IMDb > 3 Days to Kill (2014) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Don't take it seriously!

Author: bodnarhd from United States
21 February 2014

It is a lot like " True Lies" in that a lot of the movie is played for laughs. Amber Heard fits her role very well. Kevin Costner is great as a man who has spent too much time on work and not enough time on his personal life. That is something most of us can relate too. I see people complain about the subplots but they are what make the movie fun. The character actors are great. Not a miss among them. The chase scenes are good with out going over the top. There were only a couple of times where the movie goes to big explosive special effects that take away from the story. The Daughter, played by Hailee Steinfeld, is excellent. Haiee played Mattie Ross in "True Grit". It will be a great loss to the screen if she goes into directing like she wants.

Get some popcorn, sit back and enjoy the fun.

Excellent entertainment

Author: Randy Miller from United States
23 February 2014

People, movies are entertainment. They are about the willing suspension of disbelief.

Three days to kill is an excellent movie if you are not looking for something deadly serious. Do I believe there are CIA guys out there who kill a dozen people in a week, and leave that kind of mess? Hell no. This is more like a James Bond movie mixed with regular guy.

Sometimes we just want to get out of the house during a long winter and be taken away from all this. I think the movie was well worth the money, and I will buy either the DVD later, or Amazon Prime.

I am not a big Kevin Costner fan, but I think this is one of his best performances.

Solid cast, but a ridiculous storyline

Author: estebangonzalez10 from Ecuador
12 May 2014

"The wolf is the most dangerous terrorist this world has ever faced. Only you can stop him."

Despite not having a great tracking record, there have been a few of McG's movies that I shamelessly found slightly entertaining. 3 Days to Kill began with some promise and I was enjoying Kevin Costner's lead action role, but that feeling didn't last too long once the action scenes and comedy became repetitive. Luc Besson has directed some of my favorite films, but as a screenwriter he hasn't had much success with his latest films. I do have to admit he is trying something different by mixing genres, which partially worked for me in The Family, but it fell flat in 3 Days to Kill. The screenplay was weak, Costner's character kept on having ridiculous blackouts during every climactic scene, the father daughter relationship problems that tried to play out as a comedy were repetitive, and the villains never felt menacing. The only positive thing about 3 Days to Kill were the action scenes and Kevin Costner's star power. It's what he have come to expect from Luc Besson over the past years, some strong actions scenes but poorly written dialogues. 3 Days to Kill feels might have been directed by McG, but it feels much more like a lesser Besson film.

3 Days to Kill opens with a scene at the CIA headquarters where Agent Vivi (Amber Heard) is given an assignment to hunt down a terrorist known as The Wolf (Richard Sammel). No one has actually seen him before, but his associate, The Albino (Tomas Lemarquis) is supposedly going to meet up with him at an international hotel. They also mention to Vivi that they have an agent on the ground named Ethan (Kevin Costner) whose only mission is to take down The Albino. The film then focuses on Ethan as he is getting the job done, but all of a sudden one of the agents is compromised and things get out of control. Ethan saves the day but just as he is about to capture his target he suffers a blackout and wakes up in a hospital where he is told that he has cancer and only a few months to live. He decides to spend his last months in Paris where his ex-wife, Tina (Connie Nielsen), and his teenage daughter, Zooey (Hailee Steinfeld) live. He always had trouble balancing work with family and that eventually led to him losing them, but with only a few months to live he wants to make amends. Right after he arrives in Paris, Vivi shows up with an experimental drug that could save his life with the only condition that he finish the job by hunting down The Wolf and The Albino. In order to spend more time with his family, he accepts, but balancing out work and family proves to be a very difficult task.

I was glad that Kevin Costner got a lead action role and I thought he was pretty solid despite the weak character he was given. He might not be as menacing as Liam Neeson, but he is very charismatic. He had a smaller action role at the beginning of the year in Jack Ryan where he was also solid. Amber Heard gave a strange performance, but she looked great nonetheless. The cast was quite solid with Hailee Steinfeld also delivering, but my major issue had to do with the repetitive storyline and the way the final third of the film played out.

3 Days to Kill is a horrible action film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
9 May 2014

I didn't know what to exactly expect from 3 Days to Kill, a film produced by Luc Besson and directed by McG. Both filmmakers once made audacious and innovative action films, but as the years went by, they seemed to have lost their "magical touch". Would 3 Days to Kill be a continuation of that tendency, or would it be a perfect combination of talents which would take them back to the top? I'm afraid that the answer ended up being the former. The "retired man (cop, thief, spy, plumber, etc.) who has to come back for one last job" premise is well known, and it can bring good results when it's properly handled. And the addition of family melodrama can be employed to humanize the hero. The screenplay from 3 Days to Kill employed all those elements, but they are so badly implemented that they end up hindering with each other instead of complementing. The spy intrigue is developed with an unbearable slowness and isn't interesting at all. The main character's relationship with his daughter seems taken from a bad sitcom, and it can never evoke credible emotions, not to mention that the girl is so whimsical and antipathetic that she doesn't inspire too many wishes in us to see her reconciled with her father. On the positive side, Kevin Costner brings a solid performance and shows a competent physical development during the action scenes. Despite him, 3 Days to Kill is a horrible action film, and a total waste of time. I know that many people hated the frantic style McG used to employ (I personally liked it), but it would have brought some life to 3 Days to Kill, avoiding it from being a pathetic collection of clichés, completely anonymous and without any energy.

Take your chances. You have a 50/50 shot.

Author: Nanosecond from United States
10 May 2014

Maybe I should have seen it coming with the 50/50 poster. Maybe I should have seen it with the 50/50 writing credits. This movie has 50/50 written all over it and, no, I'm not talking about the 2011 film starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen but 3 Days To Kill could have learned a thing or two from that film considering the dark subject matter and light- hearted jokes.

--Spoilers past this point--

Kevin Costner stars as an over-the-hill but still bad-to-the-bone CIA operative with a stuffy nose and light cough that lands him on his back nearly the entire film (wow, after a certain age Hollywood really kicks you when you're down). He is told by his doctor he is suffering from brain cancer which has now spread to his lungs and he only has 3 months to live. To pile it on even more, a CIA representative passes along the news that they no longer need his services. What else can a sick and retired Jack Bauer-esque type man do at such a low point in his life? Ah, yes! Reconnect with your ex-wife and estranged teenage daughter before you kick the bucket. When his ex leaves town for work for 3 days, Costner's character has time to spend, or kill, with his daughter hence the movie title's pun.

So far, so good, right? Well, it would have been had the film focused on picking its tone instead of Amber Heard's next crotch shot. (tangent alert) Yes, I am a red-blooded male and this film made even me roll my eyes at the over-the-top sultriness of Heard's character. She is supposed to be a covert CIA operative in Paris but stands out like a sore thumb...a thumb with Victoria Secret catwalk-ready hair, fire truck red lipstick, and tight, black leather (sometimes latex) dresses. We're never informed why she dresses this way, or why she talks and walks like Jessica Rabbit with a cigarette in hand, especially when the first scene of her in the movie has her looking like Clarice Starling's younger sister. Is she a double agent working with the bad guys? Does she have an incurable shopping addiction? Is she moonlighting at the Red Light District? Your guess is as good as mine. (tangent ended)

We're never quite sure how to feel about this film since the mood is all over the place. Is the film supposed to be a raucous comedy where the bumbling action hero dad goes through every tired cliché of bonding with his hormone-raging teenage daughter? Or is it an action thriller where the aging Rambo goes after the not-so-mysterious-after-all generic terrorists named The Albino and The Wolf? The writers never seem to mesh the two ideas/genres together cleanly and it shows. Did they work separately and then staple their two different scripts together? Something clearly got lost in the shuffle because we shouldn't be laughing during what are meant to be tense, action sequences nor should we be scratching our heads after a joke is uttered unless we know from the start what type of movie this is...which we don't and, clearly, neither do the filmmakers.

At least the main cast knew what time it was and brought their A game. Costner was in fine form as an American cowboy (the reference is thrown around numerous times throughout the film) but he is completely upstaged by the young Hailee Steinfeld who, given her age, is easily able to tap into an honest teenager's feelings of insecurity and resentment. Watching her grow as an actress will be an amazing thing to see in the next couple of years. Connie Nielsen was great but her character was lost in the background. What place can a character who is a mother over 40 have in a quasi action/comedy/thriller piece? Absolutely none so off the screen she goes and she doesn't come back until the climax. Typical.

Bottom line, you're either going to love this movie or hate it. The vague ending sort of leaves room (just a small ray of light) for a sequel so I guess if enough people love it the writers can get to work and start stapling up the next script.

Kevin Costner and cast make a good thriller/drama/part-comedy in 3 Days to Kill

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
22 February 2014

Kevin Costner is a CIA agent who just found out he doesn't have long to live so he agrees to one more assignment from Amber Heard. He has also decided to reacquaint with his estranged wife, Connie Nielsen, and teen daughter, Hailee Steinfeld, in Paris. Oh, and his apartment is inhabited by squatters who he legally can't kick out until the spring. With what I just described, there's plenty of action, drama, and some humor to go along with a pretty entertaining mix of genres that I just was willing to ride along with. The players I mentioned were good enough for this. Really, I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this. So on that note, I recommend 3 Days to Kill.

A film lost in itself

Author: jamesjabbawalden from Australia
10 May 2014

I'm not quite sure what this movie set out to be - a serious CIA thriller, another Bourne/Reacher/Ryan attempt to achieve what James Bond achieved and spawn a remarkable franchise, or a slapstick comedy that didn't take itself too seriously, but enjoyed the thrill of action and explosions in the manner that films such as Die Hard, Mr and Mrs Smith or by Mcg himself, This Means War did. But whatever it's intention was, it failed.

Starting off as a set up to what could be a serious albeit cliqued film - the journeyman agent, the one evil genius still at large, that one last job before calling it a day - the film quickly loses itself in a way that it never quite recovers from. With a wooden performance by Amber Heard, and scenes and dialogue that belong in a Robert Rodriguez film, 3 Days to Kill never lives up to the potential of what it could've been. Not quite action, not quite spy thriller, not quite comedy, and so many botched attempts at sentimentality that it becomes almost soap operaish in it's execution.

A solid performance by Kevin Costner, who's gone along the lines of Liam Neeson in perfecting the senior bad ass role, but even Costner wasn't enough to give this film plausability. I've watched it once, I couldn't see myself enduring it again.

Taken for a Ride

Author: drjgardner from California
21 February 2014

There's not much to recommend this film. Neither the acting, direction, script, music, or photography offer anything new to the genre, and in some cases, it is far below average. Among the actors, only 18 year old Hailee Steinfeld (she plays Costner's daughter) stands out. You'll remember her from "Enders Game" and "True Grit" and I thought this was her best performance to date. Costner has played this role so many times before he's obviously bored with it, and it doesn't even begin to approach his work in "The Bodyguard". Amber Heard is completely miscast, and even if she weren't, the dialog and the crazy costume changes would be difficult to overcome. Indeed Heard's costume changes are a metaphor for the film itself, which doesn't seem to know whether it is a comedy (in which case it fails), an action thriller (which is far too long and not too thrilling), a romance (without much spark by anyone), or just a plain family adventure (with too much violence).

Luc Besson provided the story and the screenplay. Besson is a gifted writer with such marvelous credits as "La Femme Nikita", "Leon" (aka "The Professional"), "The Fifth Element", and "Columbiana". He also wrote "Taken", "The Transporter", and "Kiss of the Dragon" which weren't as good as the first group, but still well above average. This film has elements from many of his previous works, but the stitching comes loose in this one. Most of Besson's best films he also directed, so perhaps the problem lies there. Or perhaps it lies with director McG who is primarily a TV director and producer. Indeed, the film's uneven tone was clearly one of the major problems with his "Chuck" series.

Give this one a miss. Apart from the many on location shots of Paris, there's not much to recommend it.

A Real Stinker

Author: donaldthane
30 May 2014

Cliché after cliché, all of them done horribly wrong. This movie feels like it was pasted together from the scraps and additional scenes of a movie that never made it to the screen because it was so bad. If your car felt as retooled as this movie, it would jump from drive to reverse as you're going down the road. It would shock you (with actual electricity) when you try to turn on the radio, the washer fluid nozzles would be mounted on the INSIDE of the windshield and when you put on your left turn signal the entire vehicle would explode. I don't know what Kevin Costner was thinking, or how Luc Besson's name got attached to this movie. It's as if Luc got drunk and accidentally sold a story to a bartender and a coked-up producer, and the two of them fell out and fought their way to making a crap story into the worst movie possible. The female CIA agent who recruits Costner is one of the worst screen characters I have ever seen. The attempts at making her unique and interesting are so amateurish that I couldn't even make out the intent of the filmmakers. That character alone would ruin a good movie, and this stinker is the furthest thing from a good movie. It doesn't even qualify as a movie if your definition of such includes a coherent story line.

Taken 2 Meets 3 Days Of Stupidity **

Author: paris_whitney_hilton_nyc from United States
23 February 2014

3 Days To Kill is your typical run of the mill action movies you've probably seen hundreds of times before . CIA agent Kevin Costner is chasing the Wolf who possesses some dirty nuclear bombs he would love to sell to some very naughty terrorists . The movie begins with the now too familiar shootouts, explosions, chase, and fight scenes . And then comes the idiotic subplots . Costner is dying from brain cancer and has only months to live . Not to worry because a beautiful, fast driving, platinum blonde, leather clad, CIA boss, Amber Heard comes along in the nick of time . She pulls a hypodermic needle the size of a football pump out of her handbag . It contains a not yet FDA approved anti brain cancer drug . This gives Costner a temporary new lease on life . So he goes back to his rundown tenement house located in the shabbiest part of Paris . Well guess what ? A large homeless North African Black family decided to move in to his dilapidated apartment during his absence . They have even taken the liberty of painting his bedroom an awful shade of yellow ! Don't worry, Costner's arsenal of handguns and assault rifles have been well cared for by the older gentleman squatter who now resides there . Subplot number 3 is next as the dying Costner decides to look up his ex wife and rebellious 16 year old daughter he hasn't seen in about 10 years . Predictably, the movie goes from Costner being a complete stranger to the most annoying hands-on, know it all dad, and of course the most merciless cold blooded killer the CIA has ever had . Unfortunately, seductive Amber Heard's sexy scenes are few and far between . I enjoyed seeing her various hair styles and leather dominatrix outfits in this otherwise tedious and imbecilic movie . The ending is similar to that of Taken 2 . All the bad guys, I guess about one hundred , are dead . His wife and daughter love and idolize him dearly , and for Christmas he receives not a necktie but another giant hypodermic horse needle filled with the magic potion to keep him alive a little longer . Hopefully, it's not to make a sequel ! I would rather spend 3 days in the dentist's chair getting a root canal than having to watch 3 Days To Kill again .

I gave 3 Days To Kill a generous 2 ** stars out of a possible 10 . Pass this awful mess up . You will thank me later . Not Hot ! ............. PWH

Page 1 of 15:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]