IMDb > Metallica Through the Never (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Metallica Through the Never

Metallica Through the Never More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

It's time to fade to black and ride the lighting into the madness that is Metellica: Through the Never.

Author: RforFilm from Murrieta, CA
9 June 2014

You can really tell a lot about a person based on the music that they listen too. If you were to go through my friends computer, you would be likely to find Nickelback and Queen. So with that, you can tell that he listens to a lot of rock, which means that he's very laid back, yet a true American conservative, as a lot of the music asks for a lot of freedom in style. If you go into my iPod, you may find a lot of music styles ranging from rock to classical. This would tell you that my pallet is large, and is very open to trying anything once.

Going further into my content, you may come across the band known as Metallica. I have only been a fan for about two years, yet I find myself listening to their music a lot (except whenever I work). Yet the other interesting subject is that I don't listen to much heavy Metallica. Why is that so? I think it has to do with how the group tends to blur the lines of what kind of rock they will play. "With Nothing Else Matters" I get a hint of folk while "For Whom the Bell Tolls" is more thrash rock while "Creeping Death" even goes into Christian metal. I love a band that is open to exploring musical talent within their players.

So if One Direction and Justin Bieber can get a concert film, then why can't a band as legendary as Metallica get one? Well my wish was finally granted with the bizarre Metallica: Through the Never. It's clear that this group wanted to make a concert film, but a different concert film. Attached to the set list is a narrative story. A story that sends it's audience into hell to the soundtrack of Metallica's greatest hits.

As the band is preparing for big arena show, a young roadie named Trip (played by Dane DeHaan) has arrived to both work and enjoy a free gig. In the middle of "For Whom the Bells Toll", he is sent on a mission to pick up a bag that the band needs. He gets in his van, pops a pill and drives off. He starts his decent into madness when he's hit by another car. Getting out of that scrap, he comes across protesters, riot police, and a horseman that's out to kill him. At the same time, real footage of the band continues to play their songs, letting it guide the story of Trip.

What have I gotten myself into? Though I'm happy to get a different kind of concert movie, Metallica: Trough the Never was something I was not expecting. It looked like that director Nimród Antal wanted to join the ranks of Pink Floyd's The Wall, by crafting something that may have a lot of deep messages. I just don't know what they were. As beautiful as the narrative scenes were (not to mention another good performance from DeHaan, fresh from Chronicle), they were vague and don't ad much to the real show, Metallica.

Unlike the previous One Direction movie, Metallica gets an entire arena with a 360-degree stage. They take every advantage with cool props (they even manage to construct a lady of justice statue and let it crumble all under one song), coffin shaped video screens and even a multimedia floor that allows blood whatever the band needs for their songs. The concert was the best seat in the house to the IMAX group I was attending with as each angle captures the raw talent of the strums of the basest and beats of the drummer. Sit back and enjoy to hardcore music.

I'll give this four deadly horsemen out of five. This will probably be a tough sit through for mainstream film audiences, but metal heads and fans of Metallica are going to love this. I hope that someone else can decipher whatever the narrative scenes were trying to get across.

Excellent "concert" footage!

Author: bartenderbilly60 from Cincinnati, Ohio, U.S.A.
23 May 2014

I would have rated this 10 out of 10 if not for two things...

First, when the set falls apart and a couple members of the crew get "hurt" it was OBVIOUSLY (so, so, so obvious) a "plot twist" that made me wonder if the whole concert was real or not. Other than that, I would have accepted that this was a live set played to a sell out crowd and that these guys are still rock gods. Now I picture them getting halfway through Master of Puppets and James screaming, "CUT!!!! My lip sync was off on that take."

Two, what the hell was the "story" in the cut scenes supposed to be? Here's my synopsis of that... young, heavy metal Leonardo DiCaprio takes a hallucinogen before going out to gas up a truck. No plot. The only parts of the vignette I liked was the doll and when the roadie poured gas all over himself and lit up before getting beaten to a pulp. I was happy because I hoped that part of the movie would end.

This is entertainment

Author: jedo_team from Netherlands
15 February 2014

I have never seen a concert film before. After watching Through the Never I am not sure whether that statement remains true or not. I have seen snippets of what concerts videos are like and it seems like they are usually just that: videos of concerts shot from different angles. Perhaps a lazy overlay is thrown in every now and then but that's it. Through the Never on the other hand combines an awesome stage performance with a movie, like one very long awesome music video. I think Michael Jackson's Thriller lost its trophy for...whatever that was.

Even when it came to the scenes of the concert itself I was not sure how much of it was real. Wiki says that Through the Never uses concert footage from a set of concerts Metallica held in Vancouver. If so, those concerts must have been the most amazing ever. The stage and light effects are breathtakingly good.

The use of special effects was especially nice. They were not overused; there was just enough for a few cool scenes. Even though this is a concert film, I feel like this is the amount and quality of special effects that should be used in mainstream movies. Someone from Hollywood should be taking notes.

The sound was particularly good. A live recording is often just a washed out incoherent version of the studio recording, but just like in their S&M album, the "live" music in Through the Never is of great quality and the heavy bass of the distorted guitars is Godly. Don't know if that means the music was simply recorded in a studio and then adapted to the stage video and frankly do not care - it's really good.

Sadly, no new songs. I am not such a Metallica aficionado that I know their every song, but everything sounded familiar.

Im a dedicated fan BUT!!!!!!!!!

Author: collinmorgan7
1 March 2014

WORST MOVIE I've EVER SEEN!!! This directer just took a perfectly good band and mixed them in a blender with complete sh*#. Its like mixing Beethoven with slip knot. Worst movie I've ever seen in my freaking life. Every time it like shows a billion life years of Metallica and then switches to the other crap that makes no freaking since theirs not even a plot for the story for only a second, then switches back to Metallica for hours!!! Don't believe the other reviews those are just stupid fan boys. I bet James,Kirk,Lars,and Rob don't even like the movie. I bet when they saw the reviews they were probably like "WHAT THE F*%#"!!!!!!!!!!

A New Achievement In Filmmaking.

Author: michaelhirakida
10 January 2014

Nimrod Antel, Director of Predators makes an ambitious and captivating movie combining real concert footage with a short action story in Metallica: Through The Never.

I was very excited to see it and now I got to watch it online. So what did I think? Well I can tell you this: This is one of the best concert films of all time.

Metallica's music is used to tell the story of Dane Dehaan's Trip who is a crew member working for Metallica. The band is playing at Rogers Arena (Earlier Known to us Canadians as GM Place) and its a sold out show. One thing is missing and Trip must find it. What is it? We are never told even when we get to it. But he is in the middle of trouble as a battle breaks out in the city. Trip must get the bag carrying the unnamed item.

The music is what you want to see in a film like this. Metallica goes crazy and the arena gets trashed at the end! As For The Story, although you don't see much, it gives build up to what the next scene will be after the next awesome song.

God, Its 11 at night and Im tired so Ill just say watch it. Its great fun! Metallica fans will love it and people who are looking for something new are going to be amazed! 95/100 A

Amazing concert movie

Author: bobo-54 from Netherlands
19 October 2013

This movie was amazing as a concert movie, guiding the genre into a new era and setting the standard for many years to come. The addition of 3D pulls the viewer much closer to the action on stage, and almost makes you believe you were there, alongside all those Metallica fans having the time of their lives. As such, I highly recommend this to every Metallica fan, and every fan of good, honest music.

The downside however, is the story part with Dane de Haan. After seeing the movie, it still makes no sense to me, it adds nothing to the movie. Like a friend of mine said, they should have skipped all that and played Fade to Black.

I am 43 and was a fan of Metallica from the start.

Author: hisdroogness from United States/Belfast Northern Ireland
18 January 2014

For me Metallica was finished on 09-26-1986 When Cliff played his last gig. However I did like the Garage days $5.98 EP. Having said that the concert is polished even though I did not know several songs at all as the last L.P. I bought was Master of Puppets and the last item I ever bought was Cliff 'em All DVD. By no means is this the worst film I have ever seen. For a concert film it is quite good. And as it is as the other Doyle put it its a nice trippy surreal experience. And for me I needed it to make the vapid and jejune music of most songs since Cliff died and James'heart broke tolerable. I would never pay for it in the cinema I watched it at a friends but IMAX 3D would have been superb. All in all it is worth a look even if like me you have not liked them since Master of Puppets. I may even buy it in 3D if its in the Used bin (which I'm sure it will be) at F.Y.E. when I'm in the USA. The direction on the "film" is nice and the cut away's are well placed and well done. And as far as Dave "republican shill" Mustane being the poster who hated itNaww he is too busy counting money and kissing government @$$ to care about this piece of film.

Better than expected

Author: Jihad300 from Canada
9 October 2013

After watching the trailer, I fully expected this movie would have been better without the "story" ... but really, the sequences were short enough that it was just a nice rest for the eyes. Not much of a story, also I don't know how this is supposed to illustrate the songs, but whatever.

This is otherwise mainly a concert movie, where you are brought up on stage via 3D with Hetfield, Ulrich and Hammett. Oh yes, and the bass player.

Brilliant sound and video quality, if you missed the 'One' bombing live, you can re-live it here. Bring a few drinks (if you live in a country that's relaxed about it) and enjoy!

Incredible way of showing content from the songs

Author: Danny Goncalves from Venezuela
18 October 2013

I saw this movie last night, on the preview just for some guests and fans and of course the environment was Amazing and everyone was excited, that's the point for a Metallica fan, everything they do, they do it at big!.. So let me start by saying that if you are not a Metallica Fan, or at least don't like Metallica songs are all, DON'T GO and watch this movie, for Christ sake, its a movie named "Metallica" it is obviously gonna involve Metallica shots and songs.

Now to the main topic, i loved everything on the movie, from the performance, to the cameras, to the Amazing FX, (The giant statue from And Justice for All. Woah!), and the parallel story of Trip, and how everything was so connected to the songs and to what were they playing, sincerely if you at least like Metallica, you gotta watch this movie. its a non-miss one.

Metallica: the Never has been overthrown.

Author: nuechka from Moscow, Russia
4 October 2013

I would like to express my point of view and, beyond all doubt, my feelings about Metallica's new challenge. To start with, I've been a fancier since their Load- time. I only liked the music, the lyrics, the guitar experiments and never paid attention to any other sides of their out-of-music existence. Then there was a break for some years in my music-following life. To my own surprise, The Magnetic Tour brought me back to Metallica, in particular, Moscow Magnetic. I felt that I had no right to miss this event, and I did not! To cut the story short, it was incredible. After that I found out I let slip a lot of things, which happened to the band in those years. Thus, I began with documentaries and concert videos and understood that I fell totally in love with them again, but deeper, much deeper. To add more, not so long ago I was watching their set in Rio, as my six-year-old son came up to me and asked, who these guys, playing the guitars so cool, were. Then he asked me if he could go to their concert alone as soon as he is grown-up. I was laughing and at the same time almost crying, since I'm not sure it will happen, and I would love to it could. Moving back to the film, when there appeared the information about Metallica's new experiment in the filming area, I became absolutely confident that I'll see it despite any critics and opinions. One day I was watching a trailer and my son asked me, when I was going to take him to the cinema. There was no even doubt he wanted to see it. This is how we ended up there today and watched it to the final chord and caption. I was not able to say a word as I felt like I was there, in the film, taking part, ready to sing along and shout as loud as possible. At the end of the movie my son started clapping his hands and saying that it was well done by James (NB.: Hetfield is someone like Spider-man or Iron-man for my child nowadays). Of course, if you are a great cinema-goer and expert, I cannot affirm that you will like Metallica: Through the Never as a great action or something. On the one hand, many people who are not fans might even grumble something like that they did not get anything or what after all was in the bag. By the way, I think there was Cliff's ashes or (it may sound more romantic) Cliff's soul. On the other hand, I am very pleased that the film is considered to be for the fans, not only for getting some kind of profit (though this point is quite controversial, profit must be received from everything). For me personally Metallica: Through the Never is an amazing present. 3D gig with songs visualizations during the action - what could be better?! To sum up, I suppose, the film is highly- recommended to be seen to everyone. And if you, in addition, are a connoisseur of Metallica's works, you must see it.

Page 4 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]