IMDb > "Do No Harm" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Do No Harm"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Do No Harm" More at IMDbPro »

A Really Great Show In Every Sense

Author: Jason Daniel Baker from Toronto, Canada
6 February 2013

This show features Steven Pasquale in a dual role as altruistic neurosurgeon Jason and his rough-edged, womanizing criminal alter ego Ian. Pasquale brilliantly, fearlessly portrays both characters showing shocking differences between the two of them even though they look exactly the same. One look at Ian and the viewer knows he is someone different.

Is Jason's eagerness to repress Ian well-founded prejudice based upon a large critical mass of evidence suggesting that Ian is irredeemably diabolical, brutal and sadistic? Or is Ian just impulsive, primal and drawn to trouble that he can't always get himself out of? The machinations of both personalities of the lead character in attempting to thwart the agenda of the other make for a continuously intriguing point-counterpoint as they fight for control. Ian is unpredictable but Jason has been able to find ways around that in the past and continually formulates new ones.

Everywhere they take this concept is interesting as both sides of the lead character are well-defined and contrasted with each other. It gives the audience biting commentary on self identity and human nature. Few shows or films I have reviewed offer as sophisticated a take on either. Few shows or films I have reviewed offer as entertaining exploration of a similar theme.

There is also not a single supporting performance on this show which is anything less than exceptional. Alana De La Garza, Phylicia Rashad among others are intensely convincing helping solidify the realism of a very bold premise.

Given that this series is excellent but has horrifically bad ratings I really can say that it is the most underrated show in TV history. Sadly TV audiences en masse prefer that goofy Sherlock Holmes rip-off on CBS or ABC's 'Scandal' in the time-slot.

Pretty Entertaining, Deserves A Chance

Author: Sockfilms from United States
1 February 2013

I can not stand that this show was getting picked on before it even had the chance to get out the gate. It is an old concept of Jekyll and Hyde split personalities, but a classic concept can still work if the story telling is fresh,and in this case I think it is.

Having watched the pilot I have to say that I was most of all surprised by the acting range displayed by Steven Pasquale. I remember him playing one of the less intelligent fire fighters in "Rescue Me", and I didn't think I'd be able to see him playing a surgeon. He certainly leaped well beyond my expectations.

I won't give too much away, but the storyline is, I think, a fresh one (I hear it is a rip off a British show, but having not seen that show I'm going completely off what I am seeing from this episode and judging the show by itself). The protagonist(Dr. Jason Cole) is a doctor with an evil split personality that he has suppressed for years, but is now unable to. The split personality is angry and is trying to ruin his life. Jason finds creative ways to derail his split personality's attempts to sabotage him.

What I think will make this series interesting for seasons to come is that at the end of the pilot Jason makes a pact with his alter ego to stay out of his business if he will stay out of Jason's. In the meantime he will be trying to cure himself of his alter ego. I believe this will lead to two alternate story lines that will weave in and out, at least for a while, adding some complexity to the story.

Also adding complexity are some issues from the past and a woman from Jason's past who his alter ego hurt and its not all explained leaving some mystery and some room for characters and story to develop and grow.

I'm not saying that this show blew me away by any means, this will definitely not fill the void that House left in my heart, but I am saying that this show should be given more of a chance than its been getting. They are trying to make a solid show and are succeeding in a few areas. Give it a few episodes before kicking it down a pit.

Give this show a chance to breathe

Author: my-minds-mind
4 August 2013

with seeing the first 2 episodes i was hooked loved the concept. Then i heard that that was it: it had been cancelled. How can this be i thought. Are people watching this show or not because this is AWESOME!!!!!!!!! I think that this show is in the top 5 best shows to date, so i don't understand why it got cancelled. They have started to air the rest of the series, but after that that is it. Which is a shame because it is a very good show. I just hope that with the airing of the rest of the series. It grabs the attention of the public and a fan base forms.

It Really does deserve it.

Poor marketing killed this show

Author: foundsomefun from United States
12 April 2013

The marketing of this show killed it. It didn't pull people in to watch it. They wanted to be "Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde" without coming out and saying it. People love that concept of the good vs evil all rolled into one person. But people want instant gratification and want to be told... this is what it is... and not play games. If the network wanted the audience they should have went after them and grabbed it.

The commercials for the show were too cat and mouse about the series plot. Look at "Hannibal", there is nothing ambiguous about the concept. "Elementary" is the catch-phrase for Sherlock Holmes. "Dexter" was good by day... serial killer by night... they were never ambiguous about it.

Those behind "Do No Harm" didn't have the stones to put it out there about the character. Those behind it didn't have the stones to go after what they needed. Those behind it, stabbed it in the back before it even made it to premier.

omg this show needs to stay on air!

Author: Racquall from United States
7 September 2013

since seeing the very first episode actually from seeing the previews on TV I was interested in the show, watched the 2 episodes then there was no more which was oh so bad! When I saw it was back on TV EVERY week I watched it whether it was on TV or hulu but i ALWAYS watched it! I just finished an episode which I think is the last episode and if this show doesn't continue I am gonna flip I am way too into it for it to get canceled so please, keep it on!!! If it does get canceled I need the writers to give me a call and tell me what happens next! If you agree with me please post as well telling NBC they need to keep the show going! pppppplllllllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssseeeeeeeeee!!!!

Please Make Season 2.......

Author: sarahjc85 from United Kingdom
10 September 2013

Me and my husband began watching the series Do No Harm last week and were immediately hooked. We loved how well Steven Pasquale plays both characters and you always know which one is which. The most entertaining par of this story line is the element of humour between the alters when they try to battle with each other, attempting to ruin each others lives, you just cant wait to see what they do next.

You do begin to like both characters although you immediately believe Jason is the one who should live but you soon realise they are 2 lives sharing 12 hours each and you begin to like both alters in different ways, undecided which one should live!

We watched the final episode yesterday and it has been left on such a cliff hanger that we were gutted we had to wait for the next series only to find out there may not be a another series.

It cannot end like this, we need to know what happens next. Since watching this series i have got my entire family watching it and i am shocked to hear that the ratings were low. All the reviews i am reading are good and it must of failed due to it being aired against another big series or the marketing wasn't good enough.

SO PLEASE GIVE IT ANOTHER CHANCE AND LET US KNOW WHAT HAPPENS NEXT :)

Bring this show back for second season

Author: Dpalumbo6 from United States
25 August 2013

This show is definitely worthy of a second season !! This show concept is different and intriguing .... How can a network cancel a series after two episodes? Without giving it at least the first season which the network already bought & paid for!

With increased marketing .... It will be a success that NBC is so desperately in need of! The cast is incredible and the on screen chemistry developed early on in the first two episodes - - If NBC doesn't pick it up for another season ... I hope another network does and NBC watches the show become the hit that it has the potential to be!

I've kind of already seen this before...

Author: Tom Fuller from United States
1 February 2013

Similar concept to Christian Slater's "My Own Worst Enemy" -- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1217239/ Concept is interesting, though the show quickly moves into disbelief. It would be nice, with all of the massive writing talent that exists for shows and movies to not see so many ideas being so completely unoriginal. The production values are acceptable, as is the acting, but the complete impossibility of someone existing in this manner -- let alone as a "neurosurgeon by day, hedonist by night" -- simply "does not compute." I hope the characters become a little better developed and perhaps our protagonist (antagonist?) will be able to survive past mid-season.

Brilliant New Show! Edge of your Seat Drama/Thriller

Author: Jamie Bonner from United States
11 September 2013

What a great show. Takes a couple of episodes to "get" it. And, the stories progressively get better. When I first read the description, I though it would be Dexter'ish, but it is totally different. The cast is great, BUT, it is the main character who makes the show. He is brilliant. Whoever did the casting on this did a great job in that respect. The rest of the cast is good, but not good like him. He makes the show. And, well, he is very good-looking. Nice to see a new face on the scene vs. another recycled actor. This show is a great drama/thriller, keeping you on the edge of your seat. Great story-line. Great for men or women, so not just for one gender. He plays a neurosurgeon during the day and then at a certain time at night, and with no provocation, he "turns" into quite the character and then he remembers none of it. His night-time activities tend toward the more sultry, excessive, dangerous and provocative, which makes it extra interesting. Then, by day, you get a good "doctor" TV drama line. I am just on episode 8, Season 1, but I love it. It does take a couple of episodes to start really liking it, so hang in there. Good job!

its like they knew all along they would be cancelled and thus didn't care.

Author: t hamilton from Australia
8 September 2013

"do no harm" is a show about a successful, brilliant neurosurgeon that battles a strange medical mystery in which he shares half his life with a sociopath alter ego. The show begins after a 5 year stint where Jason has been keeping the "beast within" at bay using a drug, which he has now has developed an immunity to the drug. Thus begins a downward spiral in which an angry sociopath alter ego tries to destroy your carefully constructed world.

The show began with some strong merits, dialogue and acting are all up to par and the polarity between the altruistic doctor do-good and his "gives no shits" alter is stark.

However this show has the unfortunate tendency to use story devices that make you want to take blunt objects to the cranium of its writers. Without spoiling anything specifically, there is a plethora of moments wherein jason "the good guy" is seconds away from overcoming his nemesis and writing his life and the many wrongs his alter, ian price, has committed.

And maybe 6 or 7 times throughout the 13 miserable episodes the way his carefully laid plans are foiled? He specifically tells someone that under no circumstances are they to do whatever it is, call him or tell someone else whatever it might be, tells them in the most firm and assertive and passionate way it is possible to communicate with another human being, and even though they solemnly promise they will not do whatever it is, and with no knowledge of his jason / ian schedule (he flips from one to the other every 12 hours at 8:25) they choose the precise moment he becomes evil murderous ian to pop by and say "hey guess what you're planning to do to yourself and i know i promised i wouldn't say anything but if i didn't randomly break my word the story would end".

They don't even betray him knowing what they are doing, which would at least make their decisions meaningful, they just happen to, despite being begged not to, call up and ruin jason's plan.

There's a woman who the evil ian hurts in a visceral way, almost destroying her life / ending her life. Jason then saves her, then ian finds out and hurts her again. This predates the 5 years of drugged sleep to stop him coming out. After he does resurface he stalks the woman forcing a confrontation. But when push comes to shove despite all the terrible things she knows about one man and all the goodness she has witnessed and knows to be prevalent in the others' life, she chooses the evil personification and once again ruins the plans of the good one.

I strongly suggest not watching this, the show was cancelled on the second aired episode, and although the network may not have known it at the time i for one am glad people were instead watching the lesser evils of americas got talent and dance moms.