IMDb > "Rectify" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rectify"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rectify" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Profound In Every Sense ~

Author: charlestownbeach from Rhode Island
19 April 2013

This series has the quality and intensely personal nature as "The Killing" and "Breaking Bad", but so far, without the violence.

It's incredibly well acted and gives us some time to know the characters, which is something I truly appreciate. It might not be action-packed enough for some viewers, but if you enjoy observing what each character is experiencing and reading between the lines a little, you'll quickly warm up to the unique premise of this series.

Personally, I already feel very attached to the lead character and am feeling tremendous empathy for him. In my view, without emotional attachment to the characters, there is no show!

I am greatly looking forward to this mystery unraveling and I find myself wondering, exactly how will JUSTICE be rectified...

....and who will rectify it???

10/10 All the Way

Author: filmchaser from United States
23 April 2013

Well, after the first episode of watching Aden Young embody the character of Daniel Holden, I'm hooked. Daniel Holden was arrested for the rape and murder of his girlfriend at the age of 16, convicted and sent to live on death row at the age of 18, and 20 years later after living on death row in a cell by himself, preparing himself to die and be forever gone from this earth, has survived 5 stays of execution long enough for technology to catch up with forensic science and, unbelievably, Daniel Holden is released to his family because it is determined that his DNA was not found at the scene of the crime. So now the big question is: Will the current prosecutor re-try a 20 year old case? The whole town has an opinion, and while Daniel Holden walks around like a man in his own dream, quietly and painfully processing freedom, relating to a family that is 20 years older, and adjusting to the overwhelming overload of his sensory perceptions, danger is lurking as those involved in the original case begin to realize what is at risk if a new trial takes place. It's too soon for all of us, the audience, to know what is at risk because, wisely, the story is unfolding slowly and painstakingly like a new flower. The actors are all superb as they falter and try to think of how to talk to Daniel. Daniel is unsure, awkward, and quiet...very, very quiet. Aden Young's face can show about 5 emotions all at the same time, and in one scene as he is describing in a perfect soft, southern drawl his prison "initiation" experience for his shallow step-brother, Teddy, Daniel's expression changed from placid, to subdued, to quietly earnest, to a moment of sheer madness, before he snapped back to placid, leaving Teddy speechless and a little bit afraid. Totally alone and silent, this tall man with the haunted eyes drew me in as he walked to a baseball field and just laid down in the grass. How can such a gentle person be guilty of such a heinous crime? Who committed this crime and let this sweet soul suffer 24/7 for 20 years waiting to die, stealing his youth? Is this man guilty, innocent, reformed, or just a stone cold killer with a good con going? I don't know yet. So I will stay tuned.

Excellent, thoughtful drama

Author: larajane from London
21 April 2013

I've watched the first two episodes after being tempted by a promo prefaced by 'from the producers of Breaking Bad'. Reading reviews about its slow pace put me off slightly, but I went ahead with the first episode and was hooked about 15 minutes in by the writing, the excellent use of silences and the sheer quality of the performances. Aden Young is mesmerising, his thousand yard stare bringing nuance to every scene he is in, and he is ably supported by a cast I know from nowhere else, with the exception of Adelaide Clemens. The pace is slow, but not in a frustrating way - it seems entirely appropriate to let the audience experience the bewildering, overwhelming experience of being free after two decades on Death Row, and while after two episodes, I am no wiser as to Daniel's innocence, I do find that I genuinely care about it, and that's pretty much the most important thing to me in any drama: I should care about the people (like them, hate them) otherwise I'm just watching moving images. Having said that, the moving images are pretty compelling also - the use of light and the photography are evocative, as is the atmosphere of the small, southern town and the sometimes claustrophobic interiors. Genuinely impressive TV-making; I'm pleased to know there's more to come.

Aden Young is mesmerising in this thoughtful compelling show about how a crime affects a family and community

Author: deardarkness from United Kingdom
20 April 2013

This is a review for the first 3 episodes of Rectify.

The recently concluded and utterly superb Top of the Lake has a partner well in crime in the form of Rectify.

Like Top of the Lake, Rectify is magnificently acted and directed and both concern how crime can affect a community. Rectify deals with an issue I have been fascinated with for some time and that is people being wrongly accused of a crime and sent to prison. Only instead of showing us the legal wrangles the family and lawyer would have to go through Rectify picks up when Daniel Holden (Aden Young) is released after new DNA evidence throws his case out. Daniel has served 19 years on Death Row for rape and murder and now has to adjust to coming up and living with his family again.

One of the genius things about the show is whilst the evidence gets Daniel out of jail it doesn't necessarily prove his innocence and he could face a new trial. Also as an audience we really don't know if he is guilty or not, even three episodes in I have no clue if he was involved or just the two males we saw briefly in episode one.

Daniel is a bit strange, a bit weird but is that just an effect of 19 years shut away in a cell or was he always like that? Does it mean he has a hidden more sinister agenda? Or perhaps just a little eccentric?

Most of the town seem to think he is guilty including the State Senator and the Sheriff. His family or at least his sister Amantha (Abigail Spencer) is convinced of his innocence, I think his half brother Jared (Jake Austin Walker) does as well. Meanwhile step brother Ted, Jr. (Clayne Crawford ) seems to care more about how it will affect the family business than getting to the truth whilst his wife Tawney (Adelaide Clemens) seems to have formed a touching connection to Daniel. As for the mother Janet (J. Smith-Cameron), she is just overwhelmed by the entire situation.

Rectify was originally developed by Ray McKinnon for AMC with the intention of Justified actor Walton Goggin playing the role of Daniel. Whilst I would loved to have seen his take on the character I have to say Aden Young has impressed me so much in the role I can't imagine anyone else now. Daniel has this awkwardness about him which is natural after being away from the real world for so long and Young brings to the character this mesmerising charm. You can't help but listen to what he has to say, listen to his experiences and life view.

Whether or not Daniel committed the crime isn't really the central point to the show, it is about how prison changes a person, about how life moves on for everyone else and how they have to deal with his return. How victim's family have to cope when the justice they thought had been served perhaps hadn't been.

Rectify is every bit as good as dramas airing on HBO, AMC and Showtime. I can't wait to see where Rectify ends up and the other intense beautifully filmed dramas Sundance Channel commissions.

Welcome to deep south

Author: jftrehorel from Indonesia
8 May 2013

While Sundance Festival may discover fragile intelligent independent movies, it also sometimes expose badly filmed,casted and written cheap ones. So I was curious to see what Mr Redford channel would offer for its first series. The first scene gave me an early hint,it is magnificent, this man in the check out room, in between the world he knows, obscure and the frightening sunny world outside, limited dialog. This series will be cinematic, base on directing more than scenario ( a good one though). This is not a judiciary story but the story of a man, mysterious, profoundly changed by its jailed time, who was still teenage when the movie of its life took a brutal stop. It add to the subtlety to ignore whether he did it or not and his silence about it. The dysfunctional recomposed family is source of lot of deep moment. Few examples : When Ted junior asks his wife to get naked, the humiliation he impose her, like an object. Then, when he is about to leave for a seminar, she turn on the hairdryer and next image, we see what we guess, her hair are already dry,she just doesn't want to listen to him. Ted, the villain so far, manipulative with his stepmother but way too idiot to manipulate Daniel (golf scene). I stop here,so many great moments in this show. The atmosphere,idiosyncratic a bit remind me of the cult Twin Peaks, the country people, closed community who buries their secrets. The quality of the dialog remind me of Six feet under. This is really the type of series I love and so far, along with House of cards, my favorite this season

Jean-Francois Trehorel

P.S Please forgive me for my limited vocabulary, I'm not a native speaker, just a regular french guy

First episode is well above average

Author: Intellectual Adult
17 April 2013

I should start by saying that this is not the kind of series that suits me and I will not be watching. However, I can appreciated it has quality. This could be a show for you.

The subject is complex and yet the creators are taking few shortcuts. This is rare as well as greatly appreciated. Even the characters that could easily be pigeonholed are given the opportunity to develop a modicum of dimension.

The cast itself is an odd ensemble that, nonetheless, comes together well. The acting is appropriate to the piece, dramatic but without excesses.

I wish there was more TV like this.

A classy affair

Author: Sridhar Rao from India
22 May 2013

In recent times TV channels have been spewing out shows after shows but without any class. Sundance has come up with Rectify which defies all the current trends. Rectify is not a show which is recommended for people who like fast paced storyline and actions. Rectify has a slow narration. It allows room for the characters to feel the feelings and act without saying words. The direction is beautiful. you almost feel like its a work of art. The background music is the life of the show. It has been beautifully crafted to capture and express every emotion the lead is feeling. Some of the dialogues feel straight out of a novel. Rectify is TV at its best. I am really glad to have taken the time out to watch the entire first season. I hope the second season doesn't commercialize and dilute the offering of the show.

A fantastic TV Drama that needs to be watched

Author: Kristopher Marshall
28 April 2013

This, whilst produced by the same people who produced Breaking Bad, doesn't have tense, action and the characters aren't under constant threat. Rectify is more of a character-study than a deep narrative, there isn't a giant mystery or conflict it strives to describe a much more personal experience of the protagonist, and does so wonderfully. It is about how one man deals with life outside of prison walls after serving 19 years within them, he is released with no smooth transition and is literally thrown into a world he doesn't understand. Rectify is about a man who has been left stuck in the past when the world has changed so much without him. The production values, writing and cinematography are all on par with Breaking Bad's extremely high standards.

Best new drama of 2013

Author: zombiebird from United Kingdom
7 May 2013

This is un doutably the best new drama of 2013, I know the year isn't even half over as yet, but I really doubt any other show can beat this, in fact I'm not even sure if returning series could compete with this.

In 6 episodes this show manages to take you to a depth which a lot of others fail to achieve in their entire run. The show is just so amazingly well done that 1 is almost tempted to label it as "flawless", although I understand that that might be a bit much.

Right from the 1st episode you realise that each scene, each dialogue and each silence, is pregnant with meaning, a meaning that slowly takes you deeper into this word and these characters. Most of the episodes are written by creator Ray McKinnon and that in itself is win situation in my book, whenever you have a show runner that's also handling the writing/directing then chances are that the show is going to be more focused and rounded, going on a single trajectory rather than having people just throw random ideas around.

The characters are all complex in their own way, although that might not be obvious at 1st, and as the show unfolds you start to see different sides of them which slowly emerge out adding shape to their personalities. Daniel, of course is the most interesting character of all, and after the 6 episode season you perhaps know him no more than you did when you started.

The show also presents a wonderful portrait of small town, rural American life. Not just in the settings and locations but also in the social environments, the beliefs and prejudices of the people who live there.

To sum up, this is an absolutely brilliant new show, and if you like through provoking, philosophical, intense dramas, then this is the show for you.

Overall loved the show

Author: aprill_16
5 May 2013

Absolutely loved everything about the show it is right up my ally i am very interested in psychology and the justice system and have a great understanding of it. It's nice to finally have something out there that people can see and understand what people go through when they come out and how it affects them and how they are treated how it takes away their humanity i like the prison flash backs and how it shows what he went through to connect to why he is acting a certain way or feeling a certain way. It's accuracy is bang on his thoughts feelings actions etc. I highly recommend this show and i will most definitely be passing it on to family in friends i hope this show gets picked up i will be watching for sure. I enjoy all the characters they are all played very well and with no particular familiar faces which i think is nice too. I think people could learn a lot from this show and how people view these situations. Criminal or not these people are human and nobody should have that stripped away. Everyone makes mistakes and we are all struggling to understand ourselves and find ourselves and who we are. I think it is very relate able even for someone who hasn't been in this situation just to be misunderstood in general. Love love love this show!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]