IMDb > "Comic Book Men" (2012) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Comic Book Men"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Comic Book Men" More at IMDbPro »

Just what nerds needed

Author: akqjofspds from United States
19 March 2012

I don't care about old tea kettles and lamps, Im a comic book nerd and this is my pawn stars. The guys are funny and knowledgeable. They have a lot of neat stuff that comes through the front doors and some of the stuff on the show feels scripted but who cares as long as its entertaining, i mean who really wants "reality" any way. Then they do this podcast thing every episode thats really fun, just a bunch of friends hanging out. and they start every episode with some really funny topic that usually gets a good laugh or two.. like "what superhero chick would you want to have sex with?" lol. Im so glad kevin decided to make this show. hopefully there's a season 2.

Comic Rock!

Author: killer1h from United States
13 March 2012

I'm a big fan of comic stuff, like old superhero's, movies, obviously comics. To me this show actually goes above and beyond I mean, it's literally like clerks but in a comic store. Probably because its directed by Kevin smith but still.

When I first heard about this show my thoughts were "it's just going to be a boring comic book show", but it's not! This show is hilarious and the stuff they talk about is something you can really see yourself doing when you sit around and just joke with friends.

I give it a 10/10 because its just got every element that you expect in a comic book store show and more.

Finally something for the true geek and not the huddled masses.

Author: Julia Rosendahl from Sweden
13 March 2012

For sure I am a true Kevin Smith fan, and I think that his genius shows through even in this media. He has made some great movies, an awesome pod-cast so why not kick ass in the TV media? and I must say he and the other cast does it very well.

References are flying left to right and the all speak from the heart. They get all hot and bothered when they speak about comics/heroes/toys, they relay the feeling all we nerds across the world has felt many times over when sifting through this weeks comic book releases or when we finally got our hands on that collectible to we lost or never got somewhere in our childhood.

I love that they use clips from "The Stash" with real customers, everything from the nut-case- geek to the politically correct mom that despise everyone that can give their little child a cat woman doll. And the spontaneous conversations that just nerds get, like which Spiderman costume did you think was best? etc. etc.

So, to sum up. If you love comics, heroes, collectibles, sci-fi you should definitely check this show out. I'm a computer programmer by trade and I would give up my job in a heartbeat to get to work in Comic book store like that. So this is the next best thing.

I enjoy this show and do NOT read comic books!

Author: thesavants08 from United States
19 March 2012

This show is hilarious! I am a female and do not read comic books, and I really enjoy this show. I hate when people say oh you have to read comic books or love Smith to enjoy this show. That is far from the truth. What I do know of comic book stories(which is not much), I get from movies made from them. From the show: I enjoy seeing how much the toys,books, etc. brought in off the streets to the store are worth. I also like when they explain some of the comic books in the show. They sound ten times better than the movies made from them half the time. I think the interaction between the guys on the show is what makes it for me. They are constantly asking each other about crazy hypothetical situations, and in general always saying something hilarious. They have also gotten into some funny situations on the show. All in all I enjoy it, and it conveniently comes on after the Walking Dead.

Kevin smith fans will love it... unfamiliar viewers will remain puzzled

Author: virtualxi
13 February 2012

As a Kevin Smith fan I can say that I enjoy most of his work in both film and in in recent years Smodcast Internet Radio and to be quite honest I think that this show is targeted for Smith fans only.

The humor has the signature "Smodcast" written all over it. There is comic talk, there are escapades to the flea market and there are dick jokes. In the radio show when the conversation works it is really funny and, when it doesn't you keep listening waiting for the conversation to improve and it applies also to the TV show: When the "comic book men" bounce on one another it is funny to listen but I felt that the haggling with the customers was too "weird" for the sake of being weird... yes, I know there are customers like that in comic book shops - I've dealt with them - but in no way, shape or form would I consider filming them, those are the parts that I'd "switch-off" waiting for the funny talk.

Like I said at the beginning. If you are a Smodcast/Tell'em steve dave you'll enjoy this similarly to how you enjoy the podcast,(see/hear once, laugh, forget about it). If you are a casual viewer... well I don't see how this would appeal to you, not because it is bad but because it is targeted for a very specific demographic for better or worse.

As a SMod fan the only thing that I feel is that this is a bit redundant, specially in the form of a TV show. It is filmed for the sake of being filmed instead of told in a podcast as a funny story.

I like this show

Author: Vincenza8907 from United States
12 March 2012

I am not going to say this is the best show ever or anything like that, but I enjoy watching nerds talk. It is a funny show. I think the guys are hilarious. I would actually be disappointed if this show went off the air. I was not expecting to like the show as much as I do. The main reason I started watching was because I like kevin smith, but I also like his friends in this show. I hate reality TV. If this show goes off the air, but crap like Jersey Shore remain I will lose all faith in humanity. I am not a comic book fan. I never was able to get into it, but I appreciate them as some of my friends are. This really is a show about nothing. It is hilarious and awesome.

Oddly Awesome and Compelling

Author: Brattsy from USA
25 March 2012

I clicked the stars to rate this at first an eight, but then I got to thinking about how I came about watching this show and I had to bump it to a ten.

Normally, Reality TV and I do not mix well. They're just not a type of show that interest me. When I started the first episode, I had no idea it was reality TV. I almost turned it off. And then a customer came into the shop.

It was like the Antique Roadshow(a show I love), but with comic books and a funnier cast.

I quickly found the rest of the episodes and I haven't stopped watching.

The store's manager is funny, smart and he has integrity, something many Reality TV shows lack in their main cast of characters. The whole cast of the show is quirky and interesting, actually.

This is the first review for anything from me on IMDb, though I've belonged for years. I just felt compelled to write this review, much like the compulsion to watch the show.

I don't even like comic books! It's still really, really great.

Basically, Pawn Stars but with a lot more TV, Movie, and comic book references!

Author: Atomic_Peace from United States
27 February 2013

Like the summary said! Comic Book Men is set in Kevin Smith's trade and barter store based in New Jersey, known as Jay and Silent Bob's Secret Stash, often shortened to just The Stash. Smith and friends operate the store, solely founded over film and comic book propaganda.

I rather enjoy the show, I am an avid movie and TV fan, and I plan to start reading comic books, sometime later this year. I enjoy trade and barter, it is a subject I have fond interest in it, as you never know what you will see. I don't get the comic book references, but I try, and that's what counts.

Let me put it this way, did you grow up on TV, movies, and comic books? Merry Christmas!

The fact that they do this unscripted is surprising, because trust me when I say that this show is hilarious!

I give the show 8 film rolls.

Fanboy's delight...

Author: poe426 from USA
17 February 2012

I tried for years to get one of the local comic shop owners- in two different cities, in two different states- to do just such a show for Public Access; none of them were interested (despite the fact that it would've amounted to free advertising), and I finally quit asking. It's all moot, now, I guess, because the local Public Access channel was dropped from the local cable system (despite protests, although I read somewhere just recently that a local religious faction is clamoring for air time, so it may be resurrected). Public Access was- and still is, in cities where it's available- the perfect venue for a talk show about comic books. And it's about time, too: comic books are Big Business these days in Hollywoodland. COMIC BOOK MEN is the perfect companion piece to THE BIG BANG THEORY.

A Promising New Series

Author: charlespdk from United States
13 February 2012

It's really too early to tell if this show will be good or not, but I'll make a guess anyway. As a comic book enthusiast, I enjoyed seeing Blade's first appearance comic book and an old Marvelmania Thor poster by Jack Kirby brought into the store to pawned-er-I mean sold. As with Pawn Stars, there will be questions as to whether or not the 'sellers' are real people or hired actors given props to sell to the store. The show also seems to favor a round table like discussion (which is apparently Smith's pod cast) on the events happening in the store rather than doing those aside confessions synonymous with reality television. This format favors discussion and 'nerd' talk rather than backstabbing gossip. The two characters who seem to come at odds the most (Bryan and Ming) are always talking to each other, never behind the others back.

Which brings me to the crux of the show. Even if it is faked, the most important aspect will be these people who work (or in Bryan's case don't work) at the shop. Walt and Mike come across as the businessmen. Smith states that the success of the store is thanks to Walt and his assistant manager Mike. Ming apparently works on the stores website, but is something of a gofer for purposes of the show, I'm sure. Bryan is an older, heavy set, long gray bearded man (similar to Alan Moore's beard) who is supposed to be the shows Kramer, Chumlee, or Mikey. The funny guy who doesn't seem to do any work. While I found him amusing, it's still yet to be seen how the audience will respond to him.

I enjoyed the pilot and will continue to watch the series. As we see more episodes, we'll be able to find out how much is faked or not faked which may change my opinion. My hope is that they'll focus on that comic book shop talk that I've come to enjoy so much over the years and not the 'drama' of the more popular reality shows.