IMDb > Enter the Dangerous Mind (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Surprisingly good!

Author: weezebumble from Australia
9 February 2015

**********SOME SPOILERS*************

I wasn't expecting much from this when I looked on IMDb before watching it. Turns out that the movie is lingering, dark, and realistic. A couple of made-for-TV style moments, but nothing that really detracted. In terms of the acting, I was engaged by it and felt there was subtlety and nuance.

It did a good job of defining the line between softer and empathetic approaches to extreme mental health issues and the medical model which aims to kill and destroy deviant and unacceptable thoughts and behaviours. I liked the interplay of these opposing views.

Raised interesting questions like how far would a compassionate person (in this case, a well devised figure of a social worker) go to protect human life. And when do we apply judgement/control and when should we have mercy/empathy on people that don't share common human values with the "rest of us". Seems that we are no closer to knowing how to regard the extraordinary functioning of the human psyche.

Avoid bad reviews and critics, great movie for a sat night!

Author: maxvent from Spain
16 February 2015

This movie was SO cool that I watched it twice the same night, critics should have a drink before watchings movies so they could relax a little.

What makes this movie SO cool? it gives you the chance to experience in first person what a schizophrenic probably feels, and it takes you in a one hell of ride, but if you're not open to it, probably you'll start rejecting the whole idea pretty much like critics.

EDM music was cleverly used in the film, Reza Safinia songs created a great atmosphere into this weird trip.

The acting was superb for Jake Hoffman, Nikki Reed was OK, the only one I regret for the role was Thomas Dekker.

Small spoiler ahead: You can view the movie from three different crazy angles: of course the movies follows the first angle from Jim perspective, but a lot more makes sense when you give it a second watch and see it from Wendy or the Social Worker side.

Probably one of the best psycho thrillers I've seen in a while. Give it a try.

Possibly one of the best movies I've seen thus far this year

Author: Bill C
26 February 2015

It's not as brutal as I thought it would be, but it's fairly exciting. My wife and I both enjoyed this movie. Directed well. Excellent acting. Great story (I was speculating and anticipating for much of the film). A pinch of shock value. What more could you ask for?

If I had a "must watch" list this could be in the top 10. I've read some poor reviews of this film, and I simply can't wrap my head around that. I'm assuming these were bias reviews by viewers who dislike horror/thriller films. Even if you don't enjoy them, this movie is still refreshingly well put together. I was never bored at any time. The casting was also very good.

Enter the dangerous mind

Author: lrtb-34348
30 July 2016

Can you imagine living your whole life with a voice in your head talking to you 24/7 ? Can you imagine how it must feel to not have a single minute of silence in your whole life ? This is what this movie is about.

The characters are well written, you can feel some kind of empathy with everyone of them. The direction and the timing are not bad, and the photography, even that is not an ambitious one, is good, standard one with no risking frames.

All in all a very entertaining movie, with some open plots, in less than 1 hour and half.

A Complex Subject Resulting in Average Psychological B-Movie

Author: LeonLouisRicci from United States
23 September 2015

Maybe Biting a bit more than They can Chew, these Low-Budget Filmmakers are on Shaky Ground when it comes to the Conceit Proclaiming its Ability to Convey the Inner-Workings of a very Troubled Psyche.

But, the Movie does Manage to be somewhat Intriguing and somewhat Complex for such a Minimum working Budget. The Movie Looks Good and the Soundtrack is Reflective of its Pathological subject matter.

It is want to Give Us more than it can Deliver. Combing, Stalker, Serial-Killer, and Horror Movie Tropes, the Film manages to Touch these Things for an OK Entertainment, there just isn't Enough Time or Money to Due any of it Justice and it Ends Up being an Average B-Movie at Best and a big Disappointment at Worst.

Still, Worth a Watch for Fans of the Psychological Thriller and B-Movies, it is more Emotional than Visceral, so those expecting a lot of the Red Stuff will No Doubt come Un-Glued and Eviscerate.

A great concept wasted due to a lacking screenplay and incompetent directing choices

Author: trublu215 from United States
12 February 2015

Enter the Dangerous Mind had a great concept that was refreshing and extremely cerebral, honestly, it sounded great. Unfortunately for anyone looking forward to this film, this was quite possibly not only one of the worst films I've seen in a while but it also features some of the worst acting I've seen since Troll 2. The only way to describe this film in a nutshell is that it is like watching Uwe Boll emulate Nicolas Winding Refn. It is horrendous. The story follows a young dubstep DJ by the name of Jim who falls for a beautiful social worker only to have voices in his head drive him insane. While this sounds like a nice blend of cerebral psychological romantic drama mixed with a bit of horror, it is anything but. It is essentially a terribly acted film about the outcast getting the pretty girl only to have his nerves get the best of him in the form of inner demon voices that tell him to do terrible things by the end of it all. The acting in this film is abysmal, starring a slew of B-movie actors such as Jake Hoffman, Thomas Dekker, and Nikki Reed, it sinks in a matter of seconds as the acting gets to be so bad that you start to question whether this is supposed to be a hard hitting psycho-drama or a really bad comedy. My biggest problem with this film is Hoffman as Jim. He is unbelievable in every frame and approaches his character's musical tendencies as if he doesn't have a clue. Now, I'm not sure how Hoffman prepared for this role but judging from what we see on screen, I doubt he even knew what dubstep was let alone how to make it. Nikki Reed wasn't as bad as the rest of the pack, but it still would have been nice to see her try just a little bit. The true artistic criminals here are the directors, Youssef Delara and Victor Teran, the latter being the screenwriter as well. Delara and Teran have absolutely no idea how to keep up the pace. Just because your film is a brisk 88 minutes, doesn't mean that it is automatically going to be paced well. Quite the contrary, this film is paced terribly and has no balance to it whatsoever. One minute we're in a love story, the next minute we are plagued by Delara and Teran's half assed attempts at cerebral cinema, it makes for a brutally and painfully boring film that never clicks. Overall, if you have the chance to see this film, don't...run as far and as fast as you can and if you think you're far enough, you're not, keep running until you forget the name of this terrible, ridiculous attempt at a really cool concept.

Too bad about the horrible soundtrack....

Author: dancinqueen47 from United States
19 July 2015

I'm trying to avoid spoilers here, but just to be safe, I'm marking this as possibly containing spoilers.

For starters, if it hadn't been for the horrific, disturbing "music" I would have given this 7 stars. As it was, with the "music" being completely unbearable, I turned on the captioning & turned the volume almost off (I was streaming on Netflix). Unless you're as mentally disturbed as the lead character, I advise you to do the same.

All the actors did a good job portraying their characters, believably.

The story and subject matter were actually pretty interesting to me and and I rarely like or watch bloody horror films, what is what I consider this to be - just my opinion.

I think this is the first film I've seen that gave me, I think, a realistic view of what it's like to suffer from schizophrenia - hearing voices and experiencing hallucinations.

All in all, not too bad. Unfortunately, I think the "music" was overdone and not necessary to portray the mental illness of a couple of the characters - which is, what I think the film makers believed would be helpful. It was not and it brought my rating down, considerably.

Great psychological drama/thriller

Author: c-anya-o-la
3 March 2015

Great film! better than 'Birdman'!!! Not sure who left that lengthy bash-fest spoiler... possibly someone cut from the production crew?!

I would keep in mind this film is on an indie budget. the actors performed well, & the story-line was on point. overall enjoyable, intriguing & believable. Well done!

I'd actually go as far as saying this film is MUCH better than 'Birdman'. Although they both explore similar Psychological dramas... where an individual loses their grip & suffers from a psychological break from reality, the difference between the two films is that this film, 'Enter the Dangerous Mind', goes deeper... darker & focuses more on the story-line. In contrast 'Birdman' focuses more on the cinematic elements & relies heavily on the star-power of Michael Keaton. I give this an 8/10... worth watching!

Sick and entertaining movie!

Author: Rudolf Ravbar from Croatia
8 February 2015

Enter the Dangerous Mind is the sickest movie I ever watched! This review is not going to be long because in every word I can spoil you something.

A reclusive American composer Jim (Jake Hoffman) with an online following has a tentative romance with a beautiful social worker. This offers a glimmer of hope, but his mind fractures as the voices in his head grow louder and more destructive.

However, Jim has acted really good. Other characters acted okay, nothing special. The music in this movie (Dubstep and electronic) is pretty cool and every single one definitely fits in act and movie.Movie is, surprisingly, not predictive if you didn't watch the trailer, because from a trailer you can predict a lot.

What I don't like in this movie, well, some scenes are too long, some are cut so fast and that really catches the eye. I don't like changing movie speed in the rhythm of music. Some parts of a movie are unnecessary.

However, the movie is entertaining and you will enjoy it if you are s fan of the horror genre or if you like really sick movies.