IMDb > Grown Ups 2 (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Grown Ups 2

Grown Ups 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

A lumbering, distasteful comedy that has a lower impression of you than you have of it

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
14 July 2013

There I sat, in stone-cold silence, not completely watching, but observing Grown Ups 2, one of the most desperate comedies of the year. Smiling maybe twice, groaning several times, rolling my eyes several more, and eventually closing them for a few seconds trying to imagine what a movie like this could've been if the quality of the talent matched the quality of the three screenwriters behind this project.

The first Grown Ups film wasn't great - or even good - by any means, but had the vibe of a cheery, stupid ABC Family movie. The strongest complaint I had about the original film carries over to this one immensely which is that given the immense amount of talent in this film, from the three title characters alone, this should be a much better, much funnier movie. Adam Sandler can be funny when he is given timing and a decent character, Kevin James can always be sweet, simple, and relatable, Chris Rock is one of the funniest comedians working today, and David Spade almost always knocks one out of the park in Rules of Engagement. It's dumbfounding to note that Taylor Lautner has the biggest laughs in the film, and after watching this, I have faith that after the redundant Twilight franchise he'll find work in some solid buddy comedies. However, the first inkling that Grown Ups 2 is terrible is by the sole fact that Rob Schneider himself decided other matters were worth is time than making a film that was almost guaranteed to be a hit.

The entire event is a plot less picture (not the good kind) that provides its audience with a pathetic array of scenes that seem more like throwaway skits from Saturday Night Live. It's a massively redundant, laundry-list of senseless setups with unfunny payoffs that usually involve something along the lines of bathroom humor, objectification, homophobia, and obnoxious behavior. In other words, it's another Sandler movie. It takes place entirely on the last day of school and revolves around the gang of Lenny (Adam Sandler), Eric (Kevin James), Kurt (Chris Rock), and Marcus (David Spade) returns, this time welcoming a more quiet, suburban lifestyle contrary to that of Lenny's in Hollywood, and the ridiculous series of sitcom antics that unfold overtime.

The plot stops there. What follows is, as stated, a series of cheaply-staged, poorly-performed, witless gags that do nothing but make one check the time. Among the barrage of questions I had while watching this film, one of which was, "who is the target audience here?" My mind resorted immediately to tweens and adolescents, who spend too much time giggling at bathroom humor as is. But then, as the film progressed, it began to redirect its senses to a more sentimental side, which only shows the immense tonal strain the film has which is "create cinematic anarchy for forty minutes before showing that this is a story about being true to ones roots and taking care of the family." The sentimentalism is then mixed with a strangely out of place eighties party that concludes the picture, which will definitely not be appreciated to the fullest extent by the previously mentioned tweens and adolescences, as many of the jokes and period references will fly straight over their head.

The problem with the film is that it seems so effortless and so poorly conducted. At least with various Sandler films like Happy Gilmore, Big Daddy, and even the unexpectedly raunchy That's My Boy, I could sense that it was made for somebody, be it adolescents or a bit older of a crowd and stuck with that persona. Grown Ups 2 is a film made with no agenda, no personality, and no spirit. It even resorts to the tireless Sandler cliché of having all the male characters being a cornucopia of stupidity and the female characters being nothing but eye-candy for the men. There are certain things I expect Sandler to be over now, what with approaching fifty in a few years.

You have a choice as a moviegoer this weekend and the several other weekends Grown Ups 2 is going to play. You can either a see a film that possesses gags as commonplace and predictable as a Fruity Pebbles commercial or use this time as an opportunity to seek out nearby independent features in theaters, at your local video store, or even on Netflix. Say you refute that suggestion and want to see Grown Ups 2 as a pleasant, feel-good movie. I know plenty of independent movies that are pleasant, feel good movies (Frances Ha is one of them and is still playing in many theaters nationwide). Wouldn't you at least want to give money to people who don't believe that you're sitting in the audience because you possess the attention-span of a newborn? Starring: Adam Sandler, Kevin James, Chris Rock, David Spade, Salma Hayek, Maya Rudolph, Maria Bello, Nick Swardson, Shaquille O'Neal, Peter Dante, and Allen Covert. Directed by: Dennis Dugan.

One of the worst movies I've ever seen

Author: syheulon from United States
20 July 2013

This movie is terrible, absolutely terrible. There is no story line, and every single one of the "grown up men" in excessively creepy. The jokes aren't funny and undoubtedly the best performance comes from SHAQ. I failed to find any humor in this movie and the film seemed to drag on and on. It was really hard to find anyone likable in this movie. All the characters were stiff and uninteresting.

I'm a fan of old Adam Sandler movies, but I feel that he has lost his comedic touch. This may be his first sequel, but I truly hope it's his last. Maybe it's time to retire Mr. Sandler.

All in all, do not waste your money on this awful movie.

I was embarrassed to be seen at this movie

Author: dcorvino from United States
22 July 2013

How can I fully express my total disappointment in this film? It may not be possible. I am one of those who actually liked the first Grown Ups. It had a plot, good characters and lots of fun. The sequel, on the other hand, is pointless, stupid, juvenile, and insulting. Not one redeeming quality in the entire movie. I contemplated leaving after the first 15 minutes! I forced myself to stay just to see if this mess would get any better. It didn't. The jokes concern nude men, homosexual men, brainless women, sex, bodily functions (over and over again!), and more of the same, repeatedly. No story, no acting, no thought, no point. I was the first one out of the theater and never looked back.

What a total waste of time.

what a waste of time

Author: Anthony LaRosa from United States
14 July 2013

I thought the first movie was bad... but this, this is the definition of a horrible movie, terrible acting with a stupid story and awful humor, this crap didn't even make me laugh once. I advise you to not watch this movie ever in your life unless you want to throw away an hour and a half of your life. Adam Sandler just can't make funny movies anymore. Do not watch this waste of time. I remember watching Kevin James on the king of queens and that is a really funny show, I really don't know why he is also constantly in movies that aren't funny. I guess its a way to make a quick buck in the industry, stick to real comedies, like This Is The End. Its a very funny movie :) Don't get me wrong, old adam sandler movies are funny, but he doesn't have the touch anymore.

A Terrible movie thats TERRIBLE!

Author: Christopher O'keeffe from United States
11 July 2013

Sandler's first sequel, is even lazier, dumber, and even less funny then I could have imagined. It's worse than most comedy sequels, and worse then most movies period. It's worse than Grown Ups, for heaven's sake! There's no plot, none, zip, nada. Characters and gags are set up without payoff much like in Jack and Jill. Almost every attempt at a joke falls flat. Anyone who wants to make a comedy should watch Grown Ups 2 as an example of one that does almost everything wrong and what to and what not to do when directing and making a mainstream comedy.

Almost every joke in this movie is pointless, absolutely pointless. The movie's first joke: a deer wanders into Sandler's house where it pees in Sandler's face. In a movie that had actual though: this would happen not just because a deer peeing on a man is funny, but for some reason that has a point, maybe to show that the family had moved out of the city and into the country. There is no point, none and only the dumbest of the audience will find this amusing.

Grown Ups 2 is worse then the first and is a close 2nd as the worst Sandler movie ever made, nothing in this movie had a point, there is no plot, the whole movie and setup basically everything was lazy and Rob Schneider may have actually made one of his best decisions ever by skipping out on not only one of the worst sequels ever but one of the worst comedies I've seen in a long, long time. 1 out of 10. Skip this movie and go see Pacific Rim or read a book or go outside, Do Anything!! Just Avoid this movie.

OMG Absolutety Stupid!

Author: Eagle H. from United States
12 July 2013

Went to see this and wish I could have worked all day instead!!! This was an absolute waste of time and money. Waste of my money for paying to see this crap and super waste of money spent on making this garbage. It has some funny moments, most of which are shown in the previews, but there is no real flow or storyline. It has some solid actors in it too, which is a shame, because it seems to me that if they cared about their careers at all, they should have been able to read the script and see that it would not work. I assure you, if you are over 12...no, over 7 years old, you will leave disappointed... Please don't waste your money too!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More or Less the same 2/10

Author: Jwil3698 from United States
12 July 2013

Despite being universally panned by critics and movie goers, Grown-Ups managed to perform well enough at the box office to warrant a sequel.

The plot follows Lenny (Adam Sandler) who has moved his family to the town he and his friends grew up in, there he meets up with his friends (Kevin James, David Spade, Chris Rock and Nick Swardson.

With the exception of a few additional cast members and many failed attempts at teaching morals, this movie is essentially the first movie. There's virtually no progression of story or character development, it's just one lame gag and pratfall after another.

If you enjoyed the first movie, i say wait for a rental. For everyone else, go and see Pacific Rim instead.

I was greatly disappointed.

Author: calebcunningham41 from United States
14 July 2013

When I heard that a second Grown Ups movie was coming out I was immediately excited. Being a a huge fan of the first one; my expectations were very high for the second. Obviously too high. This film had basically no point or plot at all. It was incredibly disappointing. I barely laughed at all. All of the jokes and humor was unbelievably crass and perverted. The movie was just plan dirty. The first one had its moments but this one felt like a big "one of those moments." The dialog was disappointingly gross in the end. Giving this a 3 out of 10 still seems a little to high and mighty even for this. I wasted my money. Don't waste yours and don't see this lame excuse for a sequel.

Dumb For The Whole Family!

Author: rtgray7
28 December 2013

Half way through this movie I stopped it and watched "Sharknado"...The best actor in this movie was a giant ex-NBA player-and he was horrible...Congress should preemptively pass a law forbidding the making of 'Grown Ups 3"...This is the first non-horror film to cause me to have nightmares...After watching this, I now hate the first "Grown Ups"...Forced viewing of this movie should replace water boarding at Guantanamo Bay...All who read this, it's too late for me, but please save yourselves and don't watch this film...SERIUOSLY FOLKS: I DID NOT LAUGH AT ONE JOKE THIS ENTIRE MOVIE. A disaster from the opening credits reverting to cheap, bathroom humor throughout. Honestly, this was the first movie I've ever watched with no storyline. I will be VERY apprehensive about EVER watching anything with this cast again.

Is this classed as a film? How can it be classed as a film?

Author: Alex_Hodgkinson from Nottinghamshire, England
28 December 2013

Grown Ups was alright in my opinion. I tend to enjoy almost any film that is thrown in my direction for some reason or another. Grown Ups had a few laughs which put the label of 'Alright' on it. Below average, but watchable.

Grown Ups 2, however, is the worst film I have ever watched. Seriously, if you can find a film that is more terrible than Grown Ups 2, please enlighten me. I mean, was this wrote by a five year old? Who can tell. The humour is astoundingly bad, there simply isn't a plot or a moral to the story and the entire film will just leave you cringing. I know one or two people who would like this, but those people also have the worst sense of humour that I have ever encountered.

How this was released, I do not know. It is simply a terrible film and I cannot find one good aspect about it. And to think Adam Sandler was once a good actor for a few years.

1/10. Never gave that to a film before. At least, not that I can remember.

Page 1 of 26:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]