IMDb > The Art of the Steal (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Art of the Steal

The Art of the Steal More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Fantastic Heist Movie...good Twist ...Loved it!

Author: Michael Yates
8 February 2014

If you love heist movies like me then you will love this one...without spoiling, it has all the ingredients for a good heist movie: protagonist is hard done by antagonist; trust is burnt; work together again for a big score; can they trust each other again? But what I like about this movies is the intricate story...there are things afoot and they're not twelve inches...Can you work it out? I had a rough idea without working out the details but I still loved it.... works much better than Now You See Me in my opinion...has a B grade movie feel but an A grade kick in the pants at the end...I do like Kurt Russell and Matt Dillon. And it is great to see Kenneth Welsh...A very Good Movie...

Way better than expected

Author: emv1031
14 March 2014

I decided to review this one because some of the other reviews are slightly miss leading. I do not pretend in any way to be a film critic... Just your every day regular movie goer/watcher, and as such I must admit I really really enjoyed this one. It has enough twists and turns to keep you hooked till the end and delivers a nice sense of humor throughout the whole movie. Yes, maybe the movie did try a bit too much to be a type of Guy Ritchie meets Ocean's Eleven, but I wouldn't necessarily say that's bad, and I wouldn't say it failed at it either. Bottom line, if you are considering watching it don't think it over too much, go for it and enjoy it, I guarantee it'll have you hooked into the first 10 minutes.

surprise! nice one!

Author: siwaka from Croatia
15 March 2014

Seldom writing reviews, but this one deserved it... just because it got such a low rating.... the movie fulfills the promise of the genre - it's a heist movie, with a bit of comedy in it, and actually funny comedy... and it has interesting plot, with good twist... the acting could be better, the camera could be better, the story could have been better...everything could have been better, but then it would be another movie. This movie deserves higher rating, if for no other reason, then just because it delivers the promised. it s not a masterpiece, it s just a good movie to watch when you want to be entertained... not many movies these days do so, so i must say: bravo,finally!

A real treat

Author: garwhite44 from Canada
9 February 2014

What a great ride!

I'm Canadian, and nothing kills me more (being a Canadian) than saying that there is an undeniably 'crappy' feel to most, if not all, Canadian productions. That being said, this movie was actually really good. Great performances from most of the cast, really great to see Kenneth Welsh and Terence Stamp adding some credibility to whole thing.

As far as heist movies go, this one is fairly typical but the production/editing really pull it together. Kurt Russell does a great job along with Baruchel and Winnick and my usual aversion to Matt Dillon was even kept in check to some degree. Nice little twist-up at the end even if it was somewhat predictable. Also Some pretty funny scenes and exchanges, especially if you watch the outtakes in the credits.

All in all a great film with a surprisingly good feel.

Did this even go to the movie theaters?

Author: Branden Palmer from United States
20 February 2014

This was WAAAAYYYY better than what I thought it was going to be. There are very few movies I don't like of Kurt Russell's but the rest of the cast was pretty awesome too. The comedy part that stood out to me was the banter of Terence Stamp. Funny stuff there!

If you like Jay Baruchel's acting, you'll get some great scenes with him too. Especially when he had the beard on at the border crossing. Wasn't any nudity that I could think of which is always a bummer but good for the kids. While not action packed like Italian Job or movies of the sort, it was still a great watch. Definitely stay for the end credits as there are some out takes.

As fun as the Ocean's movies with a pay off that puts in almost on par with them. Heist fans will love this. I did.

Author: Tony Heck (cosmo_tiger@hotmail.com) from United States
4 April 2014

"If you got no trust that what do you got?" Crunch (Russell) and Nicky (Dillon) are brothers and partners in crime. When a job goes bad and they are both caught only Crunch ends up doing time. When he gets out he tries to go straight and becomes a motorcycle daredevil. When he tires of crashing for a few hundred bucks he agrees to pull off one last heist with his old team. They only thing standing in their way of pulling off the perfect heist is trust. This movie was a great surprise for me. I knew nothing about this going in and I think that helped my enjoyment of it. The movie was super fun to watch, really funny with a smart plot. This is the closest heist movie to the Ocean's series that has been made. Just like the Ocean's series the heist itself is fun to watch and the pay off brings it over the top. This is the kind of movie you can't say too much about without giving anything away but what I can say is watch this. One of the biggest surprises and funnest movies I have seen in a while. Overall, heist movie fans will love this...I did. I give this an A-.

It's not Danny Ocean caliber, but it is fun.

Author: jdesando from United States
16 March 2014

The Art of the Steal doesn't have the class of Ocean's Eleven, Guy Ritchie's eccentric bad boys, nor does it have the wry wit of In Bruges, but it does have enough enthusiasm, convoluted plot, split- screen framing, and seasoned cast anchored by Kurt Russell and Terence Stamp to make this dead-zone time of movie year bearable until May.

This religious texts heist, however, does have some class—art to be specific—and the Seurat original, along with some Mona Lisa recollections, is the main object of the crime. Russell's Crunch Calhoun and Matt Dillon's half-brother Nicky do one last heist, a thriller mainstay that promises much will go wrong before the denouement. Writer- director Jonathan Sobol's double-crosses and cocky hooligans last to the twisted end for a real "last" one.

With Jay Baruchel playing the greenhorn, and therefore the vulnerable part of the plan, fun ensues as he questions the sanity of the plan's convoluted steps. Even more fun is watching a deadpan Terence Stamp play a federal informer whose British accent and considerable knowledge of art inform every suspenseful moment with the exotic, the cultural, and the dangerous.

Part of the joy is trying to figure out where his character fits in with the lawful and the unlawful. Not happy, however, is the over-the-top reactions of Jason Jones' Interpol agent, Bick. Blame director Jonathan Sobol for not seeing the chasm between this sophomoric performance and Stamp's nuanced turn.

Kurt Russell has been in showbiz for at least a half century, and while his face shows some wear, his actorly sensibilities are sharply delivered in a film whose comic moments and frequent plot twists offer a brief respite in a waning but still ornery winter.

Something is missing.

Author: lunchboxwanderer from United States
8 February 2014

I can't put my finger on it though. I liked the characters, the actors and the idea.

It may have something to do with the fact that it tried too much to be like a "Guy Ritchie" London gangster movie.

Those are some of my favorite movies. Action packed, characters too stupid to get out of their own way, double crossing friends, and winning in spite of your incredible incompetence.

'Art of the Steal,' I think, tried to be that but fell short. The first half of it didn't do enough to create an anticipation for the second half when the gang of misfits gets back together for "the BIG JOB."

In the end, it just wasn't funny enough.

Great Movie.

Author: ondfritz2 from Colorado Springs, CO
28 August 2014

Maybe it was because I didn't expect much from this movie, but I really liked it. Great plot twist keep you guessing until the end. Suggested it to my coworkers and one said, "it was obvious what was going to happen, but then it took a turn and I was way off."

Everyone I've suggested it to said they liked it and I know some real movie critics. I also liked "The Score" with Robert De Niro and Edward Norton, maybe I am a sucker for a good "bad" heist movie. I really think this will become a cult classic, it's the box office flops that do. It's a cast of actors/actresses that you like and characters you will fall for. You won't be disappointed.

Very much a caper/heist movie from north of the 48th, that you could like.

Author: Jesse Boland from Burnaby, BC Canada
10 February 2014

This just doesn't happen enough, and really it was the 80's in my opinion since Canada actually made a good caper/heist movie. Most of this cast is Canadian, and top quality, it is a nice change really to not have just one, or two big name Canadians, then just a lot of fresh faces. The story is very good. I think they should go back, and fix that one Flashback phone call that the wording is different, and that would make this movie work completely. The Double cross is predictable, but fulfilling, and a great scene with the gang standing in the cold really freezing their faces off. I got everything out of this movie that I want from any movie, the story kept my interest, the characters felt real, and fleshed out for the most part, and the ending has to work. So with my needs met, I Enjoyed this one from the start Kurt Russell is great I want more Snake Plissken after seeing this. I do recommend this movie, and I hope it does really well, I mentioned that there is a major break in the reveal that needs to be fixed, but it is still a great movie, and if you miss the break all the better.

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]