IMDb > Welcome to the Jungle (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Welcome to the Jungle

Welcome to the Jungle More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Funny, witty dialog that doesn't get old

Author: Mark Rudyk from United States
28 April 2013

Saw this movie last night World Premiere at the Newport Beach Film Festival. First, let me tell you this festival is great, awesome films and fun fun destination.

The movie chronicles the life of a under-spoken, nerdy kid who strives to be that which is the opposite - assertive, top of the pack leader. At work, he is constantly undermined by a college who takes credit for his work and is the all around a-hole that people love to hate.

On a team building trip, lead by the non other than Jean-Claude Van Damme (hilariously mocking himself and many other things) as the wilderness leader on this isolated island.

Adam Brody does a great job with the funny, quick hitting humor, playing off the over-the-top always funny nemesis played by Rob Huebel.

The thing is, going into this movie and letting yourself be entertained, its a huge success with funny side characters, plays on other movies and books that make you say aha yeah! It does not get to that stupidity point where you might think such a comedy could fall into, and it keeps things clever, while still entertaining greatly in a plot which has all the common points and you can predict where its going to go. Although you may see the underlying basics, you are nevertheless entertained and laughing in your seat. Well done, hope this movie has lots of success.

Misled by the reviews

Author: wgeddings from Manning, SC
9 February 2014

I saw this and had never heard of it so checked IMDb. Based on the reviews, I decided to watch it since I have often enjoyed such "diamonds in the rough". Sadly someone must be paying people to write reviews now or perhaps it is better when stoned or drunk. The movie I saw was nothing like the reviews. There were no "hilarious" parts.

I normally like silly or stupid humor. This was neither. I like cerebral humor and this was not that either. I kept watching and thinking it was going to get better but it did not. I like most of the actors and actresses in this and they seemed to be doing their best, especially Van Damme, but when it is not funny, it is not funny. Several times I could see a joke being set up but then it never happened.

I gave it 3 stars out of respect for the cast who did try really hard but it was another movie that I wish I could unwatch and use that time instead to do something more fun. Which would be anything including watching paint dry. Spare yourself.

Few hilarious scenes; nothing great

Author: cB391 from Canada
31 January 2014

Welcome to the Jungle is a story that tries to entertain the viewer with some hilarious comedy scenes; especially involving Jean-Claude Van Damme. The interpersonal relationship between the various actors was not interesting, and the simplicity of the shift from rational to "primitive" was hardly aptly presented or explained. Overall the acting was below par, without any attempt at building a serious character (again with JCVD being the exception).

The plot is a group are sent on a retreat to learn team skills. After a few incidents, they are trapped on the island. The island splits into two factions and the main character learns how to stand up for himself.

The movie plays into typical alpha-male scenarios with little to nothing to offer, and the consistent rape jokes are tasteless, while providing little except to re-enforce the alpha-male stereotype with the subversive male having to defeat him in order to get his "prize".

The music and imagery in the movie are well done, and do set the mood for the various scenes, regardless of how the acting was.The simplicity of the plot wouldn't have garnered a watch in most cases, but there are a few scenes with JCVD that are hilarious. If you can watch them separately, skip this movie. Due to the few entertaining scenes and well produced audio/video, I would rate this a 4; otherwise I wouldn't bother even raising it over a 2.

There might be some people who like it, but it was not appealing to me.

Please do not waste your time!!!!!!!

Author: yourlife from United States
3 February 2014

For $5 million dollars, whomever produced this movie should have just bought lottery tickets. The chance of winning would be better than this movie having a chance to be enjoyed.

I generally would have just turned it off, but being bored already, I figured what the heck. I WASTED VALUABLE TIME FROM MY LIFE.

It was so bad that I could tell you how the story ended and you would be better off if you spent the time with your family and maybe find something fun to do with them.

There is not one character who is worth saying nice things about. Dennis Haysbert has a couple of lines with minor humor attached, but only because they are so out of character for him.

That's the only reason I didn't give this 1 star.

I have to believe that once this movie gets around a little, the ratings will drop like the stock market in 2008. Please believe me. It's really not worth even trying to prove or disprove what I am writing here.

Even Jean Claude couldn't save it. Btw, he is in amazing shape for any age, but the fact that he is 53 is nuts! OK, that is the other reason I gave it 2 stars! I really wish someone would give me $5M so I could make a movie. I could find 20 people on the street who would have performed better than anyone in this film.

Find something else to watch, I beg you.

Just my thoughts!

The George Lopez finger buffet....

Author: FlashCallahan from Leicester, United Kingdom
8 February 2014

Adam Brody plays a guy who has a very good idea for a design stolen by one of his superiors.

President Palmer from 24 sends his team on a team building weekend hosted by Van Damme, Van Damme of all people.

After an incident with a tiger, Van Damme goes AWOL, so it's up to Brody to take charge (he was in the scouts), but his superior balks at the idea, and goes all Lord Of The Flies...

And that's what the film basically is, Lord Of The Flies on drugs.

And don't let the cover fool you, Van Damme is in the film at the beginning for about five minutes, then doesn't really pop up again until right near the end.

And he's the best thing about it, he's really good at comedy, and he sends his action persona up a treat.

The rest of the film is a gross out Lord of the flies, with bad jokes and poor performances from the supporting cast.

Brody is okay, but cannot save the script. Haysbert is in it for less than five minutes, and has the best joke about a sandwich.

It's for Van Damme completists only, and he is really good.

Jean Claude Van Damme Gives Few Slapstic & Comedy Moments Nothing More

Author: M MALIK from Pakistan
14 March 2014

i am a hardcore Van Damme fan i am recently collection and watching all of his films but hard target,bloodsport & kick-boxer will remain his all time best films Jcvd career is going nowhere he got wasted in expendables 2 now now this film welcome to the jungle is another attempt gone wrong people are saying this is like lord of the files & comparing it to other films anyway this could have been a good film but sadly it fails.

the plot:storm leads a team of a company to a retreat on an island goes wrong when the pilot is dead & team is alone with no one to help.

the cast:all the guys and all the girls look nice including Megan Boone but what was Jean Claude Van Damme doing here along with his 2 children i have to say despite the bad script and dialogs given to him he does his best and gives few slapstick,comedy and hilarious moments Jcvd is actually a very warm,down to earth and funny guy.

there is nothing much here but characters being stupid on purpose and its a waste of time if you really love Jcvd then do watch this film otherwise avoid it my rating is 3/10.

Awkward

Author: kosmasp
18 April 2014

Let's put van Damme in the Jungle, pair him with Adam Brody and some other comedians and see what happens. That seems to be the motto of the movie. But while that might not sound that appealing, I thought it worked. Not always, see also some of the awkward lines van Damme has to deliver, but often enough.

The movie is more than predictable, you can outright guess when what is coming and who will be getting what (or whom). But that is not the point. And while there is a journey, it's the isolation of the Jungle and the characters (used to work in offices), that make this movie funny. Is there potential for more? Sure! But that doesn't mean this is a bad movie. It's just a inferior one to what some might have expected ... still funny though

Van-Damme makes this film watchable

Author: Mash-the-stampede from New Zealand
12 February 2014

I'm not going to get into any plot or detailed film descriptions in this review (if you can call it that). All I'm am going to write is what I did and did not enjoy about this film.

Firstly, the bad parts - the thing that really let's the film down is the writing - basically the majority of the actors just aren't given enough to play with. They all try really hard to get laughs, whether it be by forcing out swear words or resorting to penis and boob jokes that come across more than a little forced. The characters for the most part are likable enough but the comedic actors/actresses like Kristen Schaal are not used to their full comedic potential and it is disappointing to say the least.

TV actors Adam Brody and Megan boon are good on their roles and do their best at trying to keep the viewer from nodding off into a dull boredom coma.

So why give what really is just another average comedy film that would otherwise deserve only a 5 out of ten, a 7?

Well, the answer is obvious - Jean-Claude Van Damme! Not only does he save this film from being shelved completely - he manages to make it really enjoyable and worth watching and he really is hilarious!

I have always been a massive Van Damme fan ( or "Fan a Damme" as I like to put it) but that being said, I think comedy is really a route he should explore on a more regular basis. Every scene Van Damme appears in - he steals completely and the only laugh-out-loud scenes in the film are they ones with him in them! Clearly he is enjoying himself and it really shows on screen. Whether he is stealing the other actors lines or just making fun of himself - JCVD is the one and only reason you should watch this film and I give the extra 2 stars to this films rating due to his brilliant, comedic performance.

Hopefully this film is the comedic stepping-stone Van Damme uses to land a comedy role in a big-budget comedy film and to give him the big mainstream hit he really deserves :)

You are and always will be the man, Van Damme!!!

Maybe recruit Golding as an adviser?

Author: rcarley from United States
21 February 2014

This movie is obviously a modern take on "Lord of the Flies," by William Golding. The Talking Stick, the Hunter coming back with meat, fighters vs. thinkers, Conch...all the same elements. My opinion is that Golding tells it better.

The point of "Lord of the Flies" was that we as humans revert to barbarism without society as a mitigating factor. I guess that "Jungle" is trying to say this. Perhaps they should have left Golding's work alone until it could be improved upon? Even "Civilization" appearing at the end of the story mimicked the ending of "Flies...." Try again, Meltzer.

Van Damme is surprisingly good, the rest... not so much.

Author: Destroyer Wod from Quebec
18 February 2014

I am a typical Van Damme fan, i like his action movies, and yes i do recognize some of them are really crap(Desert Heat comes to mind...) and it seem lately he has been doing hit or miss. But one thing stand out, he seem to want to do something different in every movie, and for that i respect him as an actor. I was all aware knowing that this movie was not your typical Van Damme action flick, but rather a comedy. I do happen to love juvenile, borderline moronic teen comedies.

So i tuned up to watch this, and well surprisingly Van Damme is actually funny... when he is on screen. Thats the thing... his screen time is more or less limited as a supporting actor, yet he is the only funny part about the movie. I will say it, yes i did enjoy his performance. The girl playing Lisa also look pretty genuine and fitting the role, Adam Brody ain't a bad casting either, but the movie itself is so retarded... I won't go into details as this is a spoiler free review, but so much part made me face palm myself so badly. And i usually like this kind of humour, huge fan of Ace Ventura and such, but the concept of the movie, the location, it seem it didn't permit much funny set up and as some pointed out the jokes never came up.

I would say this movie COULD had been funny if done better, the cast did what they could with the pretty lame script and i don't blame them. Oh and yeah... Van Damme kids are in this...again, but there role are unimportant and more or less cameos. They play random guy #2 and random girl #5.

So i may be a bit harsh with the 4/10 review, probably more harsh than i usually am, but despise the good efforts of the cast and Van Damme, i can't give more to such a bad script and a very low budget feeling.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]