IMDb > It's Christmas, Carol! (2012) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

It's Christmas, Carol! (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Carol's Christmas is Worth Catching:)

Author: abcj-2 from South Carolina, USA
19 November 2012

I have been in an early Christmas mood this year. It all started when I saw ads for the Countdown to Christmas on the Hallmark Channel last week. I don't even regularly watch the channel, but I ran across Richard Thomas in another movie and got hooked. I've seen 5 Hallmark movies this weekend, and I may still watch a few more. If I don't, then it was worth seeing 4 mediocre but fun films in order to discover this 1 extremely cute Christmas tale. Caution: This movie is for romantics and people who love happy endings without a complete overdose on the saccharine. It may also convert a few cynics and greedy workaholics.

If you're familiar with Charles Dickens' classic A Christmas Carol, then expect the visits to the past, present, and future but with a comic twist. Carrie Fisher is the ghost, Eve, who visits Carol, a publishing CEO with a "bah humbug" attitude about Christmas, relationships, and just about everything she once valued except for the bottom line: making money. Carol's pace at work and nasty delivery of her terms are completely unbalanced with the memory of Eve, her old boss, who has died and left the company in Carol's misguided. Eve loved publishing good books for those who love reading good books. Christmas was special when Eve was in charge. Carol expects it to be just another workday and everyone in her employee to accept her way.

Carol is played by the incredibly beautiful and naturally talented Emmanuel Vaugier whom I've never seen before but found delightful. She was able to handle all the roles she played with great aplomb. The witty Carrie Fisher as Eve, the ghost of Carol's dead boss, is a bit sarcastic but really quite sweet as she carries out the job she was sent to do with Carol.

The movie really picks up when the two women embark on a journey that isn't one bit scary, cute as it can be, and bittersweet. This all makes it a well-made TV movie with a supporting cast who may be over the top for some (Carson Kressley is ebullient for sure!), but they are there to show their distress caused by Carol and, of course, for comic relief. And, of course, there is a love story in Carol's past, present, and future if she is capable of changing.

It's a Hallmark movie, so expect a happy ending. However, be on the lookout for one of those rare TV movies that you may want to put on your Christmas list for next year. It was a positive twist on a classic tale and neatly tied with a ribbon... a typewriter ribbon to be exact, but you'll have to watch the movie to figure that one out;) This movie helped me get into the much needed spirit, so enjoy it if this is your thing and have a Merry Christmas!!!

Not bad, could be better

Author: rdfarnham from United States
25 November 2012

Another re-hash of Dickens' classic the has some interesting points but, as Don Adams used to say in the old "Get Smart" TV series, "Missed it by that much". I am a "Carol" lover and I own more than 20 versions so I can comment on this with a clear conscience. The idea of having Eve, Carol's old (and dead) boss take the place of Marley is understandable. The idea of her also taking the place of the three ghosts is less so. As in all the re-tellings of the story the protagonist, Carol, is Scrooge-like and pretty well hated by all the people who work for her. Again she sees the past, present and future but, unlike other tellings she doesn't gradually realize how nasty she is until the last moment and then she suddenly switches and is a nice person. This alone makes her transformation less than believable. Not a really bad movie, but it lacks the heart of several of the other versions. For the best see the Alastair Sim version with the George C. Scott and Patrick Stewart versions running a close second.

A Christmas Carol

Author: On A Starless Night from India
7 December 2012

A very good family movie.I loved it.A good attempt by Hallmark to reignite the essence of A Christmas Carol.

The movie is about Carol who portrays our favourite Scrooge in the movie.Her deceased boss Eve is the person who tries to warn and save Carol from the fate that awaits her.She is visited by three ghosts(the ghost of Christmas Past, ghost of Christmas present and the ghost of Christmas future).As a twist to the original A Christmas Carol by Sir Charles Dickens her deceased boss Eve gets to play all three ghosts which turns out to be funny and interesting though i love the idea of three different ghosts as created by Sir Charles much more.

The essence of the story i believe is kept alive in the movie by the just and beautiful portrayal of the point that heartless acts tend to take our life to eternal poverty(loneliness) and nobody on Earth wishes for or desires for a lonely end.Carol realizes her mistakes, she is reminded about the girl she used to be, her priceless Mother, the things she believed in and most importantly the love of her life but will he give her a second chance ?.To find out please watch.

Not the best Scrooge adaptation, but has its moments

Author: MartianOctocretr5 from Redondo Beach, CA
2 December 2012

Modernizing and slightly rewriting the Charles Dickens classic Christmas Carol is an oft used formula, and this Hallmark offering is one of the more awkward in attempting it.

First, the idea of merging all four ghosts (Marley, Past, Present, and Future) into one character doesn't seem to work as well as the movie makers hoped. This latter day Scrooge is a toxic publishing exec named Carol (get it?), who is visited by her deceased predecessor, who also has a Christmas reference name: Eve (Carrie Fisher). Fisher plays it well, but an immediate problem develops as we see little if any change in Carol's demeanor. Faced with only ghost visitor throughout the story, someone she knew personally, their banter becomes a stalemate where Carol persistently demands to go home to bed; Eve talks down to her with sarcastic tolerance like she would talk to a child. Scrooge had different reactions as the various ghosts got through to him--each in their own way, and this story misses that.

The life story of Carol really has none of the human interest of her 1840's counterpart, either. She just stepped on people's faces her whole life, and doesn't seem to be touched emotionally when confronted with this. It's difficult to identify with someone this deep into denial and lacking in empathy, and the character does not change in a logical or believable manner.

The acting of the cast in general rises above the script, although some of them are stuck with tiresome and annoying stereotypes.

There are many versions of the Scrooge story out there. Among the best are George C. Scott's and Alistair Sim's. Catch one of those if you can this Christmas season. Carol is OK only if you have nothing else to do.

Lacks charm

Author: Zoooma from Oakland, New Jersey
3 June 2014

Yet another Made-for-TV movie from the Hallmark Channel and this one is 2012's take on A Christmas Carol. Carrie Fisher has the role as all three ghosts showing Emmanuelle Vaugier her life in three different ways. I knew I'd seen her somewhere before -- ah yes, Mia in Two and a Half Men and she was also in many eps of CSI: NY.

One scene in particular was kind of interesting when in a library, a Star Wars book was seen on a nearby shelf in the background. There was also a Star Wars mention. Those were kind of the highlights, it's sad to say. Other than that this tele-film lacks charm. Many versions of a Christmas Carol do... not very Christmasy. Ah well. Still, for some twisted reason, I'd actually maybe watch it again someday.

5.4 / 10 stars