IMDb > "Mob City" (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Mob City"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Mob City" More at IMDbPro »

Good Show

Author: rasultnt2008 from Iran
6 December 2013

Well, when it's Frank Darabont you know it's gonna be good. i love the cast, Jon Bernthal and Jeffrey DeMunn from The Walking Dead and Robert Knepper From Prison Break.

I usually don't write reviews on IMDb after watching few episodes but Hey!! this season is only 6 episodes.

well, i haven't watched Boardwalk empire yet, but so many people say Mob city is not even half as good as boardwalk, but i love it it was a slow start but i liked it, so many people say it was boring, well i have to disagree, i watched 90 minutes without pause, i love the mob stories, and there's this character (Joe) there are so many things about him that we don't know yet and i'm really curious to find out what his purpose really is.

I absolutely loved Sid (Robert Knepper) and Bugsy Characters. i've heard that the Ratings were not good but i hope they don't cancel a show like this.

Great new period show.....

Author: lnewhallallen from United States
5 December 2013

This new show captured our attention from the get go", loved the dark film noir style as well as wardrobe. This is true to the time and accurate on most levels. Based on true events really make you think who's on your side. The law is corrupted , the the bad guys (mob) are bad news and love the fact that LA was so liberal in regards to interracial blending in public bars and clubs. Love the Jazz movement and soulful singers. The locations used in the pilot are LA today but all the old buildings that were built in the 20's and 30's seem new. You get a real appreciation for the history of LA the architecture and the rise of Hollywood and show business too. This is our history...this is truly how people lived in those days. There seems to be a lot of blood shed and dismemberment pretty hardcore for the faint of heart but may appeal to a male dominate audience. Would like to see more ladies in coming episodes with a hint of glamor and old Hollywood!, may attract a larger female demographic. Directed by one of the best!, bravo to all parties involved. Looking forwards to episode 2.

Classic Noir!

Author: JNobre from Portugal
12 December 2013

Warning: This review is only based on the first two episodes released side by side. And is only indicative of the show's quality during this time frame.

If there is anything to be said about Mob City is that it isn't ashamed of it's roots. Whiskey, jazz, smoke and guns...this is as noir a tale as they come. From the narration to the wardrobe. Not the usual TV drama audiences are used to. It takes a gamble in a genre that's not famous with the mainstream, and i applaud it for taking that route.

It is true however, that by thriving in a road that has been walked on time and time again, some archetypes and conventions are spotted from the very beginning. The downbeat detective, the friendly mobster, the comic relief, the love interest. What the show will do with these parts remains yet to be seen. But for now i can say that it didn't stop me from deeply enjoying it's premiere. The thing about archetype characters is that they can be a lot of fun in the context of referencing and as a homage to the genre the show so clearly has a love for. And i had a lot of fun with them.

Something has also to be said about the acting, that convincingly breathes life into these characters. Everyone is great, but of course i am always happy to see Simon Pegg even in the silver screen.

For now this is a cautiously optimistic review to series that shows promise and indulges in the genre it tries to bring to life ever so lovingly.

Darabont is back

Author: msmshipp62
5 December 2013

Great to see Darabont back in TV. Mob City is a great show, very toned to the times and loved the fact of sticking to the times and the fact of a very complex story yet to come. I only didn't like the shortness of the season but that's what Darabont did with The Walking Dead, and look how well it is doing. Very happy about the show, and a very slow move to a bigger plot that is going on. I loved Jon Bernthal in Walking Dead along with Jeffery Demunn, and Andrew Rothenberg. The show is very accurate(I think). I would hope this series is renewed and takes off like walking dead did, and hopefully this will be a big hit for Darabont.

Brilliant, very entertaining and left me wanting to see more

Author: mercianwarrior from UK
5 December 2013

After reading other reviews for this, I wonder if we watched the same show. I know people's opinions are subjective, but I really feel that some professional critics are just judging this harshly because they're seeing others doing so and want to jump on the bandwagon.

Apart from a couple of cops with designer stubble two days in a row – this show captured the 1940s perfectly. Actors spoke like they were in the 40s, people dressed like they were in the 40s. There was no inappropriately placed political correctness to make it feel fake. The name of the jazz club was very racist (there's no getting away from the fact that 1940s America was a very racist place, I for one prefer it's not brushed under the carpet) Simon Pegg uses some racist language and women were told they had to be escorted home.

The script was great, Simon Pegg's first exchange with the main protagonist gave a glimpse of the quality of the writing early on. Alexa Davalos was perfect as the femme fatal. I really felt like I was watching a Katharine Hepburn or a Rita Hayworth rather than someone pretending to be from that time period. Overall, the casting and the dialogue was perfect. There were lots of familiar faces.

As for production values, they were off the charts. The pilot featured different time periods, the 20s and the 40s (not sure if this will be an ongoing thing but I hope so) and both looked perfect. No expense was spared. It was good enough to be mistaken for a medium-to-high-budget movie. It looked a lot like Polanski's Chinatown.

As for the plot – I can only describe the first two episodes as very satisfying. I love Boardwalk Empire - which is a very similar show – but I often feel unfulfilled after viewing. Like I've eaten all my vegetables and only got half a steak. The pacing in this was just-right.

Overall, I enjoyed every scene, every second. I remember thinking "this is great" while watching it. Outside of watching Breaking Bad, I haven't enjoyed watching something this much for a long time. I'm confident the IMDb score will pick up as the quality becomes undeniable. I've seen many good shows start with an average rating on here, and pick up once the professional critics stop savaging it. I don't think this will be any different.

Not very good

Author: ankhharu from United States
1 December 2014

I had low expectations considering this was a TNT product, but that didn't help. It seems prime time and networks like TNT just can't put together a good show that's not a comedy. I'm not at all surprised that this was cancelled as it feels cheap, flimsy and not authentic. Shows like Boardwalk Empire pull you in with exceptional sets and cinematography. Giving you a feel as if the show was actually shot in that time period. Mob City does no such thing and gives a very "LA set" feel to it. Furthermore, despite recognizable faces, the show is full of supporting actors. None of the actors are lead material, and therefore are unable to carry the show. Had a strong actor been cast in one of the lead roles, the show may have been able to make up it's other shortcomings. Instead, we are left with what feels like a football team with backup players and no Quarterback.

CANCELED bring it back like family guy

Author: pakof6
14 February 2014

Honestly I am extremely disappointed in TNT they hit gold with this show and don't want to take the time to let it grow. This show is better then breaking bad the wire the walking dead, I just started watching and yes online didn't even get to finish it before finding out it was canceled I am on a mission to get this show back on the air. Why is it that a GREAT show such as this is canceled before it can snow ball before anyone one even knows about it. Reminds me of the black donallys but more tragic. Please help me spread the word and bring this already classic back to life. Thanks for taking the time to read this if only tnt would take the time to give the show a chance!

One of the best on television

Author: scottb1212 from Wilmington, Delaware
20 December 2013

Frank Darabont has struck gold with this series ! I was addicted to The Walking Dead, but i now have my new fix. Mob city is the best portrayal of early organized crime in Los Angeles. The Characters are vivid, and the dialogue is very accurate for the time period. . The show almost makes me wish I myself lived in the 1940's! John Bernthal did an excellent job on The Walking Dead, but he out did himself on Darabonts new crime drama. Not only does the show have you guessing where the plot is going next, but it will leave your blood pressure rushing just from all of the shootouts / action scenes, I feel a lot of television shows have lost the ability to keep it "old school" in a sense with the real explosions, and authenticity which surrounds Mob city.I am really hoping they will bring this show back for many seasons to come~

Outstand Drama but don't use it as a History Lesson

Author: stevek712 from The Other California
23 December 2013

The reviewer wrote about the accuracy of the film, but I doubt he is any more qualified to say that than I. As a dark Drama, it is outstanding. I love the way they all talk like a '40s crime drama. The costuming is also outstanding. As to racial integration, ask retired Mayor Tom Bradley who also retired as an LAPD Captain. Life as a "Negro" was not that easy. This was the time when LAPD was cleaned up using the skill of Chief Parker and the influx of experienced and mature WWII Veterans. The detectives also display only little guns. A lot carried larger frame and longer barreled 6 shot revolvers like the 4" Colt New Police and the Smith and Wesson M&P. We need to avoid using film as a history lesson. For example, "Chinatown" is not based upon fact.

Mob City Episode 1

Author: joseph_sellings from United Kingdom
18 January 2014

Frank Darabont knows exactly what he's doing, from a great cast to awesome screenplay, this is a hit. For me, I love film noir especially when its about mobsters in the prohibition era. Jon Bernthal, Jeffery DeMunn and Andrew Rothenberg from The Walking Dead, and Robert Knepper from Prison Break, the cast is brilliant. Everything about this first episode, sold itself to me. I was extremely impressed, and cannot wait for the next episode to unravel. The plot can go anywhere within reason, and if you don't know too much about mobsters lifestyle its all new and exciting stuff to go ahead and watch. Simon Pegg stars also, so that's a bonus.