IMDb > "The Neighbors" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Neighbors"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"The Neighbors" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

Worth watching. Show deserves a shot to see how it develops.

Author: thevagusgirl from United States
20 September 2012

Having been underwhelmed by the trailer, I found the pilot much funnier than I had expected. It's essentially a show about the trials and tribulations of family life, with overtones of "The Coneheads" and shades of "Monty Python".

The pilot has laugh out loud moments and the cast did a good job. I have a fondness for sight gags and there are some great ones in the opener. The premise was set up with ruthless efficiency (that's a compliment); the creative strength and viability of the series will only be apparent after a few regular episodes. It has the potential to attract a broad audience; kids should find it funny and anyone who likes what I will call absurdist "British" humor will find it a refreshing change from the swathes of sitcoms about how awful it is to be in your 20s. This show is different, in a potentially good way, and it deserves a shot. I hope that it gets a run to see where it goes. It certainly has a prime time slot.

Pleasantly surprised!

Author: throatmotor from Canada
4 October 2012

Where this show is so new I'm inclined to keep this short and sweet: I'm unsure why some are rating this show so low, as it seems to have been quite clearly written and designed for fun. I'd like to suggest more cynical viewers lower their proverbial gun barrels and take pleasure in a show that simply wants to be silly, creative and a little bit cheesy...as opposed to the barrage of deep message-laden pseudo-preachy programs that we're currently bombarded with.

I found the pilot a bit shaky in spots, but I can't recall a pilot of any program where this wasn't the case. The characters were well-portrayed; I found the acting particularly strong given the subject matter. It also had a decent spectrum in relation to how it will relate to adults and younger viewers; hence the steady-fire logic of visual and vocal quips that kept things rolling along nicely.

I'm trying to be as vague as possible as I'd rather entice people to check it out, instead of spoil it by trying to summarize or describe it adequately in text. It's a situational-style sitcom with Sci-Fi overtones. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and clearly has a lot of fun in the production. I found the writing particularly clever in many spots, and laughed out loud on many occasions. I can only hope the humour and writing stays strong throughout the season, because if that starts to weaken, it may deflate the whole concept altogether. Nonetheless, I've found it to be a decent breath of fresh air so far.

Much funnier than I expected!

Author: mongoose-maelstrom from Oklahoma
26 September 2012

As a fan of the Coneheads, this familiar premise held some hope for me, but I was prepared to be disappointed. However, within the boundaries of where a show like this is aimed, this was a very funny show. No audience laughter and no talking to the camera were welcome assets.

We laughed out loud several times. The jokes moved quickly and were a pleasant mix of the surreal and absurd. The cast was solid and I especially enjoyed the fact that Jami Gertz was the only actor I was all that familiar with.

Looking forward to more and hope that they can sustain the comedic tone established in the pilot.

Great new show, funny and different... finally a change from all those reality TV shows and boring other night time series

Author: bd7349
26 September 2012

The pilot episode was hilarious and made me laugh out loud many times. It has the possibility to become great show. It's so much more different than all the other shows that seem to be airing on TV nowadays. In the end, it's a great, funny, entertaining, and genuinely new show.

If you like a good funny show that has a genuinely different plot, you'll love this show. Watched this with my mom and dad tonight and they think it's a little strange, but very funny. Definitely has a lot of potential.

I'd highly recommend you at least watch the pilot episode before calling this a flop. Very funny new series.

Writing and acting is wicked funny

Author: nocalnut from United States
10 October 2012

It's so nice to finally pick a show that looks like it won't be prematurely canceled or moved around until viewers loose interest. This show is written so well and really is quite funny. The cast is remarkable and for only watching three episodes, I'm hooked. My husband also likes it and it meshes well with Modern Family, The Middle, and Suburgatory. Yeah for finding a show that will last.

Also, for what it's worth, my favorite actor is the gal who plays the character of "Jackie Joyner Kersee." Her accents and mannerisms are hilarious and she sells it as the alien mom. I'm going to go look up her name so I can hopefully edit this and list her name. She's golden.

Wonderful Show

Author: eiserlois from United States
15 October 2012

I love this show. It is the best new comedy since The Big Bang Theory. The characters are a perfect blend. I love the kids, the facial expressions the concept, I just love it all. I have watched each episode more then once because I keep showing it to people who haven't watched it yet and I laugh at the same lines all over again. I had my 19 year old grandson watch it with me and he couldn't wait to tell his friends about this show. We were both laughing so hard and enjoyed it so much. I didn't think I was going to like this show at all but now

I can't wait till Wednesday. I have been talking about it all week. This is what the world needs less of those stupid reality shows and more comedies so we can laugh. Laughter is the best medicine for all of us. Thanks again for a wonderful show.

Too Good, Too Lighthearted to Last?

Author: giggedyguy from United States
12 October 2012

I've only seen Lenny Venito once before and I was so impressed with him I knew immediately this show would shine. He's one of those guys who can be funny just standing still. And then there's Jami Gertz who displays perfect comedic timing in this show, not to mention she gets some of the best lines.

There's a lot that would seem to be formulaic on the surface yet grows on you very quickly as the premise just gives a neat context for some zany situations. Just about every male alien seems to be latently gay until you realize they are just innocent alien SUPER NERDS that have no clue how human men are "supposed" to behave. The cultural misunderstandings occur frequently and actually are quite funny, even if you expect the punchline. And the physical comedy displayed by Toks Olagundoye (AKA Jackie Joyner Kersee), being a giant Amazon Woman From the Moon (I'm guessing), have given my roommate and I some great laughs. She's a superb actress (The Real Housewives of New Jersey skit was simply amazing) who obviously truly understands how to be a comedian.

There's a lot more I can say about this show, but it's not necessary as it stands on it's own and doesn't need IMDb reviewers to defend it. I just worry when a show displays real charm that's DIFFERENT from other shows (The Finder immediately comes to mind, WHAT A CRIME!), as those kinds of shows take some time to create a real following. Executive producers don't give a DAMN about whether a show makes viewers happy; they only care about commercial profit--which would come if they only had the damn patience to give these shows enough time to get the notice they deserve. Chuck, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Everybody Loves Raymond, Seinfeld, ER and the list goes on, to name some prime examples. Not to mention a lot of shows are viewed online nowadays (not to mention file sharing) , making TV shows appear to have low ratings when it's quite the opposite. It's the COMMERCIALS that aren't being watched.

Anyway, the actors in this show bring real life to their respective characters and I hope they succeed in making it popular enough to dodge the chopping block. So watch it and enjoy!

Funniest doomed show since Better Off Ted

Author: Charles Herold (cherold) from United States
18 October 2012

I don't have much hope for the future of The Neighbors. Sure, it's wildly funny, Toks Olagundoye (who I've never seen before)is brilliant, and the show's wacky sensibility and great sight gags (like a formation of pie-carrying aliens) make it the season's best new comedy, but way too many people just don't like it. The reviews have been very poor (as opposed to the almost universal praise heaped on the terrible Ben and Kate), and the average rating on IMDb and TV.com is low.

This is Better Off Ted all over again. It's wildly funny but for some reason only a select group of us seems to recognize the fact. I am just bracing itself for its inevitable cancellation, and wish Toks and the equally funny and obscure Simon Templeman better luck with their future careers.

Nice series, hope it gets renewed

Author: elicatis
30 November 2012

This is a cute series, light hearted and fun. It treats one taken-for- granted subject of our human life per episode and it manages to turn it on all sides in a nice way...does what very well exactly what'the new normal' fails terribly: produces interesting characters that we care about, nice stories, criticize slightly some aspects of daily life that are less than ideal and reframe our daily life, while actually manage to be funny and not fall in an overly judgemental storyline. OK, it might not be the comedy of the century, but its really catching some steam lately and it deserves proper time and attention to develop. I read some awful reviews of the pilot and i totally disagree with most of them. This is a nice series, with nice and funny actors, good story and quite some laughs. Very enjoyable...let's give it some support!

not quite 3rd Rock, but funny

Author: russmillerwy-957-682439 from Laramie
17 November 2012

3rd Rock from the Sun is a tough act to follow. The Neighbors does a pretty good job, but uses wit and timing instead of zaniness and slapstick comedy to get its laughs. That makes it consistently funny, just not side-splittingly funny. Naming all of the aliens after sports heroes was an inspired choice-- they'll never run out of funny names (a tot named Dick Butkus?), and the fact that the aliens are dorky doubles down on the running gag. So are all their matching outfits/uniforms that remind us of golf clothes from the 1970s.

Also on the upside, some of the cast members are real gems. I don't know where Toks Olagundoye has been up til now, but she's got real movie star power as the glamorous alien mom. Her rapid fire back and forth with alien husband Simon Templeman, who has perfect comedic timing and never wastes a good line, are my favorite parts of the show. Jami Gertz and Max Charles are good enough as the earthling straight man/woman, but I think maybe too much of the plot compares their unfunny ordinariness to the aliens' backwards/upside down view of what humanity is like. The child actors are pretty good, too, even if the show relies a little too much on alien child Ian Patrick's precociousness. Clara Mamet is exceptional as the brooding, frighteningly calculating and cynical teenager.

I was worried that after a few episodes the running gags would wear thin and they'd run out of ideas. Not so at all! I've just finished the Thanksgiving episode and, if anything, it's getting better and better.

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]