IMDb > Kai po che! (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kai po che!

Kai po che! More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Cricket, Love, Friendship, Passion, Politics.... phew... what a film!

Author: gops-s21 from India
24 February 2013

Before watching "Kai Po Che!":

Me: Hey! Let's watch Kai Po Che.. A movie about Friendship, Forgiveness, Passion and..

Bro: wait.. yet another movie on 'friendship'! Another 3 idiots! Another Zindagi na milegi dobara... Come on! Don't you get tired of watching movies about same old stuff.. Can't we watch 'Die Hard'..? Yippee ki yay!

Me: No.. 'Die Hard' got bad reviews.. And seriously? Choosing 'Die Hard' over 'Kai Po Che' is the dumbest thing that must have ever come to your mind. Nopiee ki nay!

Bro: OK then.. let's go.. But we will watch Die hard after we are done with Kai Po Che.. OK?

Me: OK. Cool.

The film:

The film title Kai Po Che is originally a Gujarati phrase that means "I have cut the kite" which refers to a kite competition where one of the competitors uses his kite to cut off another competitors kite and yells "Kai Po Che!"

Adapted from "The 3 Mistakes of my Life"(Chetan Bhagat) and Directed by Abhishek Kapoor (Rock On!!) this is a character driven film about friendship, forgiveness, passion, love.. all in the backdrop of some real events. The story mainly revolves around three friends, Ishaan played by Sushant Singh Rajput, Govind played by Raj Kumar Yadav and Omi played by Amit Sadh, who set out to open a sports training academy.

The Good:

A film about friendship is not a new thing in Bollywood. We have already witnessed "3 Idiots", "Rock On", "ZNMD", "Dil Chahta Hai". "Kai Po Che" looks similar at first but peel off the layers and it's much more.

Adapted from a book titled "3 mistakes of my Life" this film is a tightly scripted and crisply edited drama that never bogs down or dumbs down for its audience and instead resorts to subtlety.

Playing with themes like dreams and aspirations, friendship standing test of time, a commentary of our education system is not an easy task and the director does an incredible job of weaving everything together.

Cinematographer Anay Goswamy has made look Gujrat so beautiful that I feel like taking a vacation and running off to that place for the Kite festival. Also, music given by "Amit Trivedi" is refreshing especially the song "Manjha".

But it's the characters that drive this film and the three leads are a revelation here. Rajkumar Yadav, Amit Sadh and Sushant Singh Rajput not only have a good screen presence but they can actually ACT! (Sorry about me shouting and all.. but can't control my emotions right now) The actors have such great chemistry that it reminded me of my college days. These guys are not actors in this film. They ARE Govind Patel, Omkar Shastri and Ishaan Bhatt. And this is where this film hits it out of the park.

A capitalist money minded friend. A political friend. An emotional/day dreamer friend. These are people whom we have met somewhere at some point in our lives. These are people whom we can relate to and care about.

The Bad: Not applicable.

Final verdict: Cricket, Love, Friendship, Passion, Politics.. It's all what India is about and it's something that any sane minded Indian wouldn't and shouldn't miss.

After watching "Kai Po Che!":

Bro: Damn you… (sniff)

Me: What! You didn't like it? (sniff)

Bro: My eyes are watery. It's so embarrassing! F***ing friendship movies… (sniff)

Me: Oh come on now! Since when did you start crying for a film (sniff)

Bro: Oh and why is there a bubble under your nose?

Me: I.. I got cold. (sniff..) OK.. So next Die Hard.. I'll go buy the tickets and then..

Bro: F*** Die Hard. Let's watch this again. (sniff)

The Best Movie Of The Year So Far..

Author: bharat047 from Mumbai
22 February 2013

Set against the backdrop of the Gujarat riots of a decade ago, Kai Po Che tells the story of three best friends - Ishaan Bhatt (Sushant Singh Rajput), Omkar Shastri (Amit Sadh) and Govind Patel (Rajkumar Yadav), who are trying to chase their dreams in the advent of the new millennium. This was a time when India's nuclear power was ostensibly shining - a perfect place for the three Ahmedabad boys to start a business that could be their ticket to fame and riches.

In a country like that of ours, where cricket is a religion, they hit upon a brilliant plan to start a training academy that could produce India's next sporting superstars. But, destiny plays cruel joke in the lives of three boys whose equations with each other are thrown into severe turmoil by calamitous event of the Godhra riots. This is when Ishaan, Omi and Govind struggle to keep their friendship intact, but on the other hand, their dreams are shattered as it pushes their grand plan of building a sports academy off the rails.

Positives : Kai Po Che is a refreshing tale of friendship, dreams and passion that might leave you with a mild dose of reality. The movie unravels the madness that the common citizen of the country has about cricket, cinema and politics, and the effects that it is making on the process of growth and the ethos of the country. There's no over-the-top, filmy, dramatic dialogues, instead, those in the film sound very realistic and genuine.

Verdict : Kai Po Che is an ode to true friendship. The movie works wonder on every sphere, say it brilliant acting, realistic plot or heart-touching dialogues. Hence, this one is sure to make a prominent place to the year's Best film award nominations. So, go and grab your tickets at the earliest and relish the beauty of the flick.

Ratings : 9/10 !!

Spellbinding, Enthralling, Amazing and So On...

Author: Somak Basu from India
22 February 2013

There were times when our master storyteller Jeetendra's nephew Abhishek Kapoor was keen to make a dynamic debut as a hero in Bollywood. Sadly that potential got beaten up badly. But what really worked wonders was rise of a dynamic director and storyteller Abhishek Kapoor through his luminous work "ROCK ON!". It was no less than a masterpiece and also one of the best movies based on friendship in ages. 'KAI PO CHE' is also another friendship movie where behind the story and script is none other than Chetan Bhagat, one of the most exceptional young writers in ages.

Though 'Hello', adapted from Bhagat's 'One Night @ The Call Center' didn't cast any magic on box-office, following one '3 Idiots', adapted from his 'Five point Someone' is the highest grossing movie on box- office till date and most favorite to numerous people. Which shows well- handled direction can work more than wonders if a superb script is given. And, Chetan Bhagat novels are so distinguished that an imposing script can be easily extracted from them. Though Hirani in 3 Idiots added more humor and his own creativity, Abhishek Kapoor follows the theme entirely of Bhagat's 'The 3 Mistakes Of My Life' and illustrates beautifully on screen as per demands of the script.

Though 'The 3 Mistakes Of My Life' is the most diverse story inked on novel among other works by Bhagat, Abhishek Kapoor skillfully adds many stereotypical dimensions in the film which makes it even more beautiful than the novel itself.

Friendship is such a wonderful genre that if you can present it beautifully that one can't stop praising it. DIL CHAHTA HAI, RANG DE BASANTI, ROCK ON! to ZINDAGI NA MILEGI DOBARA have been remarkable journeys so far. KAI PO CHE ushers itself in this wing.

But KAI PO CHE doesn't hold its boundary only around FRIENDSHIP. It's a tale of unconditional friendship, endless love among themselves as if they hold under some brotherhood, it elucidates politics and portraits the illimitable passion for sports. But the movie depicts an unforgettable tale based on three real-life events that changed the main three protagonist's lives forever - a conducive cricket match between India & Australia, Gujarat Earthquake and Godhra Massacre and Riots based on that. I'm just amazed at how a marvelous story is woven under these three real-life events and based on the story, the screenplay is so well handled and composed by Pubali Chaudhuri, Supratik Sen, Abhishek Kapoor & Chetan Bhagat himself.

Kai Po Che is the story of three friends Govind (Rajkumar Yadav), Omi (Amit Sadh) & Ishaan (Sushant Singh Rajput). Govind aspires to become a big businessman one day, so he along with his two friends, encouraging their passion, opens a cricket goods and training shop. Everything was going fine till the events that transpire against the backdrop of all that occurred in the city during that time change the lives of each of the friends in very different ways.

Director Abhishek Kapoor yet again proves that he is a pedagogue storyteller. His previous work ROCK ON! and KAI PO CHE may be harmonious is some shades but KAI PO CHE is much more emotional, has too many layers and strikes a chord among the middle class youngsters out there which is very hard to commit to. KAI PO CHE is not only just a simple story of three friends, it's a perfect depiction of the role of society on the lives of the people living in outskirts. Plus, Abhishek Kapoor's brilliant storytelling completes it.

Amit Trivedi's short and soulful music adds special charm. "MANZA" and "MEETHI BOLIYAAN" are delightful to listen to even the film could have easily worked without any song. But the songs gleam the spirit of the movie in a very melodious way. Anay Goswami's cinematography is first- rate.

The three focal portions of the movie are exquisitely carried away by the three youngsters. It's amazing that Abhishek took a risk by choosing newcomers on such a introvert script but his clarity of vision helped him make a superb decision by choosing them.

Sushant Singh Rajput's amazing potential, timing, acting skills and screen presence astonishes me completely. He already has YRF and Raju Hirani project in his pockets and no wonder why. Here rises an upcoming hugely successful star, that can be clearly seen. Amit Sadh enacts his part perfect. He can now come on focus of many talent seekers. Rajkumar Yadav enacts deliberately just like he did in his previous works. His role in every movie has different shades but this talented actor carries out skillfully every time.

Rest of the cast do their jobs perfectly. Amrita Puri, the lone leading lady character in the movie aloof carries out her role amazingly. Manav Kaul & Asif Basra are excellent. Digvijay Deshmukh aka Ali is magnificent. Wish to see him in future more frequently.

There can be no end of praising KAI PO CHE. Throughout this whole review, I failed to point out a single blemish in this fine piece of work. Every shot, every character, every moment in this movie is so flawless that one can't help being amazed at times. Films like KAI PO CHE are as hard to make as hard not be flabbergasted at. It's an incandescent saga of friendship that transcends the boundaries of penchant.

Best Movie Of This Year So far. Strictly Recommended.

This kite will fly very in the sky

Author: Vishal Budhraja (budhrajavishal@gmail.com) from Mumbai
22 February 2013

This Kite is very high in the sky. An ordinary story with extraordinary acting, screenplay & direction. This flick has once again proved that start cast should be the last ingredient. It is an adaptation of 3 Mistakes Of My Life, with much fresh content. All the characters are well placed and every single part is believable. Sushant Rajput delivers one of the best debut performance of Bollywood. Yadav plays his role with expression with minimum dialogues. Govind & Amrita is just perfect in their roles. Abhishek Kapoor is brilliant as he knows his job very well. Cinematography is awesome using very fine detail. Screenplay has a novelist touch(Bhagat's touch). Last words: Bollywood is going in right direction. Go and appreciate this perfect job.

Kai Po Che defines "Good Cinema".

Author: janianmol from India
23 February 2013

Believe me when I tell you this, almost anybody can write a book as long as you have a pen and paper and the thought of it. But to read a book like "Three mistakes of my life" makes you kill yourself and to even make a movie from that book, that takes more than a set of balls. I have many friends who are simply mad behind Hollywood movies, who say that it's just amazing. But when I ask them about Bollywood movies they just say one thing, "its not good cinema". Well, here's your answer, Kai Po Che is what truly defines good cinema. It's just beginning of the year 2013 and we already have a film which is well acted, has as much as comic feel and emotional reel and a big story behind it. Direction is very raw, which is something I like. The movie has a Desi feel to it which I believe everyone likes. The most important is that the Film music consist of only three songs, which is very well written and perfectly sung. If you haven't seen this movie than I will definitely recommend you to do that.

Kai Po Che in Tamil means "Lost my hands" which will probably happen to you when you will be applauding to this movie.

Brimming Niceties, Fantastic Performances & A Scintillating Ode To Friendship (& Its Destruction)!

Author: Tejas Nair from the Entertainment Capital of India
22 February 2013

Kai Po Che, thus gives Bollywood a new wave of actors. Sushanth is a charmer. Amit Sadh is elegant and genuine. Yadav is creepy but portrays his role fantastically. The supporting cast is bold with Manav Kaul getting my uninterrupted attention. The music goes haywire sometimes, but the direction compensates it. Cinematography, I perceive has been a copy of Dil Chahta Hai while screenplay is non-linear & appreciable. The climax is different from the book & adds up little emotion to the film. Even if you haven't read the book, this one will give you a total feel of it.

"I took the pains of making 3 Rock Ons!! for this," Anhishek Kapoor was himself quoted saying. And I second that. The glory of this adaptation is its screenplay, run time (135 minutes) & the audacity of film-making as a whole.

Yes, there are some ennui-inducing sequences specially the romance thing which might... MIGHT annoy at times, but that is passable. Not much of dilly-dallying or item songs or stereotype ridden script or dialogs, this one. Indeed, KPC is a victory in itself! Yes, Gujarati people say it after achieving victory over kite flying, but after watching this, I too can say pretty much the same phrase with oomph. Except that the political hue was necessary, but the gore & violence made it look cranky. 7/10 for compressing such a magnificent book into a short film.

BOTTOM LINE: Kai Po Che! is a pretty good film; a must watch this weekend (compared to Zilla Ghaziabad), but talking it with the likes of Dil Chahta Hai or Rock On!! would be mild disgrace to the latter because KPC doesn't talk more about friendship than it talks about its destruction. KPC will make you think, but it is not a GREAT* film as it tries very hard to achieve but still gets a cold spot.

WATCH OUT FOR: Sushanth Singh Rajput, Manav Kaul, Amit Sadh & some tit- bits.

*refers to actual meaning in the dictionary with in celluloid context.

Can be watched with a typical Indian family? YES

Language: Very Mild | Sex: No | Nudity: Very Mild | Smoking & Alcohol: Mild | Violence: Very Critical | Gore: Mediocre | Mouth-Kiss & Foreplay: Mild | Traumatizing Quotient: Strong

You won't make a mistak !

Author: Siddhant Falcon from Mumbai, India
21 February 2013

This week has basically two releases for 'Bollywood' and I opted for 'Kai Po Che'. The reason behind my choice is crystal clear that's one and only for 'Abhishek Kapoor' – the man who delivered the best musical film of 'Bollywood'. So now an inevitable question rises that – Did Abhishek really succeed again with his adaption of a book which I felt was filled with many potholes and flaws like 'Ali swashbuckling the deliveries of the Aussies'. Did Abhishek again sensitively handle the newly derived success formula of 'Bollywood'- male bonding ??

STORY - As most of us know that it is an adaption of 'Chetan Bhagat's' novel – 'The Three Mistakes Of my Life', sorry I have to correct myself 'It is an successful adaption'. Yes my friends this flick is really enjoyable. The director has handled with care every genre that passes along this movie and gives it a nice 'Bollywood' touch. The central theme that is bro-mance is one of the best. It reminds me of '3-idiots' but it would be quite daring to say that it outranks '3-idiots' in that field. From the cryptic trailers everyone would have got a silhouette of the movie but don't go with your intuition. Because the movie demands a watch. Unlike other directors this one has not spread himself too thin in an attempt to please the audience. For instance the seduction by Vidya to Govind isn't stretched to an obscene amount. The setting of the story in 'Gujarat' is one of the big highlights of this movie as you will love the cinematography. This movie plays and reflects the stereotypes of this so-called 'Modern India'. The movie's character are from middle class so it does play a staple dish .

PERFORMANCES -'Raj Kumar Yadav' excels and 'Amit Sadh' too but the man of the movie award goes to 'Sushant Singh Rajput'. It's no doubt that the three of them were good but at the end of the day someone is best.'Vidya' played by ' Amrita Puri' is cute with a tinge of joviality and naughtiness . She is a perfect sister and a lover. Little 'Ali' does look strong and playful. Others are good. I can't through the whole list in one word I will label the cast 'very good'. The transition made by the three lead characters seems like a facile victory. I won't dig enough cause I don't want to spoil it for you.

MUSIC- 'Gujarat' means 'Garba' and thus means 'beautiful'. The songs are good . Unlike the previous venture 'Rock On' this one is a bit traditional and you will love it. If I will go for the best song I will vote for 'Shubharambh'. God! You will love it. Music is too good.

OTHER ASPECTS -The cinematography is really fitting. You will surely succumb to the depth of 'Gujaratiness'.Editing is good and I'm not that kind of aficionado in film-making so I did like the other aspects too like camera work , editing and blah,blah,blah.

FINAL VERDICT -Go for it. You won't make a mistake.

The young starcast pulls it through....

Author: ckaran80 from India
22 February 2013

Kai Po Che is on screen adaption of Chetan Bhagat's '3 mistakes of my life'....and i have to admit that despite having read the novel, this movie leaves the same impact as if reading the book....or perhaps even more than that...

The direction has been amazingly superb along with the screenplay.....the background score is simply outstanding and influences the entire movie...but its the actors who steal the show completely...Almost all the parts in the book have been covered except the Australian one and wasn't needed either..The simplicity of the script is what makes it superfluous...The combination of real life incidents with the lives of the main characters is portrayed perfectly...The most astounding feature of this story is how different aspects of society - cricket, politics and religion intervene to some conclusions...

The cast is new, but director Abhishek Kapoor manages to pull out something really extraordinary from them...Debutant Sushant Singh Rajput is the show-stealer with an award-winning performance , nicely supported by others...Raj Kumar Yadav plays his role to perfection...

This movie is classic tale of friendship,cricket,politics and its impact on the lives of 3 friends...The movie is flawless in its every part barring the climax which is far too sudden. The climax is totally different from the novel and better than the novel as well...Thumbs up for KAI PO CHE and its brilliant cast and direction...

Watch it for the direction, intensity and simplicity! A treat.

Author: Rahul Bamal (rahulturbo@yahoo.co.uk) from New Delhi
22 February 2013

Kai Po Che- Magnificent direction and excellent performance by each one of the cast member, you will find it hard to get a loophole there. The film is based on 'The Three Mistakes of My Life', more than the story it is the execution that sets this film apart. On account of direction this movie has set some high standards, it's a through and through professional job; priorities, preferences, perspectives and lives of people are so beautifully gelled that it is a treat to the senses. Music has been used to touch this movie just enough to keep it untouched, yet it has provided the desired effect- may be a notch less you can say This is mostly a single paced film, that in no way means that it is on a lower level; actually whole film has been set up on a higher platform. It is not an outright feel-good thing like DCH or RDB, and it is intense even in it's lightest of moments. The climax is short, fitting and crisp - a message has been delivered without going in disputed territories So, don't go in with any presumptions and watch it for some exceptional stuff but at the same time there is no guarantee for everyone's satisfaction

Blockbuster!!!

Author: Avijeet Singh (avi.coer@gmail.com) from India
25 February 2013

Earlier to, many movies tried to capture the incidents of Gujarat but this piece of work stands out from all of them. Beautifully and sensibly linking all of them with great success. Movie for not even a second deviate audiences. Million time watchable movie. And amazingly great work by the actors specially by the little kid Ali. So true in his cricketing skills. Great casting by the group.Great direction work.Music very different with studded Gujarati words and appeals all us north Indians. And purely one way a family movie which touches a bit from every person's life in the country and binds everyone with the highly accepted religion of cricket. Cons: should have been extended 1 hour more.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]