IMDb > Plush (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Plush

Plush More at IMDbPro »

No, no, no, and no again.

Author: awkwardmongoose from Italy
6 October 2013

Someone must have the bravery to put down a couple of lines about this film, I'll sacrifice myself. A couple of hours ago I run into Plush, I've seen the trailer, and it looked alright, I've checked the director, and I just flicked Lords of Dogtown, so I went ahead unaware of how many films Hardwicke screwed up in the last 8 years or so. Plush is about a young rock star wretched for the lost of her beloved brother; insecure about her talent, she seeks comfort in her new guitarist,Enzo, whom seems nice, just a little weird he's going to turn eventually in the obsessed kind of lad... His rebus dictis, here we come to the sore point: this film is trite-fair, just a bunch of cliché about showbiz, bisexuality, daddy issues, Oedipus complex, being a nobody-gets-me artist, sex, drugs and so on. Samuel and Browning seemed to try hard but their efforts was cut short by the nonsense and the absurdity of the script, and that's a pity, because Samuel was really good as Ian from Adore and Browning knows how to get her job done. Photography wasn't that bad for at least 40 minutes, but when the film turns out to be a thriller or sort of, everything starts to sink.Even the music was annoying. The director puzzled me with nonsense addiction of black and white footage,predictable camera moves, some shabby light filter. Properly cut and edited,this film could have been a really good video for MTV, but nothing more.

A short an honest review ...

Author: leahtysse13 from Sweden
31 January 2014

In spite of the fact that I really enjoy watching Emily Browning and Xavier Samuals (sp) as actors, this movie stank. It wasn't cute or exciting and there wasn't any real chemistry between the actors. I saw a review written here that was entitled Classic Stalker blah blah blah. Not even! It was truly a let down in every respect. I could barely get through it. It's one of those movies that you don't pause when you have to use the toilet. Watch it only if you're totally bored and literally have nothing better to do. So, that should basically be never. If you want to see Xavier Samuals in a decent movie, watch Adore (Perfect Mothers). If you want to see Emily Browning in a decent movie, watch anything else with her in it, even SuckerPunch. Thank you.

Good movie, just don't expect "Amadeus" for chrissake

Author: rooprect from New York City
4 June 2014

After reading some of these reviews I started thinking a better use of my time would be to hunt down all copies of "Plush" and destroy them to make the world a better place. So glad I didn't.

While this movie certainly won't solve world hunger and seal the ozone layer, it did provide some interesting thoughts to ponder, and of course the story, though yes cliché at times (what rock n roll movie isn't??), it had enough suspense and twists to keep me riveted.

I won't say much about the plot because almost anything is a spoiler. I'll just say that it's a story of a somewhat naïve young singer falling prey to the darker elements of the music business. But what makes it compelling is the subtle theme that these "darker elements" (pain, cruelty and other vices) are what make a successful artist. More about that later...

I think some people came away with negative opinions because none of the characters are perfect, and you may find yourself hating them for stupid things they do. The main character "Hayley" (Emily Browning) is not a strong individual; she's no badass like Joan Jett or Siouxie or Amy Winehouse. No, Hayley is deliberately portrayed as a sort of fragile leaf in the wind who is easily coerced into doing unwise things. The story begins by implying that the death of her brother leaves her adrift, insecure and vulnerable. I think Emily Browning did a great job of playing such a character, foolish yet intelligent, and despite her questionable choices, we can still associate with her as someone who is trying to find her footing in life.

Oh but don't expect the ABC afterschool special because "Plush" isn't afraid to get down & dirty. While there's not a lot of blood, gore & nudity shown on screen, violence and sexual situations are clearly implied. Not a good date movie, since most of the "intimate" scenes border on rape. But, going back to what I said earlier, these "darker elements" are central to the theme of the artist's passion.

My only real gripe with the movie was that they didn't explore that more for us. I suppose the film plants the idea and we are supposed to ponder it ourselves. But still, I would've loved to see some powerful, chilling monologues (like in "Amadeus" where Salieri declares war on god for not giving him enough talent). But I suppose dramatic monologues like that would've sacrificed the plot's momentum. And the plot is clearly designed to be a roller-coaster from the very opening scene to the very last.

That very same breakneck pace might be what turns some people off, thinking it's too unrealistic. But hey folks, this is rock n roll. Anything goes.

I thought the soundtrack was nicely done. I didn't recognize any bands on the list, but the overall vibe was something like the dark 90s bands Nine Inch Nails, Evanescence & Tool. With just a splash of Hilary Duff. I think I read that Emily Browning actually sang vocals. If so she did a fine job. One thing to note is how the music gets more & more messed up as the film spirals down. The last song, "Half of Me (Enzo remix)" is so positively screwed up that it's almost a joke, but that's the point.

If you like this movie I highly recommend other films that delve into the theme of depraved artists and what fuels them: "Art School Confidential", the Aussie rock n roll comedy "Garage Days", and sure why not... Oliver Stone's "The Doors".

A thrilling story

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
7 January 2014

This film tells the story of a young woman in a rock band with her brother. After her brother died of drug overdose, a guitarist is hired to be a part of the band. Unfortunately, the guitarist turns out to be a freak. The story then concentrates on how she deals with the drastic consequences.

The plot is thrilling and well told. There are some clues to the freaky guitarist in the beginning but they are quite subtle, so the story is not spoilt. Emily Browning gives a good performance as a rock chick, and the guitarist is convincing too. The husband, played by Cam Gigandet, is not so convincing though, but that's a minor problem. I also like the songs too, and I can feel the filmmakers' respect for music because the songs are played in its entirety. I liked "Plush" and enjoyed it.

Too Much and Predictable!!

Author: Nabil Bashir
19 June 2014

Being a HUGE movie buff and having a soft side for Indie movies I was expecting a lot.Why? The banging trailer and Emily Browning made me anticipate the movie very much until I watched it and was disappointed to the maximum. Beginning with the direction style, the movie looked like a first-timer's project which they could care about less. The style isn't that bad actually, but its so many other factors that make this movie unbearable and a pain to watch. The intertwined and unrealistic plots are taxing on the mind and what's more,they are all PREDICTABLE. The acting is below average to say the least, apart from Emily Browning of course, who was very convincing in her role and the only thing that kept me from stopping the movie. The music used was quite good at times, IF you're into the Indie Electronic,Electronica etc..genres. Only watch this if you have lots of time on your hands.

A Pleasant Surprise...

Author: kenziemay from Canada
21 December 2013

A tale of obsession that turns dangerous. I actually quite liked this, then again I wasn't expecting much out of it (hence the cover) but I adore Emily Browning and I knew this role would be a lot different for her. She was terrific! The music was surprisingly catchy (call me a cheese-ball, but it's true), I found myself humming to some of the songs long after watching. It's definitely not boring and pretty much covered everything from romance and music to mystery and thriller with a hard learned lesson on family and marriage. I liked that it felt realistic. The American accents were done well from some of the Australian cast, but not perfect. The acting was above average. The ending was predictable and little cliché, yet necessary. The punk rock vibe was genuine.

Was it scary? Hell no. Creepy? Yes, having a psycho band member stalk you, seduce you, who looks almost identical to your deceased brother is pretty messed up. If you like thrillers with a bit of edge, it's definitely worth a watch.

Bad movie - My Precious time!!!

Author: jmac_09 from Netherlands
28 January 2014

I just watched the movie and honestly it was a waist of my precious time, I just had to make a comment about how bad this movie is, in which the only good thing that this movie as is lovely Emily Browning.

The problem now is like I already saw before in other reviews is that IMDb says that this review must had at least 10 lines, so here it goes,lunatic band-mate begins stalking band leader Hayley ( Emily Browning ) in which the narrative is based in a bad movie of Obsession,sex and love ( if anyone wants to call it love I am OK with that ) in the end is just other crappy movie.

What happened to Catherine Hardwicke,How someone that make so good productions like Thirteen,Lords of Dogtown, Red Riding Hood can do such a awful direction,...

WORST movie I have seen all year...

Author: arachnostyle
24 January 2014

Maybe I am just getting too old, but this seems like a flick for moody teen wanna be rock stars. Cam Gigandet and Dawn Olivieri are the only people that add any substance to this disaster. Their contributions are drowned in a sea of dark infant edginess. Elizabeth Pena and Francis Fisher play such small roles that they are not allowed to really support them. It is almost sad to see two veteran actresses get caught in this web and have to take a backseat to immaturity. The film made less than $3,000 from what IMDb says. Apparently I am not alone in not liking this movie. IMDb says this review has to contain at least 10 lines of text but I find myself having trouble writing any more. I have liked Catherine Hardwicke's other works but this one seems juvenile and underdeveloped. Maybe she can stop living in the past and user her vision to evolve into something more.

Predictable thriller

Author: yeltzmanmatt from Birmingham, England
9 August 2014

Plush follows a young star following the death of her brother. I have no idea whether it presents an accurate picture of the rock star lifestyle though it seemed authentic enough for me to swallow.

Browning does a passable impression of a rock star and the concert scenes are pretty good. The support cast are less impressive, I wasn't convinced by Xavier Samuel as the guitarist Enzo.

This is a film about obsession but it takes far too long for the plot to kick in and even when it does for me the characters are too selfish and self absorbed to care too much about. Unfortunately any originality the film may have had disintegrates as it turns into a formulaic thriller the likes of which we have seen way too many times before.

Although Plush is far from a total write off apart from a nice performance from Emily Browning there isn't too much to recommend it.

Push

Author: kosmasp
22 May 2014

Sometimes its easy to push another persons buttons. It's even easier to do so, when you're not showing your full self. In this case this happens to a young female singer who seems to be very vulnerable. Though that seems to be a stretch considering she is married to Cam Gigandet (well the character he is portraying).

Of course there is more than a few moments where the viewer will be shaking their head, at what the singer is doing. But then again, this is way better than some other recent movies with a same story line. The sex scenes are not very steamy, which is intended, but the very first one could easily be discussed and ripped apart. Other movies have had problems with similar evolving scenes ... Whatever the case, this is a decent effort, until the end (with some extra juice and some extra twists)