IMDb > "Cult" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Cult"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Cult" More at IMDbPro »

I'm gonna say it THIS SHOW IS NOT FOR STUPID

Author: Lin Redstar from Athens
1 March 2013

Unfortunately while writing those lines, the ratings of Cult are very low and it's more than possible that the show will be canceled. On the other side, i have to add that judging a quality of show based only by ratings is a big big mistake. But definitely it's a show which you will hate. Or love. CW definitely made a big turn, making such an interesting series in an era of too-many-series-too-many-kinds. CULT is something fresh, something totally different and i can assure you you will be more than surprised. To me the story runs on many different levels. Beside of the main story of a journalist who tries to find his brother while trying to figure out what the fuss is about, the show intrigues you and definitely teases your imagination about discovering and making hypothesis about the background of show. I hope we will stand a chance for a full season at least, if not a 2nd one. As for the techniques specs, if you want a blockbuster, you can always watch The Hobbit. Everything though is on the right place! Just dive in CULT's dark universe and enjoy!;)

Mystifying and Intriguing

Author: johnboyblues from United States
20 February 2013

This show has a good cast. All of them know what they are doing,even, if at times, we (the audience) may not.

As the lead-in synopsis suggest, this is a show within a show. You are watching a show about a cult that has a strange influence or following on viewers who watch the TV show "Cult", which is the show within the show.

Confused? I was at times watching the first episode but gradually I became acclimated to what was happening. It has me intrigued enough that I will undoubtedly watch another episode to determine if I can get any real enjoyment out of it. If you are into the hoodoo voodoo style of "666 Park Avenue" or the 'what's going to happen next' genre of "Lost", then this might be for you.

The plot is totally unbelievable but the storyline is good and creative so the series will probably be on a long list of future viewings of mine unless it meets an untimely demise as did "666 Park Avenue" which I also enjoyed (and critiqued).

Very clever and mysterious

Author: Brian McCaig from Glasgow, Scotland
15 March 2013

At last a series that keeps you on your toes. The first episode was slightly confusing at first but once you start to understand the show within a show format then it grabs your attention. If you have seen Cronenberg's Videodrome you will get the premise. Some elements of the show also reminded me of some of the basic elements of Twin Peaks and Lost too. My only gripe is the production values are needing a bit more polish, but that can be ignored as the story keeps things moving along nicely. It's about time we had an American series that has fantasy,dark humour and thriller aspects within the same show. The show has some real potential too. I'll be watching to see where this show goes.

save cult

Author: Angel Bowyer from Australia
11 April 2013

Guys, cult is an amazing show. It makes you think but you don't have to full concentrate. Apparently it is getting canceled and I am so upset because I've only recently started the show but I can say that I am a #truebeliever, I'm obsessed. There are really not many downsides to this TV show but so many positives, there are lines you could say to your friends and they could easily trend on twitter. I recommend Cult to everyone out there even if you are not into thriller dramas. This is the best new show and I honestly say it shouldn't be axed. There are many shows to come for 2013 but if cult continues it will be the most rated show. Give cult a chance. #savecult

Gritty and mesmerizing

Author: kstaylor-829-882972
19 February 2013

I'll admit my bias right now: I am a huge fan of Robert Knepper. Since Prison Break, I have tried to find anything with his name in the credits. There's just something about his acting style that pulls you in and makes you forget that you're watching a show. Without looking into the plot line (which is essentially a paradoxical loop: a show within a show attempting to create a cult within a cult among its illusionary audience aka the other characters and its real audience aka us), the show gets high ratings for Robert Knepper's Billy. The way that he turns towards the screen and talks about how everyone is his family draws you towards him as if you were a lost soul needing to belong. Thankfully, he's just an actor and at the end of the day you're not visiting fanboards trying to find out where his compound lies. If you watch this show for one thing, watch it for Robert Knepper's performance!

10 OUT OF 10!!! So Mysterious..

Author: dg-pryde from Vancouver, British Columbia
12 March 2013

I never make reviews for show... But I just had to make a review for this show. I LOVE IT! My girlfriend and I watch it every Tuesday on CW and we just keep on wondering what will be on the next weekend. I sure hope it doesn't get cancelled before the 1st season is over... I want to see it all! Love it. 10 out of 10. Very mysterious. Robert Knepper is a great actor. Love him. So is Matthew Davis. As well as Jessica Lucas... The film just makes you wonder what is going to happen next. It's almost as if it sucks you right in just like it sucks the people in that are keeping up to the show.. Not only I give it a 10 out of 10. But my girlfriend gives it a 10 out of 10. I'm the one who told her about it. Now she wants to watch it just as bad as me each week. Keep the episodes coming... No need to cancel this pilot.

Above average, by far

Author: Opinion02122 (zinitim@comcast.net) from United States
6 July 2013

This show definitely gets you thinking. It switches between scenes of a TV program and "real" life. For some people that back and forth may make it difficult to follow, but if you pay attention, it's very intriguing. My elderly mother would not be able to follow this show. And if you're jumping up to grab snacks, or tuck in the kids, or answering the phone, etc. you probably won't be able to follow either. You need to pay attention to the show to "get it." Personally, I love it. And I'm extremely sorry that the CW has canceled it. With some of the garbage they have on, I am truly surprised they canceled is great show.

Awesome!

Author: Mijatov Darko from Serbia
29 March 2013

This show is great! It is very complicated and very hard to follow, and that's why I like it so much - it's not for everybody. The only thing I'm worried about is that this show is not very popular just because not so big number of people can follow it, and it might be canceled after the first season. I would like it to grow and us fans can help it grow by spreading a good word about it. My only message to future "True Believers" is: if you like complicated stories and you're getting bored of other shows full of romance, shows where two people can't be together even if they try so hard, etc. this show is what you're looking for.

Too much, too soon, too long

Author: mararch from United States
14 July 2013

"Cult" started out with a very interesting, if not completely workable, premise: the blending of the "reality" of a TV show affecting the "reality" of the universe in which that show was being filmed and broadcast. There were even hints of the "reality" of the universe in which the show (also named "Cult") affecting our actual reality in which we were watching the show "Cult". A complex, mind-bending concept and quite interesting.

Unfortunately, somewhat like "The Event" or "Flash Forward", it suffers from a couple of problems that make it virtually impossible to shape a successful series from the concept.

Compare this show's structure to something like "Supernatural" or "Doctor Who". Both have a season long story arc, like many series, but are careful to keep the arc simple (such as stop the end of the world/universe by accomplishing these specific tasks) and then feeding in the accomplishment of those required actions throughout the season. The rest of the time they are able to focus on "monster of the week" or "one off" stories, which allows a viewer the luxury of missing an episode and not feeling completely lost when they return.

"The Event", "Flash Forward" and "Cult" have a single overriding mystery driving the entire concept, set in an environment that does not lend itself to smaller, "one off" mysteries within the overall concept. In the case of "Cult", it's a reporter trying to find his missing brother who somehow got involved in the cult of "Cult". He works on no other stories and is focused entirely on this one, very complex mystery. Which means that if you miss a single episode you are completely lost, emotionally if not merely for information.

And in order to pick up the thread once more, you have to go back to the missed episode to catch up. Sometimes you have to go back a number of episodes and review them to catch the clues that will explain a later part of the series.

And in the case of a generally humor deprived universe (as in "Cult"), with little in the way of sub-plot (as in "Cult"), where the entire focus is a relentless pursuit of the mystery, there's very little but the mystery to keep you interested.

And then it isn't entertainment, it's kind of like work.

So for every viewer who misses an episode, they may very likely decide it's just not worth it to go back, that there isn't enough in each individual show to draw them back in.

That isn't to criticize the quality of the work or the premise itself. It isn't to judge the production in any way. It's just that the story structure isn't suitable to a long running series.

But for some reason producers aren't quite getting that. This should have been a mini-series, not an open ended on-going series. With a fully developed thirteen episode story it might have been brilliant. But having to keep it open ended (so there's more story to shoot episodes of once you get done with all the ones you've planned already), there just isn't enough to hold an audience.

Perhaps that's why certain universes, (hospitals, police or detectives, legal, financial and so on) make for more successful long running TV series. They contain the logical limitless range of "one off" stories that are virtually self-contained and can keep the viewer interested.

"Cult", alas, does not.

I want to be mystery

Author: roman-kuba from Austria
26 June 2013

I am now about half way through the first Season ( the final episodes will be available at a later point ) and I have to say it's pretty hard to publish a final Opinion but I want to share my feelings till now. The Series starts off in a very interesting and promising way, leading you into the World of Cult. But for me many of the mystery Elements are to obvious and the complexity this series wants to reach isn't very high to be honest. It provides a very unique presentation of a "film in film" setting, what still keeps me interested to find out about the final vision of the creators, but during this journey some of the twists and turns are too easy to spot. If you are a fan of T-Bag, mystery and enjoy some small twists it's worth a watch. But don't expect the quality of a LOST series.