IMDb > Metallica Through the Never (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Metallica Through the Never

Metallica Through the Never More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

A truly magnificent, astonishingly ambitious project

Author: gordlaws from South Africa
19 September 2013

Before anyone starts going off-topic in the comments, yes, I'm a fan. I also understand the irony of starting with that statement. My point: this is a review of a cinema experience. An outstanding one. Made more exciting to me because it happens to be by and about my favourite band. This is NOT a discussion of the merits of said band's existence. Although it will strike a mighty blow for Metallica when those arguments do inevitably come up, hopefully elsewhere. Moving swiftly along...

This is just a truly mind-blowing sensory overload. Never has a band showcased their live performance with such an ambitious, technical, multi-sensory project. I wouldn't have even thought it possible. They don't just use the handy 3D technology to add gimmick to the next in a long line of live video releases. No. Metallica have pushed the boundaries of the technology itself, and added dimensions to what we see as possible within the realm of 3D cinema.

I had the privilege of chatting with Lars about this when they played some shows here in March, and he described it as their "attempt to truly showcase what they do and who they are." Man, does this emphatically succeed.

The stage is a kind of mutant super-setup, comprising video screens, pyro, tesla coils and the best parts of everything they've ever done in their live shows. As the audience, you're in/on/under/part-of the stage, alongside the band, in glorious 3D.

And, it's tasteful. In as much as Metallica at their tightest, hardest, loudest, biggest and fiercest can be "tasteful."

As for the little story within what is really the best ever technical and technological presentation of a rock concert, it's a lovely compliment to the energy of the performance itself. I don't wanna give-away too much, but as the show begins, a young roadie is sent on an errand. Things go badly (surreally and beautifully) wrong. It's not just exhilarating, but wonderfully interwoven with the songs and the "storylines" within them.

I'm proud to have seen Metallica live seven times. I count this as the eighth. And it probably ranks fourth amongst those eight live (or, in this case, damn-near live) experiences. Truly, truly mind-blowing.

Metallica have truly - and astonishingly - documented what they do and why they are the very best there's ever been at doing it.

Essential for fans, and absolutely worthwhile for all but the most hateful of heavy music in general. Bravo.

If you're looking for a concert, then you will love it. If you want a movie, welll....

Author: Dario Kuvacic from Croatia
25 December 2013

now, I'm quite the metallica fan, so naturally when i heard they were making a movie, i was psyched, confused by the trailer but still.

I watched it in 3d with all the overpriced sugar and toppings of today's cinemas, and it was truly a great experience. The sound was superb. But as to the actual movie, it was (a bit to my disappointment) almost entirely a concert. The 'story' about trip and his 'trip' has probably a total running time of 10-15 min. They said the were making a movie, they advertised it like a movie, so i imagined it wouldn't be 85% concert. It's a great concert though.

I gave it a 5 because i simply didn't know how to rate this. The fact is: if you love metallica and want to see a concert DVD with some interesting and surreal side story between songs, then you will love this and it would be a 7.5/10. But if you want to see a movie by J.Hetfield coupled with metallica songs, your gonna have a... well not a bad time, just not a very good one either.

Great Metallica concert but I wouldn't call it a movie.

Author: Dinko Bakic from Graz, Austria, Europe
8 October 2013

I just got home and thought I had to write something about this movie.

First of all, I've seen Metallica 9 times live, and I am a fan, but when it comes to their movies, I get sceptical. Remember "Some Kind of Monster"? The movie starts off with an introduction of all characters, which seems unnecessary, except the roadie character Trip (DeHaan).

The band starts their show and Trip gets an unexpected assignment. It seems to me that DeHaan's parts are not more than 10 Minutes in the whole movie.

The rest of the movie is just an awesome Metallica gig with their stage sets from the past, well at least Lady Justice and the Enter Sandman part from the "cunning stunts" video/DVD - box from 1997 and of course some new stage setting ideas.

The roadie has to look for an item, which is somewhere in the city, which seems to be in a parallel universe or Trip is having a trip.

*Spoiler* Its a leather satchel bag, which the band needs to play the gig. As Trip finds it he looks inside, but the viewer cant see whats in it. When Trip then returns to the venue, the movie is over and we are left, not knowing whats in there. BUT if you are a Metallica fan, and stay in your seat, you probably can assume what it is, as the band plays "Orion" during the credits... I read it somewhere else a few minutes ago and I also thought the same while seeing the ending credits,... it's probably Cliff Burtons soul, because its always with Metallica.

A good ending honoring a great bass player!

Bang Your Head!

Author: GnarfleTheGarthok from Texas
3 October 2013

Metallica does it again! These guys always know how to raise the bar for every other metal band out there. IMAX 3D is the way to go! Almost everyone was amped in the theater and we were all pretty much rocking in our seat and singing along. We were even clapping like it was an actual concert! Metallica provided total energy throughout the film. It was 70% concert (like you were on stage with them), 25% action movie, and 5% music video! Anyway, they did not skimp on the effects or the sound! I'm not sure what ssp113 was talking about when he/she stated that the resolution was awful. It was the coolest and clearest thing ever! So, if you are a metal fan and, especially, a Metallica fan, you are going to love this film and rock your way through it!

Worth a watch!

Author: orangeftg from United States
14 October 2013

I have allowed a week to pass before writing this review, mainly so I can be a bit more critical than I would have been otherwise. After some time to absorb this experience, I stand behind most of my initial thoughts.

It rocks. Plain and simple.

Okay, so if you are not a Metallica fan and have nothing better to do than bash this film for being egotistical or lacking in plot or some other such nonsense, please save your breath. This is a movie experience designed for musicians and metal heads. Is it flawless? Absolutely not. Are there scratch-your-head moments? Yep. But is the end result worth it? One hundred percent!

The wraparound storyline seems a tad forced at times, but the imagery and scenery are a welcome break from the flashing lights and grandeur of the concert performance. Metallica prove themselves worthy musicians even after all these years. They also prove that there is a Metallica riff for any type of sequence you will ever encounter in a film. The song choices compliment the action perfectly, building an added layer of depth among a movie that is somewhat lacking in that department. Let's face it, this IS basically just a concert. Like it or not, you are paying to watch a performance first, subplot second.

As a musician, I was hoping for a bit more behind-the-scenes looks than were offered. I know that there must be numerous crew members handling sound mixing, guitar effects, lighting and set changes, all of which would have been an added bonus. (Although perhaps they choose not to give away too many secrets?) A few more camera shots of the fingers, particularly during solos, would also have been great, but I was certainly satisfied with what they offered.

Overall, tremendously mixed, well-imagined experience for anyone with even a remote interest in metal (or just good music). See it in IMAX while you can. It's cheaper than a true concert and you don't have to dodge a moshing mob of sweaty drunks. Well worth the price.

Also they play Orion during the credits. Enough said.

Unreal

Author: deann-15 from Nashville, TN
16 September 2013

I highly suggest this to anyone that is a fan of rock and roll in general. Metallica has provided an unbelievable experience for fans in general of music and it should be noted that you must not be a fan of Metallica to truly appreciate what they've done here and the kind of risk it took. This has never been done before. We are witnessing a band once again trekking onto untracked waters and if anyone can trudge through that and come out successful, well it would be Metallica as they've already proved they can walk through fire and brimstone. Just as they took the giant Napster down, so too they will slay the concert documentary world changing it for the better forever.

Not a movie, just a concert.

Author: Rodrigo Polo from United States
28 January 2014

As many here have said, I love Metallica, but I feel disappointed, I was expecting a movie, and even though it isn't a movie but a concert with a little tiny movie within, the movie doesn't have any explanation on what was all the crazy stuff on the little movie shoots, and what was in the bag at the end, it makes me angry.... but a great concert after all, Cunning Stunts on steroids... or "Cunning Stunts on HD, 3D, Dolby Atmos and 15 years later".

There is not a single reason or explanation on why there are zombies, why there is some kind of rioting, why the guy in the truck is scared or what is happening to him, what is the meaning on the horsemen, no explanation at all.

Some argue that the bag contained Cliff Burton soul, but again, nothing concrete.

something special for special viewers!

Author: geor_20284 from United States
7 October 2013

Just watched it and went back home in awe. It's not only because it was the most spectacular show i 've ever watched, nor because the back story freaked me out. It was because i realized that through the never i got a glimpse from future music entertainment.

Let me guarantee you some things about Through the never. -You WILL have a good time. -You will head bang. -You will grab the person next to you saying "this is surreal mate" -You will sing Metallica songs for the rest of the week. -You will start imagining other bands doing the same thing in the future.

But let me just say some cons -You will have a small headache, similar to the one after a loud concert -You won't see any plot -If you are not a Metallica fan or a metal fan in general you are in for a shock -If you are Mustaine, you will feel like crying again.

Seriously now, nobody should miss it especially in 3D. It is like a big concert video clip. It will change music live shows in the future. Metallica are still pioneers.

Accept this for what it is...

Author: Allan Doyle from Glasgow
18 October 2013

It's a concert film, it's not a movie. Metallica fans or anyone that has ever taken acid will relate to the cut scenes and the metaphors within the journey of Trip the roadie, as ridiculous as they are.

To anyone else, it's pointless, over the top & completely rudderless, but to the hardcore, lifelong fans who revel in the spectacular. It's too short, not loud enough and not a moment too soon.

The first review in IMDb is from "ssp113" he called it the worst "film" he'd ever see. I use my real name on this site, but I've got a feeling his real name might be Dave Mustaine? Ego's..............don't make me laugh, it's METALLICA BABY!!!

Amazing sound and 3D concert!!

Author: blampright from SLC
27 September 2013

Seeing Metallica on an IMAX screen in 3D and hearing them come through the amazing sound systems in IMAX....WOW, what a treat. If you are a Metallica fan DO NOT MISS this opportunity to see the best possible concert experience outside being there in person. The "move" aspect was a fun little adventure, but lets face it, I was there to HEAR Metallica on an amazing sound system.

The Audio was the highest quality best sounding I have ever hear Metallica (or any other band) in my entire life. The sound was loud yet crystal clear with the ability to hear each individual instrument as if they were performing right in front of you. It was astounding! You will not be disappointed in your ears. Watching this on IMAX you will understand why the MP3 format finally needs to die and we need a much higher quality sound format to do our ears justice! I'm desperately trying to find this album in 192khz FLAC, but no dice...guess I'll just have to wait for it on Bluray.

The 3D was equally as good. IMAX 3D is far superior to other theaters, you forget you are wearing glasses and you are completely immersed into the film. It's so crystal clear that it actually feels as if you are right there. IMAX 3D never fails to disappoint!

Bottom line, if you love seeing Metallica live GO SEE THIS "MOVIE"...it's spectacular!

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]