IMDb > The Longest Daycare (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Longest Daycare

The Longest Daycare More at IMDbPro »

Great to see The Simpsons on the big screen again,please keep this up,

Author: Dillon Harris from Ireland
2 July 2012

The Longest Daycare is a fantastic short that shows before Ice Age 4.I t was great to see these characters on the big screen again,even if it was just Marge and Maggie.Matt Groening has confirmed that there will be more Simpsons shorts in the future,and I'm delighted to hear this and I hope its gearing us towards a sequel to The Simpsons Movie.I enjoyed how we saw Maggie as the main role in this because it was silent and it reminded of Charlie Chaplin and the old Mickey Mouse cartoons.

Marge sends Maggie off to the daycare for the day and Maggies enemy,Gerald,the baby with one eyebrow,is cruising butterflies for fun.Maggie friends a butterfly that resembles her blue bow,and must free the butterfly before Gerald gets near it.

I pretty much enjoyed watching The Simpsons: The Longest Daycare before the latest Ice Age movie

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
11 August 2012

Just watched this Simpsons short in 3-D before the latest Ice Age movie with my movie theatre-working friend just now. In this one, Maggie is dropped in daycare with the "nothing special" toddlers especially one baby boy who likes to stomp on things. It's there that Maggie bonds with a caterpillar who she tries to protect from that same boy...This was quite funny with many clever sight gags including one involving Ayn Rand. Since only mom Marge is the only other one from the family that appears here, this was dialogue-free. Liked the use of some classical music in the scoring and seeing some of the other kids from the series in some scenes. So on that note, The Simpsons: The Longest Daycare was worth it watching before the main feature.

Good, but short

Author: Neil Welch from United Kingdom
20 July 2012

This is a short (5 minutes) film featuring Maggie at her daycare centre: denied the stimulus of contact with the brightest kids, she is placed with her nemesis, the thuggish monobrowed baby who, in this story, kills butterflies.

There is no dialogue, just a simple story, loaded with sight gags, and with a terrific payoff. It is in the familiar Simpsons animation style, albeit in 3D which is reasonably effective but far from essential. It works well, as an ice-breaker (pun deliberate) for the 4th Ice Age movie, which it precedes.

A minimal, but welcome, addition to the Simpsons canon.

Very good short featuring my favorite Simpson

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
16 January 2014

This short was nominated for an Academy Award. There will be spoilers:

This short, which is without dialog, takes place at The Ayn Rand School For Tots. Maggie is left there by Marge and is incorrectly labeled of average intelligence. Of course, she spends the rest of the short proving she's anything but that, as she safeguards a caterpillar through its various stages from the predations of the unibrowed Gerald, another baby and her enemy from time to time.

There's a chase scene and lots of very nice visual touches throughout the short. The ending is perfect and allows Maggie the opportunity to chew the scenery, like any good ham actor would.

Well crafted short which is well worth watching. Most recommended.

Good, but despite the Oscar nomination, Simpsons has done better in its past

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
19 February 2013

I heard of this short film because it was screened about 6 times in one day in the UK when it was released and the weekend paper informed me that it was one of the animated shorts up for the Oscar this year, so I figured I should give it a look. The plot sees Maggie enrolled in daycare only to find another baby in the "meh" class is smashing butterflies. Maggie saves a caterpillar from a similar fate and tries to keep it safe until it can become a butterfly. The plot is simple but it is played out wordlessly and with a sense of operatic melodrama that is clever despite not totally working.

It is clever, but not as clever as it should have been; it is funny, but never as funny as it should have been and it is sweet, but never as heartfelt as expected. The biggest problem it has is the stable that it comes from, because the legacy of The Simpsons is a massive shadow to escape, either generally or specifically. I say specifically because this short film is in the shadow of not only the golden era of the show but it isn't even the best "Maggie in the nursery" that the show has produced, since the Great Escape sequence in the Streetcar episode was stronger and funnier than this.

It is still good though and it is worth a look even if it isn't up to Simpsons at its best but then, in fairness, what is?

Not Short Enough

Author: giggitygiggitygoo451 from Ireland
27 February 2013

The question The Longest Daycare raises is "what is the point?" Overall, it's an interesting enough experience, and it is certainly an antidote to the spectacularly awful standard of the television show for the last few years. But as a standalone experience, it just seems kind of pointless.

For starters, the story isn't exactly the most original ever conceived. We see Maggie being dropped off at daycare by Marge, and she is then left to fend for herself against her arch-nemesis, baby Gerald. Let alone the fact that this kind of story has already been done in various different ways a couple of times, it has also been done much better. The television episode "A Streetcar Named Marge" deals with Maggie being sent to Daycare, and we've seen baby Gerald several times also, so there really isn't many new ideas raised here.

Also, Maggie is actually quite a strong character considering she rarely, if ever, talks, but despite this she is the one Simpson that tends to be forgotten about, so a short based solely on her probably was never going to work particularly well anyway.

It does, however, allow the writers to work without dialogue, which is an interesting idea that we haven't seen from the Simpsons before, and is the strongest aspect of the short, and is certainly the best way to deal with a story based on Maggie.

Unfortunately, this doesn't save the story from being weak, and the adventure Maggie embarks on in daycare is pretty lacklustre and not particularly exciting or entertaining. Couple that with the brand-new animation, which I firmly believe only reminds us that this isn't the same show that was so legendarily hilarious and of such high quality back in its prime, and we're left with merely another hollow shell of what The Simpsons used to be.

The Longest Daycare is another example of the traps the show has fallen into these last few years. The new-age animation can't make up for poor stories, unfunny scenarios and wasted characters. This kind of material is fine for low-rated, low-quality shows struggling to get by, but it shouldn't be enough for The Simpsons.

Good, but how is this much different from watching these characters on TV?

Author: planktonrules from Bradenton, Florida
2 February 2013

I have been going to the theater on a pilgrimage for quite a few years now each January-February to see the annual showings of the Best Animated and Best Live Action Shorts. I am lucky enough to live in one of the few places in the country that shows it each year. Now what I am about to say might offend some, but it seems that compared to most years, this year's crop of animated shorts is not as good as usual. While I liked a few films, I didn't love any of them--and no really memorable film was in the lot (such as a couple recent winners, "Logorama" or "The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr. Morris Lessmore"). Now this is not to say not to see them--but none bowled me over, that's for sure.

I enjoyed "The Simpsons: The Longest Daycare" quite a bit--and the people in the theater seemed to like it as I heard a lot of laughs. However, I wonder how it got nominated. Apart from being shown in 3-D as a short before a feature film, it just felt much like seeing a TV episode of "The Simpsons". While this TV show is great, it isn't original and I can't see rewarding a film for giving us more of what we've been seeing for over 20 years. Good but nothing special.

Just like a 5 minute segment of a 'SIMPSONS' TV episode.

Author: Hellmant from United States
6 February 2013

'THE SIMPSONS: THE LONGEST DAYCARE': Three Stars (Out of Five)

A 'SIMPSONS' animated short that was actually nominated for a 2013 Oscar! It's 5 minutes long and focuses on Maggie Simpson's adventures at an Ayn Rand Daycare center. As she's placed with the normal kids, she longs to join the gifted children but then makes it her mission to save a butterfly cocoon from an evil Baby Gerald instead. The movie is somewhat humorous if you get a kick out of Maggie but nothing really special. It's just like a 5 minute segment of a 'SIMPSONS' TV episode. It was directed by David Silverman, who also directed 2007's 'THE SIMPSONS MOVIE' (and written by many of the same writers). It also played in theaters before 'ICE AGE: CONTINENTAL DRIFT'. Why this is up for an Oscar is beyond me but if you like the 'Simpsons' you're almost sure to enjoy.

Watch our movie review show 'MOVIE TALK' at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6yq7kwUUDQ