"Game of Thrones: The Bear and the Maiden Fair (#3.7)"

"Game of Thrones" The Bear and the Maiden Fair (2013)

« Prev | 27 of 51 Episodes | Next »

Noble Attitude

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6 May 2014

Jon Snow, Ygritte and the survivors of the wildling party head to Castle Black. Daenery is decided to take the city of Yunkai and she meets one of the wise masters of Yunkai to offer his and the other masters' lives if they surrender to her. Arya flees from the camp of the Brotherhood but she is caught by The Hound. Theon is released by two gorgeous women that seduce him; out of the blue, his torturer returns and tells that he will castrate him. Jaime leaves Harrenhal escorted by the Bolton guards but when he learns the fate of Brienne, he forces the men to return to rescue the lady from Locke and an angry bear.

In "The Bear and the Maiden Fair", Jaime has a surprising attitude saving Brienne from her captors. I never believed that he could take such noble attitude. Daenery is impressive and is conquering one city after another. Theon continues to get what he deserves. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "The Bear and the Maiden Fair"

Sum of its parts

Author: Sabin Felea from Coventry, UK
13 May 2013

Jon and Ygritte are the highlight of the episode, keep your eyes on them! There's also a piece of history that is revealed from their dialog that adds weight to their mission. I even liked the scene between Robb and Jeyne. The love scenes in this season as a whole are done particularly well actually. This is probably to compensate for dulling our senses with all the gratuitous yet equally unnecessary sex/extreme violence scenes that are all over the place in this show. Unfortunately these are present in this episode as well, but at least they don't go the full way (which I was afraid they would at one point, unsurprisingly involving Theon).

The evolution of Brienne and Jaime are a delight to watch... at least they were in the beginning, but by the end of it I felt some writers forgot about these characters entirely and had to come up with lines for them just before the actors went on cameras. There is also a near escape sequence that was done particularly poorly, bearing witness to the show's budget constraints and human retardation. 'How could a man with only 1 hand climb that?' - I found myself asking. 'Damn with the limitations of human nature and physics!' - said every Hollywood director that ever lived, ever!!

Bronn's character - damn, that guy likes reminding us that he's a good actor. The banter between him and Tyrion is fun, as usual, while the little man has some tough decisions ahead of him, judging from what they set up for him this far. Let's hope those end up being executed well.

Sansa is still hanging around with Margaery; I guess some things never change. Bran, Hodor, the Reed brothers and that wild-ling lady (I always forget her name) are still heading North, but suffice to say is they're probably not going to meet any familiar faces anytime soon. Arya is still mad on the Brotherhood. Melisandre is still weird as... the night sky would be with two moons? No complaints there. Sam and his new friend with the baby are completely absent in this episode bo-hoo.

Daenarys is fierce as ever and those dragon, ho-boy. They know how to portray their dragons in this show! She's kind of reached a halt, at this grand-city called Yunkai, that was build on the back of many, many slaves and well... she's a bit unhappy about that. I'm curious to see just how much she gets held back by this new challenge :D

Sadly there was no scene featuring Cersei, either. So where do we get our dose of barely contained rage, by a thin shell of cynicism you wonder? Look no further than Tywin's scene with Joffrey. It's always nice to see two badass blondes - each in their own way - duke it out for the best.

So, what is my final take on this episode: sub-par. I was left at the end with a taste of bitter bile in my mouth and that wasn't due to the coffee I had while watching it. You see, even though I praised individual scenes, the sum of its parts is not greater than the whole, surprisingly. The motivation behind the characters seem a bit shallow, probably because they are so many at this point and so far apart from each other... It's like all the major characters' strengths rely on one- another, but as soon as they have an individual scene to perform, they act bewildered. And you know which are the main characters of the show I'm talking about: they are all the surviving ones, from the 1st season with few additions. Also, it's like they are not given enough care from the directors and the producers involved, like their personal journey and evolution does not matter, unless it involves another sex/extreme violence scene. Well, I CARE about these characters' evolution arcs and I WANT to see them being well-portrayed damit!

The set-pieces are great - GoT crew! - and the amount of detail are charming to the eye, but... look, if this show wasn't sourcing Martin's masterpiece material, I would not be watching this. The 1st season was great and I can find absolutely no criticism: it was raw and powerful. With the 2nd and 3rd season, I feel like I am forced to watch the limitations of the productions's team, botching big action scenes and generally showcasing an unfocused view of their product. If you want to sell this to me AGAIN then you will have to figure out a direction for the story and not just do stuff 'because George Martin said so'. Books don't work the same as stories meant for the screens. Where's your sense of independence that season 1 thrived on and drove the show to success?

*Sigh* I miss the good old days... does that make me old?

Crappy writing, crappy directing this season.

Author: hajim
13 May 2013

First season they did a great job keeping the tension, drama, the stakes, everything tight and moving. Second season they did a damn good job. WHAT THE HELL HAS HAPPENED? Instead of dramatic arcs, episodes this season as a series of disjointed vignettes that they donʻt even try to weave a dramatic thread between. Instead they spend more time adding unnecessary detail to the extreme BDSM treatment of Theon Greyjoy. I love Iwan Rheon as an actor, but one or two quick scenes are enough to tell us about how Theon will evolve...this is gratuitous and the time would be better spent on laying out the over all narrative. If it werenʻt for the strong source material (thank you George RR Martin), this would be an unwatchable mess of disconnected plot points, under-motivated actions, and, as I pointed out, sex/violence that isnʻt being used to drive the narrative forward. The weak directing was most clearly demonstrated when the Yukai arrives to negotiate - what the hell was the purpose of the long arrival scene? To burn some of the budget and add minutes to fill out a short and empty episode? Hire some writers folks! Hire a new director! This is one of the most epic stories written and you gotta do better than your doing.

What is going on?

Author: daniellieparker
13 May 2013

At this point I'm struggling with myself to understand what is going on with this show... it seems like a guinea-pig laboratory... unattractive new faces popping up everywhere while well-known talented actors/actresses make their characters spin around a bat to race to nowhere. At this pace, all thrones will fall by themselves before winter comes. The only people making progress seem to be the dragon girl and the guy coming back from the frozen lands... and that's because the huntress/warrior girl brought some life to his character... the rest of the cast is pretty much dead already. Last time I checked The Walking Dead was a different show (current and coincidentally also spinning out of control). To the producers: there's no reason to GoT aperture last more than 30 seconds... what about using the time to add a little more to the story... maybe some war/barracks scenes... it seems the huge war against the Lannisters is being fought from inside a tent.

Boring, boring, boring...

Author: UnsustaiNiNable from United Kingdom
13 May 2013

What the hell is happening? This show used to be fast paced, interesting, brutal, clever, creepy.. now it's just boring talk. Everyone just.. TALKS.. a LOT..

This episode, thanks to its ending, was kind of more dynamic compared to the last 2 or 3 ones, and yet it's pretty much just dialogs everywhere, and not any kind of dialogs, no.. these are boring, pointless and clever-wanna-be dialogs. Season 3 is just pathetic compared to the first two amazing seasons. The only interesting characters are Tyrion, Dany and Jaime, and we only see them for a couple of minutes per episode.

I would love to keep liking this show but I think that after season 3 I'm done with it (because I hate how they keep the action and interesting parts for the last 1 or 2 episodes, and then it just starts boring and slow again and again and again.. pure disappointment.

This show is sadly turning into the perfect sleeping pill, people.

Oh, and I repeat, this episode is WAY better than the last ones, but it's still plain boring.