IMDb > Heart of the Country (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Heart of the Country More at IMDbPro »

Shockingly Awful

Author: lomaxbrit from United States
16 October 2013

This film firstly imitated a Sunday morning special but with no backbone to it. The scenery is beautiful yes, and so is Jana but she doesn't use her acting chops in this film, and characters are left undeveloped. What happened to the doctor that Jana's character was flirting with here? Why does she leave him for the husband she left in NY? and relationships are nothing more than face value? The film was shot well and looks all fine but the story needs a heavy dose of character development script writing badly. However in consideration the two leads Jana Kramer and Gerald McRaney are great for their roles.

I don't understand what Jana sees in this film that she took the time to make it

Very Nice All American Movie

Author: davisonhorst from Florida
9 December 2013

Heart of the Country was filmed in Wilmington, NC the exact same place as the filming of One Tree Hill. So Jana Kramer, who was a star attraction on One Tree Hill, should have felt right at home. First of all I'm quite a bit older than Jana but I fell in love with her from the moment I saw her as Alex on One Tree Hill. Actually I liked the part she played on One Tree Hill better than in this movie. However, she does a very credible job here. She has an incredible amount of sex appeal, which was very evident in One Tree Hill and which was still evident in Heart of the Country. Her sex appeal is that she is very sweet and probably makes every guy wish they knew her up front and personal. Heart of the Country was a typical but nice story of small town girl who goes to NYC to further her singing career, meets a very wealthy guy, falls in love, gets married, and then he runs into high finance trouble and ends up in jail. Assets are frozen and so Faith goes home to NC to regroup and to be with her dad and sister. Near the end she reconciles with her husband, who is really a decent guy. Her Doctor friend in NC, who has feelings for her, loses out. In that regard the movie may become disappointing to some. But, in real life it usually ends up the way that it finally did. Most married couples do reconcile after they separate for awhile. After all, they were in love when they married. All in all a nice movie that did not make me want to jump off a cliff when it was over like so much of the trash out of Hollywood these days.

Nice Movie With Good Values

Author: mbatchelor-22095
28 August 2015

I think I enjoyed Gerald McRaney the most as Calvin, the father in the movie. He was great at playing a guy with a gruff exterior, but a heart of gold who'd do anything for his girls. I did kinda want to see her end up with the doctor, but in the end she chose to honor her wedding vows, which I think sends an awesome message. There aren't enough movies being made today that portray a Biblical world view. Jana Kramer is a beautiful lady with a beautiful voice; she was great in the role of Faith. I liked that Luke fessed up to what he did and took his knocks, and the overall theme of the movie of the importance of family. I watched it on Netflix; feel like it was a couple hours well spent; in the end I felt uplifted by this nice little movie.

Good message, but it drags

Author: Medic2762 from United States
25 July 2014

The main message of this movie seems to be forgiveness and reconciliation. It's a modern prodigal son and prodigal daughter story. It has some good core Christian values, including forgiveness, marriage fidelity, and a commitment to marriage - for better or worse - as a marriage is reconciled after seemingly impossible circumstances.

It's well acted, and it has some big Hollywood names in it. Even though the point of the movie eventually becomes obvious, there doesn't really seem to be a true plot line through the film. It drags, and I was left rather bored at times.

There are a couple inappropriate words if you want to be sensitive with your kids watching it, but nothing major. In all it was a good, clean film, which is why we gave it 5 stars, otherwise it may have been a lower rating.

Pretty Good Flick

Author: jakeowen4333 from United States
26 October 2013

This is a pretty good flick for someone who wants to see JANA KRAMER in a movie; HEART OF THE COUNTRY is a good flick to get that fill and I would suggest it - Another film she stars in is the military themed character drama APPROACHING MIDNIGHT which I personally like better, because her character in 'Approaching Midnight' is more dynamic, dramatic, comical and romantic all at the same time.

However 'Heart of the Country' is rated PG like 'Approaching Midnight,' and for those who have kids and need a fairly PG rated picture to watch (considering a lot of television nowwadays is pushing the edge). Then this works because there isn't anything I felt was too much. BUT if you are a fan of JANA KRAMER then you will enjoy seeing her act in this picture, since country music has taken her from the world of television series like One Tree Hill, AND a lot of people miss her as an actress. She's a good actress.

Great movie

Author: jordannelson421
13 October 2013

This heartfelt movie told a story of real life issues that occur during relationships in this century. The only thing that I wished would had happened is that she ended up with the doctor, Lee. Even though she didn't end up with Lee, there was no reason to dislike the movie. Her husband tried to win her back. The whole reason he was in his predicament was because Faith wanted him to go on his own, away from his father and brother. His brother gave her dad the chance to see the cancer specialist and he pleaded guilty for his wrongdoings. He wasn't a jerk. He tried to repair their relationship and in the end he did. This movie is a tearjerker that will leave you on the front of your seat till the ending.

Acting was fine!

Author: pcpersons2
8 October 2013

I liked the acting, BUT it didn't cover up the lack of story line. My huge spoiler is that she ends up with the WRONG guy. I watch these movies so that I can feel drawn to the characters and wish them well. Well, I get she was married, but her husband was a ugly, a jerk, and did I mention ugly? It didn't even help my thoughts by the fact that she ended up pregnant. In fact, that made me want to throw up. She had a great guy she could have moved on with. I actually enjoyed the movie until the ending, but the way it ended was just wrong. So, Jana Cramer, better luck next time. Also, if I was married into that family I would have jumped off a bridge. I just felt bad for the guy that lost his heart to her. In my opinion the writers led you to believe that he would be the one to end up with the girl. It sucked big time.

Movie about Love, Family and Commitment

Author: rach-87723 from United States
18 February 2017

I really enjoyed this movie. The acting was great. This movie was about unconditional love, forgiveness, commitment and family. It took me a little while to warm up to the husband and also his competition. The father was such a strong and caring man. I loved the closeness he had with his daughters, and then the typical relationship between sisters. This movie touched my heart in so many personal ways. There is one word that sums this movie up and that is beautiful.....the songs, scenery and Jana. I highly recommend this movie.

romantic drama with Christian values

Author: e
19 January 2017

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of acting, beautiful scenery, but even more so by the content of this movie. It is extremely refreshing to watch a romantic movie that values marriage. So many other romantic dramas or comedies that I have watched put all the emphasis on the "chemistry" between two characters. It is common to see relationships develop based on physical attraction and thus not surprising to commonly see characters leave their spouse for another "truer love". However, in this movie I was very pleased to see the characters work out a relationship even when it got downright hard... and even when temptation arises. I feel this movie paints a more realistic picture of what real life relationships are like. We often will make mistakes and disappoint and sometimes not even feel the "warm fuzzies" anymore... it takes grace and forgiveness and work to get that "music" back that was there in the beginning. This is the kind of romantic movie I would want my daughters to watch to balance the message that is the "norm" these days.

Jana Kramer's 2nd best film since "Approaching Midnight"

Author: jessicajaglowski from New Orleans, LA
8 August 2016

I would call this Jana Kramer's 2nd best film since "Approaching Midnight". Jana in this one stars as Faith, in a story based on the prodigal son returning home (however this is the prodigal daughter). Approaching Midnight takes better advantage of her acting chops and it was theatrical while this picture was a direct to video piece. I heard that this was a vehicle to promote Jana's music but I was hoping for more of her tracks to be played throughout the movie in subtle ways. I would watch this movie again on DVD however because of Jerry McRaney a great actor with a solid part that was given to him. The locations are pretty solid for this movie too. I enjoyed seeing the south on camera. I think more films should be filming in the south and Heart of the Country takes advantage of some great locations.