IMDb > The Kings of Summer (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Kings of Summer

The Kings of Summer More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

A comedy, with all the right mixes of emotion.

Author: Justin Bell from United States
18 February 2013

Toy's House was an interesting film following what most teenage kids wish...A kid who finally breaks free from his parents control. Joe Toy and his friend Patrick get fed up with their parents and decide to build a house in the woods to live in.

I really enjoyed this movie. It seemed to have the right mix of comedy and drama to keep you engaged the whole movie. Watching a couple of teenage boys try and survive in the woods was a lot of fun, and Nick Offerman as Joe's dad was a lot of fun as well. The biggest thing to note, is that while this is billed as a comedy, it was definitely more than that. The emotional aspect of this movie was everything you come to expect from a movie that has to sale itself with a great story, like most films at Sundance, which made it all that more fun.

It starts off slowly but is worth your time.

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
16 October 2013

"The Kings of Summer" is a film you need to accept on its own terms. It's not a Hollywood production, it has a relatively low budget and it has a few plot problems. Sure, the characters might not be 100% believable or even really that likable--but, if you sit back and watch it with modest expectations, you'll find the good easily outweighs the bad.

The film is about two disaffected teens. Both hate it at home and they want to get out...but how? When one comes up with an insane plan to move into the woods and build their own shack, the other, reluctantly comes along for the plan. There is a third--and that kid, Biaggio, is a real cipher. He's bizarre and in the film mostly for comic relief--though I found myself liking him the best of the three. But when he disappears, no one seems to notice...he's that sort of a kid. But the two main characters are initially happy and their running away seems to be working out well...at least for a time.

Overall, this is a film that folks who only enjoy traditional movies will probably NOT like very much. As for me, I have a higher than normal tolerance for the unusual and found a lot of nice performances and moments in the film. Worth seeing and clever.

A fantastic coming of age comedy

Author: jibson89 from United Kingdom
28 April 2013

Debut feature director Jordan Vogt-Roberts' Kings of Summer (née Toy's House) is a coming of age story of 2 best friends who decide to build a house in the woods to escape their families and their enigmatic friend Biaggio who accompanies them.

The three kids give great performances and all seem so natural in their characters; Moises Arias is exceptionally funny as the oddball Biaggio. I caught the third ever showing at Sundance London followed by a director's Q&A and he remarked that many moments are just the kid's messing around and sometimes unaware they are being filmed. The montage scene of the kids playing in the woods and banging on the pipe that opens the film was filmed all in one day with just the kids, the D.P and director and is so naturally the sort of nonsense a group of teenagers would get up to.

An amazing supporting cast including the always wonderful Nick Offerman, Alison Brie, Megan Mullally and Mary Lynn Rajskub perfectly deliver the material; it's an impressive cast for such a small film.

Début writer Chris Galletta delivered a cracking script that delivers on the laughs and also has some strong emotional moments as the boys inevitably fallout over a girl and we see the kid's fractious relationship with their parents.

A great mix of classic coming of age tales such as Stand By Me and the indie comedies of recent times that hits the comedic and dramatic notes without ever being saccharine, annoyingly quirky or overly morbid as so many indie comedies fall into.

I highly recommend the film; it will transport you back to your terrible but wonderful teenage years and is genuinely hilarious, I can't imagine a single person not loving this film.

Rating- 8/10

If you loved Stand By Me… This is for you. Moises Arias steals the show!!!

Author: e-pappalettera from Italy
10 September 2013

Three unhappy teenagers run away from the sophisticated city life and take refuge in nature, where they plan to build a makeshift home and live off the land, to finally be masters of their own destiny. Once you arrive at your destination, you make it reality, however, realize that the wild is much tougher as the imagined.

Biaggio (Moises Arias), the very rare embodiment of social awkwardness and complete and total lack of personal sophistication teenager, that invokes a combination of amazement, bewilderment, and pity simultaneously from the common viewer. It's a role that cannot be explained...only watched. He is quite possibly one of the best comedic performances I have ever seen a young performer give. It's a wonderfully bizarre role that fully encompasses both the awkwardness and the sincerity of a social misfit. The role is so over-the-top that it's amazing that Arias can make it look so natural and genuine. His acting was spot on and absolutely hilarious. Loved it!

A coming of age film for our generation

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
17 September 2013

"Why live when you can rule."

There have been several coming of age films that have been released over the years, but very few have actually stuck with me. The Kings of Summer is one of those few movies that appealed to me and had me emotionally involved with the characters. First time director Jordan Vogt- Roberts takes us through a range of emotions from nostalgic and heart breaking moments to laugh out loud buddy moments. It lives up to the standard of other great coming of age tales like Stand By Me. There is something about a group of young teens exploring the woods and their transition to adulthood that simply appeals to me. The scenery was also breathtaking and I absolutely fell in love with those woods. I could see what was so appealing for these kids and their need to feel independent. It does have that sort of familiar indie vibe to it, but thanks to some great performances the movie stands out above most of them. Moises Arias had me laughing throughout the entire movie playing this quirky character that reminded me a lot of Fogell in Superbad. His comedic timing was perfect and he had the funniest lines in the film. The screenplay by first timer Chris Galletta was also really well developed. I will be looking forward to his next work because his script made it easy to go through such different ranges of emotions. This film felt like a simple sweet feel good movie and it is one that I would recommend to my friends especially if they love the woods.

Joe (Nick Robinson) has just finished his freshman year in High School and isn't looking forward to spending his Summer with his widowed father Frank (Neil Offerman) who makes his life miserable just because he's miserable. His best friend Patrick (Gabriel Basso) doesn't enjoy living with his parents any better. His parents (played by Marc Evan Jackson and Megan Mullally) are over protective and seem to want to manage every single detail of his life. Not wanting to spend their entire summers abiding by their parents rules the two kids decide to run away and build their own home in the nearby woods and survive in the wild by hunting and gathering food. This way they can be free to do what they want and make their own rules. Joe and Patrick also bring along a strange friend named Biaggio (Moises Arias). The three seem to be having the time of their lives without anyone telling them what to do and having guests over whenever they want to until a girl named Kelly (Erin Moriarty) gets in the way of their friendship and disrupts the balance of their kingdom.

The Kings of Summer works thanks to some great performances from the trio of friends who bring a sense of nostalgia to the viewers' senses simply by playing and running around in the woods with swords and sticks. Those unscripted moments in which the kids simply goof around with one another are the best. Arias is really hilarious and he seems to steal every scene here. Robinson also gives a strange performance in the lead role. The film is easy going with likable characters and some wonderful cinematography. It is just great to look at and it completely surprised me at times with some of the turns the story took. It wasn't one of those predictable coming of age films and I really had a fun time. I wouldn't be surprised if The Kings of Summer ends up in many peoples' top 10 list at the end of the year because it is a crowd pleaser.

Remarkably Recommended and Meaningful

Author: democratic-pizza from Indonesia
6 October 2013

First off, I'd like to say that this is my first ever movie review. I'd been prolonging until I find a non-blockbuster movie that can really caught me deeply and The Kings of Summer happened to be the one.

The acting in this movie is basically original, starring Nick Robinson who played Joe perfectly well as a fifteen year-old desperately wanting to get out of his dad's house under his rules just like a typical teenager. Then there's his best friend, Gabriel Basso who played as Patrick who loves his parents but also desperately wanting to get out of their house because of how their parents treat him as a child. Moises Arias as Biaggio, who I think really suits for the role of a physically small friend of both of them who appeared out of nowhere and could really get things funny because he's that lovable and warm. Joe's dad, Nick Offerman as Frank, played a great grumpy father who gets mad and cranky easily in this movie and then there's Erin Moriarty as Kelly, which plays the girl who Joe had a crush on.

The movie at first started just like any ordinary drama movie, but the various shots and angles made it look pretty smart in the beginning. As you watch longer, the movie started getting interesting to where it's going, although you can really guess what will happen next. The Kings of Summer with its "Into The Wild" theme is packed with humor and a bunch of emotional feeling will be involved throughout the movie. Another plus point for this movie is the selection of songs in the background or soundtracks, how each song suits perfectly well based on the actions the characters were doing which really built up my point of view towards the movie.

What caught me the most is how the movie is directed and made it as if he really wants us to feel to be like each one of the character involved there. The shots on the scenery and "wild" views in the forest really succeeded on making me re-think and went deeper about how there's more to the movie than what I've actually seen. The movie does have some really cliché teenager scenes, however, I like how it stays original and remain unpretentious by showing that there's a big chance that conflicts may happen between friends and families but then in the end you will always come back to them, by not having all the cheesy fights nor a corny truce. It sticks to reality and shows people that it is truly what it is.

Not considering how old you are, I really recommend you to watch this movie with anyone for you're about to feel that youth blood pumping down your streams and actually get something out of it. Praise for Jordan Vogt-Roberts for making this movie as perfect, my eyes were glistening right at the very last scene of the movie and at the same time drawing a smile on my face.

Nice film

Author: Tom147
9 September 2013

'The Kings of Summer' was a nice coming-of-age film about 3 teenage boys who want independence so decide to build a house in the woods away from the real world.

I really like the plot and the actors all done a very good job. The 3 boys were believable and extremely likable. The supporting cast were also very good. The house they build looks brilliant. The story is a lot about friendship which is really nice. There was some moments that made you smile but it wasn't overly funny, I would class it as more of a drama film.

Overall it was an enjoyable film, a really meaningful story which is easy to relate to. Definitely worth a watch if you want something to cheer you up.

7.5/10.

A must see for young teens & parents. The kid that plays Biaggio really steals the movie and is so much fun to watch. I say A

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
23 September 2013

"We do swear, under pain of friendship lost, to never speak of this enterprise to any adults; to never betray its location or its participants." Joe (Robinson) and Patrick (Basso) both hate their lives at home. Living with over bearing parents are making them crazy and when they are pushed too far they decide to move out. The find a place in the middle of the woods and build their own house. The two of them along with a young boy who they are afraid to tell to go away start off on a experience that effects each one differently. This is an example of a movie where the trailer doesn't do the movie justice. This is an excellent and must see movie for all teenagers for a few reasons. One is because it shows that their parents aren't as bad as they seem compared to these. I could go on and on about this but the best way to describe this is a Stand By Me for a new generation. This is is movie that just needs to be seen rather then read about. Also the kid that plays Biaggio really steals the movie and is so much fun to watch. Overall, a must see for young teens and parents. I highly recommend. I easily give it an A.

Potentially interesting concept, poor execution

Author: mitchdumpy from Australia
8 September 2013

The concept of this story has merit, however the execution is well off the mark in all respects.

The story progression seems extremely rushed, partly due to the amount of unnecessary scenes and dialogue that have been afforded to cameo characters at various points. Some of the dialogue has comedic value, but for the most it's just basic.

I think more time needed to be given to develop the main characters and to develop the plot, rather than to random scenes which hold no real relevance to either.

The cosmetics which help keep everything believable were ignored in some respects. Simple things, like how do they store their shop bought chickens without refrigeration, where did they pull architect designs for their house from, why were there fireworks going off in the middle of the bush at night in the swimming scenes, was it necessary for the almost pre-pubescent boys to sprout obviously fake beards and random violin playing in the middle of the forest?

Oh and for those who compared this to Stand by me. Stand by me is far, far, far better than this movie.

Sweet and...independent.

Author: Kyle Cohen (kcohen@hotmail.com)
22 July 2014

If you are looking for a heart-filled independent film, then this is the right choice for you. This film has a lot of heart put into it, which makes its characters more likable, interesting, and funny. The humor has this old-fashioned vibe to it, making this film great for adults (props to the soundtrack for some awesome retro-gaming like music) Now, do I think the humor stands out as much as the story? Not really, but that's not a bad thing. A comedy's story is usually very weak so that only makes this comedy stronger. Also, the likable cast also leads to some great humor. You want to see these kids succeed in building their own home in the forest and its very enjoyable to watch. A great cast (Moises Arias as an oddball weirdo was an awesomely funny choice), good humor, and a great heart is what a comedy should be made of. The Kings of Summer definitely rules.

Page 1 of 10:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]