IMDb > Grave Encounters 2 (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Grave Disappointment

Author: Bill_the_Pirate from United States
2 October 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed the first Grave Encounters. I think it's one of the best of the found footage movies I've ever seen. Granted, none of the actors were in danger of an Oscar nomination, but the characters were believable and got you involved in the story, the clichés were kept to a minimum, and most importantly, the atmosphere and the scares worked, and they held up to repeated viewings. Grave Encounters 2 should be renamed Grave Disappointment, imho. I spent the first twenty minutes having to double-check to make sure I had the right movie, and once the story actually got started, it seemed to me the movie couldn't make up its mind as to what it was trying to be. Parts of it felt like a spoof of the original, and parts felt like a shot-for-shot remake. There were blatant rip-offs of REC and Evil Dead 2, among others. The lead couldn't seem to make up his mind whether he was channeling Lance Preston's character from the first movie, or the kid from Terminator 2. The other characters were wooden or clichés, with a scream queen who made you want to scream every time she was in a scene. The one original element to the story line was another rip-off, this time of 1408. And the ending was absolutely pathetic, and unfortunately, strongly hinted at yet another travesty of a sequel.

Disappointing sequel doesn't even try.

Author: jaguiar313 from USA
7 November 2012

Grave Encounters wasn't all that original a found footage horror but, The Vicious Brothers did have some clever fun with the conventions and made an entertaining and spooky tale of a crew of a paranormal investigation show coming up against something they can't handle at an abandoned insane asylum. Sadly, all that cleverness and tongue in cheek creepy fun is gone for this uninspired sequel. Encounters 2 takes The Blair Witch 2 route and makes it a film about the film. Sadly the film also makes some of that sequels same mistakes. This time we have movie fan and amateur filmmaker, Alex Wright getting cryptic e-mails from a mysterious benefactor known only as Death Awaits. These messages hint that Grave Encounters was not just a movie, in fact it was quite real and the actors are all really missing. So, Alex grabs his camera and friends/crew and sets off to investigate. Bad idea. First problem is that this flick keeps the found footage motif yet, never at any time does it give us the vibe that it is actual footage and not just a movie. The film then tediously takes over 40 minutes to finally get our characters into the asylum, after a very "Catfish" first act, and once we're there, we are treated to a retread of Grave Encounters part 1 that also blatantly lifts scenes directly from previous found footage flicks like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity. At least the previous flick did so with some cleverness. Maybe it's because The Vicious Brothers hand the directing reigns to John Poliquin who gives us a film that is populated with pretentious and annoying characters and comes across as very set up and phony instead of spooky and scary. But, he directs from their script so they share blame for what is obviously a sequel thrown together to take quick advantage of the minor attention the first film received. And it shows. Not only is the film lifeless and scare-less but, completely devoid of the cleverness and sly humor that garnered the first flick it's reputation. But, worst still, the final act descends into complete silliness when it introduces a character from the first flick into the mix and just falls apart. Add to that the flick is overlong at an hour and forty minutes and takes itself way too seriously. The Vicious Brothers knew they were having fun and let the audience in on it. Director Poliquin is trying to make a straight horror when the convoluted script desperately wants to wink at it's audience like the first film did. The recent Paranormal Activity 4 was accused by many as a lazy cash grab but, that film was at least still entertaining and gave us likable characters and had a nice sense of humor to give it some fun. Grave Encounters 2 doesn't even try. Disappointing follow-up especially considering The Vicious Brothers showed such potential in their first feature.

Okay I guess?

Author: Douglobacki from United States
1 October 2012

I think the fact it's a sequel really hurt the movie, but then again the movie wouldn't exist without the first one. First off you must know going into this I knew what to expect, a "found footage" horror film sequel. Though I enjoy both types of movie those two combined just doesn't sound too great (except REC1 and REC2.. REC3 was an abomination). I got what I expected and was alright with it.

The Bad: Normally movies in this category if not always have acting rated a C (normal) which is fine. I'll give the acting here a C-, it wasn't on par but not bad enough to make the movie experience dreadful The plot really struggled to connect with the first movie, and the movie's own plot was good but poorly executed. The characters were not likable and showed no growth but I think I could say that for every 'found footage' film. Some of the scares were the same from the first movie which took away from the surprise factor. I could foresee a lot of what was going to happen just based of the first movie but I guess when you're basically recreating the same film that happens. The characters make stupid choices which always bothers me though

The Good: It wasn't terrible? Some of the scares were creepy nothing to dramatic. In the end I got what I expected, an alright found footage film and a probably 'worse than the first' sequel.

Conclusion: If you're bored yeah I'd suggest it.

Who should watch it: Grave Encounters Fan? Sure. Found footage fans? Sure. Horror fans? Maybe. None of the above? No.

Really?

Author: deadsnow from United States
20 December 2012

Wow. Where to begin... I actually enjoyed the 1st film a lot but this was just awful. I was instantly annoyed w/ the two main characters. Not only was their acting terrible but everything else about them was horrible also. Trevors voice almost made me turn it off right away. He sounds like a tool version of the handicapped kid from Breaking Bad. There are no scares whatsoever and when they do try for scares it's just the same stuff as part one. It also takes about 40min for anything to get going in the movie. Such a let down. It is perfect for the viewers around the age of 12. I've never written about a movie on here before but this one totally needed to be written to help prevent anyone from viewing this garbage. Please do not make this a trilogy.

Trashes the first one completely

Author: mantass132 from Lithuania
7 October 2012

The first grave encounters was a great horror movie, great atmosphere keeps you shaking to see what happens next. This one made me think that it's a joke. The movie should be left without a sequel, cause this movie just doesn't fit in with the first one at all. The plot holes, the constant screaming, terrible acting, stupid character decisions and very cheap special effects, just don't let you enjoy the movie. Over all the idea may be good, but this is just... If you like horror movies give this a pass and go waste time with better movies. Leave this one behind and go watch the first one if you want a horrifying experience, just don't waste your time.

First Movie Was Nice Surprise, This Is Not

Author: shaososa (shaososa@yahoo.com) from Tacoma, WA
9 June 2013

The first Grave Encounters was a decent enough found footage horror flick that had just enough humor and jump scenes to make it a somewhat likable watch. This sequel follows a young filmmaker who is convinced the events depicted in the first Grave Encounters are real. He sets out with his crew in tow to make a documentary detailing his findings.

The problem with Grave Encounters 2 is it has lost any cool or fun factor from the original. This is a pretty much a bland rehashing with new, boring characters in the same, now boring setting of a closed down hospital.

The first Grave Encounters was a reminder that you can sometimes find something to like in a low budget, no name of a movie streaming on Netflix. Grave Encounters 2 is a reminder that most the low budget, no name movies streaming on Netflix suck.

First the best, second the worst.

Author: sherrytrifle from United Kingdom
5 October 2012

I just watched GE2 and I'm left feeling cheated out of a scare.

I'm not a fan of the horror genre, but I suitably enjoyed the first for I found the acting and suspense surprisingly original.

The story for me lacks direction, and although there are hints of a plot with twists that lay up ahead, it fails to come to fruition. Any of the jumpy scenes could easily have been chucked in from the first.

For example, the crazy security officer (or so at first he appears) could have transpired to be a good plot avenue, but instead he is killed of in a vulgar scene lacking suspense or reason. The incarcerated patient they stumble upon seems full of a plot fulfilling back story only to fall into the predictably cheesy horror movie scenario seen countless times before.

To top it all off, it takes around an hour to feel any connection with Richard, the main character (as a consequence of the writing not acting), only to feel cheated by the ending.

If like me you couldn't make up your mind whether the first was genius or trash, steer clear.

Great Encounters

Author: FilmGeek89 from United Kingdom
9 November 2012

Not going to bore you, so let me be frank.

I really enjoyed it. Watch this film with no expectations in regards to the first and you will to. The problem is people expect way to much from these fairly low budget films. This film does its job, make you feel uneasy and some good scares. It makes me laugh when critics on here are like 'It was so boring, not scary at all, a waste of time' lol I bet you at some point in the movie they were like "s*&t!" lol.

Just stop trying so hard to hate and enjoy. I rate this a high 6/10, gave the first one 7/10.

Follow me on twitter and we can exchange film opinions and recommendations: FilmGeek89

Mediocre Sequel but worth a watch for fans

Author: Alan C from Ireland
7 October 2012

I wasn't expecting much from this movie. I saw the first movie "Grave Encounters" and loved it. There were scenes in that movie that genuinely creeped me out and I was excited to see what they would do this time around.

John Poliquin directs the sequel, written by the original writers 'The Vicious Brothers'. Alex Wright, a film student is convinced that the first movie was in fact real and decides to visit the hospital where the film was shot to investigate for himself and shoot a documentary. How this happens though seemed improbable to me. Alex is busy shooting a student movie when he receives a mysterious video showing one of the actors from the grave encounters movie. It doesn't take much to convince him to drop everything including filming of his movie to fly to Vancouver Canada with a crew to visit the hospital.

It takes an exhausting 35 minutes before Alex and his crew actually reach the creepy hospital and it doesn't take long before things go wrong and they become trapped in the building.. The action starts to pick up a little then but I found the scares were too similar to the first movie. I got the feeling at times that the film was parodying itself. The characters often view scenes from the film and comment on "the lame CGI affects". And we are constantly reminded of the first film. For me though that had the effect of taking me out of the film a little.

I recommend the movie to fans of the first. I would have liked to see some more creative scares. There are no scenes that stick out for me and it lacked the level of tension that the first movie had.

Worst then the first!

Author: atinder from United Kingdom
3 October 2012

Not a fan of first movie, there were a lot horror fans who really enjoyed it, I had to it see twice, I must of missed something on my first watch however I felt the same on second watch, but still going to say the first movie id so much better then this silly sequel.

It's start of with people number of people review the first movie, then kind have jabs at found footage movies near the start of the movie. then it Kinda of drags for next 45 minutes.

For the first half hour we follow the teens who are making there own really bad slasher movie in this movie. then finally get building 35 mins mark of the movie

While teens are talking about the first, we see them showing on there phones and internet about first movie, here and there in this movie.

After 45 mark the things start going bump, here and there, for next 15 minutes, with a lot screaming and running around.

I did jump with the first scare scene in the movie, then later scary scenes, I just found really funny, the creature you can see in poster, I did not find it scary at all in this movie.

Then Lance makes long hair come back near the last half hour in the movie, still eating rats by the way, then the last hour was really about him, how crazy he has become being trapped in the building and some connection to the other side.

Won't ruin ending, cause, Well tell you Truth that I didn't really get it.

2 out of 10 , I gave first 4 out of 10