IMDb > Plush (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Plush

Plush More at IMDbPro »

No, no, no, and no again.

Author: awkwardmongoose from Italy
6 October 2013

Someone must have the bravery to put down a couple of lines about this film, I'll sacrifice myself. A couple of hours ago I run into Plush, I've seen the trailer, and it looked alright, I've checked the director, and I just flicked Lords of Dogtown, so I went ahead unaware of how many films Hardwicke screwed up in the last 8 years or so. Plush is about a young rock star wretched for the lost of her beloved brother; insecure about her talent, she seeks comfort in her new guitarist,Enzo, whom seems nice, just a little weird he's going to turn eventually in the obsessed kind of lad... His rebus dictis, here we come to the sore point: this film is trite-fair, just a bunch of cliché about showbiz, bisexuality, daddy issues, Oedipus complex, being a nobody-gets-me artist, sex, drugs and so on. Samuel and Browning seemed to try hard but their efforts was cut short by the nonsense and the absurdity of the script, and that's a pity, because Samuel was really good as Ian from Adore and Browning knows how to get her job done. Photography wasn't that bad for at least 40 minutes, but when the film turns out to be a thriller or sort of, everything starts to sink.Even the music was annoying. The director puzzled me with nonsense addiction of black and white footage,predictable camera moves, some shabby light filter. Properly cut and edited,this film could have been a really good video for MTV, but nothing more.

A short an honest review ...

Author: leahtysse13 from Sweden
31 January 2014

In spite of the fact that I really enjoy watching Emily Browning and Xavier Samuals (sp) as actors, this movie stank. It wasn't cute or exciting and there wasn't any real chemistry between the actors. I saw a review written here that was entitled Classic Stalker blah blah blah. Not even! It was truly a let down in every respect. I could barely get through it. It's one of those movies that you don't pause when you have to use the toilet. Watch it only if you're totally bored and literally have nothing better to do. So, that should basically be never. If you want to see Xavier Samuals in a decent movie, watch Adore (Perfect Mothers). If you want to see Emily Browning in a decent movie, watch anything else with her in it, even SuckerPunch. Thank you.

WORST movie I have seen all year...

Author: arachnostyle
24 January 2014

Maybe I am just getting too old, but this seems like a flick for moody teen wanna be rock stars. Cam Gigandet and Dawn Olivieri are the only people that add any substance to this disaster. Their contributions are drowned in a sea of dark infant edginess. Elizabeth Pena and Francis Fisher play such small roles that they are not allowed to really support them. It is almost sad to see two veteran actresses get caught in this web and have to take a backseat to immaturity. The film made less than $3,000 from what IMDb says. Apparently I am not alone in not liking this movie. IMDb says this review has to contain at least 10 lines of text but I find myself having trouble writing any more. I have liked Catherine Hardwicke's other works but this one seems juvenile and underdeveloped. Maybe she can stop living in the past and user her vision to evolve into something more.

Bad movie - My Precious time!!!

Author: jmac_09 from Netherlands
28 January 2014

I just watched the movie and honestly it was a waist of my precious time, I just had to make a comment about how bad this movie is, in which the only good thing that this movie as is lovely Emily Browning.

The problem now is like I already saw before in other reviews is that IMDb says that this review must had at least 10 lines, so here it goes,lunatic band-mate begins stalking band leader Hayley ( Emily Browning ) in which the narrative is based in a bad movie of Obsession,sex and love ( if anyone wants to call it love I am OK with that ) in the end is just other crappy movie.

What happened to Catherine Hardwicke,How someone that make so good productions like Thirteen,Lords of Dogtown, Red Riding Hood can do such a awful direction,...

A Pleasant Surprise...

Author: kenziemay from Canada
21 December 2013

A tale of obsession that turns dangerous. I actually quite liked this, then again I wasn't expecting much out of it (hence the cover) but I adore Emily Browning and I knew this role would be a lot different for her. She was terrific! The music was surprisingly catchy (call me a cheese-ball, but it's true), I found myself humming to some of the songs long after watching. It's definitely not boring and pretty much covered everything from romance and music to mystery and thriller with a hard learned lesson on family and marriage. I liked that it felt realistic. The American accents were done well from some of the Australian cast, but not perfect. The acting was above average. The ending was predictable and little cliché, yet necessary. The punk rock vibe was genuine.

Was it scary? Hell no. Creepy? Yes, having a psycho band member stalk you, seduce you, who looks almost identical to your deceased brother is pretty messed up. If you like thrillers with a bit of edge, it's definitely worth a watch.

A thrilling story

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
7 January 2014

This film tells the story of a young woman in a rock band with her brother. After her brother died of drug overdose, a guitarist is hired to be a part of the band. Unfortunately, the guitarist turns out to be a freak. The story then concentrates on how she deals with the drastic consequences.

The plot is thrilling and well told. There are some clues to the freaky guitarist in the beginning but they are quite subtle, so the story is not spoilt. Emily Browning gives a good performance as a rock chick, and the guitarist is convincing too. The husband, played by Cam Gigandet, is not so convincing though, but that's a minor problem. I also like the songs too, and I can feel the filmmakers' respect for music because the songs are played in its entirety. I liked "Plush" and enjoyed it.

a hidden gem!!

Author: flitz35 from United States
22 October 2013

Wow reading some of the reviews in don't understand how this movie was slammed. I think the biggest flaw was the marketing. Just look at the cover. If you judge it by the cover I can see not giving it a chance. But believe me this movie was more then you'll ever bargain for.

A movie does a few things that make men like it. Such as keeping my interest for the entire time and not being able to get up out of your seat. Plush did that for me. The acting was great the story was great and everything else. I would of spent money to see this especially if more money was spent on marketing and I wouldn't if been disappointed and neither would you. Give it a shot.

Predictable but watchable

Author: phd_travel from United States
18 November 2013

Catherine Hardwicke movies are generally fast paced and feature attractive young leads. This is no exception. This is her venture into a more grown up darker fatal attraction type thriller movie.

The story is about a rock singer (Emily Browning) married to a loving husband (Cam Gigandet) with a couple of kids. Upset over the overdose death of her brother (Thomas Dekker) she falls into an affair with her new guitar player (Xavier Samuel) who turns out to be obsessive.

Emily does quite a good job here and her character seems quite sympathetic even though she is the unfaithful one. Xavier Samuel is unrecognizable as the bisexual cross dressing villain.

The story tries to show some excessive rock star lifestyle with the sex drinking etc. It isn't totally convincing but it's adequate for this kind of movie.

Overall it's a little predictable and the ending is a bit formula. Nothing very ground breaking here. But the watchable ex Twilight and similar type cast makes it worth one viewing.

Twisted & Alluring

Author: Diana Sienkiewicz from United States
22 January 2014

Slow, sex, rock music, with a splash of twisted darkness. Most of the movie is slow except for the ending. Didn't see that one coming.

Honestly I love slow and twisted movies. I basically watched it because the trailer looked intriguing, but then I noticed some familiar actors that I enjoy. I usually don't watch a movie below a 6 rating, but I decided to give it a chance since this is something I'm interested in.

All in all the movie made me want to have an affair, have twisted passionate sex, it made me want to pick up and smoke a cigarette and I don't smoke. There's so much of it going on. I loved the soundtrack they used; it really captured me and brought out the movie a little more.

Although because it was so slow for most of the movie I was doing some work while listening and looking up every now-and-then. A weird story line, and in some parts I would have done things a little differently but the outcome would probably be nearly the same.

It's definitely not a movie for everyone. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't watch it again. Although I'm going to find that soundtrack, can't get it out of my head!

Classic Stalker Thriller

Author: Laura Barclay
7 December 2013

Overall, 'Plush' was executed nicely and paid homage to the artsy horror genre, without unnecessary gore and clichés. The camera work was easy to follow and the cinematography was innovative and visually interesting. Costumes and set was realistic and creative.

The plot was highly dramatic and ridiculous, yet believable, which made the movie enjoyable and not cringe-worthy. The use of foreshadowing was implemented and served as a clever way to give audiences a chance to work out the twist before it was exposed at the end of the film.

On a down-side, I found that the casting for some roles was slightly unbelievable: Cam Gigandet and Emily Browning had sparse chemistry, and I found their relationship as husband and wife a bit unfeasible. Otherwise, casting was accurate and all actors played their roles effectively.

The film was highly sexual in some scenes, which put me off slightly, but was still necessary to the plot, which made the nudity and sex scenes bearable.

Points:

2 points for actors and casting

2 points for cinematography and visual components.

1 point for realistic and natural script.