IMDb > "666 Park Avenue" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"666 Park Avenue"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"666 Park Avenue" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Excellent, despite what religious extremists think!

Author: ramair350 from Austin, Texas
1 October 2012

Based on the pilot, I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of this show. I would rank it very slightly behind the FX network's American Horror Story (which is quite "gritty"), but for a prime-time ABC network show, this exceeded expectations. The writing is good, suspense is built, the characters are interesting, and the acting is quite believable.

I am VERY disappointed to see reviewers complaining about this show based purely on extremist religious values. I thought that we were better than that. Free speech is wonderful, but I hate to see a show's ratings suffer because of a vocal few. I would encourage you to form your own opinion - if you are up for some scary / dramatic / and yes sometimes "seductive" content, give it a shot.

Please no......

Author: pattirutlandjazz from United States
6 December 2012

My heart is broken. I just the show was canceled. I don't understand how one determines the market on a show but 666 Park Avenue was always the talk on Monday mornings after dropping the kids to school. Not since Desperate Housewives have we had so much to talk about on the tennis courts and at lunch. The characters were amazing and I found myself dreading getting close to the end. It has been many years since I have looked forward to a great night of television entertainment and this show was the highlight of my Sunday evenings. PLEASE somebody else pick this show up or please ABC, reconsider. With all the crap on TV that should be canceled (like every reality TV show out there) ......please not this. I wish I could figure out how to make a difference.

Horror with elegance

Author: boomerang_pip from Philippines
3 January 2013

With news of cancellation for 666 Park Avenue, i am curious of the reasons why it lacked viewers and much of the negative reviews.

The show is written beautifully, story lines pop individually and connects surprisingly, the suspense and mystery leaves you thirsty for more. The Actors also interact well with each other. Terry O'Quinn is no doubt great(makes you want to know what is in his mind in every episode), while Rachael Taylor and Dave Annable shocks with strong performances, especially Dave, who grows every episode and exudes a good/bad guy aura (i was sensing a Christian Bale vibe). Plus,The Ansonia Building standing in as the Drake Hotel was a great choice.The exterior structures and the interior exudes dramatic flair on its own.

Sum all up and you get a truly elegant horror story.

Terry O'Quinn's perfect character

Author: findingdevotion
2 October 2012

I'm writing this review after seeing just the first episode but as far as episodes go, this was more than just a pilot.

The series seems to benefit from solid writing, the pacing is perfect to keep you wondering.

Maybe the "666" in the name comes off slightly cheesy and tries too much to push the viewers towards the Faust tale but the setup is still great. The pilot steadily leads to a number of questions and possibilities all while creating a dense atmosphere that manages to clearly convey the feeling of being trapped in a game led by one man (or the devil).

Sure, the script may resemble the setup from "Devil's Advocate". Being a series however, it can afford letting some things under question. While in Devil's Advocate we had a character clearly setup as The Devil, plain and simple, here we are left wondering what's going on: is there a cult gone rogue? Is it the devil? It is a messenger or some kind of demon?

As far as the pilot goes, I was surprised to see that even if one were to summarize it, one couldn't very well simply give away spoilers because there aren't any to give. Who's who? Who wants what? Who does what? These are questions left to be answered.

Shortcomings? Sure, we could name a few. Aside from a few main characters, the cast is questionable. Perhaps they just need time to grow but I can still think of many debutants in series that have done way better jobs.

The camera was chaotic at times without any real reason.

Final word? The story is catchy, dense and full of suspense. It has the prospects of giving a fair amount of chills if properly developed and I am definitely going to follow it.

It's not entirely a 10/10, maybe more like 8/10, but I'm stepping it up as the recent releases have been incredibly low, such as the cheap teen flick Revolution which can make anything else look amazing.

Desire..Greed...Pay Back! Highly underrated.

Author: teomou
23 November 2012

The reasons writing this review are the recent rumors that this series might be canceled and honestly i don't want this to happen. Concerning the negative comments so far, they are made by people who simply can't understand the meaning of this new series.They just focus on things they would like to be different loosing all the magic this series offers. It is a story stressing that our DESIRES MAKE US GREED.And if there is someone to fulfill them, an unknown 'force' he always asks to pay back. Desire...Greed...fulfillment....consequences! A brilliant thought all set in a mysterious background concerning a building's history. Great acting, great suspense and finally a Drama/Horror/Mystery mix and nothing else of this kind to compare with. Highly underrated after so little episodes. Let this series shine...through the mystery.

Love this show

Author: crruptedyuth
4 December 2012

I feel I should review this one after seeing some negatives from the pilot. Give it a chance people, don't give it horrible reviews from just the pilot. I can't wait each week to see a new one. Watching her discover what is happening feels like I am part of the mystery and I am trying to piece everything together. She is so involved in this apartment place that it gives me the chills when she discovers something. The cast works very well together and I am not disappointed in the least with that. I recommend this show to anyone who loves a good creepy mystery. Just give it a go and watch it each week. I promise you that you will not be disappointed, each week builds more and more to the plot and keeps you on the edge of your seat.

Too bad canceled

Author: qck1 from United States
24 March 2013

This show started out on the slow side but improved, and you can see that from the ratings. Then the writers started to writing a lot more twists to the story, and the ratings improved. The network never adverted the show, and put it at a bad time. Unfortunately seems like it is very difficult for a scripted show to survive. This show had a lot of possibilities, and would have probably gotten even better with time. Hate those reality shows. They are like watching WWF, equally fake, and ultimately boring. Would be nice if a cable network took it over, and they could make it racier. Doubt it could ever beat out American Horror Story, but maybe get close to Lost. Grimm certainly got better the 2nd season, and think it was because the show got more money, and think more money could make this show much better.

Not happy this has been canceled

Author: roxyfu from England, East Sussex
17 May 2013

Could not believe when I heard this had been canceled. I loved this show it had everything mystery, seduction. Etc I was always on the edge of my seat waiting for what was going to come next. Put it back on bring series 2. Damn u American TV companies what us wrong with you, you seem to always cancel the good shows. They need to find a way of how to calculate TV ratings by being recorded as well as being watched as some people have stupid working hours so are unable to watch it when it's on so they set record. With all the technology in the world today you would think they would be able to figure that out. Very disappointed customer who has been left hanging with unanswered questions.

A bit of Rosemary"s Baby

Author: madrianofreire from Brazil
6 October 2012

I cannot say much about it because i just saw one episode, but i have to say this: "A new series among an amount of new series...A good series! I felt almost the same atmosphere that i felt when i saw Rosemary"s baby from Polanski. A very good start, nice plot...I expect a continuing pleaseant watching...The cast seems to be good enough for the proposal, especially Terry O'Queen( i really think that he should be doing more movies, not just TV series)...So far so good...My score is 9 for now. Direction, editing, and photography are worthy of recognition. Thumbs up...I really liked it! It's clear that the series has a major Polanski's influence, and that is really great. It's rare to see something valuable nowadays(but that is just my thoughts)...Thumbs up again!

John Locke in New York

Author: johnboyblues from United States
24 November 2012

I've always had a thing for horror movies; not slasher films but good old scary films that surprise you and make you jump occasionally. Nothing like a good scare to wake you up and let you know that this is not a soap opera.

You never know what is going to happen next in this series. It goes from current day mischief to gruesome acts in the past to people conjured up in the imagination of a newspaper journalist and have them come to life to create more havoc.

The cast seems to work well together. They interact well together on film and that's the important thing. I was surprised to see Vanessa Williams in the cast but surprises are good.

The creators have taken Terry O'Quinn from the jungles of Lost (John Locke) and dropped him in the concrete jungles of New York. And he is playing another mischievous, devilish character who you cannot quiet figure out. Not sure if he's Satan or just someone who possesses mystical powers but whoever or whatever he is, he has that charm that makes you want to like him even though he's somewhat sinister. Well, actually, he is downright sinister. Speaking of scary films...check out O'Quinn in an oldie but a goodie, The Stepfather. That's the film that made me an O'Quinn fan.

Anyway, it's worth watching. Just have to wait and see if some dufus pulls the plug on this series. Let's hope not.

Here we are 2 months after the previous review above and what happens... as I prophesied, the numbskulls at ABC have decided to cancel the show. Unless some miracle occurs and the show returns, you have seen the last of 666. Alas, perhaps my usefulness should be turned towards the occult as a seer (Nostradamus here I come).

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]