was not--and they knew that it couldn't work despite their feelings for each other. In the film, it's just not very satisfyingly portrayed.

What I'm trying to say is that there is so much more to these characters than what you see in the film--which really only barely scrapes the surface of them. Their motivations behind their decisions and their priorities-- what is important to them and what (and who) they care about is what makes them and their stories so compelling, and yes, I understand that liberties have to be taken when adapting written content to the screen, and while the way the characters are seen very much fit the narrative direction the film chose, I just didn't feel as if we spent enough time with them to truly understand their relationships--their growth or deterioration, and feel what they're going through.

However, all in all, Pros and Cons aside, Geography Club is a must see film for adolescents. I can almost guarantee that there will be something or someone in the film that any viewer will be able to identify with and or relate to. It's fast, it's funny, it's inspiring and it's flawed, but I cannot recommend it more. It's such an important film that I am sure viewers (especially those unfamiliar with the source material) will recognize how important it is. And while this may be my slightly disappointed reader side talking, but I also highly recommend you read the novels too (because... let's just say if you were quite saddened by the ending... make it to book 4--that is all I'll say).

Interesting movie with a good story...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
22 December 2013

I sat down to watch "Geography Club" without having read the synopsis, just thinking this to be another one of those teen comedy movies. I was surprised when I found out what it actually was all about.

Surprised, yeah, but not in a bad way. This movie is actually rather entertaining, but at the same time it is quite compelling and riveting. This is the kind of movie that you get swept away by, because the story is realistic and the characters even more so.

The story is about Russell (played by Cameron Deane Stewart) who is coming of age and is struggling with his sexuality. Standing at a crossroad of his sexuality, facing a very difficult social situation by outing his gay sexuality. He gets into a secret relationship with Kevin (played by Justin Deeley) who is on the college football team. Caught between his own morals and his friendship to Gunnar (played by Andrew Caldwell), Russell lives a double life.

Now, don't expect to be flat out laughing yourself to tears from this movie, because it is not that kind of comedy. This movie is more of a subtle comedy that is very realistic and tied to events that we can relate to in one way or another.

The movie is nicely told and directed by director Gary Entin. But even more importantly, it is so nicely acted out on the screen by every one on the cast list.

"Geography Club" is a very nice movie that you should take the time to sit down and watch.

Well acted, important topic, but oh! the liberties taken by the writers!

Author: mindnbody from United States
1 March 2014

Like several other reviewers before me, I just happened upon this movie and therefore had few expectations. And, like them, I was pleasantly surprised. As a mature gay man, I think the topic of bullying in schools is an important, yet complicated one: it is easy to sit back from the action and judge, but to experience it -- especially at such a confusing time of life -- isn't quite so black and white. So. ultimately, I thought it was a good film and was happy to have discovered it.

Then I went to IMDb to offer a rating - perhaps a "7" - and learned that the film was based on a series of books written by Brent Hartinger. So, I ran over to Audible.com and purchased the first and, upon completion of that, the remaining three books. Then, my opinion changed a bit.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the acting was actually quite good and that (for a small film) the production quality was higher than one might expect. However, the liberties that the screenplay writers took with the book's rich content were mind-boggling. As a life-long fan of both books and movies, I fully understand that strict translations of page to screen are nearly impossible and often fall flat when they do occur. However, the extent of the changes were so pervasive that it is nearly impossible to recognize some of the characters - in fact, reading the book helped me understand my confusion over the conflicting actions/statements of some of the characters in the film, who it appears were patched together from other characters in the book.

I think what bothers me more than anything is that I fear several of the liberties taken by the screen writers will really threaten any possibility of screen versions of the sequels in the book series. It's a shame, because the journey of these characters is a good and honest one that I think many teens would find compelling.

I awarded 5 points for tackling the topic in a realistic and accessible manner. An extra point for the nice portrayals by the young cast. It's still a good movie, but could easily have been a better one had the writers taken better care and trusted the original author. I encourage anyone interested in this movie or its topic to look for the books (hard copy, e-book, or audio book).

A powerful and touching film

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
1 March 2014

This film tells the story of a young man in high school, who is coming to terms with his sexuality with help with his new friends in the Geography Club.

"Geography Club" shows that a low budget and no frills film can be heartwarming and fun to watch. The plot follows a 16 years old man called Russell, who meets a football jock. He is terrified of coming out, but with the right support he lives happily. It is a great coming of age story, with emphasis on self acceptance; and living your own life for yourself and not anyone else. It is a powerful film, especially the scene where the bullied boy invites Russell to sit down. "Geography Club" is a powerful and touching film, and it breathes of positivity. I really enjoyed watching "Geography Club".

Amazing movie! I love it!

Author: pgrotta1 from United States
27 July 2014

This could contain spoilers:

Okay so this is an amazing film. I absolutely loved every minute of it and I have watched it more than 3 times. It has to be my favorite coming of age films! The character of Russell is amazing. The chemistry between the character Russell and Kevin is just absolutely great. The struggles in high school bullying and trying to have the strength of coming out and defending others. It just touched me. Personally, I am not out but I have a similar story on the Russell end of things and to be honest it has to be one my favorites because it does touch the heart. I do wish that the ending was slightly different but I just hope that this goes into a sequel.

It's a great film! Everyone should watch it!

A Bicycle Ride To Self-Acceptance

Author: derrickluciano
23 July 2014

This one plays like a straight teenage comedy film. But it's anything but an ordinary film.

It centers on gay Russell's acceptance of who he is and in the process, experiences heartbreaks, peer pressure and homophobia. And it doesn't help when his romantic interest Kevin is a scared, more closeted guy than he is. Along the way, you'll meet the funny best friend and buddy Gunnar and the desperate "trying to be girlfriend" Trish. You have the fearless Asian student Min who's the moderator of the Geography Club, a pseudonym for a lesbian and gay support group for the school. And you'll sympathize with the bullied but musically gifted Brian.

Good performances especially by Cameron and the supporting actors. I haven't read the book which according to other reviewers say that the relationship between Russell and Kevin is more threshed out. Here, you see the romantic moments between the two guys, but I would like to see more development on Kevin's character.

You will enjoy the film like I did. I especially liked the funny two daddy and baby homemade video at the end.

Relatable... So, so, good!

Author: josef9154 from Nashville, TN
11 May 2014

I related to the character and loved the movie. It is so good to have a new perspective of "coming of age" and i appreciate the actors so much. The actors truly did the characters justice and was so nice to see a movie that was not down played. I appreciate that so much! Further, we finally have a movie that relates to and represents universal love. I wish this is the way the world worked... universal acceptance and "no labels. " My favorite was Cameron Deane Stewart, who i Googled after watching "Bad Kids go to Hell," and did a fun little video search of prior movies. I'm sure most of you can picture me having a little crush on a straight character from "Bad Kids Go to Hell," and then coming across this movie where he is completely in a new role. As a gay male, i was ecstatic to see such diverse roles played by someone executed perfectly. He really got into character both times and i'm thankful i got to see him kiss a dude haha. Please do more and more movies... Straight or gay, i think this guy has mad acting skills. I wish he was cast as Alec from The Mortal Instruments. Blah- Please try to get on cast of a great book series soon for all of our sakes!

Definitely not the book!

Author: keojj-22 from Toronto
10 February 2014

This opinion might soil your viewing experience -- (SPOILER AHEAD).

Briefly, this film lacks the character development of Brent Hartinger's, "The Geography Club" largely due to the inaccuracies of its narrative. The screenplay greatly adjusted the chronology of events in the novel and in doing so the consequences of character interaction became watered down. Victim to cinematic alteration, the journey of Russell and Kevin's love affair becomes marginalized if not completely shallow. One of the pillars of the novel are the sacrifices that each character make to become closer to each other -- the ultimate being their involvement within the secret club -- creating the tension necessary to convey the pain of a crushing separation. In the film Kevin seems weak with selfish identity issues and Russell is warped into a less confident, more conflicted version of himself. Russell was never confused about his sexuality in the novel and yet in the film he was very hesitant to define his attractions as "gay" (a reflection of current views on male sexuality no doubt) . Kevin, in the novel was never outright selfish so much as he was afraid/preservationist of his popularity becoming compromised while cinematically he was a self-hating jock (specifically, he did want to be gay and preferred football) with parents who clearly knew he was closeted.

There is so much more:

- Ike was a liberal political activist in the novel and far from his cinematic portrayal - Teresa was the female equivalent of Kevin and far from accountable to Min - Gunnar was Norwegian, slightly vindictive, extremely smart and socially awkward.. not the "clown" - Min and Russell were far more close which made the Sting of Russell's treatment of Brian much worse - Where was Belinda? Oh wait, the heterosexual, overweight daughter of an alcoholic was morphed into Ike or Teresa.. - There is no science trip.

Just so much.. Read the book. You Can read the e-book for free.. just google it!!!

Good movie. Every step in the right direction is still a good step.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
12 December 2013

I have to first just say that they spent a lot of time filming the tree that George McFly falls out of, but I think I was already hooked by then(even though that would have been it for me, this movie would already have my approval). This is so well acted, and real. There are great performances by every single stereotype portrayed in this movie, and this movie is all stereotypes, but they all work. There is a great build up in the structure of the story, and the strength of the friendship between the two lead buddies is easily believable. But common how does Andrew Caldwell never age? Basically this is a more out of the closet, and less in the sound booth Glee without the need for all the singing. I Enjoyed the story, and really liked the characters (Meaghan Martin and Scott Bakula are just a bonus) I would recommend this for a good heartwarmer with no real surprises, but good none the less.