IMDb > "Golden Boy" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Golden Boy"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Golden Boy" More at IMDbPro »

Compelling well crafted drama With tons of potential

Author: yellamokram from United States
1 March 2013

At first glance it may appear as a basic crime investigation show but that's purely surface. Underneath the familiar exterior lies a show with a lot more to say about morality, good and evil and other matters of character. The main character has a duality about him that will keep you watching his every move from start to finish. While i suspect people will say the case they working on is weak from a story point of view, I would say the cases in this show are meant to be far less interesting than the way the the characters manipulate them. Watching our golden boy make decisions to further his career is what I feel will be the main draw of this show. Seeing his ambition and pride blind him and causing lapses in judgement or conscience is where the real drama will shine through.

The way the writers have him navigate between the light and dark can make this show as high a caliber as Breaking Bad, if they were to make the title a misnomer. Watching our protagonist start slowly down a path of corruption to further his career and protect his sister could make this a great character study.

The acting is the last thing I will touch on and I will say its superb for a pilot episode. Theo James performance is perfectly layered with presenting us with a supercop exterior but giving us glimpses of fear and uncertainty that his character has to contend with.

Chi Mcbride brings his veteran acting skills which compliment his characters veteran status on the police force, creating one of the most believable and sympathetic performances of a cop on television.

Holt Mcallany while in just a supporting role manages to steal each scene hes in with a certain charm and levity that he brings to his character. The closest thing to comic relief in the show his character of detective Joe Diaco could turn out to be a fan favorite if given more screen time.

Golden boy is a show that's well worth your time if you're tired of all of the run of the mill crime investigation shows and you're looking for a cop show that could contain a rich and meaningful character arc.

Fantastic new drama that you simply can't not love!

Author: msalmank from Pakistan
25 March 2013

I pretty much got addicted to Golden Boy from the very first episode, just like I loved Southland. Both are extremely different dramas and unique in their own manner from the increasing number of cop-dramas out there.

The actors are marvellous, the score is tremendous, and the main/background story captivating. Loved every single episode so far, and keeping my fingers crossed that this one stays around for long and doesn't loose what it's got going for it.

The case of the week so far in each episode has been presented and directed with perfection, not leaving much room for complaints. And the duality of the main character keeps you watching his every move from start to finish.

The premise' sort of reminds me of Jack & Bobby (another series that I loved - which unfortunately was canceled after one superb season). Knowing where the main character ends up and seeing him pave his way by making decisions to further his career has a different appeal to it. He's making mistakes, learning, and you can see his relationship with his partner strengthen with each case.

Chi McBride as a veteran cop shines. And Theo James delivers a superb performance overall... No complaints there!

This is a show that's worth your time. Give it a watch, hopefully you won't be disappointed.

I LOVE this show after 1 episode!

Author: heatherg23 from United States
7 March 2013

Finally something different other than a bunch of cops that are all best friends, busting criminals together, day after day....(hello Law and Order). There's conflicts between them, competitiveness between them, diverse characters, love hate relationships etc... I'm glad that there's a sister for the main character. There's a story besides catching bad guys. Something different is always welcome! I caught the 2nd episode (didn't hear about the show before that)and thought it was GREAT! I'm watching the pilot online to catch up on it. Great eye-candy too!! Never hurts does it ladies?? I'm so sick of my favorite shows getting canceled so I hope it stays a regular on the network! Heather

LOVE THIS SHOW- Thank you for a great show!!

Author: annajriley from Virginia, USA
13 March 2013

This show is as good as TV can get. The characters are carefully built and complicated - you have to watch the series from episode 1, you cant watch a random episode and understand them - love the plots and how they are complicated, and the police politics, not shown in any other cop show I've seen. And the casting is so perfect!! love it so much, my favorite TV show. The way it shows the future and the present seemed strange at first and I thought I didn't like that method of jumping around, but now I love it because it makes the story have more depth and meaning, and it keeps me wanting to find out the rest of the story - and the star of the show is SO handsome!! His partner is so perfect for his part too. this review has to be a minimum of 10 lines gee thats long

Finally a great new crime drama!

Author: al-nondorf from Chicago
27 February 2013

Ever since the original Law and Order was taken off the air, I've been looking for a new crime drama to entertain me. With Golden Boy, it appears to have finally come! In the Pilot episode the characters are developing quickly and their stories are coming together right out of the gate (top notch writing.) The flashes forward are a nice touch and the final scene of the pilot has me hooked. The hint of Walter Clark's past are very intriguing, and the fact that he is a "Jr." has me wanting for more.

In a market flooded with crime drama's, it appears Golden Boy has a found it's niche.

An Amazing Show, With an Amazing Cast, and LOTS of Potential

Author: ksellers3-1 from United States
27 February 2013

"Golden Boy", is the most original cop drama since, "Law and Order"! Rarely do you see law enforcement television dramas from a rookie's perspective. The story is told from the point of view of the fictional Director of the FBI, a golden boy, who is the youngest ever to head the FBI. Through an episode long flashback, he chronicles his rise in the ranks, allowing viewers to experience his triumphs and shortcomings as a rookie homicide detective. I just hope that the episode long flashbacks are a tad bit shorter, allowing his present day position as FBI Director to be experienced also.

I've never seen actor Theo James, who portrays the golden boy, rookie homicide detective, in a movie or TV series (that I can remember). His chemistry with his veteran homicide detective partner, portrayed by Chi McBride, is hilarious at times. Overall, you can sense that there is a competitive streak in all of the detectives, an innate need to establish dominance among their coworkers, thereby chiseling their presence within the homicide unit. You get the feeling that some detectives are willing to intentionally sabotage their fellow detectives careers, in order to make themselves look good. It's fulfilling to see the veteran detective guard and steer his rookie partner through all the bureaucratic B/S.

Canceled prematurely

Author: Maniac-9 from St. Louis, MO
16 May 2013

This show could've been a really good and long running show if it was given a chance. 13 episodes is all we get though. Network TV has really gone in the crapper lately where when they finally put together a good show they give up on the show shortly after debuting it. It's like why do they even bother putting shows on TV if they have no faith in them? And they cancel the show shortly after adding Michael Madsen as a recurring character, which sucks since he's one of my favorite actors and they suddenly cancel the show right after introducing him.

The show has a fantastic so the success of the show was not because a lack of quality performances on screen. It was from a lack of promotion by the network.

Smart writing, excellent casting, well worth watching and leaves you wanting more

Author: jotuck-645-595210 from United States
28 March 2013

This new series is definitely not a typical cop show, but does have the key components included in the script of current crime events in NYC. The appealing factor to this program (one of many) is the character development balanced with the plot of each episode. The inner turmoil of Clark as a young homicide detective, his savvy ways and street smarts for dealing with criminals, and his own battles with his past all combine to form a complex and interesting character that entertains and intrigues. Theo James is doing an extraordinary job of acting in his role, and makes you believe he has been professionally acting for years. He may have been, I am not certain, but this is the first time I have seen his work. It's impressive. He is not just another pretty face, there is substance behind the gorgeously chiseled bone structure. Chi McBride is just wonderful; he's calm, cool, and delivers the wisdom that his young partner needs. The one liners are sharp as a tack when you catch them. All the cast seem to have great chemistry, and the editing is superb. There is nothing 'corny' or cliché about this cop drama. It is better than I expected, and hope it continues to grow a fan base for the quality of program it delivers. I think CBS has a winner, and they need to promote the marketing to make sure people know when it comes on. I have been confused about whether it was Tuesday or Friday night, but I like the Tuesday night slot. Thumbs up for this golden nugget!

Do Not Cancel Golden Boy

Author: joyof10
21 May 2013

This show has such great potential to be a long running hit. You have definitely made a BIG mistake in pulling it off TV so soon. I really like the way the relationship between Clark and the older detective is developing. You are leaving us with so many unanswered questions such as: Why is Clark limping, How did Detective Don Owen die, What about Clark's parents. The genre of the show is unique because it is like a tapestry of people and how their lives intertwine with each other. Their attempts to be honest about their weaknesses and still do a good job. I also like that the people are actually clean cut for a change. I am so tired of scruffy unkempt people in the work place. I find the characters to refreshing, believable and I really like the story within a story. I really feel that you have another Criminal Minds on your hands and I wish there was some way to get you to change your mind. But,I'm sure you will replace it with another stupid reality show and I will continue to devote my of my TV watching to Direct TV. Your loss.

Love it

Author: mmarks423
27 March 2013

I don't know why this is not on Prime Time on Demand. I love the show and can't wait to watch it every Tuesday. I want to share my new find with my husband but as stated it is not on Prime Time so I can not share the back episodes. I love the Golden Boys relationship with his partner. They both are learning form each other and I know something sad and bad is going to happen to his partner. I can't stand the other cop and will be glad to see Golden Boy get the top job. I also enjoy the relationship he has with his sister. I DVR this show and watch it on Wednesday nights. I have also shared the new series with friends. So far it looks like it isn't doing well, it keeps me on my toes.