IMDb > "Prisoners Wives" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Prisoners Wives" More at IMDbPro »

Great Series

Author: moviebp from United States
14 April 2013

I accidentally found this series and thought is was just going to be a time filler but instead found it to be one of the most enjoyable series that I have watched in a very long time. The fact that it is from BBC is even more likable. Each episode is devoted to the real life emotional and life changing events that occur in peoples lives that have a loved one in prison. This is no doubt something that most people do not give much thought to but the spouses of those confined are victims as well and face a multitude of problems in trying to deal with the judgments of society and how it affects them financially and emotionally. Emma Rigby was absolutely a charm in this series and Franchesca who is an equal to America's Middle Aged Barbie doll, Jennifer Coolidge. I hope this series is long lived and that it continues. I don't know whether or not it is scheduled for another season but I am sure hoping to find it on the schedule.

Fantastic!

Author: Natalie Brown from United Kingdom
28 October 2013

I cant believe I have only just discovered this fantastic program!!! Each episode is dedicated to one of the main women and the lenghts they have to go to, to get by without their husbands. Im not usually a fan of dramas with ensemble casts as they don't tend to take enough time to fully develop each character, but this one was different. Each of the main characters is fully formed with their own individual stories, not of which were clichéd. Every episode is well written and acted and there was even some laughs in there too! Pippa Haywood really steals the show as Harriet, a shy mother whose son is behind bars- every single scene with her in was just heartbreaking. I just wanted to give her a hug and tell her it would all be OK. I loved the way the main women supported each other through the ordeal of having a loved one in prison. If you like a good drama, then you'll love this! I hope the second series is as great!

.. take the time early on.. you will be rewarded

Author: bjarias from United States
3 July 2014

This some of the finest TV programming you will come across today.. with numerous performances that just leave you in awe of the talent exhibited. Look at most any actor in this show, and you will see something special. It could take a couple episodes to get 'hooked'.. but once you're 'in'.. you will NOT think of leaving again. There are so many top notch performances, it's hard to single out any one of them, but go on Bing.com and view all the images for Emma Rigby. She's not only got acting talent (proven by her outstanding performance in PW.. more than holding her own alongside the amazing Polly Walker).. but she is in addition without question, one of the most intensely alluring women on the planet. The list of high quality work goes on and on, involving almost every cast member. This is truly what all TV dramas should be striving for.. and what viewers should understand is made to look so easy, but only comes with much talent, hard work, and extreme dedication.

Really gripping series, it's just sad it didn't last longer

Author: TheLittleSongbird from United Kingdom
2 May 2016

'Prisoners' Wives', for me, was one of the highlights for each of the two years it aired.

It is a real shame however that 'Prisoners' Wives' only lasted two series, because the quality was so high and because Series 2 ended so open-endedly it should have lasted longer. The ending of series 2 did seem to give the impression that a third season was intended, and my only criticism of the show was that the Miller story that dominated much of the second series felt incomplete.

On the other hand, it is beautifully filmed and has a strikingly gritty visual style that suited the tone of the series brilliantly. Under the adroit direction, the show never feels rushed or draggy and neither does it feel over-the-top or blandly dreary. Music is well used and composed, only really being used when needed and when it was used it merged with the atmosphere more than competently.

'Prisoners' Wives' is a brilliantly written show, with a fair share of funny, poignant and suspenseful moments while it explores its subject matters incredibly intelligently and with taste. The stories for all the episodes of both series is gripping from start to finish, with the standouts being the harrowing writing for Gemma's situation in series 1 the poignant handling of Harriet's story in the second series and the tension of the climax of the last episode.

The characters are written in a compellingly real way, while the acting across the board is excellent. Particularly good are Pippa Haywood, who is heart-breaking, Polly Walker, who commands the screen with intensity, and Emma Rigby, who has come on hugely since 'Hollyoaks' (though she was always one of the better assets of that) with her emotions being quite genuine. Jonas Armstrong, Adrian Rawlins and Iain Glen are especially strong out of the men, though Owen Roe induces a few tears too as Brendan.

All in all, really gripping and it is sad that it didn't last longer. 9/10 Bethany Cox

Superb

Author: East Gosford-Thaimassage
31 January 2015

What a brilliant series,

Superbly acted and directed.

One of the best TV series I've seen in the last 5 years.

Riveting. I can only hope there is another couple of series coming. There is no a single weak acting performance. Its realistic, its gritty yet tender. This series has hooks pulling you in from start to finish. Some of the acting is stellar. i cannot rate this show highly enough. Do yourself a favour and download the whole series. Like The Walking Dead...its one of those shows where one episode is not enough. English dramas are generally good but this is top shelf.