IMDb > "Game of Thrones" The Climb (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Game of Thrones: The Climb (#3.6)"

"Game of Thrones" The Climb (2013)

« Prev | 26 of 67 Episodes | Next »

An episode of contrasts.

Author: jonpak from United States
13 July 2013

One of the quieter more contemplative episodes in this outstanding season, episode 6 might not have brought your jaw to the floor as many of the other episodes this season but it had a quiet grace. The perfectly titled "The Climb" provided much to think about. Contrasting themes of order and chaos, cynicism and optimism. The final 10 minutes provide perhaps one of the most beautifully shot contrasts of worldview ever done. A contrast between a cynical view of life and an optimistic one, Littlefinger's monologue strikes the viewer in its overall harshness and unfortunate plausibility - that mostly people delude themselves in life, spoken over such convincing supporting visuals as only game of thrones can provide. This scene is immediately followed by a final scene which contrasts this viewpoint that is so beautiful and touching that the viewer feels nearly uneasy. In any other show the final scene could have become meaningless sweetness but in game of thrones it resonates, because we realize that true happiness is rare and fleeting, but we hope that it lasts, we hope Littlefinger is wrong, though we realize, especially in the world of Westeros, he is most probably right.

The board is set...

Author: Chovi Jaimes
5 May 2013

All right, this is one of those "prepare yourself" episode. Why? Because, it's like nothing happens, it's just a prologue to the real deal. Literally, every scene was just a preparation for something else. Even Sam's opening dialogue with Gilly is proof to that! They are talking about the Wall, just before we actually see the Wall and the danger it presents to the Wildlings. The Robb/Frey scene, also another prologue to a much bigger plot, beautifully executed. Perhaps the best ones where Jaime&Brianne/LordBolton, Tyrion/Sansa and Theon/"Boy". Wonderful performance by the whole cast! And that Petyr/Varys scene, damn!!! What a friggin' good scene!!! From Joffrey having executed Ros to Sansa weeping over the departure of Petyr's ship, it was all awesome!! And that final scene on top of the Wall between Jon and Ygritte was extremely good! A real romance born there!

I must say I am greatly disappointed in Arya's scene....I understand this is an adaptation of the books....but still, why couldn't they just add a small-time actor to play Edric Storm? Why did they had to, once again, alter everything in the books and make to characters who never meet, met? I didn't mind Robb meeting Qyburn, but Arya meeting Melissandre is a whole different thing....

I just hope D.B. and David know what they are doing, and that they are keeping in mind both George R. R. Martin as the fans of the books....

Climbing; both literally and metaphorically

Author: Tweekums from United Kingdom
6 January 2016

The main action of this episode was Jon, Ygritte and the Wildlings scaling the seven hundred foot wall that protects Westeros from the barbarians to the north. The climb won't be easy and not everybody will make it. Elsewhere there is more talk of weddings as Lord Frey demands that Robb's uncle Edmure must marry one of his daughters as restitution for Robb breaking his word and Lady Olenna Tyrell is not pleased with Tywin Lannister's plans to have her son marry Queen Cersei rather than Sansa Stark. Theon finally learns the identity of his tormentor but things are only getting worse for him. In the Riverlands Melisandre visits the Brotherhood without Banners and takes Gendry from them leading Arya to confront her.

While there isn't a huge amount of action this is a gripping episode. The scaling of the wall was tense as there was the constant feeling that fatal falls could happen at any moment; acrophobics may certainly feel the sense of height as the camera shows the huge drop below the climbers. These scenes are tense but not as disturbing as those involving Theon; his tormentor is one of the least pleasant characters in the series… although not as bad as Joffrey who we learn has murdered a popular minor character for the sadistic pleasure. This also emphasises just how dangerous Lord Baelish is as he provided the poor girl to punish Lord Varys; the scene between Aidan Gillen and Conleth Hill which led up to this shock was great. While not action packed the scene between Maisie Williams and Carice van Houten, as Arya and Melisandre, was brilliant as it showed Arya's inner strength and Melisandre's response suggests that young Arya is going to become a taker of many lives. Overall a fine episode that hints at things to come.

Climbing the Wall

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
6 May 2014

Tywin summons Lady Olenna Tyrell and forces her to accept the marriage of Loras and Cersei. Meanwhile Tyrion discloses his father's decision to Sansa in front of Shae. Melisandre meets the Brotherhood without Banners and takes Gendry into her custody, delivering two sacks of gold to them. Edmure is forced to marry Walder Frey's daughter to help Robb. Theon Greyjoy continues to be tortured and loses his little finger. Jon Snow, Ygritte and the wildling party climb the Wall, but when the ice cracks, they almost die.

"The Climb" is an average episode of Game of Thrones, where the most exciting part is the climbing of the Wall. The rest is the usual plots, this time evolving marriages for alliances. Theon is getting what he deserves. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "The Climb"

More Exposition

Author: Hitchcoc from United States
23 May 2015

It's hard to comment on segments. So I would say that there are some broad issues that are constantly in front of us. There is a struggle to tell who the players are as we parse the seven kingdoms that keep being mentioned. The Lannisters seem to have most of the chips, but their manipulations are certainly dangerous and may backfire. Where is Arya going to end up. Why is Theon being tortured by that sniveling little jerk and why does he have so much power over life and death. No dragons this time. She's on her way, though, and what will happen when those things reach full size. It's like having deflated footballs. There is this incredible scene as the winter people climb the ice wall and peer over the other side. Tyrion and his sister are now commiserating over who is whose enemy and whether the dwarf was her target. Does it matter. They are all potentially deadly and blood certainly isn't thicker than water, unless ambition can be satisfied. We are off to the races as the next episode unfolds. The wedding is coming and Littlefinger is using his wiles and trying to manipulate his way to the top.

Another solid episode for Season 3

Author: gavin-thelordofthefu-48-460297 from United States
21 April 2016

The Climb is another solid episode for Season 3 even if it didn't live up to episode 4. My only quibble is that the plot advancement in some scenes were a bit rushed and could've used some fixing by keeping it slow and steady. That's what I would've liked. Maybe there are some deleted scenes, but I'll see if I could find them.

Anyway, everything else turned out great. The performances are still solid, the relationships continue to shine, the music score and scenery are still beautiful and gorgeous, the directing is superb, the story/script is still well-written, and the editing is still sharp. And that's all I have to say, so, this is another solid episode and looking forward to review the last four. :)