Son of Sardaar (2012) Poster

Tries and fails to make us laugh!
vivek-ramasha13 November 2012
Son of Sardar is a movie starring Ajay Devgan directed by Ashwani Dhir, known for his successful direction in Atithi Tum Kab Jaaoge and One Two Three. If you've watched any of these two movies, you know one thing. His movie doesn't really have plot but still does good on box-office because of its witty jokes and punches.

Similarly, SOS doesn't really have a plot(or at least a convincing one). But that's not why its rated 4. The reason is that there is nothing in the movie to sit though its agonizing 2 and half hour.

First half is good enough. With some jokes making you laugh. But it gets boring as the clock ticks by. A good joke looses its humor the second time.

I really had high hopes from the movie as earlier comedy movies of Ajay Devgan had been really good like Golmaal 3 or All The Best. But this is yet another Bol Bachachan. Both being the remakes of movie most must've watched before.

But its not all that bad. If you "loved" Bol Bachachan or One Two Three, give it a try.
49 out of 65 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Nutshell Review: Son of Sardaar
DICK STEEL13 November 2012
With national festivals come cinema that's geared toward mass entertainment, and Son of Sardaar cannot be more true of that, being that light hearted romantic comedy combined with action reliant on special effects and plenty of loony tunes inspiration to bring about laughter for an audience looking to being entertained. Nothing more than that. Based upon a Telugu film Maryada Ramanna which itself is based on the 1923 American silent movie Our Hospitality starring Buster Keaton, Son of Sardaar didn't hit the mark for the most parts, being just a plain comedy that's largely forgettable.

Starring Ajay Devgn, who also has a number of other production credits, in the lead role as Jassi, the opening number shows that he's quite the light hearted joker, but packs quite a severe punch when threatened, either personally, or needed to defend his Punjabi heritage. A letter gets sent from India for him to reclaim his family land and inheritance, in which he intends to sell so that he can continue his lifestyle in London, only for his trip back to Hindustan to be filled with unexpected romance, and finding himself embroiled in an aged old family feud with the Sandhus.

It's almost Romeo and Juliet like where his love had sprung from his only hate. He meets Sukh (Sonakshi Sinha) on board a train, only to realize much later that her family still bears the grudge since their earlier generation had clashed. Now led by Billu (Sanjay Dutt), they are adamant to avenge their defeat by killing Jassi, only to have unwittingly invited Jassi to their ancestral home earlier, and having to uphold their end of their tradition of treating guests like god. So it's hospitality at its best when Jassi remains in their home, with comedy ensuing as they try their best to get him out of the house, with Jassi doing the opposite, cooking up excuses to stay within.

One will expect the usual song and dance numbers that pepper the film, especially when it boils down to the romance between Jassi and Sukh, which is made a tad complicated when the latter is already betrothed to another. While great pains have been put in to provide some characterization for at least the two of the leading characters, there was a feeling of unnecessary repetition especially amongst some of the jokes, such as a child who keeps on harping or associating everything with the need to celebrate with a peg. Yes, caricatures rule, but it does wear the jokes down especially if extended beyond welcome.

Directed by Ashwni Dhir, Son of Sardaar is something one would expect from a Hong Kong Mo-Lei-Tau comedy perfected by Stephen Chow, especially when it comes down to the inevitable, final climatic battle between Jassi and Billu, which played out like a WWE wrestling match, with both sides going all out to clobber each other in sequence that you know is so staged. Battles are cartoony and defying the laws of physics, and while I understand this is the comedy genre, overdoing something just makes it too artificial. Inconsistency arises from Jassi as well, since it has been established that he can fight, but chooses not to do so in the first place, requisite to stretch the story out.

Even the resolution at the end was rushed, with everything addressed at a drop of a hat, leading one to think that there's really no storyline here, with the filmmakers eager to end everything rather than to be further caught with their lack of ideas. The clear message here is to love thy neighbour, granted that this is not being told through any form of a solid narrative, preferring the shortest cut possible to elicit laughter in desperation. If this is the only offering for that battle of the Diwali box office, it's clearly not quite up to the mark offered by the other Yash Raj film.

Look out though for Salman Khan, who lends a hand to bookend the film, reprising his role as the unmentioned Bodyguard.
36 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Just Do not watch
Avinesh Saini14 November 2012
Well... IMDb should have a 0 rating option for such movies! Ruined my Diwali Eve...!!! I went out with my friends on the Diwali evening to watch this Bollywood movie. The movie is bad in many aspects and worse in others. It is just another "Bollywood comedies" that have sprung up in the recent past that tries to tickle your funny bones with the non-sense conversation that only kindergarten kids would make. Some of the dialogues have been repeated too many times than required. The movie has been interspersed with illogical and weird action sequences that have been complemented by special effects that are unpleasant to the human eyes. On top of this, the presence of songs makes one pull one's hair in dismay. It is like tiny-tots have been asked to produce some movie in a budget of $15 million. What a waste of money it is! The movie is exhausting, painfully loud, way too long that does no good work but makes the movie watching experience extremely unpleasant.
25 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Low IQ, High Decibel Movie- Painful Experience
vaibhavgupta198913 November 2012
31 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
funny movie
Nandini Goyal2 December 2012
Movie is good and has a lot of fun moments ! Although too much action was shown in beginning and during end of movie, but rest of the movie was too funny and good.

Family was so joyful, jokes were good.

Acting by sanjay was good but ajay's actin was OK.

I liked the music a lot, punjabi tone was nice ! Raja rani song is really good. Sonakshi was good too.

Overall, a good comedy movie and story was good. And it was too funny when ajay was trying to stay inside house but sanjay and all were expecting him to come out !
10 out of 12 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
awful does not worth a watch
haricoolty13 November 2012
its a awful film.... contains no story line... full of nuisance

1st-contains unnecessary idiotic action scenes .

2nd- story was so boring... story line was awful.

3rd- music was ordinary 4th - contains 3-4 comedy scenes that don't worth a laugh

i would prefer that u guys should go for jab Tak h Jaan... and please don't waste your money on this awful film..

The movie is Idiotic. The movie is not at all comedy. Action scenes looks like comedy scenes. Ajay devgan did well but was not up to the point. This movie will do well in punjab and between sardars. ALL SARDARS WUD LUV THE FILM AS IT IS ASSOCIATED WITH SARDARS. IT DOES NOT WORTH A WATCH.
25 out of 35 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Time-pass if you have least expectation from the movie and ofcouse if you don't have anything to do !!
Ketan Gupta19 November 2012
Son of Sardar was a typical bran-less , nonsensical entertainer which could be a time-pass if you have least expectation from the movie and ofcouse if you don't have anything to do.

Jassi ( Ajay Devgan) is contacted by his native people that he has inherited an ancestral land from his father in Punjab. He must reach India immediately to sell it to continue living lavishly in London but to his surprise , he is embroiled in age old family feud with the Sandhus. Once he reaches Punjab, he must fight his way out before getting in to the hands of deadly Billu sandhus

Directed by Ashwin Dhar , SOS starts off with Ajay Devgan displaying his histrionics by riding on two horses( replaying his introduction role of Phool aur Kannte) , doing routine song and dance and meeting his Punjabi kudi ( Sonakshi Sinha). Once Sanjay Dutt enters the scene , the interaction between him and Ajay Devgan is hilarious. However , the film loses the steam subsequently and leaves no impact at the later reel. In fact , it becomes unbearable that you wish you could press the forward button . Direction is lame with minute focus on screenplay at all. Sometimes you feel that you are watching some old 90's cinema with typical masala ingredients to make a blockbuster movie. Cinematography is efficient. Action scenes are hilarious and larger than life. Art direction is good. Dialogues are just about OK. Ajay and Sanjay are the soul of the film and they make it watchable otherwise which I would call a tragedy. Sonakshi Sinha repeats herself. Music by Himesh Reshamiya is good. I liked the " Raja Rani" and " Pon Pon" songs which are the dance numbers.

SOS is a movie which has no story , no direction and simply no screenplay. As I mentioned , it is just an average time pass thanks to wonderful chemistry between Ajay Devgan and Sanjay Dutt. Disappointing : 1/5
9 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Live action cartoon
Braindead0924 November 2012
Being a westerner who occasionally dips into commercial Indian cinema, all I can say i must have been watching a completely different film to the one that everyone seems to be criticising. Its that stuff that gives Sardaar its charm. . The bright colours, larger than life characters, goon style violence, and slapstick comedy works well to create a live action cartoon.

The colour scheme was bright and clean. The moment Jassi bounces somebody like a basketball tells the viewer this is not a film to take seriously, if the viewer is a person that does not like western comedies featuring Will Ferrell type characters and plots this film is a no. The film even uses animation to tell the story of the feud and to show the eyes bulging of the horse.

Jassi's ballsy behaviour in the beginning and his sudden decline into whimpering coward was well realised. The final fight reminded me of the Clint Eastwood film Any Which Way You Can. Sanjay Dutt and his gang remind me of the comic motorcycle gang in the same film. I can imagine him saying "Why me Lord? You made other men out of clay. Mine, you made out of sh*t."

Funny and quirky live action cartoon worth watching
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolute Wastage of TIme....
Raj Grewal15 November 2012
Bollywood movies are usually bullshit.... Nowadays the directors tell the actors to do whatever and then they shoot it. Its like bunch of idiots shooting a school drama..... No story, no dialogues, no sense whatsoever....... This movie is definitely no exception. I am Sardar and am Proud to be, but this movie is mockery of sardars. I cant believe Sanjay Dutt, Ajay Devgun and Salman Khan would do this crap. I watched this movie for about 10 mins and it was enough to drive me insane. Couldn't make it to 15mins and I had to shut the movie off........ ABSOLUTE DISASTER..... Don't waste any time.

the following is just filler don't watch wastage disaster.
19 out of 32 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Simply Awful
myredemption00712 November 2012
Oh my God ! This movie was to be compared with jab tak hai jaan and every body's expectations were very high and i also went to the theatre expecting a superb story , comedy and action but came out disappointed ! All the jokes were outdated and i thought that i have already heard them before some where e.g (Rowdy Rathore, Dabbang) this movie is in the same league as was rowdy and dabang ! Cast was good but script was very weak , Ajay tried his best to make us laugh but he's 2 old for such role and was totally miscasted here , sonakshi was as usual average , sanjay was OK ! Songs were garbage ! I recommend u 2 go and watch Shahrukh Khan's superb block buster 'JThJ' instead of this filthy crap and save ur money ! Thanks .
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Don't watch this Movie, you will end up with a HEADACHE
nazneensyed14 November 2012
HI Son of Sardar is so low on IQ, you can actually see the pathetic effort to make people laugh. There is no credibility to the movie and its a concoction of various masala and comedy flicks. Nothing that you have not seen in the pass.

Never have I been so eager to leave the theater,and I walked out even before the ending, as I could not bear to watch this movie anymore. I am the kind of person, who sits thru every movie until the credits run in the end.

Surprised to see seasoned actor like Ajay Devgan come up with a horrible movie like this. Its as BAD if not worser than RASCALS (Another movie which I walked out halfway) Good films will eventually win over audience hearts, and thats exactly what Jab Tak hain Jaan (JTHJ) has done. this was plain stupidity on Ajay Devgan's part to compete with JTHJ. what was he thinking !!!!!! Its a very bad judgement call on Ajay Devgan's part.I am surprised the movie turned so horrible,considering that this movie is not even original. It is a remake of a Telugu flick.

Save your money nd energy. Go watch JTHJ. AVoid this movie at all costs
14 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Bad..........bad..........no, just plain terrible! Has movie-making just plummeted to a profit churning business?
DareDevilKid21 November 2012
Film: Son Of Sardar (2012)

Rating: 1/5 stars

Reviewed By: DareDevilKid_DDK

I didn't even expect a semblance of a plot, but I did expect some wacky entertainment. Alas, this just smelted into the recent spate of mindless ho-hum.

The jokes are insipid & the gags ludicrous. Authenticity is smothered with fake Punjabi accents (except for Juhi Chawla who fruitlessly endeavors to infuse some respect in the proceedings) & faker scenarios. Its all the more infuriating when you realize that the filmmakers have mutilated the legendary Buster Keaton's classic comedy, "Our Hospitality".

Most disheartening is the rapid decline of Ajay Devgn as he makes an even stronger case for certified dementia - his repertoire is plummeting into a cesspool of muck at an alarming velocity & ominously threatening to eradicate the credible undertaking associated with him in the past, but what else can you expect from an individual who blatantly asserts that 'movie-making as the end of the day is purely a business & nothing more'.

Bad..........bad..........no, just plain terrible......avoid at all costs!
6 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
poor
Anish Talwaria16 November 2012
I don't know that what is wrong with Ajay Devgan,why did he wanted to do competition with Jab Tak Hai Jaan,Son Of Sardar has very weak story and also the comedy part sucks,coming to action was bit OK OK but even in action there was overacting which is not good. But Jab Tak Hai Jaan Is far Better Than Son of sardar ,it has proper story,it had bit comedy part which is also better than son of sardar's waste jokes,It has emotions,it has nice songs and this Movie has no weak points. Al last according to me don't waste money on watching Son of Sardar you will be disappointed, watch Jab Tak Hai Jaan you will love to watch it again as i am going to watch again
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worst. Movie. Ever.
self-username16 November 2012
There's clichéd and banal. Then there's mindless. Some 20 rungs further down, there's this movie - son of sardar.

Try as I might, I can't find 1 good thing about this movie. Not one. Movies like this and Tees Maar Khan are made with the sole intention of cheating the public.

The songs are pure and sheer torture. The action is just so, so bad. At one point, a person rides 200 metres on a motorcycle in a straight line, when the motorcycle is upside down, taking time out to laugh at a line, that's repeated at least 20 times in the movie, without rhyme, reason or timing - "Kadi has bhi liya karo ji". How is this line funny in any god damn way ?

I don't know what santa banta jokes are being talked about, there's not a single santa banta joke in the movie. The lame shaayari ( urdu couplets ) looks like something they rejected/edited out of the movie one-two-three.

If you were to put a gun to my head, I'd say the ONE 'ok' thing about the movie is Sonakshi Sinha. Despite her rapidly burgeoning forehead, she has a buxom woman appeal to her, something that is baffling because she's neither very beautiful, nor a very good actress. However, she manages to deliver an average performance in a very very below average movie.

Please, please give this one a miss. This is SO not worth your time or money, and it is very rarely I say this about a movie ( the only other movie I say this about it Tees Maar Khan ). Imagine two levels below Tees Maar Khan.

Awful, just awful.
4 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sardonically Stupid! Avoid!
Tejas Nair17 November 2012
The story is clichéd, actors look like cartoons, the sequences are boring, jokes are stereotyped and hence, the movie is pure disaster.

After watching Jab Tak Hai Jaan and to an extent getting disappointed, i tried this and I regret I watched both. Surely, it is not a remake, but Ajay Devgn's image as an actor has been tarnished after this just like SRK after Ra.One. He shouldn't have produced and/or acted in this movie which has no particular message to deliver, no cinematography, no screenplay.

The only thing it has, for which I have painstakingly awarded it 2 stars, is the slapstick. I recommend you to avoid it or your Diwali will be a Diwala for no reason!

For more - bit.ly/TEJAS
5 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Another one in the era of 'TOO MUCH' Cinema
Gowtham Shravan Kumar13 November 2012
Lot of promotions and Ajay Devgn's previous hits had kept my expectation high. It did not turn out to be the way I expected. But it was not bad either. The movie largely revolves around the rivalry between two families and... Well sorry. As far as the plot is concerned, that is about it. This film, pretty much like what the trend is, relies on wire stunts which are live action version of many cartoon network programs. It was, till a few years ago, limited to Telugu and Tamil films. Then I realized that it is a remake of a Telugu film (No wonder). Fun filled good songs get over withing 1st 25 minutes of the movie and you will have nothing to look forward. Is SOS complete waste of time? No. It does make one laugh but not very often. Certain dialogs are well written and well delivered. If you are a fan of PJs you can give it a try. Editing could have been better. Wait till the film comes on DVD or till it premieres on TV. Paying Rs.250 (or more) for SOS does not look justified.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
total waste
imdb-ikysmoviedatabase22 December 2012
Sanjay Dutt, Ajay Devgon, and Juhi chawla, are some of the most talented and respected actors in the Indian film industry. When such talent comes together all in one movie, audiences expectations become incredibly high. But Son Of Saldar does not live up to the expectations at all. It is just like most other recent main stream Hindi films, that fails to keep the audience entertained after the half way point, and really starts dragging on and repeating its self with the same old boring twists and turns, plus crappy dialogues that we see and hear in every other Hindi film.

Sonakshi sinha is the new light in Hollywood after her award winning performance in Dabangg, she sadly has not had any luck with getting any good roles, but still her movies have mostly been very successful at the box office. Thanks to the star power of her films. I think at this moment only salman Khan might bring out the best of her performance in Dabangg 2.

Talking about the plot is just a waste of time, either they are short of talent, when it comes to writing a script, or they just don't want to take the risk of trying something original. With an average budget. Instead they just want to waste a lot of money, on making pure junk for us to watch on the big silver screen.!

After loosing there freedom of copying all Hollywood Movies, they just ended up going south, and are now strongly committed of only ripping of south Indian films from A to Z. its just such a shame how they can just keep letting there fans down like this, after admitting there audience has gone really mature now. So if they really mean that, then why gives us this over the top fake action scenes that are worse then a cheap animated movie, with dumb and stupid comedy's?

I really regret wasting my money on this trash, cause ajay devgon comedy's normally be okay at worst, but this time I could not wait for this movie to end. I just felt silly sitting there with 6 other people who made the same mistake of buying tickets for this Son Of a Joke movie.!
1 out of 1 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Family Entertainer to Enjoy with your FnFs - without any vulgar jokes or scenes
Chocolate_Boy15 November 2012
First and foremost, I would like to say I am a movie buff. I like all kinds of genres from Comedy to Drama, Horror to Romance. One think I would like to say is if you like only 'Art House' films then I would suggest you don't watch it. But if you're a movie buff I suggest you to watch it with your friends & family especially during festive season.Because in today's time its really hard to find a film which does not have any vulgar materials/scenes/jokes what you can't watch with your family in bollywood. The film starts in London where Jassi(Ajay Devgn) lives with his pathan friend Salman Khan.Jassi came to know that he has a land in India which govt wants to buy.He inherited that land from his father.but later he also came to know that his father had a fight with sandhu family.His father killed Sandhu families leading man & he killed Jassi's father.but he decided to go to India & sell his property & come back without getting noticed by them.But unfortunately he ended up having lunch with the Sandhu family in their own house.They came to know that Jassi is their enemy of whom they were waiting for years.But Sandhu family has a culture of not fighting with any guests while they are inside the house.So,they wait for Jassi to go outside of the house.Later, Jassi came to know about that.He does some funny things to stay as much as possible. There is a love story also goes with the flow.Sukhmeet (Sonakshi Sinha) meets Jassi in the train.She's the sister of Sandhu (Sanjay Dutt). Now I am gonna point out the positive & negative things:: POSITIVES : A wholesome Entertainer, A festive season Film to watch with Fnfs, Juhi Chawla (as Sanjay Dutt's 'mu boli biwi'),action sequences, Bichdann song, Salman Khan & of course Ajay 'Singham' Devgn NEGATIVES : A brainless humor which few 'artistic cinema lovers' don't like, 2 songs should be better(as Himesh was the Music Director) P.S - Don't fu**ing compare with JTHJ as both are diverse genres.
4 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Old sword with new polish (Puranee talwar par nayee dhar)
dineshprakash14 November 2012
Nothing new in story line but presentation is good. Movie is very good till interval. Screenplay is good. Few scenes compel to laugh a loud. Dialogues are excellent. Action is innovative and good. Major drawback of this film is it's very weak love track. Climax depends upon love story but love is not shown so promptly. "GHAJINI" is the best example of strong love story and action revolving around it. Performance wise Sanjay Dutt is awesome. Juhi Chawala is also good. Ajay Devgan is fine. Sonakshi Sinha looks plump. Expressionwise she is justified but she should reduce some weight. One song "RAJA TU MAIN RANI" is good. Afterall, you can enjoy once.
5 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Diwali Bombastic Entertainer
tanmay-testing12 November 2012
What more one can expect in Diwali festivities. Son of Sardaar is larger than life entertainer, with loads of comedy, drama, action, emotion, love. With power packed actors like Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt, Juhi Chawla and new sensation Sonakshi Sinha, the film is a packaged firecracker in this Diwali. The songs are chartbusters and can be heard everywhere and are in tune with festivities. This film can be viewed with friends and families in these holidays and in groups and can be enjoyed by all. After a long time, such a film is made with entertainment value in it so much that it will make this Diwali happier!!
6 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
SON OF SARDAAR is a great movie
Arun Kumar Abhinav13 November 2012
SON OF SARDAAR is a great movie which fulfills complete need of audience. It has an excellent entertainment story where anyone will always be happy to see comedy, action, sound and picture quality. This movie also explains Indian society traditions and cultures so this is very good for children, students, men, women, boys and girls including all workers and professionals. I had never seen this types of excellent movie after ALL THE BEST. Ajay Devgan is looking like a real Sardar and Sanjay Dutt is also looking like a real Sardar but both living style and thinking is very different. Both actors have funny dialogs, Ajay Devgan loves Sukh and Sanjay Dutt also like to Pammi. There is a child roll in movie who has plays his roll very well. Son of Sardar is a complete movie which creates another excitement to see it again as I have never feel bore in complete movie. All have played their great roll in whole movie so I would like to say thanks to Mr. Ajay Devgan.
10 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A ReallY Good entertainment for family
meets199212 November 2012
I think its a full on entertainment with action and comedy for a family.It make your money utilized.With superb acting by stars Ajay and Sanjay this film makes a good rating.Villain really suits into the character.You will love to watch him.A must watch movie for Festive days. Yeah if you love romantic movies fully then this is not the one you will love.But if you get boredom by watching a one concept movie and if you want a good mixture then this movie is perfect for you. Else watch it and review..It was pretty enjoyable from beginning to end.The scenes are well executed.The acting was top-notch.ajay devgun films has done a good job.
8 out of 26 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining
vikasmalikchd13 November 2012
Watched Son Of Sardar : first 2 hr's non stop fun & last half an hour is also not bad. Salman Kkhan's 1st scene is unexpected.

I thought the son of sardar would be an angry men but Ajay Devgan came out with a funny character. Sonakshi played a parallel Character along with Ajay Devgan.

A man came back from abroad to sell his land but in the last he got a wife :). This is something i can't digest & here's the story unfinished. Over cunning shot's were there, like Sanjay Dutt put's a man by holding his legs in the earth, lol.

But overall movie is good.It will keep you laughing all the way with repeated Ajay Devgan's pet dialogue. Mukul Dev & Dara g played their roles properly. 1 more thing while movie running in the village they shooted in Mansa Devi's Backside Temple i.e. Patiala Mandir which sounds funny how come Mansa Devi temple is in Phagwara area.

ahahahahahhahahaha.
5 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Hilarious movie
aaronbir15 July 2017
Nice storyline great movie but overall this it's great comedy

Ajay devgn is funny Sanjay dutt is superb sonakshi is brilliant juhi is good other artists are fine

Songs are truly amazing and editing is really awesome as well

Good action scenes

Overall my own rating is 7/10

Super duper hit film
0 out of 0 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Its very entertaining and its action is amazing
smrawat13 July 2016